Vermillion: Learning

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nick leered down at Sirus who wasn't attempting to tease nor joke about it, but said this out of curiosity. "I never met him, so I can't say."

"You can, Nicholas. You can." Sirus slid down the wall slowly "Neimos looked over you and I'm sure you asked about him. The anger, the rage is all over your face. The disgrace, he was a black king they say. One who lived for blood and power, your mother was a rare find to him to have so that he could have a progeny."

Nick remained silent, so Sirus went on "When she failed her duty to reproduce a male heir, I wonder what he did. Did he just yell at her? Maybe struck her, torture her with silence, or maybe he-

"She was weak after giving birth to Elizabeth." Nick exhaled "The doctor felt it best for her to wait before trying again. He didn't brutalize her, he just...gave her less, less food, less conversation, less time to spend holding Elizabeth...he wanted her to agree to another child."

"And eventually..." Sirus said.

"Eventually she agreed, years later. To her, according to my sister, she was doing her duty as a vampire of her clan, giving life to a new bloodline, a stronger one. When she was pregnant with me, Eliza would sing to me in the womb, because I wouldn't settle. And then my father died, I was born, my mother died. Eliza raised me with the help of those who would call themselves servants but were much needed friends."

"I grew up to be the exact opposite of that man I read in horror stories who spread so much death across this continent, who held no issue with burning villages down, feeding off people until they grew cold, hurting anyone who stood in his way. So, yes. He was a devil just as your father was. They wore different masks but knew all the same rituals."

"That they did." Sirus looked at Nick, his teal eyes locked with his ivory gaze "We have more in common than one would think."

"So, we can understand one another. It may not make us the same, but we've both lived through horrors. And we've both made mistakes. But I want to know after this would you oppose to finally giving it all a rest?"

"No more innocent bloodshed for the sake of my own selfish goals..."

"You do not have to destroy to find your place in this world, demon or not, lesser or greater."

"Why? Look at what I did to Luna-

"Yes, and there will be a time for you to pay that forward, but you are still young as is she. And you have only lived to feel the lust and greed of this world, what you wish for now is to find out what happiness is like, what peace is like, what love is like. If not then why say what you did to Iris just now?"

Sirus rubbed his eyes "I have enemies. Some I made on my own, others come for me in competition for my power. When this is over, I intend to go back to Hirea, no longer as the pretend lord, but the real lord. I will repair what I destroyed."

"And then?"

"I want to get rid of it...the darkness that surrounds Iris. But first I have to defeat the darkness surrounding me. Which is why I want to ask you a favor for this shared moment."

Nick sat down on the floor "Ask and we will see."

"I need you to take in and pardon Iris."

"And yourself?"

"I like my freedom, and no offense to you, but I won't be a tamed incubus in Verdure. But when I can I'll visit until the blood on my hand is completely washed off."

"May I ask why she would need a pardon?" Nick raised his eyebrow.

"She's killed men who have been more than just unfair if you understand my meaning. And it has happened for several years in many cities, towns, on the continents. I won't be able to access her world to speak with her aunt, because she won't allow me to try and help her sisters...It's selfish in a way, but she wants to protect me."

"And now you'll protect her from her aunt."

"She is a hidden foe, she may try to go to Verdure, but the magic there is too pure. It would push her out."

Nick smiled "A selfless act, it seems sense has finally struck you upon the head."

"It has, I can't say that I want it this way, but I understand that this must be even if it hurts me. This is about surviving as well as saving the day. So, do we have an agreement?"

Nick's eyes flashed red "Better, we have a deal."

After two days at the inn everyone regrouped after breakfast. Everyone was seated with Iris leaning against Sirus teasingly.

"So?" Luna stared at her uncle wanting to know why she woke up at three in the morning to listen to nothing, but silence.

"It's time we discuss Caldric, the true Caldric. Sirus." Everyone's eyes shifted towards Sirus.

"Let me see...this had to be at least a century back maybe more. I had my run ins with him by now. He tried to kill me every chance he got. But this time was different. You see I had found myself in a little town across seas, the people were poor and had a bit of a barghest problem."

"So, a big angry demonic looking dog?" Alex asked.

"Yes, it had been attacking people in the woods, they had a missing board a mile long. I assumed them all to be dead, but I overheard some chatter from the locals that a hunter had come to town and how he was not your average man, he had specialized weapons that seemed like magic. He rarely missed his target and went from continent to continent cleaning up peculiar problems."

"They said that he was deep into the woods searching for any survivors. So, I decided to try and kill him. I tracked him to the location where the beast was roaming. It was surrounding a girl that it had stole off the main road. She was conscious and shaking with fear, but Caldric calmed her down. I just watched to wait for my chance."

"He did a few fanciful movements with his spectral sword, many kicks and flips before he was able to slay the thing. And right as I was to make my move, he threw his sword into my shoulder as he did a few days ago. It pinned me to a tree and bound my movements. He laughed at my cockiness and told me to wait. He had plenty time to slay me, but first he would save the damsel."

"The girl I would say was maybe seventeen or sixteen. She was so grateful and happy to be rescued. She offered him her money in return, even the fine silks she had in her bag, the one the beast nearly ripped apart. But I guess she was naïve...or maybe I was. Caldric told her he wanted something sweeter than money or silk, something only she could give. So, he pulled off her clothing to her horror and surprise."

"When he pulled her toward him, she pulled away and yelled for help, screamed. He told her that this would be his reward and that he was owed this pleasure. So, he tore what was left of her gown and defiled her there where he had slayed the barghest. It didn't matter how much she cried or how she fought to get away, he overpowered her. And when he was finished, he told her to join him on his venture, become his. When the girl declined, he took out a short blade and slit her throat. Then she bled out. When he was done with her, he came to me and pointed the bloody knife at me."

"He said it was funny how I could do the same to a woman and she would come to me easily, but for him he had to take his prizes and appear a villain. He believes in justice for mankind, but he slayed one of his own for what he thought was owed to him, because us monsters have such control over things like that...Before he could kill me, Iris pulled me through a portal and saved me."

"I had no idea that happened..." Iris eyes were wide in such disgust and shock "Sirus, that's inhumane-

"No, it's very humane. We have bad and good in every race, and in turn those who are good turn bad, because they feel that they aren't given enough, that the bad guys always win. I never made someone cry or cry out to stop or who tried run from me. But that is the bias of people like him."

Nick placed his hand over his mouth. "What do you think, my king?" Dom asked.

Nick looked at Neimos "Did you know?"

"I suspected. He has ways around my sight. But I know he was responsible for a certain massacre, years back at the border of Casor and Vermillion." Neimos looked at Alex "You touched him, what did you feel?"

"Hate...fury...a door."

"A door?" Luna turned his way "What was behind it?"

"Something twisted, I couldn't make it out, but I think that's what caused my powers to go out for a minute...then he stabbed me."

"How long?" Lynx asked Sirus.

"I don't know, but as much as I hate him, what he did wasn't his first time doing it. He wasn't nervous or scared, he was so relaxed about it. I've known that when it came to paranormals he might have done the same for his sick needs, ways of torture. But his corruption needs to end."

"Are you up to full strength?" Neimos asked "Because they are grouped in the woods below us, they located us with the help of a witch. If we can get them in one fell swoop, we could end this swiftly."

"How long do we have before they come?" Dom questioned.

"A day."

Sirus groaned "Eighteen hours."

"That's cutting it pretty close." Areya had her hands on her hips "Are you sure?"

"I know my body, Areya. These weren't normal wounds, so they won't heal normally. I promise I'll be at full strength until then."

"Then let us take care of the rest." Nick told him.

"What will you do?"

"First I would like Haxir to have a barrier."

"I can handle that." Areya volunteered "I can expand it down the mountain as well."

"Good, I can round them up all on my own, but their weapons won't be easy to take."

"That's why we're helping." Iris smiled "A little magic, spirit power, demon power, we'll take them."

"Lets just hope. No one go off on their own, when it's time come as fast as you can." Nick said "Do this and I'll pardon you-

"Nick-

"For the crimes you were accused of, not the murders."

Sirus nodded "Then let the countdown begin..."

The next day was the beginning of a small battle, one that would free Lynx and even Sirus from their largest burdens and Vermillion wouldn't have to worry anymore of the anti-magic hunters coming for those guilty and innocent alike.

Sirus was already sitting at a table sipping tea when everyone else came out to prepare.

"Lounging still?" Lynx nearly shoved Sirus out of his chair as she pushed passed him to walk towards the door.

"I'm recouping, just give me some time-

"How much time? They're about to jump u-

"I need an hour." Sirus said this seriously before placing his cup down onto the table "It's not a simple gambit. I also need them gathered together."

"So, we play bait and surround ourselves?" Iris blinked "Do you know how much trouble that is?"

"I'm only being honest. I can't get hit with those weapons or I'll lose my power and we'll all be killed."

Lynx went around the room checking out the windows before walking over to Sirus "And if it fails?"

"It won't, the weapons are the only problems and it's easy to get rid of them if we use our powers wisely."

"First, he's our enemy, now he's buddha..." Luna sighed sitting down "What do you guys think?" She was referring to Dom and Nick who both looked unsure about it.

"I still don't like him." Dom replied, causing Lynx to laugh a little.

"You wound me, Dominic, truly." Sirus grinned "But lets be serious, since it's all our lives on the line plus your kingdom. Aren't you next in line? It's petty to hold this grudge with the lives of people you care about on the line."

Dom sneered "I-

"Succession doesn't matter at this moment, Areya will stay up here to place a shield around Haxir." Nick said then turned to Alex "You will provide cover for myself, Neimos, Luna, Lynx, and Iris when we reach the bottom of the mountain, then provide back up if one of us is pushed into a corner."

Alex nodded excitedly "Iris uses her powers to catch them all off guard, she'll be able to shake their weapons off."

"I'll do more than that." Iris smiled "I can paint a target on my back easily, because I blend into the background in my natural state. Then it's a free for all."

"I'm sorry, what will he be doing?" Sirus pointed at Dom who remained quiet.

"Dom's a good fighter too, or that's what I heard, it's also in history books in Ver-

"We know Alex." Areya patted his shoulder "You'll provide him with one when he reaches the ground."

Iris and Lynx were both confused, only Nick and Luna seemed to know Dominic's role in all of this.

Luna crossed her arms and smiled at Sirus, something he took as a forewarning. "Dom's going to monitor you and bring any last-minute reinforcements if needed."

Sirus shrugged "Shouldn't you or Nick be glaring me into oblivion? Not Nick's shadow?"

Dom sat down at the table dully "My count and Luna are nicer than me. Though I'm more forgiving out of the two of them."

Luna and Nick exchanged a look and smiled at one another "And then we have things to discuss with once we get back to Verdure."

Lynx blinked "You want Sirus in Verdure?"

"And what things?" Alex asked.

"Let's remain on task. We all know our roles now."

"It's kill or be killed, it's pretty basic." Lynx shrugged and glanced at Dom "What kind of weapon can you hold?"

"Pick one. I've mastered the sword, the bow, javelin, crossbow, spear, gun, long stick...I was bored, and I wanted to know in case my immortality failed me, and my king was attacked."

"You've killed someone?"

"Once...in self-defense with a long stick."

"You killed someone with a stick?"

"They were trying to kill me for what little I had at the time." Dom looked at Nick "I don't know as much as others."

Nick smirked "You didn't need to know all that to protect yourself, me, or the people."

"I know, but then I wonder why you did, my king." Dom then gave a thin slick smile of his own.

"Aww, bro moment." Luna coughed.

"You have no timing-

"Bite me, ninja." Luna hissed at Dom who stuck his tongue out.

"Alright children, are we good on the plan? Great." Neimos himself had been worrying about the future rather than the present. Something else was coming and held a familiar aura and presence. He turned to Sirus. "You have more secrets than one. And this one isn't coming back to haunt you, it's heading towards Verdure as we speak."

Everyone then turned to Neimos to explain "It may not be my place, but it's worrisome. Would you like to explain?"

Sirus' teacup began to crack "No."

"Is it your past?" Luna guessed "Or-

"It's nothing that involves you, Luna, or Nick, or anyone here, but me, okay?" Sirus for the first time actually sounded angry by Luna's question. Though he meant to sound calm, his hostility at the thought forming in his mind took over.

"No more surprises would be nice." Nick told him.

"I understand that, and as much as I would like to discuss it...now isn't the time. It would just mess things up more."

"Is it another secret? An ex? An enemy? Because we just want to go home and rest..." Alex sighed "Or maybe that's just me..."

"I agree." Lynx said "Who is it?"

Sirus's eyes were fading to a transparent gray hue with him lost in thought over it "Um...It...I-

Iris placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him down, the light warmth guided him back from the void his mind was falling into and the gray passed. He touched her hand and then held it "I'm sorry."

"You can't break everything; you don't break everything Si." Iris smiled, despite her feeling worried and happy about Sirus, she also felt that dark pit inside where her anger formed.

Sirus frowned "I really mean it, Iris."

"Oh..." Lynx's eyes lit up "That's coming...gross."

"What's that?" Alex asked perkily.

"I'll tell you later-

"Over pillow talk, no doubt. I just don't think it would lead us to victory with that person in mind, especially Iris. So can we drop it until we come to Verdure?"

Lynx looked at Iris who nodded. Lynx sighed rolling her eyes "Only because they're the worst being alive."

"How would you rate them on a scale of evil? Like starting with Sirus?" Alex asked, Dom smiled at the question.

"Please Sirus would be like baby evil, murdering people out of rage and to get someone through manipulation is bad...but at least he didn't murder good people here." Iris smiled.

"The village of Rain?" Neimos eyed Sirus.

"Neimos, those people were sacrificing their own for clear skies. They had a girl and boy, about fifteen years old and have them fight in a duel in the main house. Whoever won would be considered blessed to live another ten years. The one who died would be skewered, their body, or what was left of it would be burned. The ashes sprinkled in the wind." Lynx explained.

"Casor's queen allows this?" Luna looked at Nick who frowned "Yes, but I have no reign in Casor, the people there are raised as assassins. Who did you kill there?"

"The leaders, then we manipulated the people into believing we were relatives, then we left. Besides then we've killed no one, not in this kingdom, this country, this continent." Lynx stretched "But Iris is right, baby evil."

"I'm not evil—

"Then misguided, stop whining." Lynx glared.

"What about who's coming?" Areya asked.

"The level gap is astounding. Sirus killed people based on emotion, they kill people based on whim, sometimes on impulse alone. Example, they were speaking to a friend and someone in the vicinity sneezed. Next thing you know the person who sneezed is cut in half for interrupting." Iris shook her head "It isn't temperament, it's pure whim."

"And you want to keep it a secret with them hurling towards us, because?" Luna waited.

"Luna...I get that you're upset about everything, but we're not in a relationship where you bare your secrets to me and vice versa, are we?"

Luna stared in disbelief, despite it being true, she didn't want more trouble heading to her new home, a place she actually felt happy and safe in.

"It's touchy for me as you and Casira's relationship is touching for you, can you at least understand that?"

Luna stared at Sirus who looked back as her, her gaze eventually softened "Fine...So, are we ready?"

Nick nodded "Shall we?"

"Yes, Dominic, remember we have potions in the back." Areya said as everyone began rushing out of the door.

Then it was just Dom and Si, both who looked uncomfortable being in one another's company. Sirus sighed turned to a bored looking Dom thinking of what to say, the only thing that came to mind was:

"So...would you like a cup of tea?"

Events of the battle happened quickly. Down the mountain there were men behind trees who had set up traps before hand, Neimos cleared them waiting for the first wave to attack. At first it was light, a few dozen men with anti-magic weapons bombarded the Verdurians who took to this fight naturally. Nick used his powers to sear a line around Haxir in case any of the hunters tried to break through the barrier. There was flashes, bright lights, bombs of sorts and smoke. The next wave of men were bigger, more skilled, and their weapons weren't as light.

Luna herself got knicked when knocking one back. It was a small draining feeling, but Luna kept going. She hadn't completely understood how her powers worked, so at first she was using pure strength and agility to avoid and delay attackers. Alex was listing off spells in his head and launching them while Neimos was taking out lots of the men.

Lynx was tearing through men like a wrecking ball, blood guts, and teeth went flying in seconds as the ground shook underneath their enemies and began attacking them. Vines curled up and wrapped around their feet and throwing them clear across the sky to their certain demise.

Nick used his telekenesis to provide shields around Luna and the others from major damage, though when he was finding himself surrounded the layers of the shields weakened. He forced all his mental strength on turning the men into ash, rather than go the more bloodier route like he'd done in the past for the sake of his kingdom.