When a God Loves a Princess

Story Info
Andrew has a brush with royalty on his way to the museum.
20k words
4.7
45.4k
183
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bh76
Bh76
2,780 Followers

Author's note: This is my entry for the Literotica 2021 Winter Holidays Story Contest. Please be so kind as to give a vote at the end. This story is not set in reality, so please don't mind that my story's royal family is not the current royal family across the pond. I don't think I've ever spent as much time doing research as I did on this one trying to have some minimal level of accuracy. I enjoyed it though, and I'll make sure to do more of that for future stories.

Enjoy -- BH

***

I was walking to the Museum of Contemporary Art and was stopped near the entrance to the Four Seasons Hotel by security and stanchions cutting off the sidewalk. I wasn't happy as it was a cold November Day, and the Chicago wind was fierce off the lake.

"What's going on? Is the President here?" I asked one of the bell hops standing in front of the roped off sidewalk.

"No, sir. Princess Jennifer and her son are leaving."

I nodded. Princess Jennifer was widowed less than a year before in a terrorist attack in London. Her husband, Prince Frederick, was killed in a car bombing. The press said some organization declared war on the Royal Family for some reason. It all sounded too James Bond for me. I didn't pay attention other than to check out what the princess looked like in the photos for the articles.

It was almost noon on a Tuesday, in downtown Chicago, so the sidewalk was pretty empty after everyone made it to work. There was only a dozen of us that were held up by the blocked off sidewalk. Most walked into the street and around, but I wanted to get a close look at the Princess. She was a beautiful woman who carried herself with grace and class. It didn't hurt that she had the best legs I'd ever seen.

The moment I saw the sparkle of her brown eyes as she came through the door, I heard two loud pops. Everyone around me either hit the ground or froze and the Princess screamed. The security guards who walked in front of her fell to the ground and the look of panic that crossed her face as she shielded her baby made me do something I never thought I'd do.

As everyone else ran away, or hit the ground, I jumped over the rope and ran to her. I felt a pain in my shoulder but didn't stop. I felt I had to help her.

I wrapped her in my arms, pushed her back, and felt two more sharp pains in my back as we fell through the door of the hotel. We hit the ground in the lobby and rolled over with me covering her and the prince when we came to a stop.

In an instant I was pulled off of her and guns were pointed at me. As I faded to black, I said, "It was nice to meet you, Princess."

***

I woke in a semi-lit room. It took me a few moments to be able to focus, but I realized a nurse was looking at the tubes in my arm.

"Hello..." was all that I could say. My throat was raw and hurt.

"Shh. Just rest, Mr. Carlton. You've had quite a day."

I looked around and suddenly remembered what happened.

"Is the Princess okay?" I asked sounding hoarse and scratchy.

The nurse smiled and nodded to the side of the surprisingly large room where I lay.

"She refused to leave your side."

I looked and saw she was asleep on the couch next to another woman and a bassinet that must've held her baby. I wondered what she was doing there. Certainly, she could've come to visit me without spending the night by my side.

"Get some sleep. The doctor will be in first thing in the morning. You're her only patient."

As she left I saw four police officers standing outside my door. I thought it was odd that I was the doctor's only patient as I fell asleep.

***

When I woke in the morning, I looked over and saw the other woman feeding the baby. The Princess was so beautiful as she slept. A streak of sunlight highlighted her chestnut hair and she looked as peaceful as I wished she were.

The other lady quietly said, "You're quite the hero, aren't you?"

I looked at her again and saw the smirk along with her mischievous eyes. She too was a beautiful woman but wasn't in the princess's league as far as I was concerned. I was about to give her a witty comeback when the door cracked open.

"Good, you're awake."

The doctor walked in and closed the door behind her.

"How's our resident hero today?"

"In pain," I moaned.

"Yeah," she said, "three gunshots to the back and shoulder will do that to a guy."

"Wow!" I whispered.

"Based on the video that's been on the news, the shooter was aiming for the baby. If he were going for the princess, the shots would've been more center mass and probably would've killed you."

I looked over and saw the princess awake and crying. She was beyond beautiful, even in that state.

"Will he be okay, doctor?" She asked in her sweet, Yorkshire lilt. She sounded like the current Doctor Who, Jodie Whitaker. It wasn't quite the upper crust accent one would expect from a princess or even from an heiress as she was, it was cute though.

"I think he's out of the woods, but he'll need to heal up from the surgery. All in all, I'd say he got pretty lucky," said the tired-looking doctor. "We were able to remove the bullets without much issue and no organs or bones were damaged."

The doctor looked back to me with a serious look and continued, "Mr. Carlton, you're a very lucky man. You're going to be okay, but you'll never play professional quarterback with that shoulder damage."

A gasp came from the ladies.

"Thanks, doc. I always wanted to try professional figure skating. Do you think I have the legs for it?"

She laughed and said, "We'll talk again. Get some rest."

She said goodbye to the princess and her friend and left the room.

The Princess cried and said, "I'm so sorry about your career, Mr. Carlton. I'll make it up to you. I'll..."

"Wait!" I said, cutting her off. "What are you talking about?"

"The doctor said you'll never play football again," Princess Jenny cried.

I laughed and hurriedly tried to stop because of the pain.

"It was a joke. I'm not a pro football player. I'm a manager at an insurance company."

Her friend giggled. "Well, you're certainly built like a football player." She had that mischievous look in her eye again. I pulled my blanket up higher.

I heard a commotion in the hall along with shouting. It quieted and then the door opened.

"Thor, are you okay?" My brother Tom shouted as he walked in. My parents were behind him looking worried.

I winced at him using my stupid nickname, as well. I wished he and my friends would forget that damn Thor business, but the more I complained—the worse it got.

"I'm good, bro," I said as they hustled to my side.

My mom rushed up to hug me, but froze when she saw the various bandages, sling, and tubes.

"Andrew, baby, what were you thinking? You could've been killed," mom cried.

"So could she and her child, mom. I couldn't let that happen."

"Well, she's..."

"Holy shit!" My father shrieked. "She's sitting right over there."

Mom and Tom turned and saw the Princess bouncing her son on her knee.

"Hello," she said as little Walter sucked on his pacifier.

My mom was starstruck and frozen in place.

I smiled and said, "Sorry, I'd introduce you, but I haven't met anyone yet, myself."

Princess Jenny laughed and stood. She handed the baby to her friend and walked over, "Please forgive my manners. I'm Jennifer."

My mom made us all laugh by trying to curtsy. It was a valiant effort.

"I'm Anne and this is my husband Andrew," mom said as she shook her hand so fast I thought it might have come off.

"I'm Tom," my brother said in his infamous 'hey, baby' babe magnet tone. It only ever worked one time on a woman, and that's because she laughed so hard at him, he didn't know what to say next. She thought he was joking and using bad pickup lines on purpose. They were married less than a year later.

"Easy, tiger, or I'll call Sarah and tell her you're drooling over the princess," I said, which made Princess Jenny blush. Sarah was Tom's wife of three years.

"Do I get to meet Her Royal Highness now?" I asked.

"That's my brother, Thor," Tom said with a smirk.

Mom slapped his arm and I said, "Andrew. Andrew Carlton Jr. at your service, mum." My poor attempt at a British accent earned a giggle from Her Royal Highness. I wondered if that was how I should refer to her? I thought 'her majesty' would be a bit much.

The princess frowned and said, "I need no service from you, Andrew. You've done more than I can ever repay already. Now, what's this Thor business?"

Her friend giggled as Princess Jenny smirked. My mom rolled her eyes.

Tom answered, "Look at him. He looks like Thor."

That's when I got really uncomfortable. She looked at me deeply while she tried to make the connection. My brother gave me that nickname when we were kids. I had long blonde hair and was a workout buff in high school. When I played football, having long hair was acceptable. As an insurance actuary, it wasn't, so it got cut after college.

The nickname was long forgotten until that movie came out and Thor had his hair cut short. I was still working out and was muscular, so with Thor having short hair, and a close-cropped beard as I had, my brother dusted off the old nickname.

"Well," the Princess said, "I can certainly see the resemblance." She was blushing and I was about to apologize when the door burst open.

A man in a suit looked around and said, "Princess, there's been a bomb threat. We have to get you to a more secure location right away."

My mom gasped, and in an instant, the other woman I hadn't met picked up the child, grabbed the bags and rushed to the door. There was a large group of security waiting and before I knew it, the Princess was gone.

"Mom, Dad, you'd better get out of here too," I said. "Tom, get them somewhere safe."

Just then an alarm went off and my door burst open again.

A large man, dressed in scrubs, said, "Mr. Carlton, I'm taking you to an ambulance waiting in the garage."

"Where are you taking him?" Mom shouted as dad and Tom pulled her towards the door.

"I don't know, ma'am," he said. "I'm just getting him to the ambulance."

Tom shouted, "Wait!" He looked around and then ran to the cabinet and found my bag of clothes. I noticed my cell phone and wallet were in there as well. I was glad he had the wherewithal to think of that.

"Let us know where you end up, bro," he shouted as I was whisked away.

There was a woman in a pants suit on the elevator with us. I saw her earpiece and the gun she was holding.

"Are you security for the hospital?" I asked.

"No, sir. I'm personal security for the Princess. They asked me to travel with you until you reach your destination."

"Where am I going?" I asked.

"Don't know yet, sir."

"Great!" I thought. I figured I was at their mercy and tried not to stress about it, but that was a laugh. I was being whisked into an ambulance because someone was threating to bomb the hospital. I wondered what I got myself into.

When the elevator doors opened, I saw the ambulance and was ushered in immediately. I heard screaming at a distance and several gunshots. I turned my head towards the hospital entrance but was for all intents and purposes thrown into the ambulance.

The ambulance squealed away and threw us around as we didn't have a chance to get fastened in. Hell, they barely got the doors closed before we took off.

I watched the security lady rush to the back windows, and she said, "Looks like the police got someone. Don't know what happened but there's a bunch of them standing over a body."

"Jesus Christ," I sighed. "I hope the princess is okay."

She turned and sat down.

"The Princess, her son, and her cousin are safe. They got away before anything happened."

"Good. That was her cousin with her? I never got to meet her," I asked.

"Yes. Cammy is getting married to a yank on Saturday. That's why we're all here. The Queen felt it would be better to get out of country for a while with all of the problems at home."

I nodded. "I guess the problems followed you guys."

"We didn't expect them to follow us. The threats have been against Queen Anne mostly, not the princess or her child. It's clear though, they were going after the child when you saved him."

"How can you be sure? That's the second time I've heard that," I asked.

"You haven't seen the video?" She asked.

I shook my head.

"They used laser sights on the guns. The prince had them targeted on his head when your shoulder blocked him and took the first shot after our security men went down. It was almost instantaneous. There's no question you saved Prince Walter's life. As a result, you're quite the celebrity back home now. Your life is about to change, I'm afraid; everyone loves that little baby."

"Wow!" I whispered again. I never noticed that they were aiming for the kid, but I was even more glad that I saved him. I thought I was helping the princess—I never imagined they were after the kid.

I asked, "Did the guards survive?"

She frowned, "One did, one didn't."

"I'm sorry."

"It's part of the job."

I nodded and looked away. I suddenly understood the reality of the expression "doing what you have to do," and it was hard to live with that harsh reality. Even with the threats, I'm sure he never expected to die that day.

***

After a while, I was settled into a new room. Based how long we drove and being able to see the skyline of Chicago as we drove away, I assumed they took me to Milwaukee.

That was confirmed by my new nurse when they got me hooked up to their monitors.

For the first time all day, I was alone. I turned on the TV and was amazed at all of the coverage. It turned out, a man in a suicide vest was shot by the police outside the hospital.

Interspersed with coverage of that, they showed the video of my shooting at the hotel. I didn't realize there were royal watchers on the sidewalk recording everything with their cell phones.

It was surreal to see the guards shot, then me running and being shot myself. I could definitely see the dots on the kid's ear and then on my back. They were definitely shooting into me where they thought the baby was. I guess they hoped the bullets would go through me and into the kid.

I cringed when I saw my photo and name on the screen. They obviously pulled my photo off of Facebook although I had no idea how they got my name, the hospital must've leaked it.

I wanted to scream when I saw them interviewing people from my office on the news. My boss looked especially like the ass that he was, when he proclaimed me the office Boy Scout. I didn't think the world cared that I threw away some moldy bagels and liked to make sure there was fresh coffee made when I started the day.

Then I saw them interview my ex-fiancé. I wanted to throw the remote at the TV. I made a vow to delete my Facebook account as soon as I got my hands back on my phone.

She told the world how brave I was, and she couldn't wait to see me and thank me for being a hero in person. That made me laugh, and I wondered what her new, rich lawyer boyfriend thought of that.

The door opened and I saw uniformed police outside my room. I wondered why that was necessary as the princess was surely in a secure location.

A nurse walked in and said, "Hello, Mr. Carlton. I'm Kim and I'll be your day shift nurse. I guess you're pretty important the way everyone is on eggshells around here."

She giggled and opened the curtains. It was a smaller room than before but was still private.

"Kim, could you hand me my phone please."

She handed it to me and looked at the TV. She let out a sharp, "Ha! I knew it! I told them you were the hero. Wait until my husband hears about this."

"No one hears about this," came from the doorway. "Nurse, his presence here must remain confidential," my security lady scolded.

"Yes, ma'am," the chastened Kim answered as she left the room.

My security lady spoke into her communicator and asked whoever was on the other end to put a lid on the staff.

"Mr. Carlton, I'll be here until you've had your shoulder checked and are cleared to leave. We have some local police guarding the door and the entrances. It seems you've pissed off the terrorists by getting in their way, and they are looking for you now, as well."

"Great!" I said.

She gave me a wan smile and a pat on the arm.

"Sir, we've got a secure location waiting to hide you out until this blows over. The Queen is paying all costs, so you don't have to worry about a thing. According to Her Majesty, you're to be afforded all of the same protection we'd supply her family. Another team is on their way to increase security for you."

I nodded and saw that I had dozens of texts and voicemail. I called my brother and told him I was fine and in a secure location. My parents were upset with the secrecy but understood. After a bunch of other calls including my boss, I tossed the phone on the table. I felt very alone.

***

The next day, I was cleared to leave. The IVs were removed, and I was given discharge papers with care instructions and told to take it easy.

I laughed and said, "Easy for you to say."

I had finally asked my protector her name and found out she was called Anne.

Anne walked into the room with another guy and said, "Okay, Mr. Carlton. We'll be air lifting you to a secure cabin about two hours northwest of here. We have another team that's already secured it and stocked it with anything you might need."

"How long do you think I have to stay there?" I asked not looking forward to being isolated in the woods.

"Until we catch the bastards trying to kill you. I am sorry, sir. It's for the best."

I nodded and read the discharge instructions. It showed some exercises I had to do for range of motion and how to care for the wounds.

"Leave your phone in the box there; we can't risk them tracking you," Anne said before letting me leave the room. I didn't want to lose my lifeline but knew from the movies about phones being found easily, so I did as asked.

***

The helicopter landed and I was handed a duffel bag.

Anne said, "We guessed at your sizes, but should be pretty close. You've got some workout gear, jeans, t-shirts, and tank tops. There's also an iPad so you won't be too bored. The car will take you to the cabin, it's half a mile from here."

I nodded, and she smiled wanly, "You're in good hands. Mr. Carlton. Good luck."

"Thanks," I said after wincing in pain from getting out of the cramped chopper.

I still didn't know if I had a television, cable, or any other of life's necessities. Jesus, I didn't even know if there'd be wine.

When the driver stopped, I was shocked at the sight. It wasn't a cabin; it was a log cabin mansion. It looked like a millionaire's country home.

The front door opened and a gorgeous woman in scrubs walked out to greet me.

"Hello Mr. Carlton. My name is Sandy, and I'm here to give you a final checkup and make sure everything is as it should be before you're sequestered."

"Oh?" I asked. "I won't have a beautiful nurse stay with me while I heal?" I was kidding, of course. I didn't need a nurse for my injuries, but she was striking and blushed at my flirting.

She smirked, "No. Your housemate is a former nurse though. You'll be okay with her."

She started laughing and carried the bags from the trunk into the house. I thought it was strange but followed her. I also wondered who my lady roommate was.

I wasn't told I'd have a roommate for my forced seclusion, but I didn't mind as it would be better than being alone. Hopefully, she was cool, and I'd get along with her. The last thing I wanted was a crappy housemate who chewed too loudly. I figured she was probably the owner and a friend of the royal family, so I'd better be on my best behavior.

Bh76
Bh76
2,780 Followers