The Year of the Cat Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kiyoshi smiled and bowed in return. "Your Japanese is getting better all the time, Matta-san!"

The two entered the ever-punctual train heading towards Tokyo and took a seat. Over the course of an hour, stop after stop, the closer the train approached the metropolitan area of Tokyo proper, the more people crowded into the car. Matt noticed an elderly couple enter and stood up to offer his seat and the empty one next to it to them. The couple looked amazed to be granted such politeness from a Westerner. They bowed, respectfully over and over to Matt who couldn't do anything but blush and smile in response. Kiyoshi patted Matt's shoulder, standing beside him.

"You have a Buddha heart, Matta-san."

When it was time to transfer to the Tokyo Rail Line, the elderly couple once again stood and bowed to Matt as he left. Matt bowed in return before slipping out of the door, beet red and grinning.

There was practically no space to move when the next crowded train car began moving. Matt blinked in surprise when the train stopped at it's first stop. Throngs of dark haired people were already there at the station, standing in line, waiting.

"Oh well... Guess they're going to have to catch the next train, eh?"

Kiyoshi raised his eyebrows and tightened his grip on the dangling hand hold.

The doors slid open and to Matt's surprise, the multitudes rushed in. He suddenly felt constricted from all around as bodies shoved their way into train car. A small man's chin was practically rested on Matt's shoulder, another had to stand so close, his breath was felt on Matt's neck.

"So much for not being touched since I've been here!" he thought to himself, feeling his personal space bubble being invaded on multiple fronts.

"Next stop, Matta-san!" he heard Kiyoshi's voice in the quiet crowd. The illuminated sign above the door read "Asakusa Next"

Matt caught sight of the bright red puff on the top of Kiyoshi's winter hat, bouncing towards the opening doors. Matt followed, attempting in vain to miss stepping on people's feet as he exited the packed train.

Matt followed Kiyoshi through the streets of Tokyo, marveling at the tall skyscrapers, the remarkable infrastructure of the city and the staggering multitudes of people in all directions.

Suddenly, the two found themselves standing before a bright red Torii gate. Matt had come to understand these gates represented the passage from the mundane to the sacred. The heavy scent of burning incense wafted towards them. Matt reached into his pocket to procure his Goshuin-cho as he and Kiyoshi walked together towards the five story pagoda in the large courtyard, heavily congested with crowds of people.

"Ah! You are on a pilgrimage, I see!" Kiyoshi exclaimed, catching sight of the small book in Matt's hand.

"Oh... I'm not a Buddhist..." Matt replied. "So, this is just a collector's item." He said, casually flipping through the pages to admire the unique beauty of each entry.

"Do you know who else was not a Buddhist?" Kiyoshi asked with a glint in his eye. "The Buddha! He simply felt the message in his heart... like you, Matta-san!"

Matt blinked. "Well, then... my pilgrimage is almost over! Only nine blank pages remain."

"We will go together to Goshuin after we offer a prayer for the New Year: the Year of the Tiger."

"The Tiger..." Matt thought to himself. The sudden image of Bubsy cat stalking Janice's dangling robe belt popped into his mind, causing an involuntary chuckle. "I guess I'm having a rather feline year, myself." he mused with a smile, reminiscing on his furry, black friend back home.

"I will pray for prosperity for you and your loved ones!" Kiyoshi grinned after lighting the bundle of incense and placing it in the large brazier with the hundreds of other burning bundles. Matt followed suit, clapping his hands twice to catch the attention of the the spirits and offering respect with a bow and a quiet prayer of gratitude.

Later that night Matt smiled at the beautiful new seal in his Goshuin-cho from Senso-ji. Japan finally felt less intimidating and more intimate to him. "A trip to Tokyo by myself seems like it would be pretty easy..." Matt thought to himself, eyeing the scrap of paper on the desk that Paul had given to him last week. Tempting thoughts swirled in his head. Matt sighed. "I need to clear my head!"

He knew Janice would be up soon and he was eager to be the first person to wish her a Happy Valentine's Day.

"Hello, my Valentine!" Janice smiled at Matt's face on the phone as she stretched her limbs in bed, yawning.

"Happy Valentine's, sweetheart!" Matt replied.

"I got your flowers last night! Thank you! It's such a gorgeous arrangement."

"It's an unworthy substitute to what I would do if I was there with you." Matt pouted.

"They're still beautiful... and they mean the world to me." Janice replied. "Besides, we'll have plenty of opportunities to make up for it. Speaking of which... have you thought of which one of your Love Coupons you want to use first?"

"Hmm..." Matt pondered with a wry smile. "I see a few of these 'Wild Cards'... what are those?"

A naughty grin spread across Janice's lips. "Anything you want, baby... ANYTHING!"

The two enjoyed their chat through Matt's evening and Janice's morning. Janice let Matt watch her take a shower, which he savored not only for the display of erotic gorgeousness, but also for the opportunity to purge his testicles of his mind corrupting semen.

After Janice hung up with Matt, she took her morning coffee in peaceful repose at the dining room table. Her robe clutched tightly to her body, warding off the February chill seeping through the aged walls of the apartment building.

The mood was so quiet and peaceful that the loud knock on the front door sounded out like a crash, practically startling the coffee cup from Janice's hand.

Janice cautiously opened the door to see a young, disheveled delivery man, panting for air next to an enormous light purple, stuffed teddy bear. The giant plush toy was literally taller than the young man and twice as wide. The struggle the man must have endured to drag the gargantuan bear up three flights of stairs must have been significant. The man was leaning against it, catching his breath.

"Please tell me you're Janice Paige..." the delivery man breathed.

"Yes! I am..." Janice looked with wide eyes upon the massive whimsical object.

Relief washed over the man's face. "Phew! Sign here."

Janice struggled to fit the stuffed bear through the front door. An attached card read: "From your Valentine- Bobby."

Janice sighed in trepidation, wondering where she was going to fit this ridiculously large stuffed animal. She ended up dragging it to the glass doors of her balcony. The bear was so big that it blocked the view of the street outside, entirely.

Janice shook her head at the leering smile, sewn into the bear's face. "What am I going to do with you?" she moaned, pertaining both to the obtuse present and to the man responsible for sending it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weeks passed. March approached, bringing more temperate climates for Matt and Janice, both.

Janice was looking forward to a visit from her mother, who was planning on driving up to stay for a couple weeks.

"If I don't get away now, I may miss the chance." she said one day over the phone. "Your poor sister is really being taken to the cleaners by Joey's attorneys... I have a feeling she going to be sleeping on my pull out bed soon."

"Oh, poor Tracy... " Janice sighed. "I should give her a call."

"She'd really love to hear from you, I'm sure, Baby Girl."

Later that day, after lunch, Janice dialed her sister's phone number.

"Well, hey, sis!" Tracy exclaimed over the phone.

"Hi, Tracy. How are you holding up?" said Janice, pensively.

"Oh god... just shoot me and get it over with!" Tracy chuckled. "Seriously... I'm just looking forward to this divorce being done with at this point."

"I'm so sorry... you have to come visit me after you settle in at Mom's apartment."

Tracy groaned. "I can't believe I'm moving back in with Mom..." A quiet moment passed over the phone. "Janice, I know you and Bobby have been together for a long time... but, please... don't do what I did: don't settle for the wrong guy."

"I'm not." Janice said, smiling to herself. "Me and Bobby are through, finally, and I'm with a really great fella now... I can't wait for you to meet him!"

"Oh! Janice!" Tracy squealed with delight. "I'm so happy for you! I always thought you were too good for Bobby. So... what's this new guy like?"

"Oh, you'll love Matt! He's wonderful. Just the sweetest man in the whole wide world!"

"Hmmm." Tracy mused. "... and the sex?"

Janice let out a short laugh. "...is on a whole new level, Tracy! He rocks my fucking world!"

"Oh my god... " Tracy laughed. "I'm so jealous! I haven't been fucked properly in years!"

"Well... don't forget! We still have our pact, remember?"

Tracy guffawed loudly over the phone. "We were wasted on Boone's Farm when we made that pact!"

"It doesn't make it 'not real'!" Janice exclaimed. "and besides... his dick is so big, it has its own zip code, I swear to God!" she said, laughing.

Tracy gasped. "I... might have to head to your place before Mom's if that's cool."

"Absolutely!" Janice answered, gleefully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, in Japan, Matt only had two more pages to fill in his Goshuin-cho. He ventured brave distances during his Sunday rail journeys, hunting for shrines and temples nestled in the endless urban sprawl.

By this time, Matt was friendly with the familiar passengers on his daily train commute, who smiled and sometimes practiced their English with him, as well as the grocery store attendants that smiled and bowed upon his arrival. "Konnichiwa!" he would exclaim.

Despite the thrill of this novel lifestyle, Matt could not deny the pull on his heartstrings, ever-reeling him back to his home. He wasn't alone. The entire crew of men, obviously felt similar.

"I'm just bidin' my time." said Sterling, one of the two older men of the crew. "I got my tunes there in my room. James stops by with some of that sake' most evenins'. I like that. But... yeah, I can't wait to get home." he sighed.

"Me too, man." Matt nodded. "We might have some good news about that at the next progress meeting, though."

Sterling's ears twitched as he leaned in close.

"You guys are kickin' so much ass..." Matt continued, quieter. "that our departure date might get pushed forward. Now... don't say anything to anyone yet... but, if that happened: do you think the guys would be ok with going home early?"

Sterling looked at Matt as though he had suddenly grown two more heads. "You goddam right!" The aged black man looked as though he was about to give Matt a hug. He settled with an enthusiastic pat on the shoulder. "That's what I'm talking about! You know, I- I really enjoyed working with you, Mr. Matt."

Matt smiled, humbled. "Thank you, Sterling. I really appreciate all your hard work. Now, keep that bit of news between you and me, ok?"

Later that day, Matt strolled back to the work site, wearing a bright smile. When he turned the corner to enter, he was surprised to find his five man crew waiting, expectantly for him with eager attention.

Matt chuckled to himself, casting a glance at Sterling, who quickly looked away, feigning innocence.

"So?" spoke Olsen, from the back.

Matt couldn't contain his smile. "This time... next week... we'll be home."

The job site erupted into wild cheers of celebration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Baby Girl!" shouted Linda, when Janice opened the front door.

"Hi, Mom!" Janice exclaimed, rushing to embrace her.

Linda stepped through the door with wide eyes and a slack jaw. "Holy shit!" she exclaimed, looking at the multitudes of healthy looking house plants, crowded in scattered arrangements throughout the apartment. "It looks like a greenhouse in here! Where are you growing the weed?"

Janice shook her head, grinning. "No pot, but plenty of other herbs!"

"Well, I always carry seeds, so we'll get a couple started while I'm here." Linda replied, casually. She cast her eye over her daughter in admiring observation. "Well, well! Look at you!"

Janice regarded Linda, quizzically.

"You! Your body!" Linda exclaimed. Janice was wearing her skin tight yoga pants and a bright orange, fitted T-shirt, braless. "You look incredible! Your arms and legs are so toned and your waist is so tiny and you even got a little bubble butt going! So cute! And besides that you look... happy!"

Janice blushed, but inside she was beaming with pride. "Thanks... I am happy, Mom!"

Linda's eyes welled up with tears of joy. She couldn't resist giving her daughter another loving embrace.

"...and, jesus... those titties!" Linda marveled, feeling the significant pressure against her own huge bosom. "Those have DEFINITELY gotten bigger!" she said, standing back and gawking at Janice's immense chest. "I bet you could fit in that M cup bra I got for free at Dee Dee's ... if you can, it's yours... I only wore it that one time."

Janice nodded. "I probably wear bras as much as you do these days: hardly ever."

"That's my girl!" Linda winked.

Linda went about unpacking her suitcase in Matt's room. As agreed previously, Linda would be sleeping in Matt's available bed during her two week visit. She grinned, excitedly at the clean bathtub, as she prepared to soak away the stress of the five hour drive she had just endured.

"Come share a joint with me while I soak, honey!" Linda called out, lowering herself, gingerly into the hot, bubbled froth of her bath.

Janice sauntered into the bathroom with an ashtray and lighter. "How's the settlement going?"

Linda lit the large joint and inhaled, deeply. She smiled at Janice as she blew the smoke out. "Swimmingly, darling! I'm literally swimming in Ethic Financial's tears!" she cackled. "They're begging me to take six figures, but my lawyer... oh god, he's ruthless. I might walk out of this a millionaire!"

Janice clapped her hands and hopped up in down, cheering, excitedly. "Oh my god! I'm so happy! Congratulations!"

"I would have missed this completely if it wasn't for you, sweety." Linda said, passing the joint to her daughter.

Janice took a long drag. "So would I, if Bobby hadn't told me."

"Bobby... who would have thought, huh?" Linda shook her head, amazed. "Sorry I've been so hard on him... I can only assume that you two are doing better these days."

"Uhh.." Janice hesitated, still not willing to tell her mother she was sleeping with Matt. "The space apart has been good for both of us."

Janice hoped she wasn't coming across as suspiciously cryptic. Fortunately, Linda was absorbed in complete relaxation as a white cloud was expelled from her lips.

The ladies enjoyed their relaxed company together throughout the week. Janice invited her downstairs neighbor, Gracie up to have some tea and meet her mom. Gracie gave an enthusiastic approval of Janice's green thumb and an even more enthusiastic approval of the thumb sized joint Linda offered her, much to Janice's surprise.

One late afternoon, as her mother napped in Matt's room, Janice was startled to hear an unexpected knock on the door.

"Who could this be?" she thought, slipping a robe and plodding to the door.

"Surprise!" shouted Bobby when the door swung open.

Janice was completely taken aback. "Oh shit! I forgot all about him visiting!" she fretted, silently.

"Bobby! Hi!" Janice exclaimed, trying to sound convincingly pleased. She instinctively closed her robe up to her neck, attempting to cover her bust with her arms. "What are you doing here?"

"Told ya I was stopping by... when'd you go blonde?" Bobby said, furrowing his brows at her hair.

"Uhh... right around New Year's... "

"Hmm. Anyway... ready for that coffee?"

Janice blinked, looking down at her state of dress. "No. Of course, not! My mom is here visiting! You didn't even warn me you were coming over."

"Oh! Where is Linda? I'm sure she'll want to thank me."

"She's taking a nap..." Janice rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Listen, just come hang out in my room while I get ready. It'll only take a few minutes."

Bobby followed Janice to her room and took a seat at Janice's small computer desk. She hastily picked off clothing items that had been draped over Bobby's ridiculously large Valentine's Day gift.

"You're welcome for that bear..." Janice heard him say while she carried her clothes to the bathroom.

"Yeah... thanks. Bobby." she replied, closing the door. "You really didn't have to, though."

"Well, like I said before... I'm trying to be a-"

Just then, Janice's phone on her desk quietly lit up. Bobby leaned forward, curiously to see who the text was from.

"...good person."

The screen read: "Message from Matty: Surprise, baby! It's official! I had to wait until it was confirmed, but it looks like I'll be home SUNDAY NIGHT!! Sorry it's such short notice. Holy shit I can't wait to bathe every inch of your body with my tongue!!"

Bobby's cheeks burned red with rage. He read the message again. Sunday was in three days. Seething in silent resentment, his eyes shifted to the closed bathroom door, as he quietly picked up Janice's phone and typed a response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt stared, unbelieving at his phone screen. "This can't be real..." his shaking voice uttered to the empty room.

"I know this is sudden," Janice's reply text read. "but, it's over between us. The time apart has made me realize that I should be with Bobby and not you. We had a fun thing, but I have to grow up and get my priorities right. Janice.

p.s. your terrible in bed."

Matt chuckled, despite the urge to tear up, wiping his eyes clear from watering. His reply text read: "haha. that's a weird joke, babe."

The message was immediately sent back with an error message: "Unable to deliver."

"... the fuck?" Matt blinked through his panic as he quickly tried again and again with the same result.

Matt's finger stabbed the glass of his display as he frantically dialed Janice's number. Three beeps were heard and then the call failed.

"Oh god... she's really blocked me..." Matt paled. A cold sweat formed on his forehead as he considered the heartbreaking reality, foolishly thought impossible, may in fact, be coming true. "No... no, this isn't her. Something is wrong. She would never just... w-would she?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Janice finally emerged from the bathroom, made up and dressed in a pair of faded jeans and a large, extra thick wool sweater.

Bobby was waiting, feet propped up on her desk, his face bearing a satisfied grin. Janice's phone laid on the desk, exactly where she put it. The evidence of the malicious text had been removed from sight.

"Ready at last?" Bobby crooned.

"I am not sorry you had to wait." Janice deadpanned directly into Bobby's eyes. "It's what you get for dropping In on me unannounced."

Bobby held up his palms in surrender. "I didn't mind waiting! I kept myself occupied, don't worry."

The two exited Janice's bedroom to find Linda, groggily preparing a pot of coffee. Her eyes raised and then did an amazed double take.

"Bobby!" Linda exclaimed. She had made the fortunate decision to don a robe before leaving the bedroom. Linda shuffled in her slippers to give Bobby a polite hug. "What a surprise! Geeze... how long has it been?"

Bobby raised his eyes, thinking back. "Tracy's wedding, right?"

"That's it!" Linda snapped her fingers. "Wow! So... golly, thank you for your help with the lawyer."

"You're welcome. Hope it turns out well for you." Bobby replied. "Hey! I have an idea: how about the three of us go to dinner? Say... Sunday evening?"