Mason Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers

Toni looked at Wanda and saw a frightened little girl and sought to reassure her.

"No, Wanda, it wouldn't have been wrong to leave the baby where it would have been safe, but what were you going to do afterwards?"

"I...I don't know. Maybe see if the people where I used to live would take me back," she replied.

Later that night James and Toni talked.

"We can't let her go back on the street, who knows what will happen to her," Toni said.

"I agree but what are our options?"

"I don't know but we've got to do something," Toni replied.

As the due date for the baby drew closer, it was clear that Wanda wanted to talk about something. Toni had put feelers out at the hospital for anyone needing a live-in helper, with the understanding that she was pregnant and would have to attend classes. As it turned out, help came from a very unlikely source, one of Toni's patients. Mrs. Arnold was a crotchety old woman, but was as tender hearted as they came when it came to someone needing help. She ended up taking Wanda in and was a taskmaster about Wanda doing her school work and reporting back to Toni when she didn't.

A month before the baby was due Wanda approached Toni and James.

"You've been so good to me, who knows where I'd be if you hadn't stopped and taken me to breakfast that morning. My baby needs a good home and needs people that will love her and take care of her. I would like for you to take her."

Toni and James looked at each other.

"Wanda..." Toni said.

"No, listen, I can't care for her. I can love her but I can't give her the things that you can, please take her. I know that you'll love her and keep her safe. Please, I don't want anyone else to have her," Wanda pleaded with tears running down her cheeks.

Now here they were, a month later, heading to the hospital to see their baby born. Wanda had already signed the adoption papers, letting them legally her baby into their care. Wanda always called the baby 'she' but they didn't know what it was, so they had a name for each sex picked out. Both sets of grandparents were on standby, ready to fly out as soon as they got the call that the baby was born. Each set of grandparents had sent a gift of thanks to Wanda, who accepted the gifts tearfully but reluctantly.

Wanda had just been taken to the birthing suite when they got there. Toni went in first to see if it was still alright for James to be with them.

"He's the daddy, he should be here," Wanda replied.

Ten hours later, James Michael Jacobson weighed in at seven pounds, six ounces and seventeen inches long. Toni, James and Wanda all cried when they first saw him and heard his first cry.

"Wanda, he's beautiful!" Toni cried as she kissed the girl on her forehead. "Thank you for trusting us to care for him."

James was speechless for the first time since Toni knew him, but his tears said it all. He kissed Wanda on her other cheek and murmured a thank you.

Both James and Toni had agreed beforehand that Wanda should be the first to hold the baby but she declined. "No, he's yours, you hold him first and then I will," she said.

Toni took the now sleeping baby into her arms and rocked him. She took note of his dark hair and tiny fingers and kissed his head before handing him off to James.

"God, Toni, he's gorgeous!" he murmured as he cradled the baby close.

They turned to hand the baby to Wanda but she was already asleep.

...

Mason knew that Toni and James had left the area but opted to stay behind in Boston. He knew where they were and could watch as easily from where he was as there. He still patted himself on the back for 'fixing' Eustace's problem, he and Gretchen were joined at the hip as it were. They were still working on the logistics of their practices because Gretchen hated the cold Boston winters and didn't want to move to Boston on a permanent basis. They had discussed whether Mason should take over his practice so that Eustace could move to LA, but Mason had balked: what if something happened that required him to move to San Diego? For now the topic was tabled.

As he sat at his desk, he thought about the past two years. Thinking about Katrina no longer hurt, it was more of a light tug and then it was gone. He knew that he wasn't at the point where he could give himself totally to Toni, or anyone else for that matter, but he was a hell of a lot closer than he was even months ago. For now he was content to know that Toni was safe and cared for and that's all that mattered.

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers