All Comments on 'Using Special Formatting in Stories'

by Lucky

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
OldBrummieOldBrummieabout 2 years ago

Thank You.

I normally use HTML in a plain text file (using xed in Linux) but the use of <p> in the centering of text was new to me and explains a problem I had with line spacing. The emoji input was new to me. Probably never use it but I now know it is there if needed.

I will be saving this to my hard disk as an essential guide.

Cheers

Cheers and 5*

LuckyLuckyabout 2 years agoAuthor

Apparently BLOCKQUOTE works, or the publishers worked their magic since it appears in the published version, even though it did not in show in the preview. I'll submit a revised version, but in the mean time until that is published, the code to use it is: BLOCKQUOTE place between < > angle brackets just like you would use B for bold or CENTER to center your text. Note that blockqoute here puts all the affected text in a new paragraph. For some reason, it is also italicized here, even though that's not really the standard for it.

haltwhogoestherehaltwhogoesthereabout 2 years ago

There are some other tricks you can use as well. Sometimes they are worth the effort, sometimes not. Block indents, shortened horizontal lines for breaks and so on. I can get you the source if you'd like it. You can see samples in https://www.literotica.com/s/impact-of-collision-ch-09

LuckyLuckyabout 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks. I added Block Quote and Line Breaks (<BR>) in my revision. I did not address horizontal lines for a page breaks , but that code would be <HR>. There is no "off" code for either BR or HR. To shorten the HR line from going all the way across the page, by default, you would specify the width, as in <hr style="width:50%">. There are other options, but I'm trying to keep it short an simple.

A little Google search will show plenty of pages of HTML syntax. Such a search will show there are many other tricks that can be done with HTML, but I'm not sure how much you can use on Literotica, especially without causing a delay in publishing so the editors can deal with your tricks, or have to remove them. These simple style tricks shouldn't cause issues. Block quote is probably pushing it as far as simple formatting goes.

And remember, many of these don't show in the Preview screen so you won't know how they turn out until things are published. That may be a tip that you're pushing things a bit...

Lovecraft_LoreLovecraft_Loreabout 2 years ago

They will sometimes let you use HTML links to other areas in lit now and then, mostly links to story contests.

LuckyLuckyabout 2 years agoAuthor

Well, apparently, HTML works in the comments, possibly with the aid of the editors, since that comment took a LONG time to get posted. Because the code was executed, to make a Line Break and a couple Horizontal Rules (lines), you don't get to see the code. Let's try another work around. In the examples below, substitute angle brackets for straight brackets, as in < for [ and > for ].

Line break code: [br] (again, that's inside < > not [ ]).

Horizontal Rules (lines): [hr] for default, full width. Partial width is a little more complicated. Half the page would be this code: [hr style="width:50%"] (You need the quotes, and don't forget to change [ ] to < >).

If you want that shorter line centered, put the Center code in its own < > brackets before the horizontal line code, and turn it off after.

Phoenix_LusterPhoenix_Lusterabout 2 years ago

Wish I'd found this a while ago :D I wanted to centre align some of my text a few of my stories to denote different pov's or when characters are reading something. Might have been the British spelling though <.<

LuckyLuckyabout 2 years agoAuthor

For Phoenix_Luster and other who wish they had been able to use some of these in previous works:

You can always edit your story and resubmit to with changes. I've done that ore than once, although it isn't an instant process by any means. (I edited this very article the same day it was published, when I saw that somethings were different than in the Preview screen. That was on o4/09/22 and as of today, 04/15/22, it is still pending.)

The process to resubmit is very easy, and is covered in the FAQ entry on "editing-published-work" under the main section on "Publishing" -- right here:

https://www.literotica.com/faq/publishing/editing-published-work

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Aha, this is very interesting! The submission guidelines should really be updated so they don't incorrectly state that stories with formatting need to be submitted as Word or RTF documents. (I guess their assumption is that writers don't understand HTML formatting, and will be confused that simply copying formatted rich text into the submission form doesn't work.)

LuckyLuckyabout 2 years agoAuthor

Unfortunately, the revised version of this submission, with the full Blockquote info, was still "pending" as of this morning (04/26/22). It had been re-submitted on 04/09/22. I have tried re-submitting it again in hopes that it will make it through the queue this time. Sorry to all those who read the article in the interim. I tried to fix it...

LuckyLuckyabout 2 years agoAuthor

Yea! The updated version, with BLOCKQUOTE instruction, was published!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very helpful. Thank you.

Another useful tag that works is span, i.e. <span style="color: red;">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet</span>

would set the text to red

Norway_1705Norway_1705almost 2 years ago

And if i copy-and-paste ❤️ 🔥 ♂️ 🍆 👄 🍑 ♀️ 🔥 ❤️ ? Can you read it?

LuckyLuckyalmost 2 years agoAuthor

We sure can, Norway_1705. If you want to test some of the simple codes, and see what emojis look will like, the best place is the submission page for a new story. I keep a "Draft" document I named TEST just for this purpose, as a sort of programmer's sandbox.

This Comment area does not "interpret" HTML code, as you can see in the Anon entry before Norway's, Emojis, however, are treated more like text characters, sort of as if they were part of a special, universal, font. They aren't HTML codes, like <b>bold</b> (which should look like code, and not bold text, her in the Comments section).

To test your text in the submissions, page, paste it in the "Story Text" box within the submission page. Fill in other required sections any way you please, then click "Preview & Publish" to see what it will look like. More advanced codes, like "block quote" and "span" won't get rendered, but emojis will show as soon as you paste them in, even before previewing" the text. That's basically because they are seen pretty much like as characters.

One more thing about emojis, different systems display different versions of the same character. What I seen in Windows, may not look like what you see on your iPhone, or I see on my Android. Emojipedia ( emojipedia dot org ) tries to show representations of each emoji for the various systems, in case you're wondering.

Thanks for adding to the conversation!

grey228grey228over 1 year ago

When I was doing light layout for early webpages, it was easy to preview inline HTML on your copy by saving the file as a local .HTM/.HTML file and using a text editor to edit the "webpage".

I have a feeling Literotica puts user content into a table cell, or has something like a Textpad macro that puts paragraph breaks on each paragraph/ section of sentences so a story can be readable.

When I put HTML content into preview mode, I'd have to do all the paragraphs as HTML with paragraph breaks. A tedious process, but worth it if a site admin only has to copy/paste one's content into their site template.

IMO, that alone may speed up your submission process, because you're doing the work for them.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userLucky@Lucky
We're working on more of our story together. We've stared a new series called Lucky Tales, and more of those are planned. We also have another story arc in the works regarding our first short vacation, of sorts, if we can find some time to finish it. Your positive ratings...