Wicked Angel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Whoa calm down." Richard said wearily. "I didn't mean anything by it. It's just that she looks so vulnerable. She got caught up in this mess right along with you. I'm just saying that it would make sense for her to take you back."

"She's not the one in control this time." Jace found himself saying. "Why does it have to be Siu who should take me back, and not the other way around? She walked out on me!"

Richard's eyes grew even wider, and he seemed baffled.

"What?" Jace asked. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Jay, as long as I've known you...sorry to say this, but you've always been the wimpy type. I was expecting you to ask me to beg her to come back to you...or something. But this! This is a whole new breed of Avery. Just don't turn asshole like your brother, huh?" Richard grinned.

He was about to deny ever turning into the vicious viper that Jon was, when his cell went off. It was his father. Jace picked up, already anticipating the scolding he would receive.

"Jace? What the hell is going on with you?" Walter asked crossly.

It was just like him to cut to the chase without expressing any concern, or sympathy for his youngest son. Jace didn't reply.

"I need to see you ASAP. We seriously need to talk this out, and get things back to normal. I won't have you two fighting on company grounds, and making a spectacle of yourselves." Walter dictated.

"I wasn't the one who started this. Did you ever think to ask about his involvement with Siu? But what am I saying? You already knew what your favorite son was up to, didn't you?"

"Jace this isn't about favorites. Where are you right now?" Walter asked, evading the question.

"I'm having lunch." Jace said bluntly and firmly; hoping that this would cause his father to leave him alone for the meantime.

"Afterwards, come to my place, so we can talk. I'm worried about you son."

"Since when?" Jace scoffed. "Now that I'm no longer keeping quiet, you want to talk? Talk to Jon instead. I have nothing to say."

"Jace...we need to talk about things apart from what happened today. We've waited too long to address it. You need to let the past go. Your mother wouldn't appreciate the way you two are acting. She loved both of you, and it's a shame that you both use her as a reason to keep up this feud. Please Jace." Walter said almost sorrowfully.

"Fine, I'll be there." Jace sighed. "Give me an hour."

"Alright son. Thank you. I'll see you soon."

"What does the old man want?" Richard asked, as Jace ended the call.

"To talk. I think I'm gonna have to ditch you. I don't really have an appetite. Maybe a drink, and I'll be off. Can you drop me off to get my car?" he asked, taking another shot.

"You're not planning on driving over there like that, are you?" Richard frowned, already aware that Jace was slightly tipsy. "And your hand is pretty banged up. I don't want your death on my conscience. Besides Lily might kill me!"

Jace had been caught off guard by the remark, but then smiled at his best friend. It was the first time in days since he had genuinely smiled. He felt lucky to still have this friend who retained a sense of humor. He hadn't been sure of how Richard would have responded to everything, but in the end he came through, as always.

Richard drove him to Walter's apartment, which was more modest than the previous home he owned. The Avery family estate had been an eighteen thousand square foot lot, which reflected the magnitude of their wealth and success. It was complete with every luxury any wealthy family would ever ask for, and Jace supposed that he had loved the place.

His earlier life there had been filled with joy, but it was no longer his home; both figuratively and literally. Walter had put the house up for auction, and now resided in a suite which suited the life of a bachelor, or widower. The area was much closer to the company tower, and as Jace was guided to his father's study by the help, he wondered if his mother would have liked this place, which didn't resemble a home, but an office. He wondered if his father too, whom he now came upon, considered this his true home.

Walter Avery looked like the true business man that he was. His once chestnut hair was now grey-white, and coifed to suit his rounded face. He never dressed casually anymore, and only graced his best suits every time Jace saw him. It was obvious that he too suffered from the loss of his wife, and dealt with it in his own way; by putting business first. But Jace distanced himself from such sympathetic thought. Now wasn't the time to feel sorry for anyone, especially when they viewed him as the problem child. He hadn't seen Jon's Jag outside the premises, and wondered if he would be reprimanded in place of his brother.

Looking up from his neatly arranged desk, Walter smiled sincerely at his youngest son, who remained standing.

"Thank you for coming Jace. I didn't ask your brother over just yet, because I don't want a second incident. Sit down, please."

Jace remained quiet, not greeting or thanking his father for his courtesy, and took a seat.

"I know that your brother hurt you, but you need to let it go Jace. Your mother wouldn't like to see the two of you fighting like this. This tiny feud has rolled over into the work place, and I won't have it." Walter said, but not in the same harsh tones he had used over the phone.

Still, there was evidence of a command in his tone, and Jace couldn't help but feel like an awkward teenager again. They were supposed to be grown men, but while Jon played his games, he was the one being spoken to first.

"I stay away from him as much as I can." Jace retorted. "He's deliberately trying to ruin me, and I don't know why. If he hadn't done what he did all those years ago, maybe I would be able to forgive him for all the petty bullshit, but he destroyed our relationship."

"Jon loved your mother just as much as you did. Do you know why he left you out?"

"No, and I don't care. Why would anyone do something as fucked up as that?"

"Jace you have to understand. While you were away, he was always with your mother. He stayed by her bedside until the very end. What hurt him the most is that she kept asking for you; even until her last breath. Her last words to Jon were, 'Where's my baby boy. I want my baby boy.' I think your brother just felt betrayed."

Jace took a deep breath, and tried to suppress the sweltering emotion that Walter's words triggered. He should have been there with his mother in her time of need, but she died before he got the chance to say goodbye. How could he have known in time? She was the one who had sent him off to the university. Didn't Jon understand that? Hot tears streamed down his face, and he wiped them away quickly, ashamed to bear them in front of his nearly estranged father.

"It's not your fault Jace. Since then, I doted on your brother, trying to make things right. But at the same time, I neglected you, and I'm sorry for that. His behavior has been...questionable, and I'm really not sure what I could say to make you forgive him. Please try to understand the pain he feels."

"The pain he feels? And what about mine?" Jace asked, maddened by his brother's victimization. "I leave the bastard alone! I barely know who he is anymore! He decided to make things personal when he lied to Siu. For your information, she was the one who crashed the meeting. We were solely there to explain the new brand to Jon. He asked for this meeting, and things were going well until she showed up. I should've known that he was setting me up. When did he ever take so much interest in anything going on at the company? I wanted to make a difference, but he has no concern for anything, other than revenge!"

"Now hold on a minute. Jon cares about the company as much as I do, and he wants to take my place after I retire."

"No he doesn't. As much as I hate sticking up for him, he hates it there. Can't you tell? He wants to be out there, building and constructing." and Jace pointed to the French windows as he went on. "That's what he's passionate about. Deep down you know that! At the office, he has nothing to do except take my life apart, and watch me suffer."

"That's not fair Jace. You're saying that I don't know my own children. All I've ever wanted was for the two of you to be happy. You know that having the company thrive will secure your futures."

Jace shook his head incredulously. "Look, obviously you don't see as much as you think you do. Anyway, I've got to go. Just tell Jon to stay the hell away from me."

"Jace wait. I'll have a talk with Siu and her father. I can get both of them to come around. We'll try to sort this out."

Jace got up from his seat, and turned to walk out. "There's nothing to sort out. She's fine exactly where she is."

Chapter Four

Lily stepped aside, and as he entered the apartment, she still greeted him as if nothing had ever changed between them. He would have never guessed that beneath the surface of this angel, was a vixen of deliciously wicked intent. He had expected her to avoid him, but she had invited him over to her place. It had been a few days since his fight with Jon, and he had kept a low profile since then. He was quite sure that everyone would be talking about it, despite his father's distaste for gossip. So he decided to steer clear of anything related to business. He took a small leave from work, and didn't contact anyone.

But in the end he grew lonesome, and decided to reach out to Lily. Maybe loneliness had driven him to this point, but he needed to see her. In the past, if anything at all was bothering him, he had his work to distract him. For the time being, that option didn't exist, so he decided to call on her. To his surprise, there was no judgment, or suspicion. She had also wanted to see him, and was worried about him.

Not wanting to push his luck, Jace had only hoped to hear her voice over the phone. But she insisted that he make a trip to her apartment. Wanting to get out of his depression, he drove over there with no time to spare. He didn't know what to expect, or what he would even say when he got there. He only knew that he had to go to her.

The very last time they had enjoyed a candid moment was during dinner at the restaurant. It seemed like ages ago, because the Lily he knew back then, was not the same person he knew now. A part of him missed her older persona. There had been no mystery to who she was. Now he felt like he only knew what she wanted him to know, out of distrust. He felt a little betrayed by the thought, but he couldn't blame her for it. After all, it was done for her own protection.

Nevertheless, his curiosity drove him on. He needed to know more. He needed to know everything he could about her. This went beyond lust, and he knew it. Something stronger bound him to Lily. However, he was too afraid to explore the issue. He felt like the betrayer of both women.

Still, he had never thirsted for the company of a woman before, and this told him that there was something spectacular that only Lily could offer him. While he had no idea what that something was, he meant to find out, and have it.

She had led him inside to her living room couch, where he sat and awaited a drink. He was surprised to see that she lived modestly, as he did. With her current salary, she could afford all sorts of expensive gadgets, yet her living room area had been strictly devoted to reading, and aromatherapy.

The powerful scent of sleep inducing Lavender hit him once he entered the area, and he saw that the fragrance emanated from a myriad of scented candles and oil diffusers. Her sparse furniture consisted of a three sofa set fashioned in black leather, a glass coffee table, an office desk placed near a pair of blinded windows, and two large bookcases.

Against the warm burgundy paint, a few paintings of pastoral scenes lined the walls, along with crystal light fixtures. Jace's living room was very similar, except it was painted in a Robin's Egg blue, and the furniture had been arranged differently. Her living room reflected that she enjoyed quiet, and a clutter free environment. Had they been on more personal terms, he might have bypassed politeness, and sank into one of the couches with a good book. But he imagined that it would be a while before he could ever be so easy going with her.

They had only smiled at each other, and exchanged pleasant greetings as they always did. But Jace knew that the bomb would drop sooner or later. She had offered him a glass of brandy, which he accepted, and the amber liquid immediately chased away the cold, as well as his nervousness. He was no longer frightened of her, or what she would say to him now. He just hoped that this slight bit of bravery would last the night.

"Jace? Am I safe with you?" she asked finally, robbing him of any chance to ease into more casual conversation.

She sat down opposite from him, and stared at him intently, waiting for an answer. He admired her straightforwardness. If he could have his way, he would have pretended that he only came to see an old friend, and nothing more. He was never good at handling situations which bordered on the sexual, or raunchy side. For the most part, he had always relied on females to be the more aggressive counterparts in his relationships. Siu had been just that, which explained her behavior.

He frowned in response and answered, "Of course you are. I'd never hurt you."

"Well...I've put you in a position where you've had to make some very hard decisions. I might be threatening my security by taking a chance on you. I know that you want to talk to me about everything that's happened. But if we do, you might have second thoughts about the person you're becoming, and relapse into that corner. I don't want that, and I'm sure that you don't either."

"What am I becoming? That's the million dollar question isn't it?" he smiled. "A short while ago everything was stable, and I had a good handle on the direction that I wanted to take my life. Now...it's all but clear."

Lily looked at him thoughtfully and said, "You're becoming the man you were always meant to be. I just gave you a little nudge in the right direction. But to be honest, I didn't mean for any trouble. Things have been really tense at the office, and no one knows what's going to happen."

"Going to happen as far as what? I haven't spoken to anyone in a while, so this is all news to me. Tell me...is Jon still causing trouble?"

"Actually, no. He's been more reserved lately, and barely in sight. I imagine he got a warning from your father as well. It's just that when you took time off, we didn't know if your father had removed you from the floor. We've always rooted for you, and with you gone, no one knows how things will end up under management."

"I'm not going anywhere Lily. Trust me. If I can be confident about anything, it's my position at the company. My father wouldn't remove me because he knows that I love what I do, and work hard to maintain my position. Nothing will happen to me. But...what about you? Did anyone treat you differently?"

"Well, no. Things are the same, and we're still on schedule, but I think that I should give up on my dreams of being promoted."

"Why? Was something said to you?" he frowned, and set his drink down onto the coffee table.

"Not exactly. But let's be real. I'm one of the people to blame for this whole thing. My reputation is no longer spotless, and my power will always be limited. So, helping you to see this through is probably my best option right now. That is, if you still want my help."

He thought to say more, but dismissed the idea. Enough with the questions, and the doubting. She had already given him a taste of the power he could have, and he wanted to know and feel that authority again. She would show him the way to freedom.

"So...how would you continue to help?" he asked with a tiny smile. "More awkward situations between the two of us?"

"Yes, well it would only be awkward for you." she giggled. "But you still have a choice. There are a lot of things you don't know about me, and I'm willing to be open with you. I'm hoping that I can continue to trust you."

"You definitely can. Forgive me if I've been acting strangely. I just felt as if I was talking to someone I thought I knew. It turns out that you're a complete mystery."

"So is every other woman on this planet. Well...I wouldn't say that we're a mystery. We're just more complicated than what people perceive on the outside. But I don't blame you for seeing things in only one dimension. Your father probably passed that ideology onto you."

He resented the statement, and wanted to defend against it, but he knew that she was right. His father might have influenced a more biased outlook. A balanced perception had gone out the window with his mother's passing.

"If you feel uneasy Jace, you can leave. It's still early." she added. "I'm not holding you to this, because you have more at stake than I do. You still love Siu, don't you?"

"I...I'm not sure. I think I may have deep feelings for her." he said uncomfortably; taken aback by Lily's directness.

"Why don't you go home then, instead of jeopardizing your future with her?"

He recognized the challenge in her statement, yet she hadn't said this tauntingly, or in annoyance. There was empathy in her tone, when there should have been a lack of understanding. After all, he had let things get this far while still holding onto indecisiveness, and his feelings for Siu. He wondered why she endured him.

"It's not so simple." he replied, and took another sip of his drink.

"Then explain it to me. Tell me what I must do to keep you safe."

Jace frowned, "Lily this isn't about keeping me safe. You talk as if you're nobody, and I'm just using you because of my issues with Siu."

"Isn't that the real reason you came to me? I was only a friend until the rumors began."

"Look, screw the rumors!" he said boldly. "You were more than that. I just never...had the eyes to see it. There's no need to question my motives. I came here to see you, not her."

She looked at him doubtfully.

"Don't look at me like that. It's the truth." he said earnestly.

"Suppose she finds out that she was wrong, and that you never did cheat on her. Wouldn't you deny me, and pretend like nothing happened between us?"

He had heard this hypothetical scenario before from Richard. If she did find out that he was indeed faithful, what would keep her from accusing him in the future? Why hadn't she been open with him, and taken his brother's side instead? These questions turned him off from ever wanting to go back. He did care for her, and it pained him to see her miserable, but there was an attraction to Lily that couldn't be forgotten. Her gentleness, her sincerity, and the way she made him feel overshadowed everything about Siu.

"Honestly I couldn't pretend that none of it happened. I could never forget. It was unexpected, but I'm glad that it happened. You woke me up."

Lily laughed to herself, "Well...maybe that was the effect I was going for."

"Anyway, I wanted you to know that I'm not ashamed of any of it, and I'm hoping that we can...possibly..."

She didn't let him finish, and even he hadn't been sure of what he was going to say.

"I should tell you that at first I didn't want to make a move on you at the party. I knew that I'd be putting everything you knew, and relied on at risk. But you looked so sad and vulnerable. I didn't want to see you like that. It hurt to watch you so miserable. Anyone could see that your family has this power over you. I'm not asking you to tell me what it is, and I'm not criticizing you for it either, but at a certain point, I knew you needed to take your power back. That's why I acted."

She said all this as if she had meant to thwart his confession. She must not have wanted to acknowledge his need for a serious relationship. Out of fear that he was moving too fast, he backed off and considered what she said.

1...45678...12