A Perfect Christmas

Story Info
A stranded sheriff deputy enriches Gwen's lonely holiday.
14.9k words
4.84
22.3k
52
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
chloehunt
chloehunt
847 Followers

This is my entry for the Winter Holidays Story Contest 2022. Please vote if you enjoy it.

**Unpleasant content warning for sensitive individuals (skip this if you don't like spoilers): The main characters share past trauma that could upset people who have lived through similar situations. There are also short instances of violence and blood, but they are not the main focus of the story.**

--------

The mountain was tranquil as the snow fell in big fluffy flakes outside the cabin windows. The fire was crackling in the hearth, keeping everything cozy. It really felt like Christmas Eve for a change. I was relaxing on the sofa with a creamy cup of coffee, thinking about my year. I was content despite everything that had happened. I would be alone on Christmas for the first time in my life, and I was happy about it. It was a revelation to be so carefree. I had always wanted that sense of peace so I could do what I wanted instead of scrambling to please everybody else. I smiled at the little fir tree in the corner. I dug it out of the front yard and put it in a big pot, then decorated it with red ribbons and shiny golden beads. I was done with fake trees but didn't want to chop a real one down, so I decided a living Christmas tree would be my new tradition. After the holidays, I would plant it again. If it stayed small, I could use it next year, assuming I would be able to return to the cabin. My stomach rumbled, reminding me to make supper before it got too late. I stood with my coffee and turned toward the kitchen. I glanced out the window to discover the snow shower had turned into a proper blizzard.

"Wow, it's almost a whiteout," I smiled and stepped over to the window.

It was nice not having anywhere to go for a few days. I sipped my coffee as I watched snow swirling about in the fading light. I gasped when a truck I had never seen before suddenly pulled up into the yard. I wasn't expecting anyone, and I didn't know what kind of crazy person would be driving in deep snow. I figured the locals knew how to navigate it some. The truck looked official. It had lights on top like it belonged to an officer of some kind. The lights weren't on, but I could tell what they were by how the snow collected on them. I watched a man step out of the truck into a three-foot snowbank. He was a big dude, maybe Paul Bunyan's next of kin. Being a small woman alone, I had a sudden urge to close the curtains and hide, but I didn't want to leave a well-meaning officer out in the cold. I gulped as he started trudging towards the front door. I set my coffee down and went to the door to look through the peephole. The power had blinked off two hours ago, so I didn't have a porch light to help in the effort. The power would probably be off for a few days, thanks to the storm.

I watched as the man stepped onto the small porch and attempted to knock some of the snow off his boots. His head was awfully close to the rafters. He stepped forward and knocked on the door, allowing me to see his face. He was surprisingly handsome, with big blue eyes and thick black eyebrows under his fleece-lined hood. He looked a few years younger than me. His coat had a golden badge that declared Morgan County Deputy Sheriff. I sighed in relief at the sight and quickly unlocked the door. He gave me a bright smile when our eyes met.

"Good evening, mam. Sorry to bother you so late," he announced in a charming southern accent. "You were the last cabin on my map. There was a weather-related accident at the power station on South Ridge Road. Half the county will be dark for more than a week, and the storm is supposed to drop a few more feet of snow tonight. If you don't have adequate supplies, I suggest leaving before the roads become impassable."

"Oh, thanks for warning me, but I have plenty of supplies. I'll be fine for a few weeks without power. I'm sorry you came up here in the middle of a storm to tell me that."

"It's not a problem. I sleep better knowing everyone on the mountain is safe."

"That's very sweet of you. The county needs to install that underground landline they keep talking about or build a cell tower that can reach everybody."

"I hear you. They say it's in the budget for next year. I'll let you get back to your coffee. It smells heavenly. Have a good night."

"Thank you. Would you like a cup to go?"

"No, but thanks for offering... maybe some other time. Merry Christmas," he grinned before he turned and trudged back toward his truck.

"Merry Christmas! Be careful!" I called.

I quickly closed the door and shivered. I looked down to see my frozen nipples trying to stab through my red sweater. No wonder Deputy Blue Eyes was grinning, and I was suddenly rueful to see him go. The feeling surprised me, considering how content I was to be alone for the past two days. I shook my head at myself and went to the window to watch him leave. I could barely see him in the growing darkness. He climbed into his truck and put it in reverse. It surged backward, then the tires lost traction. The truck slid forward a little and stopped. Then he put it in drive and tried to free himself from the rut, but the truck didn't want to move. The snow was too high and too heavy. He climbed out of the truck and observed the deteriorating situation. That's when I realized he had likely parked in the muddy hole I created when I dug up my little Christmas tree. The puddle had turned to ice before the snow covered it.

"Shit, I'm going to have company for Christmas after all. He can't stay in his truck all night," I said in alarm as I watched him turn back toward the cabin.

I hurried back to the door and pulled it open as he stepped onto the porch. He smiled in embarrassment that time.

"I'm stuck," he said guiltily.

"I saw. Come in and warm up. Leave your boots by the door. I'll get you some coffee."

"Thank you," he breathed.

I pulled another mug from the cupboard as he extracted himself from his large boots and jacket. He also removed his gun belt and hung it on the peg next to his coat.

"What's your name?" I asked as I walked over to the fireplace to retrieve the coffee pot.

"Deputy Cody Morgan. What's yours?"

I looked at him in surprise for a moment.

"Deputy Cody Morgan of the Morgan County Sheriff's Office. Is that a coincidence?"

He gave me a charming smile and shook his head. He had shaggy, dark brown hair that fell in careless locks over his forehead. He was a handsome giant in a perfectly starched uniform that accentuated everything underneath.

"Being a deputy sheriff runs in my family. So does being the sheriff. It's almost a hundred-year tradition."

"Wow, that must be why you're making rounds in a snowstorm. Are you buttering up residents for future votes?" I grinned as he walked over and took the coffee from me.

When he was close, I had to look up to see his pretty eyes.

"Maybe. Is it working?"

The way he looked at me at that point made my stomach flutter. His eyes were full of curiosity and anticipation. The attraction was mutual, and it suddenly made me very nervous.

"Uh, it is. Sadly, I'm not a resident yet. I'm just staying here for a few weeks to see if I want to lease the cabin next winter."

I sipped my coffee and stepped around him, so I could sit on the sofa.

"Ah, that's a good plan," he nodded and sat in the armchair closer to the fire.

I appreciated him giving me some space.

"Thank you for the coffee. It tastes as good as it smells."

"You're welcome," I smiled as I watched him drain his cup.

He let out a tired sigh and set his cup on the hearth. Then he leaned back in the chair with his eyes closed.

"Long day?" I asked.

"Yep. I've been up since four doing storm prep with the county."

"Damn, and I was your last house call too. I'm sorry you got stuck here."

"I'm not. You have a fire and delicious coffee. If I got stuck on the pass in my truck, I would be in for a miserable night."

"Oh, I didn't think of that."

"Thank you for letting me in," he smiled and met my eyes again.

"You're welcome... did you think I wouldn't?" I blushed.

"I was afraid you wouldn't. You're alone up here, aren't you?"

It was obvious that I was, but hearing him say it made me want to feel sorry for myself.

"I am," I nodded and looked at the fire to avoid his gaze, knowing he was judging me already.

"I don't mean to pry, but are you alright?"

"I'm fine, really. I know it's weird to be alone on Christmas, but I seriously needed some time to myself. I'm enjoying it," I insisted and looked at him again.

He was wearing a soft smile as he studied my face.

"It's not that weird. I just wanted to make sure you're alright, and I can finally feel my toes again," he grinned and laid his head back on the chair.

I smiled at his comment as I watched his body relax. Less than a minute later, he was snoring. I wished I could fall asleep that fast. I went to the bedroom and collected some blankets and a pillow. I planned to sleep on the couch close to the fire while the power was out. I draped the extra blanket over Cody before curling up on the couch under mine.

A clanging sound startled me awake the next morning. My eyes flew open to see Cody kneeling in front of the fire. He was sweeping up ashes after adding new logs.

"Thank you for doing that," I yawned.

"You're welcome. Good morning and merry Christmas," he smiled as he glanced at me.

"Merry Christmas, Cody."

"Thank you. By the way, you never told me your name."

"Oh, sorry. I'm Gwen."

"It's nice to meet you, Gwen. Could I pester you for more coffee?"

"I can do better than that. You can have coffee and breakfast."

"Excellent. Thank you."

I smiled and glanced out the window, then I gasped. A mountain of snow was intruding on the porch.

"Holy shit! We are seriously snowed in. That's like eight feet of snow."

"Yep. I'm sure my truck is buried. Do you have more firewood I can bring in?"

"Yes. It's stacked against the wall on the porch. Some of it may be buried now."

"I'll bring in what I can to keep it dry."

Cody bundled up and got to work hauling in wood. I went to the bathroom to freshen up and turned on the gas to the auxiliary hot water heater. I looked in the mirror and ran my fingers through my dark hair to straighten it. I kept it cropped below my jaw. It made a lovely frame for my small face and big dark eyes. Once I had warm water, I washed my face before heading to the ice box to find sausage and eggs. The cabin had a special snow box built into the wall that opened up to the snow on one side, creating a natural cooler in the winter. My other amenities included a gas-burning stove and a gas-burning fireplace in the bedroom for emergency heat. I definitely wasn't roughing it when the power went out as long as I had propane. I got started on the coffee and buttermilk biscuits as Cody finished stacking the firewood in the corner. Then he removed his coat and boots and joined me in the kitchen.

"What are you making?" he asked as he curiously peered over my shoulder.

"Buttermilk biscuits. It's my grandma's recipe. When I was a kid, I would help her make them on Christmas morning. I kept up the tradition after she passed. I think my son loves them more than I do now. I taught him how to make them so he could impress his girlfriend. He's staying with her family this Christmas."

Cody was silent after that, prompting me to look up at him. He was staring at me with his brow furrowed, making me feel self-conscious.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Um... how old are you?"

"Excuse me?"

"Sorry," he laughed, shaking his head. "I'm just surprised you have a son old enough to spend Christmas with his girlfriend. You don't look old enough for that."

I blushed and turned my attention back to my biscuits.

"Joey is eighteen. I had him when I was eighteen, then I married the man I had him with. It wasn't the smartest decision of my life, but it taught me a lot about myself."

"Oh, sorry, Gwen. I didn't mean to pry or be rude."

"It's okay. I'm a small woman. I know I look younger than I am. People are usually surprised when I talk about Joey's age. "

"So... why aren't you spending Christmas with your son?"

"Like I said, his girlfriend's family invited him to their house for Christmas. We talked about it over Thanksgiving after some family drama. Neither one of us felt safe staying home, so we agreed to do something different in different parts of the state. If I can get off the mountain, we plan to meet up again on New Year's Eve at my sister's house in North Carolina."

Cody was silent again after that explanation. I knew it sounded awful. I could only imagine what he was thinking. As I started lining up the biscuits in the pan, he gently touched my arm, causing me to look up at him a second time. The pity and tender concern on his face caught me by surprise.

"Gwen... are you hiding from someone?"

I didn't think of it that way. I thought I was escaping, not hiding, but Cody's question made me see it differently, and I didn't like what I saw. Self-pity was a bitch when you weren't ready for it. I gulped and nodded as tears filled my eyes. I looked out the front window to avoid his gaze as eighteen years of fear and anxiety rushed back to me. I had hidden more times than I could remember--the grocery store, the park, the library, my friend's house, the garage, the closet, and now at my best friend's cabin. I was never enjoying freedom. I was hiding like a scared mouse, and I hated it. Tears dripped down my cheeks as my hands started trembling. I suddenly wanted to hide somewhere else. It was completely irrational, but that's how I felt safe. Cody saw the fear on my face and leaned down to get on my level.

"Hey, Gwen, calm down. It's alright. Look at me," he whispered.

I looked at his big blue eyes, feeling like I might be sick.

"I don't know what happened to you, but you're safe right now. Nobody's getting through that snow-clogged pass to hurt you. Even if they could, I would be here to send them packing. Okay?" he asked as he searched my eyes.

I gulped and nodded, trying to get a hold of my emotions before my stomach grew sicker. I was ashamed at how fast I crumbled after a simple question. It wasn't like me at all. I took a few deep breaths to calm my heart and my breathing. Cody was gently rubbing my arm, waiting for the storm to pass. I had a feeling he understood my situation better than I first thought. No wonder he kept asking if I was alright. His job probably gave him plenty of exposure to situations like mine. That made me feel worse. I was casting a dark cloud over his already messed up holiday. I didn't want him to pity me or think of me as a helpless mess because I wasn't. I was stronger than I looked and ready to prove it. I wanted to enjoy Christmas for a change, and I wanted Cody to enjoy his too. Quickly wiping my face, I got my emotions under control and squared my shoulders, ready to make an amazing breakfast.

"Thank you, Cody. Some stress caught up with me for a minute there, but I'm really okay. I'm glad I got that out of my system. Um, the coffee is ready if you want some."

He smiled and straightened up, allowing me to get back to work on the biscuits.

"I would love some. Thank you. Can I help with anything?" he asked as he retrieved a fresh mug and filled it to the brim.

"Uh, can you find the sage for me? I want to put some in the sausage. It's on that shelf over the sink. The owner of this cabin is way taller than me, and I brilliantly forgot to bring my step stool."

Cody chuckled and sipped his coffee before he started his search. He was still looking as I finished the biscuits and put them in the oven. When I turned to look at him, he was scowling at the contents of the shelf.

"Having trouble?" I smiled.

"Uh, these all look alike, and some aren't labeled."

"It's a little jar with greenish-gray powder inside it."

"Half the jars have greenish-gray powder inside them," he laughed.

"Fine. I'll find it myself. Let me drag a chair over here."

"Why?"

"I'm vertically challenged if you haven't noticed."

"You don't need a chair. I can lift you up if you want me to."

"Oh... okay."

I stepped over to the sink as Cody stepped behind me. He stuck his large hands under my arms and effortlessly hoisted me up, putting me at eye level with the spices. I suppressed a gasp from the startling ride upward. My weight was no trouble for him. I quickly found the sage and held it up for him to see.

"Ah, good job!" he declared as he gently placed me on the floor again.

"Thanks for the lift," I chuckled.

"Anytime."

My cheeks were burning as I retreated to the stove to prepare the sausage. I felt embarrassed and slightly elated after Cody picked me up. It was fun and surprising, and I really liked him touching me. I squashed that thought as soon as it reared its head. Cody was nice and handsome, but it didn't mean he was available. I sensed he was attracted to me too, but none of that mattered if he was taken.

"So, Cody, is this snow keeping you away from someone special?" I asked.

I glanced behind me to see him leaning against the counter, enjoying his coffee.

"No, sadly. The woman in my life decided she liked my former best friend more than me. That was last year. She and my thirteen-year-old daughter, Becky, are spending Christmas in Florida. So, I planned to work through Christmas and visit my mom and dad for leftovers tomorrow, but the storm had other plans."

"Oh, damn. That's harsh. Sorry, Cody."

"It's cool. I miss my daughter, but she's doing great. I won't get to call her today like we planned, but I'll get her back in two weeks. She lives with me year-round. Thus she gets to spend Christmas with her mother. I'm mostly over my ex. We were barely friends when we split. It's been peaceful not having to deal with her hostility. I used to think her temper was cute, but then I realized she was just an asshole."

"I've met a few assholes in my lifetime. We're better off without them."

"I agree," he nodded.

Once the sausage and eggs were fried to perfection and the biscuits were golden brown, I carried the feast over to the table. Cody sat down with me, and we assembled sausage and egg biscuits with a slice of cheddar cheese. Cody groaned after his first bite.

"This is heavenly. Thank you," he mumbled with his mouth full.

"I'm glad you like it," I smiled.

"I don't like it. I love it. I would pay a lot for these if a restaurant could make them."

"Homemade buttermilk biscuits are addictive. That's why I only make them on special occasions. I would ruin my waistline if I ate them for breakfast every day."

"Me too," he nodded and began constructing a second one.

I was stuffed after one. Cody ate three. I was expecting him to go for a fourth one, but he smiled and leaned back in defeat. He thanked me again before he picked up his coffee and sipped it.

"What are your plans for the rest of the day, Gwen? You already made the best Christmas breakfast on the planet. It's going to be hard to top that."

"Really? You should try my grandma's shortbread cookies. They're heavenly too," I grinned.

He raised an intrigued eyebrow at me, making me chuckle.

"I love shortbread cookies," he said very seriously.

"Don't worry, I'll make extra."

"Do you usually cook this much on Christmas?"

"This much? I cooked a normal amount today. You're not used to home cooking, are you?"

"No. My ex and I are terrible cooks. We could boil hot dogs and pasta and make toast if we had to. Becky's a better cook than both of us. She'll find a recipe on the internet and make something spectacular about once a month, but I don't let her cook for me unless she really wants to. She has better things to do than take care of her old man. If I'm desperate for home cooking, I drop in on my parents."

chloehunt
chloehunt
847 Followers