All Comments on 'Their First Time'

by MxPossum

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Using the words they and their gives the connotation more than one. The storyline would go smoother with out that.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

This pronoun crap is ridiculous, they/their is plural.

MxPossumMxPossumalmost 2 years agoAuthor

Thank you for your feedback, previous commentators. There are times when using they/them makes the meaning a little more difficult to make clear, but this is also true for any story which has two characters who both use "he". I like to write stories with characters who use different kinds of pronouns to both improve the gender diversity represented in stories on Literotica, and to push myself to improve my writing.

I included a note about the pronouns at the beginning of the story so you don't have to read it if that bothers you. Have a good day!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

This doesn't make any sense. Why are you using they, their, and them when its referring to one person?

MxPossumMxPossumalmost 2 years agoAuthor

'They' has been used in English to refer to a single person since at least the 1300s. It is very common in everyday speech, and is used as a singular pronoun in many classics of English literature, including works by Shakespeare. There are times when the intended meaning can be unclear, but as mentioned above this can be true is many stories where only "he" or "she" is used for multiple characters as well. To say that it "doesn't make sense", however, is entirely untrue. This is a standard use in English, when the gender is obfuscated, uncertain, or non-binary. I hope this helps, thank you for your comment.

https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-singular-they/

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The use of they took away from a very good story

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A solid little story! I'd have liked a bit more of Gerald's emotional state, maybe their anxiety at what Sammy might be thinking or excitement at trying something new. Their desire for more skin contact was very cute though, and helped convey the cramped feeling of the bathroom stall divider. Hope to see more from you!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMxPossum@MxPossum
Queer writer based in Appalachia, writing stories about trans and queer love, sex, and pleasure, from the everyday to the extraordinary.