Wings

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

~~<>~~

"And, oh, I know you feel the lightnin'

And it's so excitin'

So, here we come."

Exactly three months later, we board an airplane. It was her idea even.

"If we're going on a second honeymoon after we renew our vows, we're going overseas."

"That'll mean a plane."

"Yes. I am aware of that captain fucking obvious. Unless you want to swim to Fiji?"

"Fiji is it?"

"Yes, I've got it all organised. I just wanted your opinion before I purchase tickets."

"Hahaha. You want my opinion? On what? It sounds like you've drafted a mission plan and what? Now you want my approval? Tell me the details then."

"So, we depart on the fifth of next month. It's a Friday. I'll be exactly ten weeks along so won't be showing too much for a swimsuit and aside from morning sickness, if that happens again this time, I'll be fit for all sorts of activities, scuba, paddling, bedroom..." She winks.

"It's a short flight, a large plane, so I'll be less terrified than if it was a little thing. Not too similar to the ones I flew, so shouldn't trigger me too much. I'll have you beside me to hang on to. And Fiji is nice and quiet this time of year. The weather is not too hot and... What?"

"Nothing." I smirk at her meticulous planning, "Go on."

"I've tentatively booked a celebrant for the fourth and made sure close family and friends are free. We'll have a renewal ceremony here on the farm and Laurie, Mum, has agreed to sit for the ten days. I've contacted the airline and had them email me the pilots' qualifications for the flight we'll be taking and I'm satisfied that he's competent and has a good flight history."

"Hahaha..." I'm holding a palm over my face and laughing out loud at her admission of checking up on the pilot.

"Anyway... Smartarse. I've already packed. You just have to say yes."

"Come here, my phoenix girl. It'll be nice to see you flying again."

But now that we're standing at the steps to the aircraft, she's looking a little green.

"Are you ok?"

"Those tyres look a little worn." She gestures at the landing gear. "Everything appears tagged out though."

"What do you mean?"

"The little wire... Never mind. Overthinking. Cuddle me."

"Should you take a Valium?"

"No. I need to experience this fully. Immersion therapy. I'd explain it but you'd laugh at me and I don't want to start our second honeymoon with domestic violence. Besides, it would be embarrassing for you."

We're seated by a sweetly spoken attendant. "Mr and Mrs Waters, I'm Leanne. If there's anything you need, please ask for me by name."

"Thank you, Leanne. I'm sure we'll be fine." I nod as I help Lara over into the window seat. We'd discussed seating and she said she would be more comfortable if she could see outside. I smile as I watch Lara busily examining her harness and checking its operation. She's doing so well. Eventually she settles back into her seat, closes her eyes and takes some deep calming breaths. Her grip on my hand tells me that they are working.

"Mrs Waters?" Her eyes snap open and I look up from her to find a snappily dressed airman addressing us.

"Lara. Please. You are Gavin Myers?"

"You have done your research Flight Lieutenant Pennington." Lara blushes at his reference to her inquiries. "I have a couple of orders of business to attend to pre-flight if you have a moment. My wife... Huge fan of your pod cast."

He hands her a piece of paper and a pen. "She'll kill me if I don't get an autograph."

"You have a pod cast?" I ask Lara.

"Ha. A silly thing on parenting."

"Well, Sarah listens to it like gospel." He takes the sheet of paper back, "And I'm afraid there has been a seating error."

"Oh?" Lara looks a little tense at the concept of leaving her fully inspected window seat.

"Indeed. If you'll both please follow me?" He turns as if there is no question that we will not comply and Lara's face darkens with worry as she unbuckles and stands. "I was in a chinook that went down in the Ghan. We were being transported to an air base where I flew 130's. Came home an absolute mess. Started drowning myself in whiskey to try and wash it all away. Sarah pulled me out of the bottle but it was your public speaking which put me back in a plane. My daughter was at a careers evening six years ago and your bravery made me ashamed."

"But here you are." Lara smiles at him as he opens the door to the cockpit.

"And here you are. Pilots fly from the front, Mrs Waters. That's your seat right there." He points at the empty co-pilot seat. "Mr Water's you can sit with Malcom my co, over there."

"I don't know. I-" She clings to me and buries her face in my chest. "I can't... My hands, if anything... and I had to..."

"Malcom is a moment away if there is a problem, Mrs Waters."

"Jaxon?"

"You can do this. You were born to do this. Go on, now."

Nervously, she sucks in a deep breath, stomps her foot lightly, exhales and looks around the cockpit. As I sit next to 'Malcom' who is busy with paperwork, I see Gavin show her certain instruments and discuss controls.

"Very similar to the c130's but you'll find you have a lot more thrust to work with and she's a sprightly tub for a big girl. None of that wallowing feeling. Very responsive. Once we're up at cruising altitude we'll hand her over to the computer and review, okay?"

Lara's nervous shrug is all I need to tell me that despite her anxiety, she has committed to the moment. Proudly, I watch as she examines instruments and switches and buckles herself into the co-pilots seat. Her face is set in a serious, pursed lips intensity which I recognise as her pilot's face. It's all business and responsibility. It's the same face she makes when she's navigating business decisions.

Gavin returns and tells her, "All aboard. I'll welcome them while you taxi us. We're headed over there, see... Follow the escort tractor."

"I-" She was going to object but he skilfully picked up the cabin microphone and started talking. With a little 'shooing' gesture, he dismisses her objections. She glances sideways at me with a half excited, half grimacing expression and then she just plain gets to work.

I watch as she flicks switches, checks things, stirs the giant engines a little and when she is thoroughly satisfied, releases brakes and urges the throttles slightly forward with her very steady, confidently strong hands. Gavin winks at me and continues his pre-flight speech.

There is the beginning of a smile forming at the corners of Lara's mouth as she turns the plane around at the end of the runway and begins winding the roaring jets up. Gavin sets aside the cabin microphone and places his head set on. His hand joins hers on the throttles and he tells her some stuff about wind speed and something else that makes no sense to me and I watch elated as they push the throttles forward.

The plane rushes down the runway. I'm pressed back in my seat and I watch as Lara begins pulling back on the controls and we lift into the air. My elation at the sheer speed and thrust pales beside the joy I feel watching my wife.

My favourite moment is when I see Lara so intently focused on that she doesn't know Gavin has removed his hands from both the throttles and the controls and crossed them over his chest. He watches almost as proudly as I, as Lara climbs us all safely high into the sky.

It's only when he lifts a bottle of water to his lips that Lara startles and realises, she alone controls the plane.

"Fucking arsehole!" She laughs at him.

"Like falling off a bike, just faster." He winks at her. "Hurts a bunch more if you hit the ground too, but you never forget."

I love that I'm forgotten as she excitedly speaks with him about things I have no concept of. I love that her eyes sparkle with joy as she surges us steeply upward into the open blue sky. At cruising altitude, she unbuckles and cries into my shoulder. The emotion of it all must overwhelm her, so I hold her until she settles.

Malcom has re-taken his seat and Gavin has excused himself to speak with attendants, so I snuggle this woman I love as much as I admire in this moment. When Gavin returns, he smiles at Lara sleeping in my arms.

"That must have been exhausting for her. She was very brave."

I just nod. I'm feeling a little emotional myself and don't trust my voice.

"I'll let you know when we're due for descent. She can help me land."

I must have dozed off myself because when my eyes pop open my lap is empty and Lara has Gavin trapped in fervent conversation that I can't quite hear, behind me somewhere. Snippets of things about required hours, civilian licencing, different sorts of smaller aircraft, 'ten seater or a little Lear jet maybe', filter through for me and I shake my head. This was supposed to be a honeymoon. I just know she's going to spend the whole time planning some new adventure.

Gavin talks her through the landing and assists with the controls. It's a windy runway and a tricky descent. Nonetheless, they masterfully brings the plane down and taxi around to where he indicates.

"You guys best hustle. You need the shuttle. You have my contacts Lara, use them. I can help with processes and information. The rest is up to you."

"Thanks Gavin."

On the shuttle I look sideways at her smiling face and ask, "I can see your brain working. Plotting... What exactly are you getting yourself into now?"

"Well, dear hubby... Wouldn't it be good if Phoenix had its own transport to get clients and other health patients from the bush to Brissy?"

"Hahaha... And I guess the best transport would be a plane? Maybe a ten-seater or a Leotard or something."

"Lear jet, wanker. But I think they're too quick for the remote strips. I've just about got it all sorted."

"Just need to find a pilot somewhere..." I tease.

"I know just the girl." She kisses my cheek.

"Me too. There's just no stopping her."

~~<>~~


1...5678910