A Hillsman Remembers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Joe heard Pat say "Now don't be disappointed, Sarah. General Joe might be too busy to eat with us."

"Do you think so?" asked Sarah. The disappointment in her voice affected Joe.

Sarah opened the door and said, with a huge smile, "Hello Joe. I'm glad you could make it."

Joe showed Sarah the casks, smiled and said "I come bearing gifts. I'm not too late for dinner am I?"

"Come in, come in. You're not too late. It's in the oven." answered Sarah.

Joe saw the look of shock on Sarah's parents faces. Sarah said "Joe, may I introduce you to my mother, Gillian, and my father, Patrick. Mum dad, this is General Joe Christianson."

"How do you do." said Joe as he bowed to Gillian. "We meet again." said Joe to Pat.

"You've met my dad?" asked Sarah.

"Yes, yes." answered Joe. "We had a drink with each other at the tavern."

Sarah looked at her father and asked "My dad's a drinking partner with General Joe?"

"Um..." said Pat.

Joe passed the cask of beer to Pat and said "Will you have another drink with me?"

Pat took the cask and said "Um..."

"Gillian, Pat said that you prefer mead so I've brought a cask of mead for you." said Joe.

"Um... Thank you... Um... Please call my Gill... Pat, tap the cask. I'll get a couple of tankards." said Gill.

"Ah... Joe prefers mead, don't you Joe?" asked Pat.

"Yes. If you don't mind." answered Joe. "I'm not imposing am I?"

"No." answered Sarah. "I invited you to dinner." She looked to her parents.

"No, of course not." said Gill. "Sarah invited you. We didn't say no and you've kindly brought drinks.

"Right... Um... You'd better tap both casks, Pat, and I'll get three tankards."

Joe asked Sarah, as Gill and Pat busied themselves, "So what spice did you need from market?"

"Paprika." answered Sarah. "It's too go with the lasagne."

"Paprika with lasagne?" asked Joe.

"Yes, I sprinkle it on top of the cheese to help it brown." answered Sarah.

"Oh, like welsh rarebit?" asked Joe.

"Yes." answered Sarah.

"It sounds delicious." said Joe.

Gill offered Joe a tankard and Joe took it.

Sarah asked "You're not a vegan or vegetarian are you?"

"Oh... Um... I should be, shouldn't I." answered Joe. "It's good for the environment but... unfortunately... I'm finding it hard to stop being an omnivore."

They all laughed and Sarah said "Good. I've cooked for omnivores."

Joe looked at Gill and Pat who both had tankards in their hands. He said "A toast, if I may..."

Sarah said "Wait! I'll get a drink." She returned with a glass of water and looked expectantly at Joe.

"To chance meetings." said Joe and raised his mug.

The others laughed and said "To chance meetings." and they clinked their mugs.

Joe noticed that they each looked into the other's eyes as they tapped their drinking vessels, a habit that he'd picked up from his parents.

The timer on the oven chimed and Sarah ran to the kitchen. Joe asked "May I help with something?"

"Um... No." answered Gill. "We'll set the table. We know where all the crockery and cutlery are."

"Oh yes." said Joe. "You don't want me near those, I might break something."

The others laughed and then set the table.

They ate dinner, cleared the table and relaxed in the lounge room, with another tankard each. Gill and Pat sat on a lounge and it wasn't long before Gill was leaning against Pat and Pat had his arm around Gill. They were obviously comfortable showing their affection in front of Sarah and Joe.

Sarah brought in some paper and asked "Joe, would you mind reviewing my assignment about you? It's already been marked, but I'd like you to read it."

"Don't bother Joe, Sarah." said Gill.

"How long is it?" asked Joe.

"Um... five pages." answered Sarah.

"That's not too long." said Joe with a smile. "That should only take me... um... three hours to read."

Gill laughed and Pat said "I reckon five hours after tonight's drinks."

They all laughed and Joe asked "What mark did you get?"

"I only got a distinction." answered Sarah, obviously disappointed. "It was really hard to find information about you, even though you're the most famous Hillsman ever."

"Distinction? Distinction? Surely you should have got a high-distinction." said Joe, indignantly. "After all, it's about me."

The others laughed and Joe joined in.

"Okay Sarah. I'll read it but it may take me a while. There's a lot going on at the moment. Is that okay?" asked Joe.

"Yes, yes." answered Sarah. "Take your time. You can keep that copy. I've got it on the computer."

"You found it hard to find information about me?" asked Joe.

"Yes."answered Sarah.

"Mary seems to have access to information." said Joe. "I'll ask her about that tomorrow."

"Okay. Thank you." said Sarah.

"You're welcome." said Joe.

"Sarah, you have school tomorrow. It's bed time." said Gill.

"Please mum, can't I stay up longer?" begged Sarah. "It's not every day that we have a dinner guest."

"No." said Pat. "It's time for bed."

Sarah said good night and the remaining three settled into drinking and talking.

"You must be very proud of Sarah." said Joe.

"I am." said Gill and looked over her shoulder at Pat.

"So am I." said Pat and they cuddled.

"Sarah was so helpful." said Joe. "I felt lost in the city but Sarah helped me regain my direction."

After long conversations, Joe finished his drink, stood and said goodbye. He returned to his room at the tavern and fell blissfully asleep. He felt as if he belonged; he was certainly welcomed by all the Hillsmans that he met.

~~~

The next morning, at about 9.30, Joe saw Tracy in the dining room. He greeted her and she asked "Have you had breakfast?"

"No." answered Joe.

"Would you like to join me?" asked Tracy.

"Have you ordered?" asked Joe.

"Only just then." answered Tracy.

"What have you ordered?" asked Joe as Seb approached their table.

"Eggs, smoked salmon, avocado and hollandaise sauce on an English muffin." answered Tracy.

"I'll have the same please, Seb, and a pot of tea." said Joe.

Tracy offered Joe a cup of tea from her teapot while he was waiting for his.

"What time does a councillor start work?" asked Joe.

"About nine am." answered Tracy.

"Oh, you're late." said Joe.

"No, no." answered Tracy. "I've been to the hall and discussed today's agenda. I thought that I'd have breakfast whilst waiting for you."

"So, what's on the agenda today?" asked Joe.

"Well that depends on you, Joe." answered Tracy. "We'll sort that out in the hall, but first, let's enjoy breakfast." Just then, Seb severed their meal. They chatted over breakfast.

"Did you have dinner here last night?"asked Tracy.

"No, I ate with Sarah's family." answered Joe. "She cooked lasagne, it was delicious. She's a very talented girl."

"She's a Hillsman." said Tracy, with a smile, as if that explained everything.

"Are all Hillsman girls talented?" asked Joe, with a smile.

Tracy looked at Joe, over her cup of tea, and said "All Hillsmans are talented. We're trained from birth to be so."

"Oh I see." said Joe, with a laugh. "I have noticed that all Hillsman women are beautiful. Are they trained from birth to be so?"

Tracy smiled with her eyes, over her cuppa, and after a moment said "Beauty is not skin deep. You are probably seeing the beauty on the inside of Hillsman women. All Hillsmans are taught to be confident and that's probably what you're seeing in the women."

"And Hillsman men?" asked Joe.

Tracy smiled, in a way that Joe thought was seductive, put her cup down, leant forward, which exposed a bit more of her cleavage, and said "I think all Hillsman men are handsome."

"Shall I take that as a compliment?" asked Joe.

"You may of you wish." answered Tracy. "Do you feel you that need to fish for compliments?"

"Sometimes." answered Joe.

"Are you feeling insecure?" asked Tracy, seriously.

"Not at the moment." answered Joe, as he set his cup onto its saucer.

"In what situations do you feel insecure?" asked Tracy, with a slight frown.

Joe thought about his answer and then said "I can't think of a situation at the moment... Are you psychoanalysing me?"

Tracy paused for a moment and then said "Sorry, it's a habit."

"A habit?" repeated Joe. "Are you a psychiatrist?"

"Yes." answered Tracy, as she took another sip from her cup.

Joe sighed and then said "And I thought that we were just having a nice conversation over breakfast."

"We are." said Tracy, with a smile. "Or, we were. I didn't intend to analyse you. I hope that this doesn't affect our relationship, or at least breakfast?"

Joe laughed and Tracy joined him. He said "No, I'm still enjoying both."

They sat in silence for a few moments and then Joe asked "Do you have children?"

"Yes." answered Tracy. "A daughter and a son."

"Are they studying at school, here?" asked Joe.

"No, they've both, well and truly, left the nest." answered Tracy.

"Is there a mister Councillor Tracy?"asked Joe.

Tracy laughed and answered "No, I'm no longer with the father of my children and I'm currently single." She looked at Joe and Joe had the feeling that Tracy may be interested in more than his mental condition.

Tracy then said "Hillsman couples don't normally stay together for life. They might breed if they are comfortable with each other, but a lot can change in four hundred years, especially relationships."

"I see." answered Joe, realising that it would be very difficult to live with someone for that long.

They finished breakfast and Tracy waited for Joe, in the tavern's dining room, as he returned to his room to brush his teeth. She then accompanied him to the councillor's hall.

Tracy took her new place at the head of the huge desk and Peter sat at the other end, next to Mary. Tracy asked "Joe, how much do you remember about your life?"

"Nothing." answered Joe.

"Well... what would you like to know?" asked Tracy.

"Before we get into that," said Joe, "Sarah said that she found it hard to find information about me for her assignment. You, Mary, seem to be able to more easily find information. I wonder if you could demonstrate to Sarah's class how to find information, in general?" Peter snickered.

Mary answered "I... I suppose I could do that. What do you think?"

The councillors nodded their approval and Mary noted the decision. She then said "I'll chat with Sarah's teacher and arrange something for tomorrow. Will you be there with me?"

"I can do that, unless I'm detained here?" answered Joe.

"No one's detained anywhere here." answered Tracy, with a smile. Peter snickered again, so Tracy asked "Do you have something to contribute, Peter?"

"What?" asked Peter, seemingly brought out of his own little world. "Oh... Um... I was just observing how Joe is always a strategist. He's already influencing our educational system."

"I just thought that it would help the students find information." explained Joe.

"Yes, yes, of course." answered Peter.

Peter settled back into his apparent revelry, under Tracy's gaze. Tracy then asked Joe "How can we help?"

"How did I lose my memory?" asked Joe.

All eyes looked to Mary, who checked her computer and said "You had... treatment."

"What sort of treatment, or is that restricted?" asked Joe.

Mary checked her computer and answered "It's not restricted. You had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, hypnosis..."

"And?" prompted Joe.

"Electroconvulsive Shock Therapy." answered Mary.

Joe thought about the treatment and then said "It seems severe but it seems to have worked."

Joe wasn't sure if he imagined a general sigh of relief from the councillors, except Peter, who had drifted off into his own world.

Joe then asked "Some people seem to think that I'm famous." Peter giggled. "Who am I?" asked Joe.

There was an uncomfortable silence and then Tracy said "Joe, we've discussed the best way to provide you with the information that you are seeking--"

"We don't want you to feel upset with us and sue us... or something." interrupted the councillor, sitting in the middle.

Joe looked at the councillor and asked "Jordan, isn't it?"

"Um... Yes." answered Jordan.

"You wouldn't happen to be a lawyer would you?" asked Joe.

"Yes, I am." answered Jordan.

Joe slowly scanned the councillors. He said "Tracy's a psychologist, Jordan's a lawyer, Mary's a historian or librarian..."

"Both." answered Mary.

"I don't know your skills, Stephanie..." prompted Joe.

"I'm an environmental scientist." answered Stephanie.

Joe nodded and then asked "And you, Peter?"

"What?" said Peter as he was jerked out of his marginal consciousness.

"What skills do you contribute as a councillor, Peter?" asked Joe.

"Oh... I'm a political scientist, or I was." answered Peter.

Joe smiled and said "I can see how those combined skills could be used to decide the future of all Hillsmans. How many affected lives would that be?" Joe felt that the councillors seemed to tense up.

Tracy said "We don't do that sort of thing nowadays, Joe."

"Then what do you do?" asked Joe.

"We gather information and listen to suggestions provided by Hillsmans, take a holistic view on how that would affect civilisation and Hillsman society and then suggest a course of action." answered Tracy.

"Such as?" asked Joe.

"Well..." said Tracy. "Just recently a prominent Hillsman suggested that one of our most esteemed historians and librarians could demonstrate information, searching skills to our students. We have considered that suggestion and, rapidly, decided to do just that."

Joe laughed and said "What a great idea. I see that it's NOT time to disband the council." Joe wondered if he imagined an ease in the councillors' tension. All except Tracy, who smiled, cocked her head and raised one eyebrow, and Peter, who just giggled.

Joe said "So what is the best way that this council has decided to treat an annoying, but, apparently, prominent, Hillsman?"

"We thought that it might be best for one of us to show you around the Hillsman stronghold." answered Tracy. "The visual stimulation, of our beautiful home, may, gently, jog a few memories but it would also be more pleasant than verbal questions and answers in this hall."

"Okay." said Joe. "That SOUNDS logical. And who would be this councillor, willing to spend half a day with silly old me?"

"I have volunteered to do that." answered Tracy, with a smile. "If you don't mind my company?"

Joe wasn't sure if there was some seductive undertone in Tracy's voice, but what the hell. She's beautiful, interesting and it might be pleasant spending the day with her. He said "I see. The psychiatrist is chosen to treat the crazy Hillsman. Do I have to pay for the psychoanalysis?"

Tracy laughed and said "No, today's consultation is free."

Joe laughed and said "Okay. Where to first, my most esteemed guide?"

Tracy laughed and answered "The treasury."

"The treasury?" asked Joe.

"Yes." answered Tracy. "It manages some of the Hillsmans' finances and stores a few of their most prized possessions. Like a bank's strongbox."

"I see." said Joe. He then asked Mary "Do I have anything there?"

"I don't have information on what is stored in the treasury." answered Mary.

"So let's find out, shall we?" asked Tracy.

"Why not." answered Joe.

Tracy stood up and asked "Jordan, would you take the chair? Contact me if there's anything that needs a quorum."

"Of course." answered Jordan and Tracy led Joe out of the councillors' hall.

Tracy led Joe away from the councillors' hall. On the way, he asked "How's the order of seating determined amongst the councillors?"

Tracy looked at Joe and, after quite a pause, answered "Experience."

"So you're the most experienced and, until Peter reassigned, Mary is the least experienced."

"Yes." answered Tracy, as they continued to walk.

"What do we hope to achieve by visiting the treasury?" asked Joe.

"I'm hoping that you may have stored some things there that are valuable to you." answered Tracy. "If they are your prized possessions then they may jog your memory."

"Is that a good thing?"asked Joe, wondering if he should remember what he had the medical treatment to forget.

"I think so." answered Tracy. "The treatment seems to have worked too well. It has removed some memories that are not restricted. Therefore, you didn't intend to forget those memories. If we can bring back those memories then they shouldn't hurt you because you didn't have those restricted."

"Makes sense." said Joe. "Do you think that I will remember anything?"

"I think so." answered Tracy. "It's unusual for someone to forget everything, forever, unless the trauma, that caused the memory loss, is very dramatic. That doesn't seem to be so in your case."

Joe entered a huge, stone building with Tracy. Tracy said, to the man at the counter, "Morning Dexter."

"Morning, Councillor Tracy. How may I help you?" replied Dexter.

"Joe, this is Dexter, the treasurer." said Tracy. "Dexter this is Joe Christianson. We're wondering if you have any of his information or possessions here in the treasury?"

Dexter trembled and said "Joe Christianson? I'm very pleased to meet you."

"Hello Dexter." said Joe, as he grasped Dexter's forearm. Joe was getting used the Hillsman greeting.

"May I read you to confirm you are who you claim to be?" asked Dexter as they released each others arm.

Joe didn't know what this reading thing was so he answered "Of course."

"Your name?" asked Dexter.

"I'm Joe Christianson." answered Joe.

"Thank you." said Dexter, as he consulted his computer.

"We have something of yours in storage, Joe." said Dexter. "Would you like to see it?"

"Yes please." answered Joe, wondering what it could be.

"This way please." said Dexter and led Tracy and Joe to a viewing room.

"I can leave of you like?" asked Tracy, when Dexter left the room.

"I'd prefer you to stay, if you don't mind." answered Joe. "There might be something that I don't understand."

"Okay." said Tracy.

Moments later, Dexter and a lady carried a large sea-chest into the room, supported by two poles. They placed it on the floor. The lady left the room and Dexter, just before he left the room, handed to Joe a key, attached to a leather thong.

Joe looked at the key. The complex grooves in the end indicated that it was a very old, but high security lock, for it's time. He pushed the key into the lock and turned it. Surprisingly, the key smoothly turned in the lock and the latch opened.

Joe opened the chest and looked inside. Joe lifted out a helmet and put it on his head. It was a good fit and he was surprised at how much vision he had, considering the face protection. He saw a leather belt with two scabbards attached to it and some other leather straps to go over the shoulders and cross on one's back, before attaching onto the belt again.

Joe grabbed the handle of the sword in one of the scabbards and started to draw it. He said "It looks like a two-handed long-sword." He then saw part of the blade and said "A katana?" He then changed his mind when he saw the false edge and fullers once the blade was fully drawn.

Joe looked at the sword it was made of possibly spring-steel, single-edged, curved blade, with fullers on either side of a 1.2 metre blade, the cross-quillions formed a reasonable guard, the false edge (upper-edge) of the blade was sharpened for a fifth of the blade's length, the two-handed handle finished with a wheel pommel to give the sword excellent balance.

"I've never seen a sword like this." said Joe.

"It's a Hillsman sword." said Tracy. "All Hillsman have them. They're more ceremonial nowadays, but were excellent weapons in the old days."

Joe hefted the sword and was about to swing it, when he asked Tracy, "Do you mind?"

"May I hold the dagger?" asked Tracy. "It's not because I don't trust you, it's just in case you get over zealous with your movements."