Unexpected Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I really don't have any work experience except at my dad's company. I mentioned I finally got my college studies going, but I've still got two semesters left on a B.A in Art. I wanted to do a Masters program for teaching, either Junior High or High School. All of that is so far out of reach now. Maybe I can be a dishwasher somewhere."

Ah, this explains her enthusiasm for the art galleries. "No. I'm not going to allow that kind of talk. You are going to have to learn to fight for what you want Babe. Bad talk just brings you down and paralyzes you. I didn't know you are an artist — that explains why I almost had to drag you out of Sedona. Do you have any pictures of your art on your phone"

"Yeah, I've got quite a few actually. Why, you want to see them now?"

"Sure, I want to see what really interests you the most in life."

I open my photo file and we scroll though some of my school projects and some I did just for fun. Angelie takes my phone and seems really interested in my artwork. "My folks tried to warn me that art is a waste of time. My dad said it's a waste of time and money. I thought maybe if I taught art it would be something more real. But I had lots of time, or so I thought. None of that does me, does us, much good now. I don't know, maybe I can be sales person — are there any big stores or malls here?"

"I've got a better idea. Let's finish breakfast and get dressed. I want to show you something."

"What? You have an idea for a job?

"You'll see when we get there. Cheer up, and you should put enough make-up on to not looks so cute and try to cover up that you just got finished making love."

"You're really not going to tell me what you have in mind?"

"There, see how smart you are — my cute little college Babe."

She always seems one step ahead of me and she rescues me again and again — "I can't imagine where or what I'd be doing right now if you hadn't come into my life." I feel the tears well up without overflowing. Angelie puts my phone down and sits back next to me. Like a magnet she draws me into her arms. The warmth of her skin on mine, her strong arms around me and the soft kiss on the side of my face —"I'm sorry for being such a wuss. I'll get better, just need to get life sorted I think."

"Shhh, I'm here — we're here together. Trust me, it'll work out."

"Thank you, I can never thank you enough. I love being with you — holding you."

"I know that Babe. Pretty soon we won't even have to say it but maybe five or ten times a day. I think you already know I love holding you too."

Our shower this morning is more business than pleasure. But there is a utilitarian beauty in soaping and washing the body of one's lover. And that is what we do, eyes one moment locked in a silent conversation — the next moment, roving over nature's own artwork, perfect in hue, texture, contrast and detail — perfect in every way.

Angelie is always sparse in her use of make-up, just enough. I take my turn at the bathroom sink and mirror and try to follow her style as she watches. I like what I'm seeing — more earthy and honest. "Well, what does it need?"

"I don't think you need to add anything. I like it. We're going to be meeting a shop owner I know. She's cool, sort of an old school hippie and super nice. So think impressing an old hippie chick and pick out the clothes that you'll feel comfortable in."

"Why are you being so elusive? Where are you taking me?"

"Oh, maybe I don't want to build you up only to be let down if she doesn't have an opening in her store."

"Oh. Okay. I guess it doesn't sound too promising?"

"I didn't say that, you did. What did I say about bad talking to yourself?" I can see by her face the bad-talk is trying to steal away her hope again. She has to stop this — maybe Ellen can help.

Ange closes the gap between us and gathers me into her arms. Every time she holds me her strength is so obvious and comforting once I am here. She hums a song I've never heard as she rocks with me in a still dance. The song has a Spanish flair, her hand stroking my hair pulls me back to what is important — I force my breaths to sync with hers and quickly feel the soothing peace flow back into me. "You're right. I worry too much."

"Don't. There are lots of jobs here. If this doesn't work, something will. Come on, you're beautiful enough and I'm anxious to go see her — her name is Ellen Hunter, by the way. She's totally laid back. I haven't dated her, but rumors have it she swings both ways. I know she was part of a commune back in the old days when the hippies discovered the desert country."

"Let's go talk to her then. If you think it's worth checking out, I trust you."

***

It's another beautiful sunny day and just getting out of the house feels good. As Angelie navigates through the streets it's clear that we're entering the older part of Flagstaff. A lot of the old buildings have been saved and restored. I notice several gift shop and jewelry stores and my hopes rise. I wonder of I might find a job in one of them. Angelie's comment brings my attention back to her.

"That's the Monte Vista there, see it?"

"Yeah. That's so cool."

"It has a very colorful history. Gambling den, Speakeasy bar during Prohibition in the 1920's. In the 1930's it was the first gambling joint in Flagstaff that had slot machines. Lot's of ghosts in those walls. And now, it's one of the best hangouts for queer folks in town. I'll show you around after we talk to Ellen."

Angie parks her car in what she calls her secret spot and we walk the short distance to the Monte Vista. My imagination goes wild painting all manner of gamblers, ramblers, cowboys and women of the night as we walk.

"Okay, this is it. Let's go get you introduced."

When we enter, the little bell on the door rings and a striking woman in a loose peasant style skirt of floral colors, a white pull-over top and Birkenstock sandals walks through the curtains from the back of the store. She looks just like what Angelie had described and I instinctively feel drawn to her.

"Angelie, what brings you downtown at this time of the day?"

Hi Ellen, this is my friend Lauryn Lacomb. She's down here from Vancouver and I guess I'd say she's run into a bit of a problem."

Ellen looks at me with a compassion that makes me want to run over and hug her for some reason.

"What kind of problem are you two having Lauryn?"

"It's kind of a long story Ellen. Let me try to summarize it. I met Lauryn on the trail at Shultz Creek. She and her finance' were down from Vancouver, Washington because her guy had a job interview. Long story short, he didn't get the job and I guess in his frustration he took it out on Lauryn. I just happened to be there, and when it started getting violent I asked if she'd like to go with me. So, he got mad and flew back to Vancouver, and Lauryn has decided she likes it here and wants to stay. So, that brings us here to you."

"To me, you want me to hunt him down and cut his nuts off — or is it something worse than that?"

I smile at Ellen's smile and look over at Lauryn who is also smiling. "Actually, as good as that sounds Ellen, I want you to look at some pictures of Lauryn's paintings and tell us if they have any potential on the market."

I know my face is screaming what! But my actual voice is numb for for a moment while I try to think of what to say. "Angelie, we talked about maybe a sales clerk job." She ignored that and turned back to Ellen.

"Ellen, she lacks a couple of semesters on her Fine Arts degree. I looked at some photos of her work and thought of you. I don't know enough about the market to advise her, but I know you do."

I turn to Lauryn and smile at the look on her face. "Come on Babe, show us some of your work. You'll never know if you don't ask."

I feel trapped and nervous, but also a little hopeful. If she doesn't like my painting style, maybe she'll still like me for a sales job. I bring my phone out and the three of us come together like metal chips to a magnet. Ellen puts her arm around my shoulders in a comforting hug. I smile up at her and open my files.

"Don't worry Lauryn, I'll give you my honest opinion. Let's see what you do."

I go through one after another of my many attempts. There's both landscapes, florals, old buildings in Vancouver and both clothed and nude figure works. I feel so self-conscious to be in a professional gallery showing my learning exercises. If nothing else, Ellen can see I'm passionate about painting. We go through them slowly and mostly silent, every so often Ellen asks me questions and seems satisfied with my answers.

"Okay. I've seen enough. I don't suppose you have any of your work here?"

"No ma'am, they're all at my parents house back home."

"None of that ma'am stuff, call me Ellen. Lauryn, you have unique talent. That's inside of you, no school is going to teach you that. But your education definitely gives you the proper tools to express that talent. I'll be happy to show your work. I'd like to see some in front of me before we talk details. But I see no risk at all in putting some of your work in my galleries."

"Galleries? You have more than one?"

"Oh yes. I have this one, of course. I also have one in Sedona and one in Taos. I also feed art to the gift shop up at the Grand Canyon. If what I see in these teeny tiny photos is a good example, I feel confident you have a future. We may have to discuss the subjects and themes of your works if they're to match the market in this region. You think you can do that?"

"Ever since Angelie drove me down to Sedona I've been dying to get my brushes and paint and try to capture the vastness and energy of what I see here. Ellen, I can't thank you enough just for the chance. I'll call my folks and have them ship some samples down as soon as I can. Are there any in particular that you want to see?"

"A half dozen should be enough. Let me see them again and we can pick some."

I stand back and watch as they go through the images again. This time they discuss more details and I hear some words I don't really understand. They make a beautiful picture themselves, a kindly grandmother and her happy granddaughter — I wish I could paint that.

I can't help but pull this sweet child into a hug. Her arms go around my waist as she holds me tight. I know there is more story here than Angelie told — it doesn't matter. I'll do my best to make this happen for her. "These should show me some of your detail Lauryn. And just pick out some of your favorites too. I can pay the air-freight if you need."

"Thank you so much, I really never imagined this." I turn to Angelie to find her big smile beaming at me — "You sneak! You made me think Ellen might give me a job selling art, not painting it."

"Guilty as charged. You won't be mad at me too long though, and to see your smile right now is worth you being mad at me for awhile. What'd I tell you, no more bad talk — and see, I'm right."

I smile a small smile as these precious girls banter. I thought there was something more there than just Angelie helping another lost angel. "Angelie, do I owe you a finders fee for this new talent you've brought me?"

"No Ellen, I'll owe you — and I mean it. You need something I can make happen, you call and I'll be here. I don't know much about art, but I know she loves it. Just don't take her to Sedona if you don't have a lot of time to spare."

"Well, I'll be anxiously waiting to see those paintings Lauryn. So you two go make that happen and I'll go back to selling art. Come here and hug me, both of you."

We share our three-way hug, a faint scent of patchouli confirms that Ellen is still the young hippie girl at heart and in her soul. Angelie's scent I know by heart — the combination just smells like love to me in this new best moment of my life.

*****

PART SEVEN — North Country Blues Again

Wondering if Ray will take my call, I let it ring hoping his voice mail won't kick in. "Hey Ray, how's it going? I was just thinking of you and thought I'd call."

"Well Carter, to be honest I've been sitting here pretty bummed at what your sister did to me. She's pretty much wrecked everything we had planned — or I should say that dyke she ran off with has ruined it."

"That's one of the reasons I called Ray. I'd like to get more info on what happened down there. If I understood more of what went down, maybe I can talk to Lauryn and get her back up here. She's talking to the folks about staying down there for good."

"Sure, come on over Carter. It's not like I've got anything going on."

"I'll be over in thirty minutes or so."

"Okay, see you when you get here."

***

The short drive to Ray's apartment reminds me of his circumstances — the houses over here are definitely a step down from what Lauryn and I are used to. He's changed since high-school. He's changed since he went down to Arizona. I just don't want to give up on either him or Lauryn.

This four-plex gets rattier every time I come over. If this is the best he can do, maybe he's not the guy for Lauryn. But I owe him a chance and knock on his door. "Hey Buddy, thought I'd better come see how you're doing."

"Hey Carter, come on in — sorry for the mess, I wasn't expecting company."

This place looks like a trashed out dope-den in a scene from some cop movie. "Thanks Ray. I just think it's important for me to better understand why Lauryn is doing what she is. The folks seem to be more or less letting her go do what she wants. I just want to make sure there's not something dangerous going on."

"Come on in and sit down. I'll guarantee you there's something dangerous going on. She's taken up with one of the craziest women I've ever had the misery to see. Carter, this gal isn't even a white girl — and she looks like a freaking dope fiend. Her hair is cut too short and it's black with some dyed blonde in it. The way she came up on us, I'd swear Lauryn and her had planned it. We was walking along a trail by a river — a trail Lauryn said she wanted to go to, so I took her. Then she picked a spot to sit on the bank so she could watch the river flow by — so I just rolled my eyes and said whatever. We weren't there more than a few minutes when this crazy bitch comes along and get's in our business. I thought she was either a nut case or on drugs, so I got between her and Lauryn. Lauryn said something and I turned to see what she wanted, when I wasn't looking the crazy bitch kicked me in the head. I'll admit, she got me good and I was stunned for a few moments. When I got up, they were both running back up the trail to the parking lot."

"Damn, that sounds a lot different that what Lauryn told the folks. You sure you're not stretching things a bit Ray?"

"Carter, the only way for me to show you I'm telling the truth is for you to go down there and see for yourself."

"Actually, I've been thinking that would be the best thing I could do. I just wanted to get the facts straight so I can talk it through with the folks. Would you be willing to go back down if my folks buy into the idea? I think at least you have the lay of the land better than me."

"Sure. I'd love to go down and see if we can save her Carter — but don't get your hopes built up too high. I think that woman's got her claws in your sister and we may never get her back. If I go, you or your folks will have to pay my way — I'm busted after going down there for nothing the first time."

"Okay, thanks for filling in some of the details Ray. I'm gonna talk to them and try to convince them that someone needs to go down there and check on her. I think you and me are the ones to do that."

"I agree with you there Carter. Good luck, and keep me posted."

"Will do. Catch you later."

***

I check to see who's calling and smile when I see it's Carter, "Hi, how are things up north?"

"Hi yourself. I just wanted to see how things are going for you? Have you thought anymore about coming home? I know the folks are kinda worried about you."

"Oh? I just talked to Mom a few days ago and she seemed fine. I'm trying to talk them into coming down here for a vacation. But about coming back to Vancouver, heavens no. I've talked to an art dealer and she likes my work. I've already talked to Mom and she's going to send some of my paintings down so Ellen, the art dealer, can see them in person — so far she's only seen small photos of them. No way am I moving back to Vancouver, you should come down here and you'll see why."

"Maybe I will. You make it sound like paradise. So how are getting by now? Are you in a motel or what?"

"You need to talk more with the folks Carter, I'm sharing a house with Angelie — she's the one that saved me from Ray. You are out of the loop big brother. I'll probably use a spare bedroom for a studio if it all works out with the art dealer."

"I see. What does this, is it Angelie, what does she do for a living?"

"She's one of the lead bartenders at a posh restored hotel downtown. I think Angelie has quite a reputation from what I've seen — she's a native of Flagstaff and knows everyone and all the best places to hike and stuff. The great news is, Ellen's gallery is in the same historic building — plus she owns other galleries too. Ellen is a real throwback to the hippie days of communes and free love — you'd love her."

"She sounds nice. But from what Ray says, this Angelie sounds dangerous — Ray says he'd bet everything he owns that she's a lesbian — a dyke in his words. I guess we're worried about you Sis."

"Oh Carter, when are you going to see Ray for what he is? He's a pathological liar. If he bet everything he owns, I think we're talking about ten bucks."

"Well, you may be right — Ray can stretch the truth sometimes. But I'd still like to fly down and see you. I think the folks would feel better if they knew more about what's happening down there."

"Come on down, and bring the folks if they can make it. Just let me know when you're coming."

"Okay, I'll talk to them and let you know."

"Thanks for calling Carter, but don't worry, I'm fine."

"I'll be in touch, bye."

Something isn't right here. Ray tells one story and Lauryn tells another. I trust Lauryn way more than Ray — but what if this time he's actually telling the truth? It's gotta be worth the price of a ticket to go see for myself. And that's what I'm gonna tell the folks.

*****

PART EIGHT — South To The Rescue

"So this is the motel you and Lauryn stayed in, not too shabby Ray. I still can't understand why that company reneged on you. But at least they paid the expenses."

"Bunch of nut-cakes if you ask me. And I had to spend a good chunk of my own money on the little things. There was four of 'em grilling me, and only one guy in the bunch. I've given it more thought than I should, and the only thing that makes any sense is the three women probably wanted a female applicant and I got roasted to make that happen."

"Hmm, you've had a lot of woman problems lately Ray. Tough luck, I guess." This isn't the old Ray I knew. I hope it wasn't a mistake bringing him down here.

The room is as nice as the rest of what I've seen of Flagstaff and I lay down to stretch out on the bed. "I'm glad I don't have to fly all over the place for a living, I'm wiped out. How about you?"

"I'm probably not as tired as you, flying doesn't bother me that much. When you going to call Lauryn and let her know we made it. I can't believe she chose that dyke over me — I hope Lauryn is even worth saving at this point."

"That's my sister your talking about Ray. Let's get the facts straight before we jump to any conclusions. Don't make me regret bringing you — my mother was against it, it's only because my dad thought it made sense since you know more what's going on. So let's just focus on getting her to come home, okay?"

"Whatever Carter. I'm just calling it the way it is. But sure, I'd like to help Lauryn, even just for old times sake — she doesn't deserve to die down here for being stupid."

1...345678