Roy's Bachelor Party

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wow," he said again.

"So you'll be by in half an hour? I'm really looking forward to this."

"I've been thinking about that last web startup idea of yours. It's really a good idea."

"Oh good, we'll have something to talk about as we walk."

He could recognize when he was being teased, "Or we could talk about how happy Roy and Linda will be."

"No, our startup plans will do fine."

When Tom hung up, he realized that he felt really good. He hadn't forgotten his child and his loss, but time had finally let the cushion of distance come between them.

------------------------------------

They took her to observe her sentence being carried out. They stood across the street from the little house. It was noticeably newer. The tree in front looked spindly and just planted. The little driveway was smooth and black, not gray and rutted. Flowers were planted along it. From an open window came the sounds of a baby's tired crying. Behind the house, the sun just barely touched the morning sky. A single bird called and chattered, then more joined in. The baby's cries grew sporadic. Then all that could be heard were the birds.

She saw the door open. A man, Tom, looking as he had in the family photo, stepped out. The dog charged down the step and pulled on his arm, but Tom yanked back and called into the house. "Hey," he shouted, "It's beautiful out. Come on. We'll hot foot it around the block. She's asleep and we won't be gone long!"

Heather tried to cry out a warning but her voice wouldn't work. They stood watching, unseen.

The pair walked down the steps. The dog pulled the man's arm out taut in its eagerness. The couple held hands, tired but plainly happy. They walked down the street then turned the corner.

A car pulled noiselessly up. 3 women got out. The old woman Anemone and two younger ones. They glided like smoke up to the house. The younger ones chatted cheerfully, their voices birdlike in the morning air. They were in the house but a moment then came out carrying the baby. It's eyes were open. It looked about with the crazed but cute uncomprehending gaze that babies have. It didn't cry. The old woman looked across the street. Her calm eyes held Heather's and she nodded.

For the only time tears came to Heather's eyes. They would not have taken her if she hadn't been alone and if they had not had cause.