Wolvren Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I see. You may sit up. The soul flux has confirmed my suspicions on your wolf magic. You do seem to possess the ancient magic that I have spoken of albeit dormant. It seems to be seated deep within your soul. If you could imagine a beings soul like that of a pond, brimming with life force that gives each being life. As mates you can feel ripples from your pond extend into each others and vice versa. But with the wolf magic, your normally blue pond has a deep green centre at the bottom like a natural wolf, as Lord Dax's is red being a werewolf. This is quite interesting. Adept Kari and I will be making quite a few additions to my lexicons now that we have new information," said Lord Barros as he straightened his robes, handing the scanning rods to Kari.

"Lord Barros, I thank you for your hard work but what does all this mean? Why did you ask about the wargs that attacked Keean and does my mate being the Wolfbound mean anything to you?" asked Dax agitated. They were finally making some headway, but all the explanations left the big alpha with more questions.

"Yes yes. Very well. I was about to invite you two to some tea to further answer your questions. As being one of few who can use the soul flux, it does tend to drain me of my energy. Adept Kari, do you mind requesting some refreshments from the servants and meeting us in my study," asked Lord Barros gently as he dabbed his forehead with a handkerchief.

"My sincerest apologies Lord Barros. Forgive my rudeness. I am truly grateful for your kindness and efforts," said Dax as he bowed to the smaller healer. He turned to acknowledge the hand on his arm as he regarded his mate. Keean smiled gently to him and Dax relaxed.

"Not to worry Lord Dax. You are the future King of Wolvren. It is my pleasure to assist and I truly find the case quite fascinating. Now, how about a spot of tea," Lord Barros smiled gently and ushered the mates through to his study.

The healer's wing was a large hall split into many rooms for various levels of healing. Healers passed the trio and bowed to the Chief Healer who smiled at each one. A few werewolf soldiers could be seen being treated and bandaged from their training regiments. One section of the wing housed what looked to Keean as a clinic as he saw patients sitting and waiting to be seen to by one of the healers. Mothers with small children, elderly and average people alike, sat patiently for their turn. Healers wearing the same robes as Kari were speaking to the people as they wrote down responses on clipboards. Keean smiled to himself, glad that the luxury of the castle did not keep healthcare from the villagers. Many stared openly at Dax and Keean as they walked passed and whispered to each other. Dax seemed to ignore the quiet chatter and Keean just waved to a few as they walked on.

Entering the study, Keean had to smile from seeing the docs office. The walls were lined with various posters of animal and human anatomy. He found the one that had a detailed drawing of a werewolf, fascinating. Shelves of books and jars lined one entire side of the office and a massive desk with neatly stacked papers were lit by two big lanterns. A large staff capped with a magnificent sapphire stood up against the desk. Lord Barros offered his guests the two chairs that sat in front of his desk whilst he sat himself at a ridiculously oversized leather chair. The top of the chair towered over his head and the small healer looked more like a judge than a doctor. Kari came in, pushed through a cart of tea and refreshments, and served the three males. Once each had a cup and a plate, she seated herself next to Lord Barros and sipped her tea patiently waiting for her grandfather to begin.

"Ah. Despite what many may think of my views on healing, I truly feel that nothing soothes the body and soul like a nice cup of tea. Now, to answer your questions Lord Dax, the reason I asked about the wargs is that Master Keean may possibly be able to control beings of the canid form. I find it odd that wargs or whatever they may be that resemble werewolves, would outright attack Master Keean. But from what I have heard about the explanation that he has given, it would seem that these wargs don't exhibit canid traits. If they did, they would not have attacked him. They could be some different kind of creature, controlled by something else entirely. As I do not have a sample to study to assess their makeup, I would strongly advise against encountering these creatures. I have not heard of this black ash that Master Keean spoke of when he defeated the wargs but it seems to be something sinister. As for your second question. Yes. I have heard of the Wolfbound," said Lord Barros calmly as he sipped his tea.

"What! You have. What can you tell us doc?" asked Keean excitedly. He almost dropped his cup as he sat on the edge of his seat. Dax was equally surprised and stared wide eyed at the chief healer.

Lord Barros raised his hand to calm the two mates as he sipped his tea and continued. Kari sat quietly taking in all the information she could.

"It is an old prophecy of the Fenrir Temple. It is quite cryptic. I do not possess a copy, as I think that few do, but from my recollection, I can say that the Wolfbound is someone who has been chosen by Fenrir and that he who has been bitten by Fenrir, protects him or her. That is all I know. Given that you possess the ancient magic that traces its source to the Fenrir Temple, it would seem that you may indeed be this Wolfbound and in turn, Lord Dax, that would make you the one bitten by Fenrir. I would suggest against going there as the journey is quite treacherous and many that have gone to the Wandering City have not returned," Lord Barros said in a solemn voice. He stared at Keean who looked to Dax pleadingly.

"Out of the question! Not with a thousand soldiers would we go there my mate. The Wandering Desert is a wasteland of death. I am sorry but I cannot entertain any notion of you going there. What if all of this is their doing and you would be walking straight into their hands. You heard Lord Barros. Its too dangerous," said Dax adamantly. Whatever evils lay deep within that hell would remain a mystery to him and his mate as long as Dax had anything to say about it.

"I agree. There is no guarantee that you would be safe and we do not know what may happen. Lord Dax is correct. It would be best if you bided your time and try to understand your situation on your own," said Lord Barros sternly.

Keean looked at the cup in his hand and nodded. He knew going there was out of the question. But he had so many questions that needed to be answered. How was he going to do that now?

"Mm, uh *cough*" spattered Kari as she looked from Dax to Keean.

"Yes Adept Kari?" asked her grandfather questioningly, with a tiny smile.

"Uh, no grandpapa, the tea. Swallowed too fast," said Kari as she blushed and looked into her cup. Slowly she peeked up at Keean and saw the questioning look on his face. She gulped and looked back down.

"I know you both are right. I wouldn't want you or anyone to get hurt or worse just because I have questions. Vittoria and I can look through the library and even the Mages College if needs be. There's still hope we will find more information. In the meantime, you have too much to do here before you're crowned, remember," Keean smiled to Dax sincerely. Dax was boneless with relief that his mate was seeing reason.

"Yes, I do have quite a few things to attend to before the coronation. As do you my mate. We must attend a few gatherings of the Noble Houses in anticipation," sighed Dax heavily as he knew he was going to have to butter up the old Lords if things were to go over smoothly. He needed their support and their soldiers if things with Rummund intensified.

"As for the two of you as mates. I would still suggest holding off on any carnal intimacies but that advice seems useless given your bouts last night and this morning, hmm?" questioned Lord Barros as he peered at the two embarrassed mates over his tiny glasses as they shifted uncomfortably in their chairs.

"Uh, how did you know doc?" asked Keean shyly.

"Master Keean, I have been the chief healer of Wolvren for almost thirty years. If my blessing cannot sense two mates who have engaged in passion, then I would gladly retire my robes. Now, if you would excuse me, my day, as yours, as already started and as Lord Dax mentioned, there is quite a bit to do before the coronation. My wife as beautiful and delicate as she is can be quite fierce at the prospects of new gowns and jewels for the upcoming festivities. Alas, my poor treasury," sighed the old healer as he smiled to the two mates.

"Grandpapa...Grandmamma will not approve of you talking about her like that. Even if you are correct," smiled Kari to her grandfather. She remembered her cotillion when she turned fifteen and shuddered at her grandmother's strict instructions on how to be a Lady.

"Yes. Thank you Lord Barros. I truly appreciate your help and advice. I hope I can count on it in the future," said Dax standing and extending his large hand to the smaller healer.

"It is the House of Clearwater's honour to serve you my Lord Dax. As well as you Master Keean. I am truly intrigued in what the future holds for the two of you and I will gladly support your interests. If you need any future healings, Kari will be available as your royal retainer. She may only be an Adept, but believe me she is quite skilled having tutored her myself," offered Lord Barros to Dax as he shook Dax's hand. Keean didn't miss the tiny wink the doc gave him.

"Thanks a million doc. I don't know what we would've done without you," said Keean as he too shook the old healers hand. Keean felt a warmth radiate from his palm and frowned a bit at the somewhat pleasant feeling.

"Posh! Now Adept Kari will you be so kind as to guide our future royals on their way. I have a few more papers to read through. Good day Lord Dax. Good day Master Keean," bowed the smaller man dismissing the two future kings.

"My mate will you be alright with Lady Kari? I have to attend a few meetings with Alistair and the council. Vittoria will gladly take you to the Royal Library as well. Lady Kari, do you mind accompanying Keean to show him around?" asked Dax as they made their way to the entrance of the healers wing.

"Of course Lord Dax," Kari bowed to the future king.

"Sure. You go take care of all the politics and we will have a look around the castle. Meet for lunch later?" asked Keean eager to have a look around the castle.

"Of course my mate. Noon bell, and I will meet you in the common room. Have a nice time and try not to destroy my castle before I am king," teased Dax as he kissed his mate and made his way to the council chambers.

"See you later big guy," waved Keean as he watched Dax's ass tightly bounce as he padded down the hallway and out of sight. Turning to Kari, Keean cornered her by a window.

"Okay spill! You were gonna say something in there, when your grandfather mentioned how dangerous the journey was to the Wondering City," asked Keean as he narrowed his eyes on the flush faced Kari.

"Uh. No Keean, the tea-" Kari began.

"Kari! Don't lie to me. I may be from another world but I aint stupid. Now spill," said Keean seriously.

"Alright. But Lord Dax will have my head if he knew I was telling you this. I could lose my robes. There is way to safely get through the Wandering Desert," whispered Kari as she looked around the empty hallway for prying ears.

"I knew it! How the hell do you know about this when your grandfather and Dax doesn't even know?" asked Keean excitedly.

"Before I became a Healer, I...I was a battle mage. My father's side of the family gave me my blessing. However, my mother's side, well they are all mages. It's rare, but I'm a dual wielder. I went around with a few of the werewolf troops trying my hand at combat, but the healing blessing in me couldn't bear to take another's life. During my year as a battle mage, I came across talk about how the monks came and went on their pilgrimages. During a full moon, one can safely travel through the desert because the moonlight illuminates a safe path. But it's almost impossible. The moonlight is only good for a night and you would need three days to cross the desert, even on the fastest horse," said Kari incredulously.

"Damn Kari. You're amazing. Well okay, then how did the monks travel after the moonlight?" asked Keean.

"I'm not entirely sure but I think there are some oasis in the desert. The monks, they memorised the path, even to travel when there was no moonlight," said Kari as she was already knee deep and hiding anything would just make things worse.

"So you're saying that there is a pathway. And if we had fast enough transport, we could get through the desert in a few hours, while mapping the pathway to get back," said Keean as his eyes glimmered.

"Yes Master Keean, but that's impossible. There is nothing fast enough in Wolvren to make that journey," said Kari as she stared at Keean in disbelief.

"Maybe...But I'm sure that a bottle of firestorm could power something I can design. Quick, let's go to the library and see my second favourite battle mage," said Keean mischievously as he hugged Kari and ran ahead.

"Master Keean! We are going to get into so much trouble. I'm too old to change careers now. Goddess give me strength. What in Lycra, have I gotten myself into?" groaned the small healer as she ran after the alpha's mate.