Zero

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
NRMathis
NRMathis
442 Followers

One put them down again and stood in front of Zero.

It's not right of me to force you to live, just like it wasn't right for you to be forced to die. That's why I'm asking you this now, Zero. Given what your new life is, what you now know, and what you should expect in the future, do you choose to live on?

Zero smiled, almost laughed. Perhaps One didn't understand them as much as they first thought, though it might have just not understood how mortal minds in general, which made sense.

"One, thank you for being so concerned, but you don't have to worry. I'm choosing to live. That's what the past me would have wanted. That's what the people I've met as Zero would want." They glanced down at the two stones. "It's what my parents would want. But most of all, it's what I want."

They stood proudly.

"My name is Zero. I've been reborn and I want to live on!"

They hadn't intended to shout, but felt no shame in having done so.

One's body language made it look surprised. It was odd to think that Zero could show it something it didn't quite expect.

Very well then. Do you wish to live forever?

Zero was shocked and needed a moment to ponder the question.

"I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I'd want to die eventually."

I understand. As per your wishes, I'm leaving it up to you to decide when your new life will end. Live as long as you want, you'll stay as you are for this entire life. But when you're sure you want to die, come back here and call on me again.

They nodded. Making that choice seemed unthinkable, but they were happy the choice was ultimately theirs and no one else's.

I've told you all I intend to tell you. Is there anything else you wish to ask me before I leave?

Zero thought for a moment and something came to mind.

"Why did you name me Zero?"

One tilted its head.

I suppose it's because your life was starting over as a clean slate. You started from zero. Do you want to be named something else? You don't have to use the name I gave you.

They laughed and shook their head.

"No, I love my name. I was just curious."

Is that all you wanted to say?

"Well, if nothing else I think I should thank you again. You've given me a wonderful new life, and it was all because you saw what I was going through and wanted to help me. So thank you, One. I'll always be grateful for the second chance."

Zero felt One's aura heat up again. It must have liked hearing that.

Then I suppose this is where we part, at least for the time being.

"I guess it is. Goodbye for now, One."

Goodbye for now, Zero.

Just like that, it was like One was never even there. Once more, Zero was alone in the clearing.

Slowly but surely, their internal compass reawakened. Before long, their body was pointing them in a new direction.

It was pointing them to someone like Wyatt. Corrin. Gareth. Amari.

An opportunity to love and be loved like their past self could only dream of.

Whoever or whatever One truly was, it had given them a new life, and they would be a fool to let it go to waste.

Smiling and unafraid, Zero began their journey into the unknown.

They were going to live the life their past self, their parents, and all the people they now knew and loved would want them to live.

A life free from shame.

A life starting from zero.

NRMathis
NRMathis
442 Followers