A Shepherd Afield Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I should make us breakfast," Ben mumbled self-consciously.

Gretchen sat on a stool by the kitchen island and watched Ben putter around making them breakfast. He cut up some mushrooms and fried them up. Then he shredded some cheese but paused when he dumped it in a bowl. "Do you like mushrooms and... mild cheddar in your omelette? Sorry, I should have asked."

"Yes, I like mushrooms and cheese," she said. She seemed surprised to be asked.

Ben nodded and finished making their breakfast. As he worked on the omelettes he spoke over his shoulder. "Do you have a suitcase? You'll need to pack your clothes and... things you need to take with you."

"The suitcases are in the locker and the key is in the drawer of the table by the front door. I don't have much to pack," she said.

Ben glanced over at her then returned to his cooking. "We'll get you more clothes when you get home."

"Where will I be living?" Gretchen said quietly.

He searched for plates then poured the omelettes onto the plates as he thought about that.

"I- I suppose at first you could live with me as my daughters are going to be moving into the house I renovated for them..." he tried to get the dates straight in his mind. "Today? It should be today unless there are some important items missing like their bedroom furniture. Once they are moved in there will be two bedrooms opening up in my house. One will be reserved for the new baby but the other one is available."

"Is it a mansion? How many bedrooms does it have?" she asked as Ben set the plate before her with a knife and fork.

Ben snorted in amusement. "No, it's not a mansion. It's just a nice four-bedroom bungalow. The neighborhood has many larger homes. I just converted a tired, old bungalow into a modern, two story five-bedroom house for Karen and Penny and Rain, a woman we met in Costa Rica. She's a psychologist and a really nice woman. There are spare bedrooms in that house if you'd prefer-"

"No! I mean, if it would be ok, I'd prefer to live in your house. It sounds nice." Gretchen said hurriedly. At Ben's considering look she redirected the conversation. "You live with this woman, Tina?"

"Yes. She was a neighbor and had a six-month old son when her husband died and left them in financial peril. Christopher is over two years old now and such a happy child," Ben said with a smile as he began eating.

Gretchen watched Ben from the corner of her eye as she ate her breakfast. She picked up the plates and washed them when they were both done.

"So with your daughters moving out it will only be you, Tina, Christopher, and I in your home?" Gretchen asked.

"And Lucy," Ben corrected. He saw her curious look. "We met Lucy in Paris. We brought her home with us when she discovered she wasn't welcome at home anymore. We enrolled her in a local college for audio engineering and she is doing really well."

"And now me." Gretchen watched the unease on Ben's face and tears began to pool in her lashes. "I am an unwelcome burden forced upon you. I know I should tell you to leave me behind but I'm terrified you will!"

Ben looked at her sternly. "Stop. You are not unwelcome nor are you a burden. I want you to come with me." Ben sighed. "My relationships with women are complicated... and many. I'm in love with Tina and Lucy. I'm also in love with Gabriella, Catherine, Trish, Hanna... Lisa and Lori, and... Ashley." Ben felt a tangible pulling sensation drawing him home to the women he missed so much. He wondered how they were.

He didn't mention his feelings for Rochelle as she'd found her own heart's desire. He didn't mention Mar-

"Margaux."

Ben winced and twitched. He closed his eyes momentarily then opened them to look into the compassionate eyes of the raven haired beauty. He nodded briefly.

"I'm sorry. I won't mention her anymore," Gretchen said.

"Thank you. We should get the day started. Take your shower first and I'll go next."

Gretchen quickly moved off to the bedroom while Ben tidied up. He would have to ask Margaret to arrange for a company to pack the contents of the condo and ship them to his place. They'd look at the locker next.

Ben's cell rang and he glanced at it. It was Margaux. His chest tightened but he knew he shouldn't run from this so he answered.

"Hello Margaux."

"Ben. Are you with her?" Her voice sounded tight and controlled.

He sighed to himself. "Am I at Gretchen Hahn's condo? Yes. Am I with her? No."

"Semantics! You slept with her haven't you!"

Ben felt the weight of her seething anger settling on his shoulders but he pushed ahead.

"Have I slept in the same bed as Gretchen? Yes, there's only one bed in her condo but I haven't had sex with her."

There was silence at the other end of the phone. He heard a sound. A gasp. A shuddering breath.

Ben's heart ached to hear her suffering. He wanted so badly to help her past this. To see the joy flashing in her eyes once more. To feel the excitement in her pulse when they touched. "Margaux, please-"

"You're lying."

Her voice fell between a harsh whisper and an anguished cry.

"I'm not-"

"LIAR!" Margaux screamed and the line went dead.

Ben rocked back, eyes pinched closed tightly, and leaned against the counter. The sharp pain was back, slicing through his heart, ripping open the wound once more. He struggled to breathe and shudders ran through his body. He forced himself to take deep breaths and opened his eyes to see Gretchen standing by the island in his black t-shirt and a white skirt from one of the outfits in the closet. Sad eyes searched his face.

"Are you ok?" she asked.

He hung his head and tried to regroup. "No... but... I think I will be, once I get home."

He pushed himself from the counter and made himself move into the bedroom to grab some clean clothes. He headed into the shower.

In the kitchen his phone rang again. Gretchen looked at it then back to the bedroom but she could hear the shower going. She picked it up and saw Margaux's face. Her finger touched the answer button before she could stop herself.

"BEN!"

Gretchen heard the anguish in the woman's voice. The pain and torment. The same pain Ben was suffering because of this woman. "You hurt Ben," she said.

There was silence then a cold voice. "Gretchen. Are you enjoying his big cock?"

"You're wrong about him. He won't have sex with me," Gretchen growled as her anger flared.

"Won't?" Margaux's voice cracked a little. "You've thrown yourself at him, have you? Exposed your slutty cunt to him?"

"I- I didn't-" Gretchen stumbled under the woman's bitter words.

"You're a fucking liar as well as a pathetic whore!" Margaux barked.

"I- I'm not- I'm not lying-"

"Fuck him, go ahead! Take his fat cock up your pretty little asshole until he ruins you! YOU FUCKING LIARS DESERVE EACH OTHER!" The line went dead and Gretchen put the phone back on the counter, shaken to the core by the rage in the woman's voice.

She moved to the couch and sat to wait for Ben. She regretted answering Ben's phone. She regretted it very much.

Chapter 35

Tina watched Karen and Penny rushing from room to room in their new home giggling with glee. She relaxed back against the cushions of the couch with a smile on her face. Most of the furniture had been delivered on time in the last few days. Thankfully all of the bedrooms were furnished and they were only waiting on the new washer/dryer. The house was very nice and she was sure they were going to do very well in it. She was more concerned about Ben missing the energy the girls brought to his home in the morning rush to get ready for school and at night when they got home. Of course there was a new baby soon to arrive which was going to change the dynamic of the household once more.

The front door opened and Trish walked in carrying a suitcase and a duffle in her strong arms. Following her was Rain, the latest member of Ben's extended 'family' who was carrying a smaller suitcase and a second duffle. Tina smiled at them and brilliant smiles came back. Rain was very excited to be moving in and still looked a little dazzled that it was actually happening.

They kicked off their shoes and went upstairs to drop off the luggage in Rain's room. When they returned they sat in the living room with Tina.

"How are you feeling?" Rain asked Tina with a delighted smile.

"I feel like I am as big as this house!" she pouted.

Trish laughed and shook her head. "Tina, you still look sweet and petite!"

"It is how I feel," Tina said rubbing her tummy.

"When do you get your cast removed?" Rain asked.

"In two more weeks. I cannot wait!"

"That's just before Ben's court date, right?" Trish asked as she tried to recall the date.

"Yes, he will be in court on the following Monday." Tina replied.

"Have you ever met Ben's ex-wife?" Rain asked the two women.

Tina shook her head as they had moved into the neighborhood well after Wendy had left Ben.

Trish shook her head as well. "We were living here when Ben arrived, fixed up his home then brought his new wife home but Wendy wasn't one to participate in neighborhood activities or even say hello. We all had our own lives to lead and the rest of us didn't really get together that often. Sometimes we'd throw a block party but Wendy never attended any. Ben sometimes would."

Rain shook her head. "I read the article in Peeps magazine from Wendy and she says some really nasty things about Ben. Things I know have to be lies."

"They are!" Tina and Trish said simultaneously then laughed.

Karen and Penny walked back into the living room after inspecting the basement. "We love this house!" Penny gushed as Karen nodded enthusiastically.

"I couldn't find the game console Ben said he was going to get for the TV," Karen said.

"Ben told me he will go out shopping with Daniel for that when he gets back," Tina replied.

"When is he home? I have to thank him for giving me such an amazing place to live! And a wonderful place to work! And great friends to be around!" Rain gushed, counting her blessings.

"Monday night I believe! Something else I cannot wait for!" Tina said with a grin.

Trish shared a look with the petite woman who blushed and turned her attention to Karen. "So now that you have a wonderful new kitchen what are you going to make us for dinner?"

Karen flopped down on the sofa next to Tina and rested her head on the woman's shoulder as she looked up into her eyes. "I'm exhausted! Could we order Chinese food tonight! I think that would be the best way to start living in our new home!"

Penny leaned over the back of the sofa and kissed the top of Tina's head. "Pleeeeaaasssee!" she begged.

Trish looked at Tina's happy smile and laughed. She knew they'd won that battle.

Tina nodded and the girls cheered. "Why don't we invite over the others to make use of that huge dining room table Ben ordered. Maybe Daniel can bring over his game machine to hook up to the TV downstairs."

"Ooo! I'll call him!" Karen jumped to her feet to run upstairs to get her cell. Tina called Lucy who had taken Christopher over to Ashley's for a play day with Joshua.

"Hi, Tina. What's up?"

"Hi, we are going to order Chinese food to celebrate the opening of the new home. Lucy, could you ask if Ashley and her children would like to join us?"

"Hang on." The phone was muffled as Lucy asked. Tina heard the squeals of Madison and Savannah and knew Ashley would likely say yes.

Lucy came back on the phone with a smile in her voice. "Yeah, that's an affirmative. When?"

Tina looked to Trish and Rain. "Dinner in about an hour?" They nodded. She returned her attention back to the phone.

"Dinner will be in an hour but you may come over any time," Tina told Lucy.

"See you soon!" Lucy replied and hung up.

Karen came back down the stairs looking a little embarrassed. "Daniel and Miriam are on their way over," she said to the group then she looked at her sister. "We forgot we have our double date tonight!"

Penny's face froze as she remembered. "I- I'm not in the mood to go out."

"Invite your boyfriends here! There's going to be plenty of food and fun things to do." Trish said with a grin. Tina gave her a look but agreed it was a good idea.

"I'll call Jayden, you call Frank!" Karen chirped and dashed away to the kitchen to make the private call. Penny went upstairs to get her cell to call her boyfriend.

"You might have your hands full with these two," Trish smiled at Rain.

"I'm telling you now, I'm no house mother. They are of age and seem to be fairly well adjusted young women. Frankly I'm amazed at how well they behave considering what happened to them!" she exclaimed.

"Ben made them feel loved, safe and gave their new lives structure," Tina said proudly.

"Ben wasn't the only one doing that Tina," Trish said looking her in the eye.

Tina blushed and looked away. Rain smiled at her modesty.

There was a knock on the door and Trish bounced up to her feet to answer it. She came back with Miriam and Daniel who were looking around with wide eyes and smiles. Daniel had the duffle bag with him.

Karen walked back from the kitchen and squealed happily when she saw Daniel and Miriam. She rushed over and hugged them both. Miriam grinned happily but Daniel was blushing badly when she released his face from her bosom. Karen was oblivious of her effect on him and pointed to the duffle.

"You brought the console and the driving game?" she asked.

"Uh, yeah. It's in there."

Penny arrived and gave them hugs as well. Daniel was having some difficulty focusing when she stood back and smiled at his flustered state.

"He brought the game!" Karen told her sister.

"What are we waiting for?" Penny gasped and ran for the stairs to the basement pulling Daniel along with her, Karen close behind. Miriam grinned at Trish and the others then rushed after her brother.

The front door opened and Lucy came in with Ashley and her daughters. Beth followed with her kids John and Jane. Lucy smiled at Tina. "I called Beth and she was available but Daphne is going out to dinner with Lisa and Lori. Lily is out with friends and Hannah isn't home."

"We'd better call in the order now!" Trish said with a smile.

Tina did the honors, having developed a friendship with the owner of the restaurant from their frequent conversations. The man was thrilled by the size of the order and began calling out the dishes to prepare to his staff. She finished listing the items she wanted and the man said he'd need at least ninety minutes to bring them the order. She thanked him and hung up.

The kids had all gone downstairs and could be heard laughing and shrieking with amusement.

Rain described her new workplace and what she was doing. Ashley and Beth were sitting on the floor with Joshua and Christopher playing when Lucy went to answer the doorbell. When she opened the door two police officers were standing on the doorstep.

"Good evening officers," Lucy

"Are you the homeowner?"

Lucy paused at the abrupt tone of the officer and decided to answer in like. "No."

The two men glanced at each other as Lucy stood looking back at them. The one doing the talking sighed. "May we speak with the homeowner?"

"No."

It was the officer's turn to pause. He leaned forward to peer at Lucy. "No?"

"No. He's not here."

"When will he return?"

"In a couple of days."

Trish showed up at Lucy's elbow as she'd heard the last bit of Lucy's conversation. She picked up the tension in the woman's body. "Hello boys, what's up?"

"You're not the homeowner," the talkative officer said while his partner stared openly at Trish's cleavage.

"Do I look like a man?" Trish said wrapping her arms around her stomach under her tits in the cold doorway and thrusted her chest forward, catching the eyes of both officers.

"No! No. We need to speak with the homeowner. We've received a complaint of underage drinking and sexual interference at this address."

"Who the fuck made that disgusting and ridiculous complaint?" Trish barked angrily.

Ashley showed up with Joshua on her hip with Beth standing beside her holding Christopher. "What's going on?" Ashley asked. The officers looked at each other at the addition of more women in the doorway as Rain and Tina brought up the rear.

"Someone filed a complaint of underage drinking and sexual interference at this address..." Trish called over her shoulder making the other women call out in outrage. She turned back to the officers with a puzzled look. "Wait a minute... no one was living in this house until today. We just moved the girls in a couple of hours ago. It makes no sense. Did someone..." Trish stopped talking as she stared into the darkness of the park just across the road. She ducked back inside and slipped on her boots and black leather jacket. She stepped out on the step and looked at the police officer's night stick.

"May I borrow that?" she asked.

"What? No!" the cop growled and Trish frowned at him.

"How about the flashlight? No? Just shine it across the road into the park for a second," she requested.

Looking at her in frustration he took the large flashlight from his belt and shone it across the road as Trish watched carefully.

"OK, got him, thanks!"

"Where are you going?" the officer yelled.

"I'm going to catch the one making you guys look stupid." Trish said as she set off down the driveway running. The quiet cop glanced at his partner then took off after Trish as the ladies watched the redhead break into a full out sprint and veer left. The park was really dark as the widely spaced street lights left the area before the house in shadow.

They heard yelling, some grunts, then a loud squeal sound from a deeper voice.

"They will return shortly. Invite the officer inside. It's cold out there," Tina called out from the back of the group as she turned on her crutches and made her way back to the living room. Rain and the others followed. Lucy gestured for the officer to come in but pointed to the boot tray where all of their shoes and boots sat.

The officer frowned and shook his head. Lucy opened a drawer in the table by the door and hunted for a bit. She turned to yell over her shoulder. "Where are the booties?"

A moment later Rain returned to the vestibule with a handful of the elasticized booties. Lucy took two and handed them to the officer. "The home was just renovated. The workers left us these."

The man pulled them on over his big black boots and followed Rain into the living room. He looked around in appreciation. He could hear the kids laughing and raised his eyebrow as he looked back at the ladies. Tina gestured for him to go see for himself. He went downstairs and the laughter died off. He returned after a moment with a frustrated look on his face. Penny and Karen followed him up and stood at the top of the stairs watching.

"There is no alcohol in this house and as you can see the children are well supervised by responsible adults. The complaint was false and very likely harassment of some kind," Tina said.

"Harassment? It was a fucking peeping tom paparazzi!" Trish said as she walked into the living room tugging off her jacket. She looked at the officer. "Your buddy is putting him in the backseat of your cruiser." She looked down and snorted. "Nice booties," she grinned.

With another scowl the officer left the house to join his partner.

"What happened?" Tina asked.

"It made no sense that the complaint was made so soon after we moved them into the house. It had to be someone watching the house. With all the attention on Ben and his upcoming trial I wondered what pictures of the cops standing at the front door might look like in court. Considering the nature of the complaint it was going to be messy. I was right. It was a paparazzi."

"Did you beat him up?" Rain asked wide eyed.