From Heaven... Ch. 02

Story Info
Ria's true nature is revealed.
3k words
4.65
10.7k
2

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 12/01/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
soroborn
soroborn
107 Followers

We watched the chicks being fed for a few minutes, then Tim said, "Let's walk a little further up the canyon. We might see the other bird of the pair hunting."

We set off, Tim pointing out various features and interesting plants as we walked.

"Up ahead a little way there's a place where crows roost," pointed Tim.

I looked, seeing the black shapes among the dusty leaves. Suddenly, all at once the birds took flight, beating their wings strongly and vanishing towards the west.

Tim frowned. "That's unusual. I didn't hear a shot, and we're too far away for us to have disturbed them."

As he spoke, I felt a tremor beneath my feet, then the shaking became stronger. I saw momentary panic in Tim's face, then he said, "Quick – we need to shelter in the lea of that boulder."

He moved towards the rock, but before he could reach it, there was a cracking, splitting sound and a section of the canyon face directly above us started to detach. Without a moment's thought, I sprang towards Tim and wrapped my arms around him, my hands shielding his head. I felt the first impact, then a rain of rock striking me, being deflected. I sank to my knees, pillowing Tim's head closer into me as the torrent continued.

Finally the rockfall subsided, and I released my hold on Tim, stepping back. I shook dust from my hair, and looked anxiously to see if he was all right. As my eyes met his face, he scrambled backwards, away from me, his face a mask of shock and fear.

"Who – what? – are you?" he gasped, stretching out one arm as if to push me away.

"Don't be afraid," I said, reaching out both hands, palms upward.

He was silent for a moment, then seemed to draw in on himself, wrapping his arms round his body. I sensed that the earthquake, and the falling rocks, and the shock of my intervention, were close to overwhelming his mind.

I knelt again, my hands still outstretched. "It's OK," I said softly.

He looked up, and this time hope was mixed with the fear and confusion in his eyes. I moved slowly across the fallen rocks towards him, and when I was close enough, I reached out to take his hand.

"It's OK," I repeated.

He held my hand for long moments, then took a deep breath, exhaling slowly.

"Can you explain?" he asked.

I nodded. "But let's get you home first – you have a few scratches, and you're covered in dust."

We picked our way out of the canyon, and back to the car.

"Are you OK to drive?" I asked. "It's not a skill I've mastered yet."

Tim looked baffled again. "That explanation had better not be long in coming, once we're home."

He started the car, driving slowly back to the house. When we arrived, I said, "How about you have a shower – call me if you need anything."

Tim climbed the stairs, and shortly I heard the sound of running water. I went into the kitchen, and reached into my memory to find the steps he'd followed in making our meal the day I'd arrived.

When Tim returned, I was carefully stirring a pan of sauce. "How do you feel?" I asked.

"Much better," came the reply. "None of the scratches are still bleeding."

He sat down at the table, and I put a plate in front of him. "I hope I got it right."

"Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you're not eating," he said.

I nodded. "I've really enjoyed all our meals, but actually it's not something I need."

He started to eat. "This is very good – tastes just like when I do it."

I smiled. "I followed all the steps exactly."

Tim looked up at me, his face showing a trace of the overwhelmed look he'd worn in the canyon. "Please – tell me what's going on?"

I sat opposite him, resting my hands on the table. "Pretty simple really. I've been... well, sent, shall we say. To help you."

He nodded slowly. "You seem to be doing pretty well so far – you've already saved my life once."

I smiled. "That'd be twice, actually. If I didn't know you better, I'd think you were accident-prone."

He looked up. "Twice?"

"That speeding truck?" I prompted.

"But you weren't even..." his voice trailed off. He shook his head. "Perhaps you'd better tell me exactly what you're capable of, apart from having rocks drop on you."

I hesitated. "I'll tell you some of the main things – I'm not sure you're ready for all of it."

He smiled wryly. "Well, you'll have to be the judge of that."

"So," I began. "I can't be harmed physically. Ah, invisibility, and I can walk through solid objects." I pulled out the key he'd left for me. "You can put this back in the drawer."

A glimmer of amusement crossed his face. "You'd better hang on to it if you're staying – I can think of times when it'll make more sense for you to come in the conventional way. What else?"

I hesitated again. "Fly."

"Now that I'd like to see," he said. "What, you just twitch your nose, or tap your heels together or something, and float into the air?"

I gave him a puzzled look. "No... Like the birds we saw today – wings."

He shook his head again. "If I didn't know what I'd already seen, this is the point where I'd definitely call a shrink." He tilted his head from side to side. "Ria, I don't... see any wings?"

"They stretch out when I need them," I said.

"OK," he said, nodding slowly. "I think you were right, that's about as much as I can deal with right now."

He thought for a moment. "So can we go back to the 'why' – did you know I was going to be in danger?"

"Not exactly – but there's always a purpose when one of us is sent."

He raised his eyebrows. "I suppose I should have realised it wasn't just you. When you say, sent?"

"I'm not really supposed to talk about that part – it's too hard to explain why we come to some people and not to others."

"OK. So do you know what'll happen next?"

I shook my head. "I can see more of what's happening than you can, just because of my abilities, and I can know what's in people's minds, but the future, no. I have to do my best, and trust, the same as you do."

"Hang on – you can see what's in people's minds? You mean mine too?"

I met his gaze. "Only if I choose to, and there has to be a reason."

He relaxed slightly. "Well, be careful. You'd probably be shocked by some of the things in my private thoughts – I'm only human."

I reached out my hand to his. "'And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth.'"

He looked puzzled. "That sounds familiar somehow."

"Anyway," I continued, "you can be sure I won't pry. Now, hadn't you better finish eating?"

He concentrated on his food, and soon the plate was empty. He sat back with a sigh. "That was good – well done."

"Would you like a drink?" I asked. "It seems to relax you."

"If you have one too," he said.

I nodded. "It does feel a little strange, though."

We walked through to the lounge, and Tim poured us both a drink, this time from a glass decanter.

I sipped hesitantly. "Gosh, this seems stronger than the wine."

He grinned. "Yes – don't swallow it all at once."

I sat down in my usual chair, and Tim settled into the sofa opposite.

"Do you know how long you'll stay?" he asked after a moment. "Will you get a – I was going to say, phone call, to say I don't need you any more?"

I shook my head. "I told the truth about how you and I first met – I really was sent to help Sally for a short while. I think she saw me as a sort of imaginary friend, who listened to her and stayed with her when she cried."

Tim looked close to tears himself. "I wish I'd been more aware of your presence," he said.

I nodded. "It doesn't always work that way." He thought for a moment. "So how long did you stay that time?"

"About six months."

"And you've been, well, wherever you go, for ten years since then?"

I hesitated. "Time doesn't quite work the same when I'm not here."

He sipped his drink thoughtfully, his thoughts diverted from exactly how long I might be with him.

"So what shall we do tomorrow?" I asked.

"Do you..." He stopped himself. "Usually I'd go to church."

"Then we'll go," I said. "I can just be an old friend of your daughter's who's in town for a while, you're putting me up."

He grinned. "It'll be a battle to keep from telling them just a little of how special you are."

I returned his smile. "But no-one would believe you if you told them – I'm certainly not going to show off, unless the church roof falls in – and then who'd be calling the shrink?"

He shook his head. "There may be a lot you don't know, but you're smart."

"Why, thank you," I grinned.

He stretched. "Well, I'm ready for some sleep." He paused. "At night, when you're not sleeping, are you watching me?"

I nodded. "Does that bother you?"

He thought for a moment. "I'm not sure. If you were, well, human, and female, and the age you look, it'd be – well, I don't know exactly what it'd be, but there'd be something not right about it."

He got to his feet. "Well, goodnight, anyway." He reached out to touch my hand. "And thanks."

He went up the stairs, and I waited till I could tell he was sleeping, then took my place in the bedroom chair.

Sometime in the night he stirred, opening his eyes. He looked across at me, but I sensed only peace in his thoughts, and he turned over and slept again.

In the morning we set off for the church, Tim wearing dark trousers and a shirt. He glanced at me as we walked, and said, "Ria?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you always look the same?" He hesitated. "Apart from the wings, I mean, and assuming you're visible." He shook his head. "Can't believe I'm hearing myself say that."

I looked around, seeing no-one in sight. "Watch – I'll only do this for a second."

He looked at me, and for a fraction of a second his face was lit by a warm, unearthly light as I let him see me as a pure flame of fire, then stood before him again in my conventional form.

"OK," he said slowly. "That was really something."

We reached the church, shaking hands with the minister at the door. Tim introduced me as we'd agreed, and we found seats near the front.

I stretched my awareness, and caught the edge of a couple of conversations. "...half his age, is she really just a friend of his daughter... dress is a bit short for church, no decency these young people..."

I leaned over to Tim. "Some of the people in your church seem a bit ready to judge."

He gave me a resigned look. "Think you're right."

The service started, and Tim looked at me, startled, as I hit the first note of the hymn in a clear, pure voice, the sound seeming to float toward the vaulted ceiling of the old church building.

When we sat down again, I grinned as I whispered to him aside. "What, you're surprised that I sing?"

He was about to reply, when the pastor announced the Bible reading. We waited as an elderly gentleman found his way to the passage, then began.

"In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent –"

I leaned over and whispered in Tim's ear, "There's something that's a mystery to me, the whole thing about how people have children. Perhaps later you can tell me how it felt from your point of view, and Sarah's."

The pastor spoke briefly after the reading, then we sang another hymn and he gave the blessing.

"You have a lovely voice, dear," said an elderly lady who'd been standing in front of us."

"Thanks," I smiled. I followed Tim around as he chatted to various people, then he said, "Shall we go?"

"OK," I said. We shook hands with the pastor again, and walked down the path from the church.

"What would you like to do for lunch?" I asked.

Tim thought for a moment. "You can eat if you want to, right?"

I nodded. "Actually I enjoy it – the flavours are all new to me."

"Well, let's go for something Indian – I know you don't like things too spicy, but I know I can find dishes you'll like."

We returned to the house, then Tim drove us for a few minutes, pulling up outside a low building. We walked in, and we were quickly seated.

Tim looked at the menu, and ordered for both of us. The waiter quickly returned with the crispy poppadoms, and Tim pointed to a dish on the table.

"That's mango chutney – you'll like that. The others are probably a little spicy."

I took a spoonful of chutney, and took a bite of the crunchy starter. "Mmm, this is good."

We quickly polished off the poppadoms, then the main dishes arrived. I watched fascinated as the waiter lit the candles, and placed dishes on the brazier. Tim helped me to rice, then spooned the sauce on top. I began to eat, and again closed my eyes to enjoy the flavour. "Wow," I said, "this is amazing – it's a little spicy, but mostly just rich."

When we'd both finished our curry, Tim attracted the waiter's attention, and spoke to him in a low voice. He used a word I didn't understand, but I picked the image from his mind – a sweet, milky dessert.

The dessert arrived, and I tasted it. "Mmm, this is great to finish with."

We sat talking for a few minutes, then Tim paid, and we walked back to the car.

"Let's not go home just yet," said Tim. "Is there anything special you want to see? I promise to try and avoid earthquakes."

I grinned. "You know the creatures that really fascinate me?"

Tim smiled, waiting.

"The sea creatures – the dolphins, the whales. Have you ever heard the whalesong?"

Tim shook his head. "OK – I know where we can go."

He started the car, and we headed off in a different direction. We drove for at least an hour, then as we crested a rise, I saw the sea.

"Incredible," I said. "So blue, and the way the horizon meets the sky."

Tim turned in at a sign, and parked the car. We walked into a large building, and Tim directed me down a long flight of steps, the dim light at the bottom seeming to ripple strangely. I found myself facing a wall of glass, dim shapes moving in the water behind it. Carefully I stretched my senses into the water, and turned to Tim, my face beaming. "Orca!"

He raised his eyebrows. "Most people think they're merciless killers."

"No different to the birds we watched yesterday," I said.

I walked up to the glass, and put my palm flat on the surface. Tim glanced up, and his eyes widened as he saw the black and white shapes purposefully making their way toward us. Their blunt noses bumped against the other side of the glass, and I projected my voice gently into the water. The closest whale moved its head up and down, then we heard its unmistakeable song, a piercing note, rising and falling.

The whales drifted away, and I turned to Tim. His mouth was open, and he shook his head. "Unbelievable."

I smiled. "Not really. Granted I used one or two of my special abilities, but these creatures are not as far from you as you think..."

We climbed the steps, Tim's face still thoughtful. When we reached the car, he said, "Ria?"

"Hmm?"

"Is there a limit to what you can show me?"

I thought for a moment. "As long as we don't attract attention, most things are OK."

I took his hand. "But I won't mock you – there are some things that you just wouldn't be able to understand. Not in this life..."

Tim looked serious. "I suppose you even being here is proof that there's something beyond."

I nodded. "But I'm not the one to tell you about that – you already have everything you need to find your way."

Tim shook his head. "That's going to take some thought."

He started the car. "Anyway, time we got back. Work tomorrow, and the way things have been going, you'll need to be on your toes to keep me out of trouble."

When we arrived back at the house, Tim said, "I'm pretty tired, actually."

He hesitated. "If I go to bed, will you come and talk to me for a while, before I sleep?"

I smiled. "Of course."

He climbed the stairs, and when I sensed he was in bed, I followed, entering the room and taking my usual place in the corner chair.

Tim turned out the light, and looked across at me. "Is it my imagination, or... are you glowing a little?"

I smiled. "I couldn't resist. Will it disturb you?"

He shook his head. "It's comforting. Like the nightlight I had when I was a child."

"What do you want to talk about?" I asked.

"Tell me, if you can, about other places... other times... you've known?"

soroborn
soroborn
107 Followers