When a God Loves a Princess

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As much as I wanted to give a press release and correct all of the false reports out there, I was asked by Queen Anne's press agent to not comment. It would go away on its own, she said.

I had to explain to my ex-fiancé there was no way we were getting back together. I had this nagging part of my character that required fidelity and her belief that she could have an occasional lover that was not me was a deal-breaker. She continued to try to milk any part of my fifteen minutes of fame she could get, but eventually no one cared about her anymore and she moved on.

I never heard from Anne or any security people, so I assumed they really had neutralized the bad guys and I was truly safe. That didn't stop me from looking over my shoulder every now and then and jumping at strange sounds. I also started seeing a therapist. I was having nightmares and struggling with the fact I killed two men and survived while the trained security men died. The therapist told me it was a common reaction and put me on a mild anti-depressant.

I think the worst part of it was I missed Jen and Walter. I watched her first press conference, which was a week before Christmas. She answered the questions like a pro, but was thrown when one of the rags asked her, "What was it like living with that gorgeous hero? Were there any sparks?"

Her eyes glazed over, and she stuttered for a moment before quickly recovering. "Andrew was a perfect gentleman the entire time. I'm sorry to disappoint you but no, there were no sparks."

"Surely, a man like he who saved you from death twice, had to have interest in you. Are you sure there wasn't something there?"

Jen flushed and smirked. "Sorry, there was no interest. He may have been interested in me, but he never said anything or showed me that he wanted anything more than for us to be safe. Thank you, all," she said and ended the presser.

Seconds later, my cell rang. I didn't recognize the number and didn't answer. When the message notification popped up, I listened.

"Mr. Carlton, this is Jonathan Baxter, Princess Jennifer's press secretary. If you'll be so kind as to...um...support the princess's statement that there was no romantic interest between you, she would be grateful. I'm sure you'll continue to be the good gentleman you are and continue to act appropriately about your time with the princess in the cabin. Thank you, sir. Good day."

I laughed and knew there was no way I'd do anything to draw more attention to myself or embarrass the princess.

***

I always loved Christmas when I was a kid and that didn't change when I grew into adulthood. I loved to decorate, and I was always quite proud of my Christmas tree efforts. The best thing about Christmas though, was the cookies.

When I had a girlfriend, we'd always make my grandmother's oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, and sugar cookies. The sugar cookies, we'd cut into tree and snowman shapes. It had been a long time since I didn't have a girlfriend or fiancé at Christmas time, and it saddened me.

I still decorated and bought a tree. When I decorated the tree, I made all three types of cookies. As I was cutting the shapes of the sugar cookies, I thought about Prince Walter and if he liked sugar cookies or chocolate chip. I was sure that a little kid wouldn't like oatmeal raisin, but one never knew.

Mariah Carey was blasting from my speakers, the smell of fresh cookies in my apartment was amazing, and I was three egg nogs into my decorating, when the doorbell rang. I wondered who it could be as the press hadn't bothered me in a few weeks.

I pressed the intercom button and asked, "Can I help you?"

"You could open the bloody door, it's dreadfully cold out here."

The unmistakable accent and the sound of a fussy child made me open the door and rush down to greet the princess at once. I couldn't believe she was there. I was so shocked I didn't hit the buzzer to let her in the door.

I swung it open and saw her smiling face with three security people standing around her. I pulled her into a hug and asked, "What are you doing here? I never thought I'd see you again."

"I'll tell you, but can I do it in the warmth of your apartment. Chicago winters are terrible."

"Of course. I'm sorry, please forgive me. Come on in."

I poured her a glass of eggnog and a cup of milk for Walter. He loved the sugar cookies, by the way.

"I see you love Christmas as much as I do, Andrew."

"I love this time of year, as you can tell. I'm currently decorating my tree; would you like to help."

"I'd love to," she answered with a wide smile.

She picked up a box of ornaments and let Walter hold one of the cloth ones that didn't have a hook yet.

"So, Jen. You didn't come all this way to decorate my home did you?"

"I came to visit Cammy and—well, she made me visit you."

"I owe Cammy a kiss for that. I've missed you very much," I said.

"If I'm honest, I've missed you too, Andrew. I can't get you out of my head and I don't know what to do about that."

She sighed and took a bite of an oatmeal cookie. "My God, these are fantastic."

"Grandma June's recipe," I said smiling.

She continued, "I don't know what would happen if the press got wind of my attraction to you. I..."

"Screw the press," I said and pulled her into a hug. "What do you want?"

"I don't know. Being here in your arms feels so good, but I've got such a public life and duties. Being the mother of the future king isn't all roses and smiles."

"I'm sure, but I already told you I could handle that. You know how I feel about you. Can't we try? I mean, you're here, Jen. That has to mean something, doesn't' it?"

"I fell in love with you while you slept in the hospital." She whispered. "It's only grown stronger over the last month and a half. I just don't know how to handle it."

"Handle it by giving me a chance," I said as I kissed her lips tenderly.

"Oh, Andrew, I'm so confused."

I led her to the couch, and we sat snuggled together. Walter crawled over and she pulled him onto her lap.

"Andrew?"

"Hm?"

"You'd have to move to England," she said softly.

I laughed, "I'm sure there are insurance companies in London, Princess."

"You'd really be willing to move? We hardly know each other."

"Jen, we lived together for almost a month. We spent every night together talking and getting to know each other. I fell for you as much as you fell for me."

She sighed.

"Look, Jen. How about if I take a leave of absence from work? I have some money saved, so I can spend a couple of months over there and we can see what happens. If it works out, I'll stay. If it doesn't, I'll come home."

"I have an apartment in London where you can stay for free. I'm not using it at the moment," she smiled.

"Then it's settled," I said and kissed the top of her head.

"Oh, Andrew, I hope you know what you're getting yourself into."

Jen returned home for Christmas, and I told her I'd see her a few days after the New Year in London, as I had to settle things at work. My parents were shocked that I was going to move to London and begin a relationship with the princess but understood and supported me.

As it turns out, I didn't need to take a leave of absence. We had a branch of the company in London, and I could work remotely from that office. Since I could start there immediately upon arrival, I decided to surprise Jen for Christmas.

I left her a voicemail telling her I had a surprise for her, and I looked forward to hearing her voice. The next day I was on a flight to London.

***

After a grueling flight that landed at 7:15 pm London time, I walked through the airport and tried to stretch out my back as I made my way to the baggage pickup. I passed a newsstand and saw a couple of tabloids had Jen's picture on them and a small inset picture of me. I didn't care to read what garbage they were spewing, so I walked on. I was not prepared for what waited for me when I made it into the baggage area.

There was a throng of reporters and cameras behind a roped off area. People were shouting my name and shouting questions, then someone grabbed me and pulled me through the crowd out a door and pushed me into a waiting SUV.

"What the hell is going on?" I shouted. I sat up and looked at my assailant and it was Anne. "Jesus, Anne. What happened?"

"It's quite a madhouse, Andrew. I guess your surprise visit was ruined by someone on the plane that recognized you. The entire country knows you're here."

"Shit! I wanted to surprise her."

Anne laughed. "And what were you going to do? Knock on the door at Buckingham?"

I laughed, "No. I was going to call her."

"Well, the cat's out of the bag, now."

"Ya think?" I frowned. "Where are we going?"

"Princess Jennifer asked us to take you to her apartment."

I nodded and watched the scenery out the window.

***

When we pulled up to the apartment there was another group of reporters in front of the entrance. I shook my head and wondered if I was actually ready for the attention dating Jen would bring me.

Anne told me to stay put and got out along with the two other guards in the SUV. They walked into the lobby of the upscale apartment building and came out a few minutes later with some stanchions to keep the press away from the entrance. I was surprised at how cooperative the press was in backing away from the doorway, but it didn't stop them from shouting questions and taking my picture.

I was surprised, although I probably shouldn't have been, that several of them asked me if I had been intimate with Jen. What a gross question. I hustled in and was glad to be out of camera range.

Anne opened the door to the apartment and said, "The princess isn't staying here, so you don't have to worry about too much intrusion into your life. Unlike at the cabin, you're free to move about and go wherever you like, but remember, a camera is always around. Your face is recognizable, and the papers found out about your nickname, Thor."

She smirked when she said that. "Wonderful," I said.

"Well, Andrew, I hate to say it, but you brought this on yourself entering this world," Anne continued. "If your feelings are that strong for the princess, it'll be a minor inconvenience for you."

She turned and walked out of the apartment laughing.

I looked around and saw that it was a luxurious apartment, appointed with expensive furnishings and knick-knacks. There were three bedrooms, one of which was locked, and I assumed was Jen's, while another was a nursery, and the last was a nice guest bedroom. Since no one told me any different, I chose that room as mine. That's when I realized, I didn't have my bags.

I sighed and walked into the kitchen. Everything was well stocked, and I saw a nice wine rack on the counter. I opened a bottle of Bordeaux, a bag of pretzels, and my tablet to find a way to contact the airline about my luggage.

I was filling out an online form when the doorbell buzzed.

"Hello, sir. I have your bags," said the young man as he walked in past me. He set the bags down and proceeded to walk out of the apartment without speaking to me except to say, "Good day, sir," and he was gone.

I shook my head and went to unpack. I texted Jen but never got a response. I wasn't sure what to make of that. Was she mad that I came early? Was she too busy? Was she even in the country? I realized it may not have been one of my better ideas to try to surprise a member of the royal family.

***

I woke the next day which was Christmas Eve. I could smell coffee, but I thought I was imagining things. I showered and dressed, grabbed my phone for the tenth time and still didn't see a text or call from Jen and wondered if I wasted my time. Of course, she would be busy on the holidays. I probably should have googled it and got her public schedule.

I heard him before anything else. The young prince was laughing at something, and it was coming from the kitchen.

"Hello, Andrew," Jen said as she fed Walter.

"I didn't think I'd get to see you. You didn't respond to my texts," I said.

"I wanted to surprise you; did it work?" she asked with a smirk.

Before I could respond, her cell rang, "Oh, crap!" she frowned. "Please feed the rest of this to Walter. I have to take this, it's Queen Anne's secretary."

She rushed out of the room and Walter smiled at me from his highchair. I spoon fed him the green mush and asked, "Wouldn't you rather have some of my cookies?" He answered by opening his mouth wanting more of the green goop.

I smelled it once when we were at the cabin. It didn't smell nasty, it mostly smelled like peas. I knew there was other stuff pureed into it, but the color looked like something out of a horror movie.

I finished feeding Walter and wiped his face. Jen walked in and said, "Well, Andrew. I hope you brought a tuxedo."

I said, "I have some suits but no tux, why?"

"The Queen has personally requested that you come to the Christmas Eve celebration this evening as my guest."

"Um, okay," I said dumbly.

She giggled and took my hand, "You're not the only one who enjoys Christmas. There is a large party at the Queen's personal estate. She wants to meet you and thank you personally for saving me and Walter."

"Okay. I guess I need to find a tux and quickly."

"Yes, but more importantly, did you bring any of those amazing cookies along?"

I laughed and pulled a large Tupperware container of cookies out of my carryon bag.

***

Being close to a member of the royal family has its privileges, I found, as I was whisked into a closed tailor's shop and fitted for a suit that was suitable for a black-tie dinner with the Queen. I never felt out of place being fitted for suits before, but this tailor and his assistant were so upper crust, it made me feel like I was on a different planet.

The jacket wasn't custom made, but they found one that was very close to my size, only needing some alterations due to my larger chest. The pants were also adjusted, but I was assured they would have the suit by the time we had to leave for the airport and quick flight to Norfolk.

I was surprised to learn that arriving at the estate was by assigned time. We were one of the last groups to arrive, which helped tremendously. I dressed in one of the nicer suits that I brought along, and Jen laughed.

"Andrew, please change into something comfortable. Slacks and a sweater are fine. It's a family party, you're not expected to be formal all the time. In fact, bring something suitable to wear playing football. You'll be asked to play in the game with the family."

I received a kiss for my efforts and changed clothes. I was glad I was able to change because I hated wearing a suit while traveling.

Along the way, Jen held my hand and Walter slept. She filled me in on what to expect and how to act. It didn't seem as bad as I thought it would be.

I was surprised to learn that they didn't exchange lavish gifts. What they gave each other were closer to gag gifts. I suppose that was appropriate. What do you buy for someone that already has everything they want?

After we arrived and settled into our separate rooms, Jen walked into my room and asked, "Are you ready?"

I let out a deep breath and said, "I suppose so."

She smiled and took my hands in hers, "Andrew, just be yourself. She'll love you, just as I do."

We made our way to Queen Anne's office, and after being formally announced, we walked in, and I was shocked when Queen Anne hugged me.

She was only in her sixties and in person looked more tired than I thought she should. She looked up into my eyes and said, "There is nothing that I can do to thank you properly for saving Walter and Jennifer. You risked your life for strangers more than once, and you have my most heartfelt appreciation."

"It was nothing, ma'am," I said.

She laughed and slapped my arm, "Quit being modest, thunder god." She laughed harder and we sat down at a small table set for tea and had finger sandwiches and cookies.

"Andrew, if there is ever anything you need, please ask. I would give you a reward, but..." she looked at Jen and my intertwined hands, "you seem to have earned a far greater reward than I could ever give you."

Her smirk wasn't hidden well, and Jen squeezed my hand tightly. I was about to tell her that she could write me a check, but I thought a joke at that time would be inappropriate even though she had quite a sense of humor.

After a cup of tea, we were excused and I was approached by Steven and George, Queen Anne's surviving sons, on our way back to my room.

"Well, here's the hero," George shouted gregariously. "What do they call you, Captain America or something?"

Steven pushed him away and said, "Be nice, George. Forgive my brother's horrible attempt at humor. I'm Steven, and this is George. Thank you for what you did for Walter and Jennifer. It takes a special kind of man to put his life in harm's way to protect a damsel in distress."

"It was my honor to do so," I said as we shook hands.

After a bit of small talk, Steven said, "Andrew, we would like it very much if you would join us for our football game with the staff. It's a sort of tradition we have."

"I'd be honored, but I don't know how to play," I said.

George laughed and said, "You know how to run, don't you, god of thunder?"

I frowned, "Yes, of course."

"Good. Then you'll figure the rest out as we go along. See you out back in fifteen minutes, right? Good."

They left and Jen said, "They seem to like you."

"Maybe, you could get them to stop using those silly nicknames."

She laughed and said, "No way. That's how I can tell they like you. They don't joke around with people outside of their inner circle. They seem to feel like they can be themselves around you and I'm not going to get in the way of that."

I was amazed by the lavish decorations along the way back to our rooms. They really did love Christmas as evidenced by the over-the-top little touches in the decorations. It was as if the house was decorated professionally, and someone came through and added little personal touches. I wondered if the queen had done that, herself.

***

I threw on some sweatpants and sweatshirt and made my way out back. I was surprised that there was a large crowd of players and onlookers. Many came up and introduced themselves to me and I felt severely out of place. Everyone reeked of class, while I was a simple commoner. All thanked me for saving Walter and Jennifer.

I was surprised when Jen shrieked, "Daddy!"

I cherubic man walked over and if there was a stereotype of an old-school British financier, he was it. All he was missing was the mutton-chop sideburns.

"Hello, baby girl," he said as they shared a hug. "Your mom is inside resting."

"I'm so glad you came. I was told you wouldn't make it," Jen said.

"Well, when your mom heard about young Andrew's appearance here in country, she felt she needed to meet him as quickly as possible."

"Mom's got MS and some days are better than others," Jen explained.

"Well, Andrew, I'm glad we finally get to meet. I'm Allen Wicke, Jennifer's father."

"Glad to meet you, sir."

"Call me Allen, please. You've gone above and beyond in saving my daughter and grandson, and I won't have the formality. No matter how the two of you end up, you'll always have a place in our family."

I noticed he was the only one to place Jen first when referring to her and Walter. I liked that about him for some reason. Later, I'd meet Jen's mother and she was as lovely a person as you could imagine. She gave me a lengthy tear-filled hug when she thanked me for saving her daughter and grandson.

"Thor, come on, you're on our team," George said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "I hope you're faster than you look."

To avoid boring you with the play by play of a soccer game, we won, and I didn't get near the ball at all. I basically ran around and watched the ball fly back and forth among the better players on both teams. There were times when they might have been kicking me the ball, but it sailed by me harmlessly.