A Shepherd Afield Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"His face was covered in blood when he passed me on his way down. I do not believe he was conscious." Gretchen said with finality.

Ben leaned back and looked at the woman. A good portion of his guilt had been alleviated by her confession. While it was true he'd enraged Rainor by showing him up in front of everyone it seemed like it was Gretchen's words that set off the explosion.

The curtain yanked open and a men dressed in a blue suit smiled in at them. He had his notepad in his hand. "That just made my job easier. Thank you for that!"

"Who the hell are you? A reporter?" Ben growled.

"Nope. Detective Burrows, NSW police." He flipped open his badge holder and Ben peered at it in surprise.

"Oh! I gave my statement on the ship to the officer there," Ben said, relaxing.

The detective nodded and looked to the woman on the bed. "But Mrs. Hahn hadn't given her statement yet. The ship's cameras on the top deck were disabled by the crew who use that deck to smoke their drugs so there was no video evidence of what happened there. Physical evidence seems to support her story... so far." He looked at Ben then back to Gretchen. "I do have some news on your husband. I'm afraid he's dead. We found his body in the bay. I'm sorry to say some bull sharks got to him before we found him but we were able to make a positive ID."

Gretchen began to cry but Ben thought it might be more from relief than grief. He shared a look with the detective. They began to move out of the cubicle but Gretchen struggled to reach for Ben.

"Lie back. The Detective and I need to speak. Rest here and wait for the doctor. I won't leave. I'll check on you shortly." Ben said firmly holding her eyes with his and she settled back with a small nod.

When he stepped out into the hall the detective was looking at him strangely.

"What exactly is your relationship to the deceased and his wife?" the man asked suspiciously.

Ben sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose as he tried to think of how to explain this. He moved them down the hall so Gretchen couldn't overhear them talk.

"Tonight was the first time I met Rainor and Gretchen Hahn. I never saw them before tonight but it didn't take long to determine he was a dick." At the detective's confused expression, he clarified. "He was an asshole, possibly a psychopathic one. He was also a Dom. Gretchen's Dom."

"Dom?"

"A dominant... partner. Uh, I'm not an expert in the lifestyle. Gretchen is a Sub, a submissive. I'm under the impression that she let him control most aspects of their relationship."

"This is a sex thing?" Burrows suddenly looked uncomfortable.

Ben grimaced. "Not entirely, though that's certainly part of it. It's... more of a trust thing."

"You're involved in this... Dom/Sub thing?" the detective asked.

"Yes... but not with them. I only recently became involved with Subs. I recognized her behavior as that of a Sub."

"So... you're a... Dom?"

Ben paused watching the detective then nodded reluctantly.

Detective Burrows glanced back at the curtain then at Ben but he shook his head vigorously.

"I don't know how severe Rainor's control was over her but she seems to need the structure of a Dom's command for her peace of mind. I'm hoping she takes control of herself soon as I have to get back to the woman I'm visiting here in Sydney," Ben explained.

"Another Sub?" the detective asked.

"No, not at all. Not in any way," Ben said with a smile. The detective seemed to relax at that.

"Excuse me? Are either of you 'Ben'?"

They turned to see a doctor standing at the curtain looking at them in frustration.

"I'm Ben."

"I need you in here, now." The doctor went back inside.

Ben traded another glance with the detective then they both made their way to the cubicle.

As they passed through the curtain, Ben saw Gretchen was on her feet with her back to the far wall. Her eyes went to him immediately and he saw her shoulders begin to drop from their defensive posture.

"Tell her she needs to remove the dress so I can see her injuries," the doctor said tersely.

The eyebrows on Burrows went up in surprise. "I'm done here for tonight so I'm going to head back to the station. I will need to speak to Mrs. Hahn in the morning. She'll be in her home?"

"Yes, I'll get her there. Thank you detective," Ben said and the man left with another look at him.

Ben turned to Gretchen who was looking at him desperately again. "What did I say about letting the doctor examine you?" he said.

She glanced at the man. "I- I can't be naked in front of him."

"She can leave her underwear on!" the doctor exclaimed in frustration.

"Doctor! Please," Ben said looking the man in the eye with a raised eyebrow in question.

The man backed down. "Sorry, it's been a long day."

"Are you wearing underwear under the dress?" Ben asked Gretchen gently. She shook her head. "The doctor needs to examine your injuries. You need to let him see them."

"Will you stay? Watch him?" she pleaded.

Ben paused, seeing her nervousness. "If you need me to."

She nodded and turned to present him with the zipper on her dress. Ben reached out and pulled it down. He stood back as she dropped the dress from her shoulders until it pooled at her feet. He bent down to pick up the dress as she stepped out of it. He froze when he saw the bruises on her back. Ben stood and looked to the doctor who stepped forward and began touching and prodding her back to see if anything was broken.

She whimpered a little and cast an anxious look at Ben over her shoulder. He nodded to her and she dipped her eyes demurely.

"Please turn to face me," the doctor said.

She did so hesitantly but when she was facing forward she looked to Ben. He sucked in another breath when he took in the damage that monster had done. The bruises were worse on her front. Even so, Ben couldn't help but acknowledge she was also beautiful. Aside from the current bruising her skin was unblemished and her muscles were well toned. Ben lifted his eyes to hers and saw the desperate need for his approval on her face. He smiled and nodded and saw a confidence slip back into her stance. Her shoulders pulled back, her arms relaxed to her sides, and her chin came up as the hint of a smile surfaced on her lips. With a Dom's approval, her self-confidence returned and her beauty shone through the bruising. Ben found himself reacting. He shifted slightly to relieve the tightness in his pants and she caught the motion. Her eyes twinkled with satisfaction. She ignored the doctor. He no longer existed for her. Only Ben.

"Please put this gown on with the ties facing forward and the second gown with them facing back. When you are done pull the curtain open and a nurse will take you to x-ray." With that the doctor slipped out of the curtain and they were alone.

Gretchen made no move to cover herself in front of Ben. She was enjoying his discreet appreciation of her body. Ben picked up the first robe and opened it. He carefully put her left arm through the sleeve and she put her right arm through the other as he slid it up onto her shoulders. He moved to stand before her and tied the front closed. He could still see her creamy skin through the gaps so he slipped the second gown on her as she minimally assisted him. He moved behind her and tied the gown closed.

He moved to face her once more. "You will go with the nurse and allow them to take the X-rays. I will wait for you here. Is this understood?"

Her eyes held some nervousness. "You'll be here when I return?"

Ben heard the edge of panic returning to her voice. He was so far out of his element with this woman. "I told you I wouldn't leave. I'll be here or close by. I'll get you back to your home. Will that be good?" His nerves made his voice sharper than he intended. She nodded quickly and a smile flashed momentarily on her face dazzling Ben who turned and yanked opened the curtain, spooking the nurse coming to check on them.

"I'm terribly sorry about that. She's ready." Ben apologized to the wide eyed nurse who'd only been told a woman was in the cubicle.

Gretchen moved forward, elegance and poise and she smiled demurely at Ben as she passed. He caught himself watching her walk away with the nurse and only broke his gaze when she looked back at him over her shoulder with a slight smile.

Dammit, he needed help with this situation. He pulled out his cell and called home.

Tina picked up on the fourth ring. "Hello?"

"Tina! It's Ben."

"Ben! How are you? So good to hear your voice."

He felt himself relaxing just hearing hers. "I'm good. God, I miss you! Listen I don't have much time as they only left to take some X-rays but I need your advice."

"X-rays? Who is hurt? Was Margaux in an accident?"

"No, Margaux is fine... well, she's not injured but I'm not calling about her. We were at an office party on a harbour cruise and we met her coworkers. There was a man who was a total creep and his wife." Ben explained to Tina what happened and where he was now as she listened quietly.

"Oh Ben, it sounds like she has become totally dependent on her Dom. He must have been a controlling monster! I have read about this but I don't know how it is treated. She is likely in a very fragile state now."

"Maybe she has family who could take her in? I'll try to get her home to them," Ben said.

"She will need a safe environment to regain her sense of self. Her family would be best if they are nurturing. Now, what is wrong with Margaux?" Tina asked.

Ben smiled hearing the concern in her voice. "You know I love you, right?"

"I love you too Ben! Now talk to me," she insisted.

He squirmed a little. "Margaux has been behaving a little odd. She told me about a young couple who invited her to share their bed and asked me if I wanted to join. Considering her issues with jealousy that seemed like a test, just seeing if I would become jealous. I declined of course but she hasn't dropped it. She also wasn't aware that Lucy came home with us and when I mentioned it she took it harder than I expected. She seems to be holding me at arm's length now. Well, it feels like that."

"She didn't come with you to the hospital?" Tina asked, the worry clear in her voice.

"No, she said she had to take care of her people on the boat," Ben said but it sounded like a weak excuse even to him as he said it.

"Ben, please be careful," Tina said softly and Ben knew what she meant.

"Thank you Tina. I'm doing my best," he replied.

"We miss you and we're looking forward to having you home soon."

Ben smiled and felt his eyes tingled with imminent tears as his heart ached for the comfort of being home with his family. He realized he hadn't fully acclimatized to travel. He was definitely a homebody.

"I miss you too," Ben said, his voice a little rough.

"Good night." Tina ended the call quickly before they both lost control.

Ben looked at the phone and thought about calling Gabriella but he realized he was still a little too shaky. He recalled her sad expression in the airport and sighed. He couldn't drop this emotion bomb on her so soon.

He dialed Margaux's number but it went straight through to her voicemail. He left a message stating he was still at the hospital. He didn't know what else to say so he said he'd see her soon and hung up. He'd talk to her face to face soon enough.

He looked down the hall but the emergency room was very quiet this night. He went back into the cubicle and sat down on the chair to wait.

He must have dozed off as the next thing he recalled was soft lips touching his cheek. He jolted awake and saw Gretchen pulling back from him quickly. She winced as the sudden movement caused her ribs to hurt.

"Did- did you just kiss me?" Ben asked.

Soft brown eyes looked at him from under her bangs and he saw the fear there. Not from a violent reaction to her kiss but from his rejection. He saw her begin to tremble and she bit her lip as those lovely brown eyes welled up with tears.

Ben flashed back to the early days when Tina was trying to get him to see her as someone he could love. He knew what she needed. He sat forward and looked her in the eye.

"Come here." She moved closer. "No tears." She nodded as she lifted her right hand to wipe the tears away. He saw she was wearing a cast on her left arm from her wrist to her elbow. It was thin and black so he assumed it was fibreglass. "Were your ribs broken?"

She shook her head so the only break was her arm. He was grateful for that.

He patted the end of the bed and she sat down next to him. Ben dragged his eyes away from her long, toned legs and glanced up to catch the hope in her eyes. He took a deep breath and tried to relax. He thought of his conversation with Tina. "Gretchen, where does your family live?"

His question caught her off guard and doubt flared in her eyes. "I- I do not have any family."

Ben looked her in the eye to make sure they were understanding each other. "Your parents, grandparents, siblings, cousins?"

She shook her head and at Ben's bewildered look she dipped her eyes. "I was an only child. My grandparents died when I was an infant and my parents died a year after I married Rainor, ten years ago. I don't have any cousins."

"What about friends? Someone you grew up with, a best friend?"

"We moved a lot and I was very shy so I didn't make friends easily," she said quietly.

Ben looked at her in dismay. "No friends since you've been married?"

"Rainor didn't want me to speak to anyone when he wasn't present," she explained.

He closed his eyes and took another deep breath to calm his jangling nerves. When he opened them she was back to nibbling on her lower lip as she watched him anxiously. He wasn't ready to address that anxiety yet. "What did the doctor's say?"

"They said I have two bruised ribs and I am to fill a prescription for a medicine to reduce the inflammation on my arm and one for painkillers. I can go home once I do."

"Where is home?" he asked.

"We rent a condo down by the bay-" she said and her eyes went wide as she finally realized her situation. "Oh! What am I going to do! I don't work! Rainor said I couldn't! He paid the bills! I don't know how much money we have or even where it is! Rainor didn't tell me!" Her voice was beginning to get shrill with panic.

"Gretchen."

Ben's sharp tone cut through the panic and her eyes locked on his. He gently took her hand in his. "Baby steps. Nothing bad is going to happen tonight. You will go home and get some sleep. Tomorrow get in touch with a lawyer. Then you-"

The woman burst into tears and Ben looked at her in dismay. She was sobbing uncontrollably and Ben gathered her against his chest. She clung to him as the tears poured forth and her body trembled. He whispered to her soothingly and rubbed her back until her trembling stopped and her tears calmed and slowed.

Ben pulled out his phone and made another call.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Walter."

"Ben! Aren't you in Australia? What time is it there?" the lawyer exclaimed.

He looked at the wall clock and sighed. "It's 3AM. I'm in a bit of a sticky situation here or rather a new... friend of mine is. Her husband died tonight in a tragic accident and she's going to need some assistance in settling the estate and determining what assets she has available to take control of her life. She had no involvement in their finances and she has no external support."

Her grip on him became a little tighter and her trembling began again. Ben looked down at the black hair pressed against his chest and worried that once again he was in way over his head. He couldn't rescue everyone! Sometimes they had to make it on their own!

"You want me to find her someone in Australia to help with that?"

"Yes please, in Sydney specifically. Can you do that?"

"...yes... I think I know someone who could help with that," the lawyer said as the sound of rapid typing filled the background.

"I'm going to take her to her home and I'll call you back when I get there. Ok?" he asked

"Sure, Ben... are you alright?"

"Yeah... I think so. It's been... a night. I'll call you shortly and Walter, thanks again!"

Ben hung up and put his phone away. He considered the young woman in his arms. She was in her... early thirties? "Gretchen, how old are you."

"Th-thirty-one," she sniffed.

"How old was Rainor?"

"Thirty-five."

Ben held her shoulders and gently pushed her from his chest. She looked up at him with frightened eyes. "We need to get you back into your dress so we can leave."

The fear eased a little and she nodded absently, undoing the rear ties on the outer hospital gown. Ben made to leave but her fingers snagged his shirtsleeve to stop him. He looked back at her. "Stay, please," she begged.

He sighed and nodded. She released his sleeve and tugged the outer gown forward. She undid the ties on the inner one and dropped it back from her shoulders onto the floor. Once more Ben was faced with her exquisite but bruised body. He forced himself to look away to get her dress from the hook he'd hung it on. He carefully arranged the dress and knelt to let her step into it. He drew it up her long legs, trying not to touch her as he did but she shifted and his fingers dragged across her smooth skin on the way up. He cursed himself for reacting to that.

He was grateful the dress was sleeveless as getting it over her cast wasn't too difficult. Once her lovely breasts were covered Ben allowed himself a breath and gently turned her so he could do up the zipper.

He guided her out of the emergency department and stopped by the pharmacy to pick up her drugs. He paid for them as she had no money and this fact made her begin to tremble once more.

Ben finally got her out of the hospital and into a cab to take her to her condo. With a little prompting she gave the address. Ben settled back and after a timid look up at his face for permission she tucked herself against his side. She quickly nodded off as Ben watched the scenery of Sydney at night.

The drive to the condo didn't take long and Ben gently woke Gretchen after he paid. They left the cab and went into the lobby of the building. They made their way to the security desk.

"Good evening, Ms. Hahn!" the young man behind the desk said with a wide grin.

Ben relaxed as the man obviously knew her so the chances of getting her into her unit without a key was looking up.

Gretchen smiled faintly and nodded to the man who suddenly seemed to realize Ben was there as well. His eyes widened as recognition flashed across his face.

"Oh my- Mr. Shepherd! What- what are you doing here?" the man gasped.

Ben saw the name tag on the man's jacket. "Please call me Ben. May I call you Clint?" The man nodded slack jawed. "Mrs. Hahn has suffered a terrible loss tonight. Her husband fell off a boat into Sydney Harbour and died." Clint's eyes widened further and his jaw was seriously threatening to fall off. "She doesn't have her keys..."

"Oh. OH! Right! Let me get you inside your unit!" the guard said as he scrambled to set the front door to key access only. Then he secured the console on his desk and rushed around the desk to guide them to the elevators.

"Visiting Sydney for vacation?" Clint asked Ben as they rode the elevator up to one of the upper floors.

"I had business in Melbourne-"

"The missing girl you found and rescued from the strip club!" Clint interrupted excitedly.

"No, that wasn't what I was in Melbourne for. That just coincidentally happened while I was there." Ben corrected him uncomfortably.

"Sorry, of course!" Clint said in embarrassment as he glanced at Gretchen, his eyes wide with curiosity.

Ben sighed and leaned his head back against the wall of the car. He felt tired to his core. It felt like the weight of the world was settling on his shoulders. Gretchen leaned against his side just a little harder.

1...1112131415...17