Time Flies Ch. 01

Story Info
The Natty, and the TCPD is tested.
15.9k words
4.83
7.9k
10

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/21/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 1 - Prologue

6:45am, Thursday, January 2nd.

"Yo, Rebel!" said Sr. Detective Theo Washington as he came into MCD, speaking to Ole Miss graduate and Sr. Detective Teddy Parker, "You're looking relaxed these days!"

"You'd look relaxed, too," said Detective Sergeant Julia Rodriguez, "if you'd put a ring on your wife's finger like the one Teddy put on Janice Holloway's at the Policeman's Ball." Everyone laughed.

"Hey, Lieutenant," Theo said to Lt. Jerome Davis, "you going to be the next one to put a ring on a girl's finger next Policeman's Ball?"

"I'm not sure I'll wait that long." said Jerome. That got an 'ooooooh' out of the group. Then Davis said: "Oh, hi Commander. Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year." I said, coming up and shaking Jerome's hand. I went around shaking everyone's hand and conveying the greetings of the new year. "Did everyone's teams win in the bowls?"

"Mine did, last week." said Teddy, whose Ole Miss Rebels had defeated the Cincinnati Bearcats in the Music City Bowl.

"The Bulldogs walloped Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl." said Vice Detective Sergeant Roy McGhillie.

"Yeah we did." said Commander Cindy Ross as she walked in the door. She high-fived Roy.

"Auburn crushed Northwestern, 56-6." Teresa Croyle said as she came in.

"Sorry, Lieutenant... Eastern State beat Navy in the Military Bowl." said Theo, a graduate of Eastern State, while Lt. Jerome Davis's father had retired from the Navy. Theo quickly said "What about your team, Commander Troy?"

"My team hasn't played yet." I said, knowing they knew. "We'll be playing Monday night." My team, the Wildcats, would be playing Alabama for the National Championship and the Crystal Trophy.

"Commander," said Jerome Davis, "you guys staying for the coffee klatch? I'll make more if you are."

"No, they're not staying." growled a voice in the back doorway. Sheriff Griswold came on in the room. "Happy New Year, everyone. And everyone named 'Commander', let's go..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, January 3rd, from the anchor desk in the KXTC studios. "Controversy continues to swirl in local Courts as the State Legislature reconvenes under the gold dome of the State Capitol in Midtown!"

Bettina began: "After an allegedly illegal Christmas concert on Courthouse Square on Christmas Eve, Superior Court Judge Harry R. Nance attempted to press Contempt of Court charges against Police Commander Donald Troy for ignoring his Court Order to cease and desist having the concert on the Square. Judge Nance also filed Contempt charges against Clerk of the Court Trudy Morton for misfiling his Court Order, which wasn't filed until December 26th."

Bettina: "Judge Patrick R. Folsom, whose office had told KXTC that he was on vacation for the rest of the year, came into Court and rescinded Judge Nance's orders, citing that Commander Troy had a legal contract with the Town & County to have his First Amendment Rally, and that he could not be held responsible for a misfiled Court Order. Judge Folsom also said that Judge Nance had not proved Clerk Morton was the one responsible for the paperwork SNAFU... if it was a mistake at all, implying that Judge Nance had not issued the order before the Courthouse offices closed at 5:00pm on December 24th."

Bettina: "The Social Justice group 'Citizens For Secular Atheism' filed a lawsuit against The Guardians Group, LLC., the name under which Commander Troy rented the Square, citing that he illegally held a religious event on Government property. The case was immediately dismissed with prejudice by Judge Folsom, but the group is appealing the decision to Appellate Judge Leahy."

Bettina: "And more controversy erupted as the State Legislature convened yesterday in Midtown! Normally, the first bill in each chamber of the Legislature is the Budget Bill, but Democrat State Representative Tasheeka Harris of Inner Midtown and Republican Minority Leader Wilson Hammonds of Pottsville jointly pushed another bill to the front of the line. House Bill 1 is the official measure to impeach deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared!"

Bettina: "The bill, which will be transformed into Articles of Impeachment and sent to the State Senate if passed, accuse Governor Jared of Abuse of Power and Obstruction of the State Legislature. The Governor's Press Secretary, Sarah Honeysuckle, said that there was no law making obstruction of the State Legislature a crime, and that the Governor has repeatedly been absolved of false abuse of power charges..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Over a week later, and Bettina is still whining about the First Amendment Rally." Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle said as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "You'd think she'd be supportive of the First Amendment, her being a reporter and all."

"Is Nance still trying to create problems?" Chief Moynahan asked.

"No sir." I said. "He got in a lot of trouble over confronting Clerk of the Court Morton, who is our Sergeant Morton's cousin, by the way."

"Yeah he did." said Teresa.

Indeed, on December 26th, Nance had flown into the Clerk's office and began yelling and screaming at Clerk Morton. He had brought two Deputies to haul her off to jail, as well. Unfortunately for him, Judge Folsom had made a 'surprise' appearance, and the Police Officer with him was a woman with oak leaves on the shoulders of her uniform, and known to have a bad attitude around Christmas season. Lt. Croyle ordered the Deputies out of the room (and they complied), then she confronted Nance.

The Clerk of the Court wanted to file assault charges against Nance, saying his verbal language and gestures toward her were intimidating and made her fear for her personal safety, and Teresa was ready, willing, and very eager to make the arrest. But Judge Folsom told her that she should file a civil lawsuit against Nance instead... which she promptly did.

And while KXTC tried to bury that part of the story, KFXU could not talk about it enough. ADA Franklin Washington gave them an interview, saying that Nance's actions were not only improper but criminal, and that Nance should resign from the Bench, as he could no longer be an effective arbiter of Justice in the Courtroom.

"And Judge Folsom is trying to keep Judge Watts out of the limelight, but also off any potentially big cases." I said. "Folsom apparently fears that Watts could be suspended over those bribery charges. So we are looking at Folsom and Nance being our only active Superior Court judges around here."

"I heard that it's becoming a problem for the D.A.'s Office, as well." said Deputy Chief Cindy Ross. "Miriam Walters ordered Paulina Patterson not to appear in Judge Nance's Courtroom, and Nance made a point to tell Miriam that Franklin Washington in his Courtroom was a conflict of interest at best, since Washington was running against Nance for his judicial seat. Miriam has again suggested to Franklin that he take a leave of absence, and he not only refused but accused her of racial bias in making the suggestion. It's a total mess."

"Harumph." growled Sheriff Griswold. "Miriam brought this on herself. Shows what happens when one tries to go against the Iron Crowbar."

I almost groaned out loud at that, and the Chief looked nonplussed. But that was nothing compared to the cold fire that had flashed in Cindy's ice blue eyes... she and I were still not on very good terms in the office, and the Chief had had to all but order her to the coffee klatch on days the Sheriff was in the house.

"I would suggest that this is exactly what Miriam Walters wants." I said. "It makes Savannah Fineman her 'go to' ADA for any big cases, giving Fineman the big boost in her race against Ted Mason for Solicitor."

"Mis-ter Crowbarrrr," said Chief Moynahan, "D.A. Walters is a smart and savvy woman, but she does not have your acumen to put something like this together. Mayyyyy-beeee to take advantage of it, though."

"I agree, Chief." I said.

"By the way," growled the Sheriff, "where is Captain Perlman?"

"She's meeting with Roy McGhillie." I said. "Letting him down easy for what we're going to be announcing."

"What did Roy do?" Cindy asked, surprised. She was hearing this for the first time, herself.

"Nothing." said the Chief. "But we are about to 'fundamentally transform' Vice. And don't say a word about it yet..."

Part 2 - Police Business

"You wanted to see me, ma'am?" said Detective Sergeant Roy McGhillie, poking his head into the door of Captain Tanya Perlman's office after knocking.

"Yes!" Tanya said, putting enthusiasm into her voice. "Come on in. Have a seat." Roy sat down on the loveseat sofa in front of Tanya's desk.

"Thanks for coming in early, this morning." said Tanya. "How was your Holiday?"

"Good, ma'am." said Roy McGhillie. "Spent it with my family, and Becca's." Roy was engaged to Becca Larrington, younger sister of the late Goth Girl Kathy Larrington.

"You can tell me this is none of my business," said Tanya, "but have you guys set a date yet?"

"Well, it's not March 28th." Roy said with a grin, knowing that was Tanya's wedding date. "We had put it off until Becca finished School, and that's going to happen this Spring. So maybe in the Summer or Fall."

"Good." said Tanya. She paused, then said "The reason I called you in is to give you a heads-up on what we're going to do with Vice. You've been doing just fine in there, but there's a Lieutenant slot to fill, and we're going to. And I wanted to let you know first that you're not going to be the one. You're just too young, even for this Police Department."

"I understand, ma'am." Roy said, putting on a stoic face.

"So I want to ask you what you want to do." said Tanya. "You can stay in Vice, as you are now, as its Detective Sergeant. Or you can go to one of the Precincts, probably 1st Precinct, as a Senior Sergeant... and possibly as the de facto Precinct Lieutenant, though you won't be promoted or brevetted to Lieutenant."

"What about MCD?" asked Roy.

Tanya let her face fall a little bit, to show her empathy, as she said "I'm afraid there's no room in the Inn, there. Joanne Warner is coming back on February 1st, so the berths are full. However, if you're in the Precincts, you'd be the first-line Detective at any crime scenes, and we could definitely stand to have more of that."

Roy nodded. "You know, it might not be a bad thing to go to the Precinct. Becca has always worried about me since the 'Night of the Cobra', when I was wounded. I think she'd love me to get out of Vice. Can I think about it?" (Author's note: 'Moonlight Shadow', Ch. 01, for the Night of the Cobra.)

"Oh, sure. It's a big decision." Tanya said. "But let me know soon, like next Monday at the latest. You can go. And thanks again for coming in."

"No problem, ma'am." said Roy. "I'll let you know by Monday..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He took it well, I think." Tanya said as she, Teresa, and I began the Angels Meeting after watching the KFXU morning report. "I think he was disappointed there was no place in MCD, but it is what it is."

"True." I said, nodding. "Okay, let's tell our Vice Lieutenant candidate the news." I looked at Teresa and said "Do you want to be in there with us?"

"I wouldn't miss it." Teresa said. "Just to see the look on his face, if nothing else..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We were in the Main Conference Room. The Chief was in his usual place at the near end of the table. I was to his left, and Commander Croyle was to my left. The space to the Chief's right was left empty, and Captain Perlman was parked to the right of the empty seat.

"O-kayyyyy," said the Chief, "we're in agreement on this?" We all nodded. "Okay, call him in." A moment later there was a knock on the door, and Lieutenant Micah Rudistan came in, wearing a dark blue uniform like those of his Officers in 2nd Precinct.

"Come in, Mr. Roood-i-stan." said the Chief, using the pronunciation that had become popular since Carole was heard saying it that way. "Have a seat."

"Yes sir." said Rudistan. Looking around, he said "Am I going to need a Union Rep, sir?"

I said "Not unless you just want him or her to be here to hear the good news." I leaned forward a bit and said "Lieutenant Rudistan, you have done an outstanding job in this Police Force, in every job you've been given. Your knowledge and experience have been very helpful to us. And you've answered the call whenever we've needed you... and we need you to answer that call now."

"Yes sir." said Rudistan "What's it about?"

I said "We are going to put you in Vice, as Vice Lieutenant. And it is an offer you cannot refuse."

"Sir?" Rudistan gasped, not quite jovial, obviously surprised.

Tanya took it up: "Lieutenant, you've done well in 2nd Precinct, and we know you grew up on the Southside and that you're very familiar with how gangs work, and all that. We also know that drug activity is slowly on the rise, and we need your knowledge and experience to lead the Vice Squad in interdicting it."

I said "I know you've resisted it in the past, but I have to have my best people in the right places, so it's time for you to step up and run with the ball in Vice."

"Yes sir." said Rudistan. Then he grinned jovially and said "Does this mean I get to attend the coffee klatches in MCD in the mornings?" We all burst out laughing at that.

"Yes." Teresa said. "Or wherever Commander Ross is. You know how much she loves having you in her coffee klatches."

"Oh, I need hazardous duty pay for that, ma'am!" Rudistan said, making us laugh some more.

Teresa said "Seriously, Micah, you've done a great job for me with 2nd Precinct, and I hate losing you. But you deserve this shot at the title, so make me proud."

"Yes ma'am." said Rudistan.

After Rudistan was dismissed, the Chief said "My observation and deduction is that he's secretly very happy about this."

"Oh yeah... yes sir." Teresa said. "I could see it in his eyes." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

"Soooooo." said the Chief. "We're agreed on Lieutenant DeLong going from 1st to 2nd Precinct?"

"Yes sir." said Teresa. "I talked to Captain Abram before coming in here, and he's good with that, too."

Chief Moynahan made like an owl and said "So whooooooo will replace DeLong at 1st Precinct?"

"We'll have to talk to Captain Hewitt about that." Teresa said. "My first thought is that if McGhillie goes to 1st Precinct, he can be put in that job. Otherwise, I want to hear Hewitt's ideas..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Roy McGhillie invited Julia Rodriguez and Teddy Parker to lunch at the Cop Bar. They were stunned when he told them of his conversation with Captain Perlman.

"I'm going to talk to Becca about it," Roy said, "but I wanted to get you guys's advice on it."

"Unfortunately, Captain Perlman is right." Julia said. "MCD is full. And I don't know when another slot in there might open... or even if a slot will open."

"Yeah." Roy said, almost forlornly. "And I'll say out loud what everyone else avoids saying... I was way behind the power curve when it came to being a Detective in MCD."

"Naw, don't say that." said Parker, though knowing Roy was right. "You were fine. And none of us are in the Iron Crowbar's class."

"That's why, if I were in your position, I'd go back to the Precinct." Julia said. "You're good at leading others, they respect you for your courage after the 'Night of the Cobra', and you've got a lot you can teach them. And also, even though we MCD Detectives are called in to major crimes, it's you guys first on the scene that can make or break a case... and you have that knowledge and experience. You'd be like a field Detective out there."

Teddy Parker said "I absolutely agree about your leadership. Nothing against the Uniformed guys we have, but they could stand to see leadership like yours. And you can get the best ones on the path to leadership themselves..."

Part 3 - Entrapment

10:30pm, Friday, January 3rd. I was sitting on the back deck of The Cabin, with a nice fire going in the fire pot. Sitting in the chair (really a metal mesh loveseat) to my left was Teresa Croyle. Her husband Todd was supervising six boys in Lego City operations in the attic room upstairs, and Laura, Paulina and Molly were supervising two rowdy girls in the greatroom. Bowser was being rowdy with the two girls, and Buddy was in Teresa's lap getting skritchins.

As we sipped our drinks, single malt Scotch for me and a Godmother (Amaretto and Vodka) for Teresa, we talked shop.

Teresa said "Roy is going to talk it over with his family over the weekend, but I am willing to bet green dollar bills that he takes the 1st Precinct job. I told Captain Abram and Lieutenant DeLong that he, DeLong, is reporting to 2nd Precinct Monday morning, and Rudistan will rile up the coffee klatch starting Monday morning. I'll be he'll be moved into the Vice Lieutenant office by noon tomorrow."

I chuckled. "Sounds good." I said. "Not that it was a problem, but we might be finally getting things settled in right."

"I do have one question." Teresa said. "Will this hurt our case with the US DOJ Civil Rights Division? They were bitching about the white guy in 2nd Precinct, and we moved him out and put the black guy in. Won't that look like kowtowing to what they were saying?"

"Possibly." I said. "But that so-called audit was rigged from the get-go, and I don't really care about the optics. I also have to admit that I owe Tanya an apology... and you, for that matter. I have not given Vice the attention it might've needed, and I have not given that attention for years. You and Mary Milton and Tanya have done a great job------"

"Hold on right there." Teresa said. "I recall a 400-million-dollar drug bust with your name all over it. And not all of the credit for that goes to Carole. That was you, Mister Iron Crowbar, and the drug pushers shake in their panties at the mere mention of your name. Why do you think T-Square got clean and legit?"

I said "I think he's wanted to do that for a while. Like you, he found religion, literally. And he saw the war between the Big Ice and Jasmine Nix factions, and decided he wanted no part of that, either." Teresa nodded.

I then said "I'll admit this only to you, and deny I ever said it if you tell Bettina Wurtzburg..." That got me a backhand slap on the arm, but I continued anyway: "But the D.A.'s Office might've gotten one over on us by finding this increased gang activity. And that has prompted some of these changes we're seeing now."

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my Police iPhone. Teresa's iPhone rang a second later, and I heard furious barking from inside the house; the redoubtable Bowser was most displeased at what he was hearing.

"Troy." I said, answering.

"Commander," said 1st Precinct Captain Hugh Hewitt, "we've got a situation in the Luigi's parking lot..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa and I pulled up in my Police SUV. Three Police cruisers were in the Luigi's parking lot, lightbars blazing. Near the front entrance was a bit of a crowd, a number of them with iPhones, recording the situation.