All Comments on 'Vampires Don't Wait Tables'

by joy_of_cooking

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
oneagainstoneagainst2 months ago

Excellent story - loved the slow build up and the discovery of her true nature. You handled the characters very well.

Christian_AlanChristian_Alan2 months ago

As far as plots and characters go, I'd say you nailed it. Captivating from start to finish.

SensitiveHandsSensitiveHands2 months ago

This story was so much more than i expected. I was thinking it was going to be another vampire story of love, lust, and turning. It was a story of love and lust, but also of love and lost. Of caring and understanding. Thank you.

Winter_FareWinter_Fare2 months ago

Beautifully told, you make this look easy x

echochamberechoechochamberecho2 months ago

Thats a fantastic vampire story and Hong is a great protagonist.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Very good story, I really felt for Hong. Well done

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Wow this story sucked, no detailed sex scenes no romance, hes clumsy coward, and gets somone else? Yawn, so fcking boring man, the end is so anticlimatic

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

There was no vampiric interaction at all, why have her be a vampire in the first place, she could have just made it aal up and the story doesnt change one fcking bit, man what a waste of my hour i dont get back, jesus

countdowntolov3countdowntolov3about 2 months ago

Really wonderful.

The amount of imaginative world building you packed in without distracting at all from the story is really great. Hong drinking tea to feel warm (to others), the gruesome nature of vamp-on-vamp violence, coins as souvenirs, orgasms being dangerous. All interesting and fun. And in each case you unfold them like little mysteries. Often authors are so eager to share their unique ideas with the reader that they forget it's fun to tease them. But when Hong says "do you want me to take a bath?" and we realize alongside the MC: of course, tea isn't her only option, bath makes so much sense; that's just such a fun time.

I got a giggle out of the subverted miscommunication under the bridge, where Hong thinks the MC is ditching her and it's immediately resolved by a phone call. Her technology blind spot is a nice juxtaposition against her complaint's about the MC's failures to plan and fleshes her out as a character with her own flaws.

I really enjoy how you write your male MC's, by the way. They read as vulnerable and submissive, but not necessarily pathetic. I really enjoy it. It makes me want to root for them and cuddle them at the same time. I suspect it's a difficult line to walk, writing them like that.

The sex, though not your focus here, was well drawn. I felt the MC's excitement. Which is good praise from me. I'm usually a bit of an eye roller at the virgin thing. But it worked great for the dynamic here, and you managed to write both bumbling and sexy without turning him into a stud half way through his first time.

Okay, I'm starting to ramble. So I'll wrap it up. Just wanted to say, I think this was great, and I recognize it's a bit of a departure for you and I hope you try more like it!

Becaa57Becaa57about 2 months ago

This was a very good story, I loved how patient she was with him, letting him grow up with guidance. My first vampire story in here. Keep up the good work

ThatNewGuyThatNewGuyabout 2 months ago

What a great story! I started reading it a few days ago. As soon as I finished the first scene, I stopped and clicked "Follow".

/

I'll give you a stream-of-consciousness rundown of some of the things I liked. First, Jemmy's voice. The way he says, "Like I said, Hong is cool" and the way he claims he's not jealous as watches Hong seduce the drunk customer, even though he clearly is. Such a sweet character who is authentic and likeable.

/

The hiding -in-plain-sight approach that Hong uses when answering questions about her activities. It's delightfully clever and a lot of fun for the reader.

/

Love the way Hong teaches Jemmy about courtship. He doesn't realize it, but she's preparing him for success with his future relationships. She knows from the outset that their relationship can't last, but she wants him to be ready for the woman with whom he will be able to have a future. It's bittersweet and makes me wonder how many other times Hong might have done something similar in her relationships through the centuries.

/

The details of cooking prep: the soreness in his shoulder from moving the wok more than he has to, the pain in his hand from the pressure of the knife. Every bit of the restaurant-related detail was great. It was enough to make me feel like I'd been dropped in the middle of the kitchen during a busy workday without being so much that it took me out of the story.

/

Jemmy's anger at the way Hong corrects him. He's embarrassed and lashes out because she makes him feel silly and inexperienced, even if that isn't her intention.

/

Also, the horror of what Hong has to do and its effect on Jemmy was well drawn. When he finally comes face to face with how different her life is from his, it's overwhelming. That scene felt very believable.

/

I'm a sucker for a good vampire tale, and this was a very, very good vampire tale. Easy five stars. Thanks for a fun read!

JacktacularJacktacularabout 2 months ago

And …. Fallow ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

PoissehommePoissehomme16 days ago

Really enjoyed. Great character development. Sex for the first time felt genuine. I would have had a hard time letting Hong go. I might have asked her to change me and happily lived her un-life with her. Thanks for a nice story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous