All Comments on 'A Family Ritual'

by EmilyMiller

Sort by:
  • 33 Comments
Yesok1Yesok12 months ago

I think it's well written and thoughtful. You have tried to make it compassionate.

It's hard to read in terms of the subject matter. I don't read incest, I don't really enjoy the thought of it.

That being said it was tender, and I only read it, because you wrote it. I find your writing articulate, and intelligent and that's also built from the views you place on the forums too.

J x

AchtungNightAchtungNight2 months ago
Not your best work.

The sex in this story seems more ritual than erotic. I wasn’t able to get into the characters or the plot. I’m glad you could check the incest category but if you’re not into it, that’s fine. I did understand how this sort of thing might have come about, but actual consensual activity is more enjoyable than the opposite and love does not form from confusion or misunderstanding like this. I don’t think this was really about a loving family. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@Yesok1 - thank you. It’s so not my kink, Just had an idea that - in very specific circumstances and with no power dynamic - sisterly incest might be about solidarity. Emily

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@AchtungNight - your comment doesn’t show up here for some reason. I think you misread the story (or made assumptions given the category) as everything is wholly consensual. Liz even asks permission twice. So I’m confused. Emily

ShelbyDawn57ShelbyDawn572 months ago

A lot of depth here that I feel could have been better served with a longer treatment. Other than a a contrast, I felt Liz's story was a little out of place. The necessity of what the sisters were doing was enough and you displayed that perfectly by laying out allusions to their limited options. With the weight of what is to come and Tiff's acceptance of that, this brief scene of four sisters sharing the best of that world is quite touching. Thank you for sharing.

djripdjrip2 months ago

Incest is polarizing but we can all agree about lesbian twins!

Djmac1031Djmac10312 months ago

Definitely not going to meet the expectations of many readers. And it's not gonna work for some of them.

But not every story needs to play it safe, or pander to a particular audience.

Sad yet sweet, erotic yet thought provoking.

This one's purpose isn't necessarily to stimulate the genitals, but the mind.

Good job, Em.

dmallorddmallord2 months ago

The background built-up was nicely constructed for a somewhat sorrowful existence. It provided the situational awareness elements of the disconnect between the family's lack of a loving relationship between the father and the daughters. However, what transpires between emotionally disconnected family members that remain feels off. The foursome relationship doesn't seem to really express a sense of love between them. It's missing something, but I can't put my finger on it. AchtungNight's comment about being ritualistic might be that.

There are hints at sex with men for the MC and that it might involve money as a family source of income. "It's about knowing that you are part of something and that making love can be a beautiful thing not just a source of cash." That's not detailed nor explained, but perhaps not necessary to the story.

Certainly, an expanded part of the twins involved in the sex scene would have been welcomed in this category.

Still, I rated this 5*.

AchtungNightAchtungNight2 months ago
Hate that I have to say this in public

My issue with consent wasn’t in the consent of the sex, that was fine. But it’s implied that Tiffany will be compelled to become a prostitute by the family’s poverty. That Liz manipulated her into that and is still trying to find sex positivity in the wrong way after her abuse experience. Maybe there was a misunderstanding- I’m sorry. I did not rate this work. I appreciated the tender quality of the sex, but the way it was framed just rubbed me the wrong way.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@dmallord - I increasingly leave gaps or ambiguity into which the reader can place their own interpretations. I may get this wrong, but it’s not unintentional. Emily

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@AchtungNight - like any author, I can’t control what interpretations you bring to the work and what emotions these trigger. If I’ve caused things to be felt, even revulsion at the lot of some women, then I have succeeded. Emily

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@djrip - you out so much thought into these, don’t you 🤣? Emily

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@Djmac1031 - thanks 😊 Emily

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@Shelby - I wanted Liz to have a motivation for what happens beyond just preparing Tiff for the work ahead - she wants to heal her own memories of incest, or to replace them. Emily

ShelbyDawn57ShelbyDawn572 months ago

@Emilky,

I caught that. It was just a darker tone that the rest of the story. It was also why I suggested this might be better served with a longer tell. More family background to explain where and why the ritual began, possibly moving forward to Tiff's first encounter in the family business.

It works as it is, and I certainly wasn't complaining at all. I enjoyed the multilayering of the story and the depth worked for me, too. You made me feel the sadness and the closeness of the sister's bond. I'll stand behind my five stars for those reasons alone.

LustyScribeLustyScribe2 months ago

I thought it was an excellent story, Emily. It's full of tenderness and love. Yes, there's a "dark" side to it, but then life generally does have an element of that. Your story represents the power of the human spirit to doggedly search for joy even in the darkness. Well done!

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@LustyScribe - it’s very gratifying when someone gets it - thank you 😊 Emily

Campus77Campus772 months ago

The strength of the bond between these sisters is palpable in this tale. The losses that each have felt for so long and the punishments they have endured have cemented them together as a whole. I hope their source of income is accomplished with the minimum of anxiety and pain.

FlamethrowFlamethrow2 months ago

Yes, it is dark but it is also a wonderful exposition on the ability of four loving sisters to band together to survive a very hard life and some truly horrific losses and experiences.

DevinterDevinter2 months ago

Extremely well written, as always. But oh boy, did the line "But I've been looking forward to this for so long. Tiff is the prettiest after all. Why shouldn't we enjoy her?" make me uncomfortable to levels that I never expected to feel jumping into this one. You as the author is not responsible for the conclusions that my mind draws, but the woman has been 18 for mere hours, and "so long" sounds like.. Well.. A really long time. At least the other dark themes of the story felt quite tame to me compared to that sentence. Hehe. Good job for writing something that really digs its claws into you.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@Campus77 - thank you for understanding the center of gravity of the story. 😊 Emily

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@Flamethrow - I’m glad you got what I was trying to do 😊 Emily

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@Devinter - I was going for uncomfortable 😊 Emily

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

New here. Read your 750 word challenge and loved it, Subscribed and glad I did. I'm an exhibitionist. Thanks for writing.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@janspussy - thank you 😊 Emily

Lovecraft_LoreLovecraft_Lore2 months ago

Dark and twisted and gross.

5 stars

Paul_ChancePaul_Chance2 months ago

This is a well-crafted short story. You did a good job exploring the sister's tenderness well laying out the harsh and dark realities of the world around them.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@Lovecraft_lore - yep, that was kinda my objective 😊 Emily

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller2 months agoAuthor

@PaulChance - thank you 😊 Emily

32aa32aaabout 2 months ago

Em,

I usually don't go to the "Incest/Taboo" stories. I'm not into Father/Mother - Son/Daughter -Bother/Sister sex. But the title intrigued me, and i found the story to be touching and caring.

With Liz's trauma at the 'hands' of her drunken father, she understood that 'Love' between her remaining family can hold them together in light of doing what they have to do to survive.

The best line was that pretty much summed it up was, "It's about knowing that you are part of something and that making love can be a beautiful thing not just a source of cash."

Well Done. A 'Double' 5!!

EmilyMillerEmilyMillerabout 2 months agoAuthor

@32aa - glad you got it. Quite a few did, though clearly not the majority. Emily

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Agree with 32aa, well written. Loved the slight twist on the POV when Tiff finds out about the truth of her father.

V.

EmilyMillerEmilyMillerabout 1 month agoAuthor

@Anon - thank you. Far from a traditional I/T story, but it’s the one I felt moved to write. Emily

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userEmilyMiller@EmilyMiller
PLEASE NOTE THAT I DON’T SEXT HERE I’m Em. Just your common or garden Lit cumslut. I write a bit, mostly about me, I guess that makes me a terrible narcissist 😬. Or maybe a very good narcissist. Not sure how that one works TBH. Any unsolicited dick pics will lead to immed...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES