Your Silver Nights and Golden Days Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We went home. There was a lot of planning to do over the next few weeks. Matthew and Mark were going to go back with Grace to California to live with her. We were going to have to have their stuff shipped out there as soon afterward as possible. I was going to follow them out there as soon as I could.

I had not heard anything from General Fain about what he would do about me. I had signed the letter of reprimand that he had drawn up shortly after the funeral. He put it in his drawer and said he was still trying to work something out. I told him that whatever it was, I wouldn't fight it. He again gave me his condolences. I'm starting to think his bluster about homosexuality was just that ... bluster.

There was one thing I had to do that I hoped wouldn't cause Grace any problems. I contacted Bonnie's ex-husband Gary. I told him that Bonnie was dead and that he would have to start sending the child support payments to Grace since she would be taking care of them. I asked him if he would contest Grace for custody of Matthew and Mark. Gary said no, that he had had no part of their life up until now, and he was okay with Grace taking charge of them. I thanked him for that and hung up. I was determined that if he tried to interfere, I would hire the best lawyers to prevent it.

We packed all the boys' clothing and possessions and called the shipper to collect them and send them out to Grace's place. I saw Grace, Matthew, and Mark off at the airport, promising them I'd be out to see them as soon as possible. I hugged each of the boys, telling them how much I loved them and that I would miss them terribly. They both told me they loved me back. I watched them go through the door to get on the plane. Kathy was going to meet them at LAX. She was on crutches now and could get around without too much trouble. I was glad that Grace would have Kathy to support her until I could return. I stood there at the gate, wishing I could go with them until their aircraft pulled out of the gate and then headed out to the parking garage to get my car and head home.

When I got home, I decided it was time to make the call I had promised myself I would never make. I dialed the number from memory, and after three rings, the operator answered, saying, "Pentagon Switchboard. Where may I direct your call?"

"General Michael Travis, please."

"Who may I say is calling?"

"Major Virginia Hanratty."

"One moment, please."

After a minute, I heard a click and then, "This is General Travis."

"Mike, this is Virginia," I said, steeling myself for what was coming.

"Virginia, to what can I blame this call on?" he asked.

"I need to call that favor in you said you owed me," I said.

After a long pregnant pause, Mike said, "Of course, Virginia. Whatever it is, I'll do what I can. By the way, congratulations on getting your line number for Lieutenant Colonel."

"Thanks, Mike," I said. The irony of the situation hit me as I went on to explain to him what I needed. He tried to dissuade me, but I insisted, and he eventually said he'd take care of it this evening.

I thanked him, said goodbye, and hung up. I ate dinner, cleaned, and tidied up until I went to bed, hoping I'd finally get some sleep.

The next morning, I donned my uniform, hating what it represented. The Air Force hadn't been there for me when I needed it most, so why should I continue to owe allegiance to it?

I headed into the base. Instead of going into my office, I headed down to the Air Force Personnel Center. I was going to initiate the paperwork that General Travis had ordered to be prepared for me to resign from my commission. I was done.

***

Afterword: That's the story I intend to tell for now. While Virginia is the reason for this story being told, and there will be more stories involving her, I wish Bonnie's story didn't have to end here. She was a wonderful person and didn't deserve what happened to her. I wish I could have met her more than the one time I did. Unfortunately, that's life. I want to leave you with this homage to Bonnie. A link to the YouTube video is on my bio page if you want to listen to it.

Virginia's story continues in "Tomorrow is Promised."