A Shepherd Afield Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Clint guided them off the elevator and down the hall to the second to last door. He used his security pass to open the door. The man stopped in the doorway as they went inside.

Ben turned and shook his hand. "Clint, how can I reach you if I have any questions?"

The man beamed a smile at him. "Just dial #9 and that will ring my desk."

"Perfect! Thank so much!" Ben said and the man nodded as he headed back down the hall.

Ben shut the door, locked it, and turned to take his first look at Rainor's condo. Modern and cold. Unlike Margaux's condo the view out the floor to ceiling windows faced only water so all he saw now was blackness with the occasional light from a ship. He then realized Gretchen was standing in the bedroom door and she was completely naked.

"Gretchen! Put something on! A nightie or a dressing gown," he scolded. She shrank from his words and hid behind the doorway. She looked back at him through her bangs.

"Rainor didn't allow me to wear clothes at home," she said faintly.

"His rules no longer apply to you. From this day forward you are a free woman to make your own decisions and to be treated like a human being!" Ben insisted. He was dismayed to see that instead of being happy about that she just looked frightened. He moved to her and took his jacket off to drape it over her shoulders. She wrapped it around herself and smiled timidly at him. Then he saw her wince.

"Are you in pain?"

She nodded faintly. He pulled the bag of drugs from his jacket pocket and read the instructions on the bottles. He poured out one anti-inflammatory pill and two painkillers onto his palm. He caught her eying the painkiller bottle strangely and he suddenly became nervous about leaving her with them. He walked her into the kitchen and poured her a glass of water. He gave her the pills and she swallowed them with the water.

"I have to make a phone call so you should go to bed-"

"You're going to leave! You're going to leave me all alone!" she wailed, fear in her eyes.

He took her face between his hands and leaned close to hold her eyes with his. "I will NOT leave until I'm sure you'll be ok. I'm going to call my lawyer to make arrangements for someone to help you with the estate. You have to speak with the detective today. You need to get some sleep. I'm going to need to go at some point-"

Gretchen began to cry and Ben looked at her in dismay. What the fuck was he going to do? He pulled her to his chest and hugged her carefully because of her ribs, feeling her tremble in fear once more.

"Come on, let's go into the living room so I can make my calls. You can lie down on the couch and I'll sit with you," he said and they made their way into the next room. "Get a blanket."

She rushed off to the linen closet and returned with a soft grey blanket. Ben settled down on the end of the couch and she immediately stretched herself out on the couch next to him and rested her head on his leg. She looked up at him with anxious eyes. Ben sighed and ran a fingertip across her forehead smoothing out the worry lines there and she immediately began to relax at his touch. He smoothed her eyebrows with his thumb and she moaned softly. He moved his other hand to massage her scalp and her body turned to jelly as she completely relaxed. He kept up the massage until she began to snore gently.

He pulled out his phone and dialed Walter once more as he kept a gentle touch on her scalp, running his fingers through her silky hair.

"Ben!"

"Hi Walter. Any luck?"

"Yes, I have someone who can assist you or rather your friend. Margaret Dawson. She specializes with estate law. I'll give her a call 9AM your time. It being Saturday I may have some difficulty getting her to agree to come see this client until Monday."

"Walter, I'm supposed to be on a plane Sunday night." He paused to ensure she was still asleep but she was out. "She was married to a cruel psychopath who isolated her, kept her a virtual prisoner in her own home and only allowed her to go outside and speak to others in his presence. She was married to him for 10 years. She's lost the ability to make decisions on her own. Her isolation has left her with terrible social anxiety. I'd hand her over to her family or friends but she doesn't have any. She's 31 and helpless as a child in many ways. I- I don't know what to do!"

Walter was quite for a bit. "Damn, Ben. OK... I'll do what I can. Are there any social services for... no, never mind, she's 31." He paused a moment. "I'm sorry Ben, this is way outside my area of expertise. You're going to have to ask someone with a psychology degree for help."

Ben thought that was very good advice. "Actually, that really helps. I now know who to call next. Please let me know how it goes with Ms. Dawson. Thanks!"

He hung up and dialed another number. While it connected he looked down at Gretchen's sleeping face. She looked so innocent, so at peace sleeping on his leg.

"Ben?"

"Hannah! I'm so glad I got through to you," Ben sighed in relief. He'd been worried she would be in a meeting.

"I- I'm in a meeting but Tina let me know you're in Australia and now you're calling me at... 4AM? What's wrong?" she asked, the worry evident in her voice.

"I'm so sorry to interrupt your day but I'm- it's really... I don't know what to do!" Ben sighed.

"Give me a second to let the people here know they can go."

"Is Dr. Granger with you?" Ben asked.

"Uh, yes. Should I ask her to stay?" Hannah asked.

"I think it would really help," he answered.

He heard some muffled sounds then the phone went on speaker. "Ok, Ben. It's just me and Dr. Granger. How can we help you?"

He took a deep breath and explained the events of the night and ended with what he'd told Walter. When he finished he listened to the silence on the other end. "Are you still there?"

"Sorry Ben, we're just trying to absorb what you've said," Hannah replied.

"Ben, this is Dr. Granger. You've found yourself in a white knight situation again only this time you're faced with a deadline, no local support, and no exit strategy."

He thought about that and had to agree. "Yes, that... sounds right."

"Wait! What about Margaux? This Rainor worked for her company. Couldn't she lend some support?" Hannah asked.

Ben hesitated.

"Ben? What's happened with Margaux?" Hannah asked.

"Nothing. I don't know that anything has happened... yet. It's just a little stiff behavior. I don't know what it means yet. I don't know how supportive she's likely to be in this... situation. Not after how she behaved when she heard Lucy was living with us."

"Oh Ben..." Hannah sighed.

Dr. Granger came back on the line to keep the conversation moving. "Ok, so local support isn't available. You said she has no family or friends. That's a dead end so we move on. The exit strategy for this kind of loss of self is long term. She needs treatment. Potentially years of it to combat the damage Rainor has done and in the interim she needs to be in a supportive environment. This is also not something you can address at this time."

"This is a rather disheartening call, Dr. Granger," Ben grumbled.

"There is still one aspect of this situation you can address. The deadline. You can do something about that," she insisted.

"I- I could extend my stay but-" he began.

"Not what I'm suggesting," the doctor interrupted. "Bring her with you. Get her treatment here."

"You'll have to deal with any circumstances that might delay her departure. She might even have to follow on her own after you leave if there is something she must remain in Australia for," Hannah suggested. "You'll also have to apply for special permission with immigration for her to be here for an extended period. We might be able to help with that. Start with a six-month tourist visa."

"Hannah, you're amazing! Anything your hospital needs you let me know. Maybe we could renovate that dismal psyche ward! When I get back we'll talk, ok?" Ben said.

"Oh! Ah, alright," she said in surprise.

"And you're getting a big hug!" Ben insisted.

Dr. Granger snorted.

"You'd get one too but you're my doctor and I hear that's frowned upon."

"Oh, I'll accept a hug. Nothing wrong with one of those!" the doctor said happily.

"Done! Thank you both so much! I can't tell you how much better I feel!" Ben gushed, but quietly so he didn't wake Gretchen.

"Glad we could help Ben! Let us know how it goes!" Hannah said and Ben could hear her smile.

"I will! Have a good day!"

Once he hung up he looked at Gretchen. She still looked so peaceful and lovely. He yawned massively and rested his head back just for a second.

Chapter 32

Ben jolted awake as his phone rang. Gretchen snorted in her sleep and rolled onto her side, still resting her head on his leg. He stared at his cell stupidly and finally registered Margaux was calling.

"Huh, yeah. Margaux!"

"Where are you?"

Her voice was a little strained.

"Sorry, I must have fallen asleep. After the hospital I took Gretchen back to her condo last night- this morning. Didn't get here until after 3AM, closer to 4AM. Fell asleep on the couch. What- what time is it?"

"It's almost 9AM."

"I'm sorry. I'll tell you all about it when I get there. I'm just waiting to hear if a lawyer will be dropping by to help Gretchen with the estate transfer. I'll be able to head out then.

"Able to?"

"Yeah, like I said, I'll tell you about it when I get there."

"Right." The line went dead.

Ben looked at his phone. He wasn't going back to sleep now. He sighed and tried to slip off the couch but Gretchen came awake in a flash. She looked up at him anxiously.

"I have to pee. It's time for us to get up anyway. You need to get dressed. I want you wearing clothes when the lawyer gets here."

She released her grip on Ben's leg and he climbed to his feet and stretched. Then he made his way into the bathroom and relieved himself. He washed his hands and splashed water on his face to freshen up then toweled dry. He walked into the bedroom and saw her standing in front of her closet. There were only a few outfits. Ben picked a nice red dress, the least formal item in her closet. He checked her cast and saw it had the waterproof liner. He told her to take a shower and put on the dress. She handed him his jacket and she walked into the bathroom naked. He chastised himself for watching.

Ben did a little snooping and found the keys to the filing cabinets in Rainor's office. The man kept meticulously organized files. All of his investment documentation was neatly organized and filed. It looked like he had a lot of money in investments himself. This could be good news for Gretchen. He kept searching but found no sign of a will or even paperwork referencing a legal firm. So, perhaps there wasn't a will.

He left the filing cabinets open and found Gretchen sitting on the sofa again. She looked up sharply when he entered the room and he saw her relax.

"I need to ask you a question," Ben began.

She watched him cautiously.

"I don't know how much time the police will need from you over the next few days or if the lawyer needs you physically here for the estate transfer. I fly back to the states on Sunday night." She began to look panicked but he held his palm up and she immediately went still. "I want you to come home with me so we can take care of you and help you take control of your life." She looked like she might leap off the couch towards him but again he held up his palm to stop her and she froze once more.

"I have to go out today and you have to speak with the lawyer I hope will be coming to help you with the estate. Her name is Margaret Dawson. I took a look at the files Rainor kept. Do you know if he had a will?" She shook her head. "Do you know if he had a lawyer?" Once more she shook her head. "Does Rainor have relatives?"

"Not that he ever mentioned."

Ben's phone rang and he smiled when he saw it was his lawyer. It would be... close to 4PM his time.

"Good Afternoon, Walter!

"Good morning, Ben! I reached Ms. Dawson. She is waiting for your call," the lawyer said.

"She's able to come over?" Ben asked.

"Yes. Weekend rates but yes." Walter replied with a grin in his voice.

"That's fine! Thank you so much Walter!" Ben exclaimed. He gave Ben the number then they said their goodbyes and he hung up.

Ms. Dawson picked up on the first ring.

"Margaret Dawson."

"Ms. Dawson, this is Ben Shepherd. You were just speaking with my lawyer-"

"Yes, Walter! Nice man! What can I do for you today, Mr. Shepherd?"

"Ben, please. I need you to look into the estate transfer of Rainor Hahn to his wife Gretchen. Rainor died last night and Gretchen had no involvement in their finances and has no idea of the assets she may have."

"I can do that. Walter mentioned you needed this expedited?" Margaret said questioningly.

"Yes, I fly back to the States tomorrow night and I would like to bring Gretchen with me, if possible," Ben explained.

"And you'd like the estate transfer completed by then?"

"No, just the parts which need her physical presence. She'll be out of the country for an extended period."

"Is she a citizen of Australia?" the lawyer asked.

"Hang on. Gretchen, what's your citizenship?"

"German. I was born in München. Sorry, Munich."

"No, she's German," Ben said. "I think Rainor kept most of his documents here in his office. He seemed to have a fair amount of investments but I found no evidence of a will."

"Stupid young people." Margaret said. "I assume Rainor was also not a native of Australia."

"Your assumption would be correct. He probably had a work visa. No idea," Ben said.

"Alright. Where am I going?" she asked and Ben gave her the address. "I will be there in about an hour. Will you be there?"

"I actually have to go out but I'll give you my cell number so you can reach me." He did so and she gave him hers.

"Thank you so much for moving on this so quickly!" he said to the lawyer and she laughed.

"Weekend rates apply," she said with a chuckle.

"Understood. Thanks all the same," Ben returned.

They said their goodbyes and hung up. Ben turned to Gretchen.

"Ok, I'm going out now but I'll be back. Are you feeling pain?" he asked and she nodded.

He went to the kitchen and returned with a glass of water, the two painkillers and the anti-inflammatory pill. She took the meds and he returned the glass to the kitchen. He pocketed the painkillers. He was still unsure of her state of mind and this seemed like a safe precaution.

When he returned to the living room she was smiling at him. "You're feeling a little calmer about your future?"

She nodded with a grin. Beautiful. He smiled in return.

"Ok, lock up behind me and only let Margaret Dawson or Detective Burrows in. He said he'd be coming to speak with you." He made his way to the door and suddenly found her arms around him and her body pressed up against his back.

"Thank you," she whispered.

He patted her arms affectionately and she released him. With a final smile Ben stepped outside and listened to the door lock behind him. He made his way downstairs and was crossing the lobby when he saw the detective entering the building.

"Detective Burrows, good morning!"

"Mr. Shepherd! I wasn't expecting to see you!" the man returned.

"The lady had a bad evening. I'm just making sure she's ok. I let her know to expect you today." Ben said and nodded to the man as he made his way to the security desk. Clint was no longer on duty and had been replaced by an older gentleman.

"May I help you sir?"

"Yes, do you have the number of a taxi service?"

The guard smiled and nodded. "I'll call one up for you."

"Thanks!" Ben replied with a smile then walked outside to wait. He stretched in the morning sunlight and enjoyed the feeling of the rays on his face. It was going to be another hot one. He'd need to remember to bring his lotion to the beach today.

It wasn't too long a wait for a taxi to stop and he waved to the security guard before he got into the back. He gave Margaux's address and they were off. He dozed in the back of the cab and jolted awake when they reached the building. He paid the driver and made his way inside. He felt more exhausted for the little snooze he'd had in the cab and rubbed the sleep from his face as he took the elevator up to Margaux's floor. He pressed the doorbell and waited. He was nervous about Margaux's mood as his call with her this morning had been so odd. He blinked as he'd been waiting for some time and reached for the doorbell again when the door yanked open.

Tall, slim, blond and gorgeous. Tasha stood before him in all her naked glory. Her breasts were even more spectacular in person. She was grinning excitedly at him and gestured for him to come in quickly. Stunned, he stepped inside and she closed the door behind him.

"Oh my god! It's so awesome to actually meet you in person! I've been on pins and needles since we met Margaux in the coffee shop this morning and she invited us up for some fun!"

"FUCK! UUHHH! FUCK! BOBBY, FUCK ME HARD!"

Ben's head turned towards the bedroom.

Tasha giggled and Ben looked back to see her wide eyes. "Now she gets noisy! The first few times she was so quiet!" She bit her lip as she trailed her eyes over Ben's body. "Mmmm, let's get some of those bothersome clothes off so we can join in!" She reached for his jacket but he gently caught her hands.

Ben's chest was tight and he was having trouble breathing. "I- I'm so sorry. I'm afraid there's been... a big misunderstanding. I... I don't... I'm not going to..." He released her hands and reached out to brace himself against the wall as he took some slow deep breaths as his empty stomach knotted and churned. The noises of Margaux and Bobby's aggressive sex in the other room got louder.

"Are you ok?" Tasha's smile slipped away and she gently touched his arm as she saw the despair on Ben's face.

He jerkily shook his head and moved forward until he was standing in the entrance of the bedroom. The young man, Bobby, was between Margaux's thighs driving his cock into the moaning woman faster and faster. She clung to him and writhed under his body like a wild animal but her eyes... they never left Ben's. For all her moaning and passionate motions her eyes were cold. It was all a lie. She grinned at his lost expression.

"What's the matter, Ben? Disappointed we didn't wait for you?"

Bobby looked over his shoulder with a grin which slid away when he saw the sadness in Ben's eyes. His thrusting faltered and he looked at Margaux in confusion.

Ben looked away and picked up his laptop case and slung it over his shoulder.

"what..." Margaux began.

He grabbed the handle of his suitcase and left the room.

"NO!" Margaux yelled angrily behind him and a male voice yelped. There was a crashing noise of someone falling against a piece of furniture and smaller crashes as items fell. Margaux stormed out of the bedroom. She glared venomously at Ben who paused to look back.

"You fucking hypocrite! You fuck every piece of ass that throws itself at you and you bail on me when I decide to have a little fun?" she yelled.

Ben stared at her in dismay. How many times did he have to say it? "No, you can have sex-"

"Spare me your holier than thou righteous bullshit! The truth is you're running away because you can't handle it! You can't stand seeing another man stick his cock in me!" She paused waiting for him to argue but he just shook his head sadly. Her eyes narrowed. "You're running back to the slut, aren't you?" Margaux spat, her eyes flaring with hate.

Ben held her eyes with his and felt a stabbing pain shoot through his chest.

"You fucked her tight young body all night and now you want more!" Margo screamed.

Ben's mouth moved but he couldn't find the words. He knew it was her jealousy that was lashing out at him but there was nothing he could say or do in defense against her irrational rage. He just shook his head. "Goodbye," was all he could manage before he turned and headed back to the door.