All Comments on 'The Politics and Math of Lit Voting'

by Serafina1210

Sort by:
  • 73 Comments
DrmaxcDrmaxcover 9 years ago
Perceptive and educational

I really enjoyed reading this - though not in the usual way I enjoy stories on this site... Not a twinge in the nether regions - not one twinge at all. So is it a one star or a five?

PaperdartPaperdartover 9 years ago
Statistics made fun.

Nice essay that carried me along with it. I enjoyed it - I wonder if Literotica will consider using mode averages rather than median averaging on the strength of it?

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
10:04 GMT

94 views and 7 votes averaging 5.57 (three 4s and four 5s). No one-bomb yet.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Reviews and Essays??

I hardly if ever read anything in this category...had enough of that kind of thing in school! But let's start with the title...it drew me into reading your essay to see what you wrote. Now let's see what I thought about what you wrote...OH BOY a story about statistics...YAY!!! Problem is, I couldn't stop reading it - you scoundrel!!

I was interested in not only the information, but also how you presented it. Well written, in fact better written than some of those stories that get the little red H.

There'll be no 1 bombing from me on this one thankyouverymuch!

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
10:30 GMT

101 views. 9 votes averaging 4.67 (probably six 5s and three 4s). No one-bomb yet.

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
11:00 GMT

116 views. 13 votes averaging 4.69 (probably nine 5s and four 4s). No one-bomb yet.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good essay

I'm an actuary BTW

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
10:16 GMT

135 views. 18 votes averaging 4.44 (very likely twelve 5s, four 4s, one 3, and one 1). Our first one-bomb. Yay!

No offense intended to actual actuaries, of course. Fine people doing necessary work.

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
10:37 GMT

154 views. 19 votes averaging 4.42 (very likely twelve 5s, five 4s, one 3, and one 1).

Without the one vote, our average score would now be 4.61. I don't think I can track the vote anymore. It gets too uncertain after a while.

KnickersKnickersover 9 years ago
LOL

That's all I can say. :) Sorry to disappoint, but I dropped the 5 bomb instead. I'm a H whore too.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
just gave you a 5

Loved it. Great read first thing in the morning. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You put a smile on my face.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
5 out of 5

5 out of 5 from me. well written , funny and I now know where the "H" comes from. Thanks from Melbourne Australia

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
11:50 GMT

167 views. 22 votes averaging 4.50. The one-bomb was vote #17: it took us till vote #22 to get up to 4.50, where we qualify for a red H.

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
13:38 GMT

33 votes for a score of 4.58. Still no second one vote.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
So hot

I came three times, but stats always do that to me

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
would you rather

As a writer would you rather get a no vote than a one? My tendancy is to not vote if I don't like the story since it may just not be my fetish. But that deprives the writer of feedback. Since I'm not a writer your standing in hot doesn't impact me.

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
There are Lies....

...There are Damn Lies...And There are Statistics...Samuel Clemens.

I never have understood this craving for votes and approval. Maybe ten/fifteen years ago it made some sort of sense to figure out what the viewers wanted to consume.

But now the reader base is so huge and diverse, with hundreds of thousands of archived stories to screen. What's the point of worrying about popularity?

I mean, for my stories, there is only a small number of people willing and educated enough to slog through the word puzzles and language manipulation of my writing experiments. Since I make no effort to appeal to mass consumption, why should I care for the opinions of the mass audience?

I think it is just stupid to 'one-bomb' somebodies posting just cause I didn't enjoy it or was squicked-out by the subject matter or had a hate on for the author. Just go on to another author. There are plenty of them that work hard to write stories that appeal to their audience of stupid.

An example, there is an author whose fictional postings, I really abhor. So I do not read them. However her non-fiction postings are some of the finest and most thoughtful writings I have seen on Literotica. My choice from my opinions.

Scotsman69Scotsman69over 9 years ago
I disagree

with your assertion that stories seldom lose red Hs. At one time, about two-thirds of my stories had them, with some up in the 4.80s.

Then a couple of years ago, for no reason I can understand, almost all the red Hs disappeared. I now have three, and only just.

I wrote to the site about it and have yet to receive a response.

Scotsman69

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
"Would you rather"

An interesting question. If a writer wants to be read, the only vote that will help to draw in readers (because it helps to earn that H) is a 5. So Lit writers tend to dislike everything but 5s.

But we appreciate intelligent votes and comments. If you read a story about a consensual slave and vote 1 because ick! slavery! we think, why did you read this at all? But if you vote 1 because it was a really bad piece of storytelling, or the sexy bits fell flat, or you were just plain bored, and you leave a comment explaining that, we can appreciate it even if we don't like it.

Comments reveal people voting for all kinds of reasons. "Not my kink" is one. Some people downgrade for perceived grammar or spelling errors, as if they were grading high school essays. Some feel let down by an ending where people are less than completely happy. Some will bomb you if an adulteress is left unpunished. One or two people seem to object to whole categories and go up and down the list every day, one-bombing just about everything.

Some of these reasons are better than others.

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
fanfare and Scotsman69

Not all writers care about getting a readership: think about Emily Dickinson, publishing just a few odd pieces but otherwise showing her poems to just a few friends. But most writers want to be read, and here at Literotica one quickly learns that there's a relationship between reader votes and the number of people actually reading a piece. This essay is about getting carried away, as some people do.

Scotsman69--that's a strange story. Of course I can't deny that it can happen. It sounds as if someone took a dislike to your stuff and managed to bomb it in a way that Lit's algorithms failed to detect.

That can surely happen. Right now, for example, some puckish reader, presumably inspired by this essay, has one-bombed several of my recent stories.

Oh, the humanity!

bgmisfunbgmisfunover 9 years ago
I thought I was the only one who uses Excel to track the votes!

Well done. Correctly depicts the vanity of some of the writers here. (Not me, but I know someone who knows someone who thinks like that ...).

In any event, votes and comments mean something. At least it shows people bother spending time reading your free stuff.

seekerazseekerazover 9 years ago
Up until I bailed out of the rating system....

because it doesn't reflect quality, I would 1-bomb willing cuckold stories because I don't believe that they should be in LW but should have a hub all of their own. (I certainly won't read them in the same way that I don't read incest, gay, or rape stories. They are not my thing)

It enrages me to spend time reading a LW story only to find the sick fuck husband wanking off watching the action or eating the other guy's cum. Those who disclaimed at the top of the story didn't get the 1-bomb.

Some time ago, I opted out of the rating system because it is so arbitrary and politcal. I will comment on some cuck stories but not vote.

Thanks for this insightful essay.

swingerjoeswingerjoeover 9 years ago
Interesting and entertaining

I enjoyed reading this. It was a nice break from the usual monotonous storyline on Lit.

I made the decision a while ago to turn off the ratings for most of my stories (the ones in the Loving Wives section) as a form of protest. I've found that many readers use the ratings system as a weapon to advance their agenda, regardless of the quality of the story or the writing. In the LW section, that agenda is primarily to denigrate any author who writes a story where the wife doesn't end up dead, divorced or horribly mutilated. Because of this, the ratings in that section have lost all purpose and meaning.

I once had several red H's to my credit. Then I made a comment on a story that someone apparently didn't like, and in an amazing coincidence, the ratings for every one of my stories instantly dropped, and my red H's disappeared!

I don't care about the ratings whatsoever, so it was no great sacrifice on my end to turn off that feature. I enjoy the comments and feedback, and I've found that after turning off the ratings, I seem to get more comments.

It goes without saying that those of us who write do so because we enjoy writing. Those who say they don't care if anyone reads or enjoys their stories are fooling themselves. If that were true, they wouldn't have posted their stories on a public website!

HeyAllHeyAllover 9 years ago
Funny read

Thanks for writing.

5 stars

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Back in the Olde Days

The vote and the comment were shown. Some people say it was an excellent story and give it a four. The problem is how do you establish a criteria for voting . Personally I would expect an equal distribution of 5's and 1's. But the distribution is quite skew. For example if I hit a theme that I do not like or think that is badly written I will quit reading and not vote. If I can tell that I will not like a story I will not start it. But I will not vote if I did read the whole story. The result is that my votes tend to be high. The only useful aspect in ratings is that they attract your attention to other stories that you will want to read.There is no time to read them all!

.

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
19:26 GMT

511 views, and 60 votes for an average of 4.50. The voting rate is very high, one vote for every 8.33 reads, but then you expect that for an essay about voting.

I haven't been able to track precisely since early on, but I believe we've had at least three one-bombs so far.

I thought maybe we'd have one or two comments from one-voters, like "I one-bombed you because you asked me to haha" (and it's okay--I did ask) or "you wasted five minutes of my life" or something. Folks, since I invited one-bombs, it's okay to comment!

Lots of thought-provoking comments. Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
Interesting

I just did a survey of my Lit stories and found that quite a number of them were one-bombed today, after slumbering unmolested in the archives for months. I can't think why!

Honestly, I thought this essay would be read as mildly interesting but inoffensive. It didn't occur to me that it would cut close to the bone for some people. Readers offended by "Politics and Math" are earnestly invited to leave a comment.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyover 9 years ago
Try Loving wives!

In this category, we have trolls who vote base on the morality of the characters, and confuse what the characters do with the proclivities of the author. Any stray from the orthodoxy is offensive to some.

Actually, I find the score increases over time. Also looking at the top vote scores they tend to be multi part stories, so the folks who don't like them stop reading them, self selecting themselves from the vote score.

Personally I'm more impressed by thenumber of readers. 100,000 is a lot of people who enjoyed the writings of a U Mass engineer.

Chilley

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
I know Loving Wives ...

fairly well. I don't count the one votes I've gotten there as one-bombs, because they are true expressions of the readers' opinions, not strategic votes. I am writing about something altogether different.

AverageBearAverageBearover 9 years ago
The Golden Rule applies here...

The thrill of posting on Lit as an author gives me a rush like few others. I write because I love writing, but once I'm happy with what I've written, I want to know what others think. It's not simply a lust for praise (though that's great, too!). Sometimes my most useful feedback received has been constructive criticism that helps make me a better writer.

I'm looking for commenters (or even private emails) more than voters. But I, too, love the red H's because I know they will attract more readers (and thus commenters and emailers). However, I've never, and never will, 1-bomb another author out of some misguided desire to direct readers away from his or her story. Hence the title of my comment - the Golden Rule, or a facsimile thereof, applies here. I wouldn't do to other authors what I wouldn't want done to me.

So, I didn't 1-bomb your essay. I gave it a deserved 5 stars. You're right that for purposes of the red H and thus drawing more readers, only a 5-star vote helps. Your essay deserves to be read. It's well-written, witty and shows readers a view inside the mind of the writer as few offerings I've seen on this site have done.

A couple of the commenters have noted the idiosyncrasies of the Loving Wives category. I have written across a wide array of categories, and have noted a distinct difference in reader feedback within the LW category. LW is both a blessing and a curse for me as an author. On the one hand, it draws by far more reader feedback than any other category, even WITHOUT the beloved red H. On the other hand, the feedback is extremely volatile, with a high proportion of the comments being about the morality of the characters (and sometimes the author!) rather than the quality of the writing. That seems to be fairly unique to LW.

AverageBearAverageBearover 9 years ago
P.S.

P.S. I just saw Chilley Willey's comment, posted while I was writing my lengthy original comment and experiencing connectivity difficulties. Looks like he and I are on the same page about the idiosyncratic nature of many of the comments coming out of the LW category. The voting scores there are also typically much lower than for other categories. If I were seeking red H's for validation rather than as a means to generate readership and genuine feedback, I'd probably permanently stay away from the LW category. But I'd rather receive the readership and feedback that LW generates, at least when I have a creative story idea that reasonably fits into that category.

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
thank you for the look behind the curtain

and a bit of insight from the perspective of a writer.

It is equally informative to read the responses. those from other authors are particularly clarifying to me.

again, thank you.

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
while on a campaign for clarity

may I ask a question?

I just looked at your submissions (no BDSM humour intended) and noticed that some appear to be duplicates. I have seen that before with other authors. How/Why does that happen?

just curious

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
rightbank

When you submit a revision, both the old and the new versions appear in the authorial submissions list. Probably a minor Lit bug.

MajorRewriteMajorRewriteover 9 years ago
Amusing

About LW voting: I just submitted a Loving Wives story and I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction it gets in that wild category when it goes live. Wacko comments are always amusing.

My story isn't "BTB" but it also doesn't include willing cucks nor creampie eating. It may confuse the heck out of everyone.

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
Major:

If it isn't cuck, BTB or RAAC, you may have discovered the formula for peace in LW. I'll watch for your story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
i'm just doing as ordered

"I one-bombed you because you asked me to haha"

---

but one bomb your other stories? Seriously, that's twisted.

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
Yup

Cost me three little red H's today. I haz the sadz.

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
A shout-out

to Laurel and Manu and the way they police the voting on this site. Any author who visits, or anyone who has been following my tracking of the vote on this essay, will know immediately what I'm taking about.

Literotica rocks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I wish I had read this yesterday....

Oh Sera, you are trying to manipulate people into feeling manipulated! LOL!

:)

Never been a writer, so the pages where you can track feedback outcomes for posted stories are unfamiliar to me. But the obsessive/compulsive way in which you described the author checking his progress was comically reflected in your comments section. So how auto-bio was this? How many nam-de-plumes do you use? Frankly, your essay works so well, because any reader can totally imagine an author going through this described angst after posting. We who devour stories and comments have experienced all too often the effects of thin-skin when comments and voting scores are discussed.

If your work here has any positive outcome, that will be to get readers (and other writers who are ALSO readers), to think twice before voting, and consider the longer reaching consequences of 'political voting'- like one bombs, or retalitory 5 bombs. How is the voting algorithm at dealing with straight 3s????

One thing left off in your discussion (including so far only day one comments) is the propensity for authors to DELETE offensive comments. I think you have to factor in people who vote negativly as a response to that percieved censorship. I have found that as an anon, I can only comment once. But I can vote every time I open the story. Here too, is another factor:

I might open a story many times to see if there is a reaction to a comment I wrote. After enough time has passed, my comment can't be found on the comments spinner, and I have to open the story again to see what has transpired since my comment was made. These re-VIEWS don't actually comprise new readers giving your story a chance. So if your story has 200 views, how many times was it actually reopened from the same IP address, and how many of those views count as new readers? I honestly don't know how an author could track this without a change in Lit's tracking system.

But then we get to the meat of the matter. Although this is posted in R/E, and you 'character' has posted in Fetish, what we are ACTUALLY talking about is LW.

One side affect I have observed in the war over LW comments over the last year, is that many readers seem to be more willing to seek out other categories for reading. More authors seem to be embracing the challenge to write for multiple categories. And so, one story in one category may lead a reader to "find" other stories in other categories. Somehow LW stays a wierd place, but it seems that other categories WILL help an author get (may be?) a truer sense of audience feedback? I don't know, is it true? Because this story gives one the impression that voting scores are skewed site-wide, and it isn't just voting in LW that seems broken. Hmmmmm.....

It was sad to me because in THIS VERY CATEGORY, Avgblkgrl wrote a GREAT story about LAZINESS in writing AND reading, and it only got 4 comments. The score seems to reflect that many more read it, but WHATEVER the sitch, because of this category, it didn't SEEM to be as popular as it should have been. A shame really. For better or worse, I still feel that (like Swingerjoe) the comments (ALL of the comments- good AND bad), are STILL the best gauge of actual reader response. Authors need to remember that it is just as easy to NOT comment at all, and many don't. So even someone who took the time to say "It SUCKS!" might not be contributing anything constructively to your ego and/or writing process, what thay ARE doing is making that number of comments go up. It doesn't take an algorythm to decipher that. The more people who comment, solidly reflect the more people who were actively involved with your story. Period.

When a story has 150 comments in 3 days, you know that MOST of the readership of this site has given that story a chance. Check out how many were positive, or negative, or thoughtful, or ignorant, for yourself and evaluate accordingly. But, not too many stories enjoy that much of a response. And it NEVER seems to happen in any other category besides LW. So say what you will about those trolls, at least they come here everyday to TRY to read something.

And as an author at a free site, where you really looking for too much more than that?

Thanks Sera, for your contributions. I always try to say that. Now, after reading my comment, can you guess how I voted for your story?

(hee hee hee)

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
Thoughtful Anonymous . . .

Thanks for that thoughtful comment, a worthwhile essay all by itself.

First of all, this essay was NOT about Loving Wives. I had some dealings with that category many moons ago, and I came away bruised but respectful. I got lots of one votes there, but they were from people who hated my story, not people who were voting for strategic reasons, which is what I'm talking about here. A Loving Wife onevote is usually a sincere vote, and it has value.

Good question, how much of myself is in this. There's some of me in both sides of this essay. I've never one-bombed anything, and I tend to leave high votes, if only because I never get to the end of things I don't like. But like BJJustAskGrrl, I do look carefully at the progress of the vote on a new story, at least until it's time to go to work. (This time I was more attentive than usual because I wanted to illustrate what I was talking about by "live-blogging" the vote--I think that worked pretty well.) I've also felt a slight pang of disappointment when by chance I've posted on the same day as someone I know to be super popular. Like RaunchyMynxInDallas, I've often had my H's one-bombed away in early voting (to return later), and I once had a story bombed out of the "Hall of Fame," where it was getting tons of reads well past its sell-by date.

Laurel and Manu seem to have a number of methods for detecting strategic or insincere votes. They don't tell us what they are, beyond detecting duplicate votes, and that makes sense. If you know the methods, you can figure out how to work around them.

On votes vs. comments: Some Lit authors maintain that votes or comments or both are worthless. I value them both, and emails from readers too. Lit gives authors the ability to moderate their own comments, and they do that in various ways, as you might expect. Many never delete a comment. A few delete anything negative. The Lit administrators keep an eye on things and delete anything that's threatening or out and out abusive. Most of my stories attract one particular Anonymous commenter who leaves abuse that shows no acquaintance with the story. My policy is to delete anything that doesn't actually comment on the story, so those usually go. (That person has not shown up here, though--yet!)

Numbers of votes and comments are a good measure of the intensity of reader response. By that measure, LW readers are amazingly passionate. Gotta love 'em for that, even though a mob of them beat the stuffing out of me, back in the day.

Finally, no, I can't guess your vote. But I thank you for it, whatever it was!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
The readers point of view

I understand a writers need for feedback. But let me give you some insight on a readers perspective.

1. I will pick a story that I think will be interesting. Granted, diferent strokes for different folks. So, if the story is something that I do not like, appears to be a true work of fiction or just plain boring, I just exit out of the story and do not vote.

2. One of the first things I do is to check on the length of a story. If it is under 3 pages I will start to read the story. 4-5 pages a questionable read. Over 5 pages no dice. However, a story from TryAnything is a guaranteed read.

3. If I like a story meaning 3-5 stars I will vote on it. If it is so so I probably not vote. If it is really lame or poorly written I will vote 1 star.

But I am only one of the many literotica readers. The authors have to make the story plausible. I hate getting into a story and having it turn into pure BS this story does not deserve a vote.

Well this is my take on Lits stories. It's up to the authors to put out a quality product if they want votes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Reader view

I have four favorite categories and another five I check intermittently. The rest I know I don't care for so I don't go there. I give feedback and votes and try to be constructive about what worked or didn't for me. I think it is the best way to improve the chances of more stories I like.

I try to vote according to the quality of the writing. I sometimes vote higher on weak writing when the story is strong or different. That said, the stars do say liked it/hated it. Sometimes the gut reaction over rides the thoughtful response of well that's not my kink. My finger may find itself slamming the 1 repeatedly in the vain hope a few extras might slip through. When does this happen? When an author blatantly mis-categorizes, poorly tags, or pulls a clear bait and switch within the story in the attempt to be clever. I have given 1's specifically to reduce the score on a story in the hopes of reducing future reads. To me it is much like sharing my horrible dinner experience at a restaurant with anyone who mentions the place.

Have I ever voted down a story specifically to reduce its ranking? Yes, I have. Not often and not blindly across an author's works. But if I strongly believe that story A is better than story B, yet B sits higher and I have that empty ballot, it is high school all over again.

Serafina1210Serafina1210over 9 years agoAuthor
Interesting reader views

I never considered the possibility that readers might cast one-votes to warn other readers away. I'd say it's still expressing your view when you do that, and so within the rules of the game (assuming there are any). I'd prefer that no one, readers or authors, attempt to manipulate a story's score, trying to override the judgment of the collective readership--but that's an author's point of view.

I can't help wondering, now, how often I've benefited when someone has one-bombed a story I've shared a hub with.

smy3thsmy3thover 9 years ago
Don't try making sense of Lit voting

Face it: You are writing for an audience of crazies and perverts (I'm exaggerating, but still . . .). I tried to make sense of Lit voting, and how the admins try to correct it by manipulating it. You'll just go crazy thinking about it. There is a vague general correlation between score and quality, but in the area between 4 and 5, fughedaboutit. Your speculations are an interesting attempt to rationalize the irrational, but no cigar. Attributing the irrationality to jealous competitors is probably not the answer. It's more likely about the crazed lurkers. The fellow authors are probably more invested in hoping for a fair and honest system.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
As an extremely casual and ignorant reader,

This is both informative and funny. I love your writing style in general though. Over the past few months I've read all your fics here, and your writing has managed to make me able to read about fics with things I otherwise would find too disgusting (scat), without getting snapped out of the story world. I'm greatly looking forward to your future fics, and I guess I should cave in and get an account just so I can upvote your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Yes, but WHY???????

Your essay is on the money, but feeds into the basest instincts of the readers. Instead of voting your conscience and what you feel will reflect the true worth of the story, you suggest, for most of your essay, a strategic, manipulative method for bringing one's own story's score up at the expense of other authors' stories' scores. What a mean-spirited, spiteful thing to do! And whatever for? As you well noted, it only works for a limited amount of time for those authors who have large readerships anyway - their score numbers will eventually outrun the 1-bombs. But it WILL work to keep down the work of new authors, who are discovered by chance and rewarded over a much longer period of time. Why do that????????? So I did the logical thing - I 1-bombed your essay. Do better. Obviously, you can!!

Serafina1210Serafina1210about 9 years agoAuthor
Latest anonymous . . .

Could you really be so great an idiot as to think that I'm advocating the behavior I describe? I suppose you are, since you did actually one-bomb this essay. Either that or a troll.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Oh I wish I could find this funny

I'm just too damn sensitive to post on this site.

As a female with a real vagina and the ovaries and hormones to go with it, I wonder why I subject myself to the abuse I have endured. Fortunately, I get a lot of positive feedback too, but the one-star bombs are a drag. They don't have much impact due to the number of over all votes, but it makes me lose faith in humanity that people can be so spiteful. Fuck...I think I'll go listen to a Taylor Swift song and keep writing. (anonymous only because I am dealing with trolls myself - this essay gets 4 stars, because that is my honest opinion. I'd give it 4.5 if I had the option. I've never voted 1 star because if a story is that bad, why waste time reading it?)

MissPrimMissPrimabout 9 years ago
Shit happens

Yeah, people will 1 bomb a story, but does it matter? People do seem to do it out of spite. (meow!) If you are any kind of writer at all and you keep the stories coming, you'll keep your readers happy.

The only reason I care about the voting at all is to gauge audience reaction. I tend to write long series (15 or more chapters) and watching the voting to the different situations I put the characters in is very interesting. Surprisingly, chapters without sex can do just as well with chapters with sex, if it is interesting enough. It's been an education as what readers like, and for that I'm grateful.

In the meantime, it's best, like you seem to do, not to take the voting too seriously.

Thanks for this piece!

Serafina1210Serafina1210about 9 years agoAuthor
Thanks, Miss Prism

Always great to hear from another Oscar Wilde fan!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
well written and thought provoking

This is a nice overview of the realities of the voting process on Lit. I particularly enjoyed the wry humor interspersed with the harsh realities. This author clearly knows how to write, and does so in an entertaining and provocative fashion. If this author isn't already writing commercially for profit, he/she should clearly start doing so. This is as good, or better, than many magazine articles. Very, very nice work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Meaning of Stars - a digression

I think part of the issue is the "hover text" that appears over the stars. I thought that 3 stars meant "average", but the hover text states "Liked It - Keep on Writing". Since 1 star means "I hated it!" and 5 stars means "Loved It - One of the best!" I think that those votes would be the most infrequent (since statistically, most people tend near the middle of a bell curve). I vote 5 stars infrequently (for me, 5 stars means an outstanding masterpiece) and 1 star even less so (find it difficult to hate stories, and if I don't like the content, I just don't read it). So when I read a story that's "OK", that I neither like or dislike, I typically don't vote, as there's no star that covers that feeling.

But that being said, thanks Serafina1210, you bring up an interesting point (that most readers wouldn't think about) and you did an excellent job of explaining yourself. So in this case, I'll depart from the middle of the bell curve and vote (and no, I didn't vote 1 star).

MorionMorionabout 9 years ago
Bah!

Totally unrealistic scenario and no sex. 1!

:P

Serafina1210Serafina1210about 9 years agoAuthor
Morion ...

I like your style!

OverthefallsOverthefallsabout 9 years ago
Perhaps a better understanding of statistics would help.

And I'm not sure anyone understands the way voting works. A few have figured out a way to bypass the one person, one vote factor and vote numerous times on a single story. (Hello computer nerds and hackers). I also think that different sections achieve a higher (or lower) number of votes and comments. I don't think anyone reads every story in every category. Therefore it would be difficult to quantify any particular stories responses. Since most authors profess to write for their own satisfaction, it always amazes me when they pay any attention to the voting or the comments. Since it's also been shown that a huge percentage (more statistics for you) of people neither vote or comment one would naturally wonder how the voices of the minority should adversely effect the authors? Maybe voting and comments should not be allowed? Who knows.

OldmarriedtarOldmarriedtaralmost 9 years ago
Thankyou, Thankyou, THANKYOU.

You write for your own satisfaction; you post for EGO. If you really want to dilute the "1" bomb start an Erotic Writing class. Brainwash your students into voting the way you want otherwise don't worry about it. Most are saying that they did not like your story for what ever reason. Contrary to popular belief, people NEVER do anything without a reason. Yes I'm including those that are drunk, high on drugs and those that are depressed or all the above.

Comments? I read a story that had about 15 comments 14 of which were nothing but platitudes (garbage, they don't say anything). One just said "die" which made it the only constructive comment listed. I would scan the comments, delete the platitudes and those made by trolls and if it has something to say, pro or con, keep it.

What has happened to craftsmanship. You take the time to construct a good story, you respect your readers so you take the time to do a good job of editing then let it stand on it own merits. Who are you writing for. I think I would be most interested in those vote and comments that came after the story left the hub i.e. standing the test of time, also being more honest and constructive. But I guess that underlines the real reason you wrote the story.

What do you mean you didn't understand the statistics used. You all can add, subtract, multiply and divide without using a smart phone can't you. It was not that difficult to reason out. I do believe that "smartphones"? are making homo sapiens stupider and stupider along with being lazier and lazier. I can remember a time when just admitting that you did not know would get you fired not because you did not know but because you admitted it and suggesting that you were to lazy to look it up.

If you are really writing for your own enjoyment then who cares what the votes avg. out to or what the comments say.

OldmarriedtarOldmarriedtarover 8 years ago
Of course

If you are truly interested in higher scores, try no spelling errors, no grammatical errors and no punctuation errors.

KethandraKethandraabout 8 years ago
Dammit Morion

I enjoyed this piece and had a really pithy and amusing comment to add. Then I read Morion's comment below. He's like the RaunchyMynxInDallas of comments: what's the point of trying for humor after he's posted?

AMoveableBeastAMoveableBeastalmost 8 years ago

Wow, great story! But what happened to the real-time vote update?! Please tell us you're going to write a sequel! I wanna know what happens!!

Serafina1210Serafina1210almost 8 years agoAuthor
Hey, Beastie!

In the sequel, dozens of rage-bots bomb the shit out of "The Politics and Math of Lit Voting," and yet it goes on to win the category in the year-end awesome-story contest with FOUR VOTES!

Watch for it on HBO.

GigglingGoblinGigglingGoblinalmost 8 years ago
Witty Analysis

I'd like to believe that this is the case, but I feel like it's just as often a cushion assumption for a fragile writer's ego. And that's me speaking as a pretty low-key writer who would probably feel a lot better if she did buy into this.

But no, I'm sure it's all baloney. There's no conspiracy, there are no insecure writers trashing other works just to—WHAT?! This essay beat MINE for People's Choice? This . . . crude, this VULGAR piece of wish fulfillment trash! I'm gonna one-bomb this sucker into the ground! Teach YOU to try to teach ME!

(Seriously, though, what's the secret? I feel like I'm not playing this game right. XD)

GigglingGoblinGigglingGoblinalmost 8 years ago

Oh, and I just realized that I got so caught up in the joke, and in my own thinly-veiled befuddlement with why a writer who uploads at roughly three times my speed and with more consistent high ratings should somehow have more followers than me*, that I forgot to—shoot, I'm doing it again. Anyways, I liked this essay! It nailed down some good points and backed them up with math. And there was good use of humor to keep the casual reader interested.

5/5!Or it would be, if I weren't currently trying to one-bomb this story without actually understanding how the site works well enough to do so with any real effectiveness. Boy, long sentences tonight, huh? I gather my sentences get long when I'm trying to seem smart. Goblin is feeling threatened. Goblin's hackles are up. Damn it, I didn't even know there WAS a People's Choice Award and now I'm griping about it.

:P

*It's a mystery, is all I can say.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Here, have a five!

I tend to place more stock in comments (if written in intelligible English) and e-mails than I do in scores.

Yeah, sure I do. One-bomb ME, willya?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

Time spent reading, writing, and listening is never wasted. Good read or bad read doesn't matter much. Reading in itself is peace. Art in itself is perfect.

Serafina1210Serafina1210almost 8 years agoAuthor
More thanks

Thanks to erotichajj, GigglingGoblin, and the latest Anonymous for these excellent comments. It's absolutely true, Anon: reading is its own reward. And everyone should run over and read the Goblin's essay on Sexualizing Rape. It's excellent, and it totally deserved to win this category (in which the voting was in essence a coin flip).

patilliepatillieover 7 years ago
Good essay

on a subject I did not know a lot about. Cant one bomb you like you wanted; did like the live blogging commentary from you on your score.

I typically only read LW, so I dont know anything except other categories have higher rated stories, You get a 4.75 in LW for a story 4 yrs old and you are a rock star, and an excellent writer, and made the majority of readers "feel" something thru your tale. A 4.75 in romance is not the same quality. A 4,75 in incest or interracial is way down from the 4.75 in LW in terms of quality of the writing, it is more of a stroke fest fueled by cliches.

I like that the site polices the scoring, although I have seen some strange things (a writer or two with lots of red "H" that are, oh so so).

Speaking for LW only, There is a definite difference in scoring in late 90's, early 2000's vs scoring since 2008. I think a lot of it has to do wiht the divisiveness of the presidential election, that absolute hate that 40% have for the president we have and his policies; and the 2008 financial crisis that led to a stagnant economy that has never fully recovered. The comments and hate take on a political tone. Ok great job, I wish I had given you a 5 now instead of the four. You got me to write a lot more than I normally do.

patilliepatillieover 7 years ago
Oh and btw

I only clicked on this story cause of the blue "W" and the red "H" and the title intrigued me. I can prob count on one hand the number of essays I have read.

readyforprimetimereadyforprimetimeabout 7 years ago
You made me laugh

Your essay is great. For the record I do not one bomb other authors nor am I a balding actuary in Hartford (maybe two of three?).

Well done.

TatankaBillTatankaBillalmost 6 years ago
NOT an actuary!

Nope, not an actuary and I try to avoid them. In fact I shy away from all but the simplest mathematics. Fibonacci numbers interest me up to about thirteen and then my eyes begin to droop, my head clouds up and I start daydreaming about women. But I've observed the same behavior in myself, blogging and then babysitting that blog post to see how it's being treated by the cruel and fickle public. Lots of bloggers and writers claim that they write for themselves and don't care what anyone else thinks. I don't see much point in calling them on this, but I don't believe it for a minute. If I wrote for myself alone and didn't care what readers or other writers think, I'd put it in a private journal and it'd never see the light of day. Hell yes I care.

I read stories on Lit for a long time before I decided to try my own hand at fiction. There began to be some appeal to the idea of becoming a purveyor of smut. I did notice the special rancor that is elicited from readers by a story about a woman who is less than pure and faithful. Too bad! That's a fascinating topic for me. I also noticed that such tales evoke a visceral hatred that's reflected in the comments. I don't see that as different from what happens on political posts or posts about social movements like 'Me too'. I do not see any such comments as particularly sincere. The language used in comments in Loving Wives is identical to what you'll find among white supremacists and the more vicious misogynists. I've come to believe that troglodyte trolls lie in wait for the chance to pounce on what they call 'cuck shit' and one bomb it. I'm sure some of the trolls genuinely think that western civilization is being brought to its knees by males who permissively allow 'their women' to monitor their own sexual behavior. It's a sad day for sure when adults can fuck whoever they want to. I've already said too much about the LW category, since as you mentioned your post is not centered on behavior there.

I think it's the nature of writers to want to have their work appreciated, in spite of all protestations to the contrary. It hurts to submit what you are certain is a clever and entertaining piece- not to mention wankworthy- only to watch the apes throw feces at it. Just as many writers explain in a preface that their work is one of fiction or fantasy and warn the reader not to get his panties in a wad over it, the writer must also realize that this is now the internet age and you just can't take the criticism to heart. The critics can be vile, but seriously, do I care much for the opinion of a fat forty six year old living in Mom's cellar subsisting entirely on Hot Pockets and Mountain Dew, cloaked in a Cheeto encrusted Metallica shirt and parachute shorts? No.

More than one writer has told me that Literotica is changing, and not for the better. This isn't Literotica's fault. The internet is changing. The barbarians have stormed the bastions of free speech and are rendering it worthless. People are talking about living in a 'post truth' world. It can be really hard for any writer who values truth in any personal and artistic sense to remain centered in the chaos and anarchy of the mob.

Sorry! I began channeling Leon Trotsky there at the end. What I meant to say was: I loved your essay and it I saw myself in it. It's funny, insightful and true.

luedonluedonalmost 6 years ago
Wow, T.Bill

That was a thesis in itself, and a well-thought-out one.

There is, of course, some difference in the motivations of authors, readers, voters and commenters in the different categories of story on the Literotica site.

I have for some time been especially interested in the Loving Wives commentariat, which I see as very different from those who read, vote and comment on stories in other categories.

A reader of a Romance story (my favourite category) will read the story and judge it according to how well the author has structured and written the story, how well the erotic elements are described, and so on. They come looking for romance, and romance is generally what they find.

But readers of Loving Wives stories form several camps. The clearest division is between the Consequences crowd and the Reconciliation tribe. A reader who believes that a wandering wife should suffer consequences of her infidelity will often one-bomb a story in which she 'gets away with it'. Other readers will one-bomb a story in which the consequences are violent.

Many LW voters and commenters judge a story by whether the characters are doing what the reader wants them to rather than by how well the author achieves what he or she set out to achieve. That is not the case in other categories because there is not this division.

Twistedsickmind's Humour & Satire story 'The One Bomber' remains my favourite spoof on those who vote down a story for reasons other than how well it is written.

Lue

lc69hunterlc69hunteralmost 2 years ago

Nice. The discussion about the LW category is so spot on. What frustrates me about that is that many, if not most of the consequences voting 1's are afraid to show their names, so that we can go shame them on whatever category their fetish is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very well written and so TRUE !

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous