All Comments on 'Valerie in New York Ch. 04'

by gunhilltrain

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

"So here you are in New York, the opportunities are here."

You seem to not know when to use a period and when to use a comma. This is all stuff regurgitated from Wikipedia, with some made-up dialogue thrown in. She had shrimp and rice or french fries and beer? Who cares about this minor human failure or what she ate, anyway?

gunhilltraingunhilltrainabout 5 years agoAuthor
Human failures are interesting in their own way too

I suspect we can't help ourselves in wondering about them . On the positive side maybe they offer cautionary tales for the rest of us. Consider the attention given to Charlie Manson (Helter Skelter is a great book), to the killers in Cold Blood, to Lee Harvey Oswald in Don DeLillo's novel. There recently was a good documentary about the bumbling but violent Symbionese Liberation Army and Patty Hearst's time with them.

The french fries idea came from a 1960s interview in The Village Voice. She arrived at the restaurant that time hungry and under-dressed for the weather and she ordered extra food beyond what the writer bought for her.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainabout 5 years agoAuthor

I am also reminded: Lou Reed, who was close to Warhol during his Velvet Underground days, was dismayed when the movie came out. He said, "It's like making a movie about Mark David Chapman."

Then ten years later Chapter 27 came out with Jared Leto playing Chapman.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usergunhilltrain@gunhilltrain
Time and place matter I suppose. At present I'm between the Metro-North (formerly New York Central) Harlem Division and the NYC Transit Authority's #2 train line. Thus I'm on both the wrong side and the right side of the tracks at the same time. Anyway, for me the Midnight Sp...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES