A Welders Tale Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Here baby take these for me, they will help." She handed Robin some pills and helped her with the glass.

"Lay her on the bed face down. Now go get the cream and bring it back." I went to the front room found her purse and removed the ointment one more time. Returning to the bedroom I found a sight that under different circumstances might have been more enjoyable. Rachel was kissing Robin's back locating each welt before kissing it. I handed her the cream but she wanted me to put it on again.

I went outside so Rachel could speak with her alone. Rachel came and got me.

Robin was sleeping, Rachel and I went into the front room.

She started coffee while I called the kids telling them I would be home later.

"Do you want to tell me what is going on?" I asked.

"David, when you made love to her the other night..."

"She told you about that?"

"Yes in her own way, she did not come out and tell me but when I asked she did not deny it. She couldn't, we have known each other and gone through too much to try and hide things now. Beside do you think you are the only one that has had sex with a relative?" She tried to hide it but I could tell this statement hit a sore spot.

"What I am about to tell you is what I know and what I think I know. Robin finally thought she had gotten through, to show you how far she would go to prove her love for you. This is just as tough for her as it is for you. Her whole life she has been trying to protect you and show you how much she loves you and the kids, and then you get mad at her about them calling her "mom", really David? Is that so terrible?

"She walked out on me when I was a baby and now she wants to take my kids from me and you are trying to tell me she was protecting me and loves me?"

"Take the kids away from you?"

"Her words, not mine, something about grandparents rights!"

"Oh no she didn't, she used those words?"

"Like I said." I was defiant now defending myself from all of the accusations thrown at me.

"How did she explain why she left you as a baby?"

"What's there to explain, she dumped me with her parents and left, end of story." I was getting really animated now as she opened old wounds.

"Oh no wonder you are so obstinate. Let me get you another cup of coffee, we have a lot to talk about."

Returning with a fresh cup she sat opposite me.

"Your mother was dating my brother, he was always a rascal even when he was young. He was so lovable, so manipulative and always so confident. Robin was not the first or last to fall under his spell but she fell in love with the thin veneer that was his charm. Remember she was only sixteen and I was not yet eighteen. When she got pregnant she started to learn his real character, not all at once just a bit at a time. He treated her worse every week and month as you grew inside. I tried to protect her only to fall into his deviant world as well.

Robin knew if she married him she would have no way to protect you from his growing physical abuse. She knew if he would abuse her and me he would do the same to you. It broke her heart but she left you with her parents at their instance as they too started seeing what a monster he really was. Her life was not always a living hell, my brother made good money at times, he needed to be seen as a good guy, and he could be. She had nice clothes, ate at nice restaurants, and drove nice cars. They lived in a great house in the better part of town. But her whole life was controlled by him, no friends, no family, no life outside of him. Robin was dependent on him for everything. Just like a kidnap victim, there comes a time when they can't think of wanting to get away, they are paralyzed.

Finally he forced her to marry him knowing she could not be forced to testify against him. He kept us under control with the threat or use of violence. I was lucky and got away early, I think she stayed only to protect you and then me. She hated that you were left behind but she also knew if you were be around him you could possibly end up dead.

When my brother was killed she was like a boat floating in an ocean with no compass. With my help and that of others she got her teaching degree. You should have seen her she was so proud. She felt she finally did something you would be proud of, to approve of her as your mother. We used to talk about what she would do when you were eighteen. When you married she was crushed, when her parents died she was devastated. She wanted so badly for you to get to know her, to see how much she really cared. Maybe if your grandparents had lived a bit longer they could have told you more knowing your father was gone. She tried at the funeral but you hated her so much!"

"She knew you needed to heal from the loss of your grandparents and decided to give you more time. Trying to heal herself, she married Darin Masters but I could tell they were not in love. Darin was a great guy but he was going through a middle age crisis. She was using him as a crutch, he was just using her. Then the house became available. They had big plans but he was caught embezzling. They divorced, he moved away, I called you. Still it took almost two years, as now you were going through your own hell with Kim."

"Still you would not bend but I had to do this for her, I was not going to lose this opportunity. Thankfully you relented. She was scared you would back out, it was me that gave her the grandparent rights bullshit. I did not know she used it."

"Let me finish before you say anything. When you and the kids came into her life she became a new person, you have no idea how much you and the kids mean to her. David she calls me daily to tell me how lucky she is. The past is behind her."

"I didn't know. I don't know what to say, I don't know how to feel." I mumbled. I was numb with sadness.

"I don't understand why she can't find someone else to love, someone that can love her" I said in exasperation.

"David, she has been thinking of nothing but you for twenty five years. She has but one goal in mind and that is for you to love her!" Rachel persisted.

"But I do love her, fuck I love her too much!" I blurted out.

"Look at it from her side, a son she was protecting, she never saw but once in twenty five years, a son she wanted to love so badly. He avoids her, right or wrong, at all costs. Then there are two grandchildren she didn't even know about except through friends and family. When you show up on her doorstep she is taken in with you, completely. Suddenly she is able to be a mother for the first time in her life to her grandchildren. You swoop in and help her turn a broken down old house into the one she dreamed about. You stay, go to work, she helps raise Blair and Chad, with you. You leave for two years, she has all the responsibility, and what has she asked for in return? Respect? Appreciation? Love?"

"But I am just a blue collar working stiff, a welder, I am nothing!" My head was spinning again, confusion became panic.

"David, you are not just a welder to her, you are her knight in shining armor. Before you came she had nothing, NOTHING! Now she has hopes, dreams, a purpose in life. You and the kid's are everything to her. EVERYTHING!

"Rachel, do you realize what you are saying?" I struggled to say it.

"I know perfectly well what I am saying! The question is what are you going to do about it? You can pretend to hide your feelings but we both know the truth. Robin knows the truth, she has given up all dignity to make it easy for you, still..."

I am not sure I can do this, what if I fuck it up again like this? What if it doesn't work? What will she do next time?" I waved my hand in the direction of the room. "I can't afford to lose her again, it is not worth the risk. I need to think, I need to go!"

"Do you love her?"

"I think I do, but is it love or lust is it sympathy or apathy. What about the kids? How do I tell them I am sleeping with my mother, their grandmother! Do I continue to lie? Shit as far as I know they still do not know who she really is? I wanted to tell them from the beginning, but never did, if I do how can I be with her again? If I take them from her it would hurt them as much as it would her. Are they ever going to trust me again? Do they now? If she was anybody but my mother I could handle it but she is. I can't change that. Every time she looks me in the eye I just want to pull her close and never let go, and yet I know the train wreck will only get bigger and more people will get hurt the longer this charade plays out. I know she loves me, I knew it the first time we met I knew it the first time she held me close, I knew it the moment she ...well you get the idea."

"David you have had a rough night, leave her here and I will talk to you in the morning."

I got up to leave and was headed out the door when something popped back into my brain.

"Rachel, you said you got a phone call, who was it?" The room went silent.

"David I don't know. He didn't say and I did not think to ask."

"Curious? " I left her there as puzzled as I was.

The drive back home was met with several questions from Chad and Blair when I arrived. I did not lie I just told them that Robin would not be home for a few days. Thinking I was mad at her I was not a welcome person as they blamed me for her absence. That morning Blair was not curled up in my bed. I called Rachel in the morning and explained what I had to do. She was not happy but knew she had little chance of changing my mind.

I did not wait for Robin to come home before I left, I knew if I did I would not make the trip. I left notes behind for the kid's, and a special one for Robin.

I was gone only a week before her first letter arrived. I had refused to read any of the ones she sent me when I was a child. I have written return to sender one hundred and fifty times or more from the time I could read until the last letter arrived.

I knew before I opened the envelope what it would say. "My dearest", brought the first tear. "The children will not be better without you, you should know better than anybody" brought the flood. I had passed up all offers for leave instead preferring to concentrate on work. Even Sparky made comments, the last time insisting I go home. Still I stayed. Blair was going to be fourteen soon, I was scheduled to be off but I passed again. Robin's next letter begged me not to miss these important occasions, I cried all night.

I was called to the office at once. The head boss of the project was there as was Sparky. "

"Nickel you and Sparky are going home." He explained.

"When sir?" I asked.

"Right now, you leave in thirty minutes."

"Can I ask why?" I was concerned.

"No, but I can say this, no one has died or is gravely ill." He turned and left.

I went to my locker and packed my belongings and met Sparky at a waiting car. A charter plane was waiting for us at the airport. In less than eight hours I was setting in the lobby of Mr. Clark's office.

The door opened and I was invited in.

"David, good to see you."

"Mr. Clark." We shook hands.

""David you remember Robert and Carol." I shook their hands. "This is Lieutenant Brooks from the county sheriffs dept." We shook hands.

"Sir is there a problem?" I asked Mr. Clark. I was worried now.

"Lieutenant Brooks will take it from here?"

"David we have arrested your son Chad."

"On what charge?" I burst out.

"Relax if you can. I will explain it all. On possession of marijuana, off campus. He was in lock up and since you are his only legal guardian we could not release him, ... to let me see... Robin Masters." I started to get up but Mr. Clark motioned for me to set back down. "Your employer intervened and he is at home with Robin right now, you will need to bring him by the station tomorrow, Mr. Clark guaranteed us you would. I would like to ask you a few questions as this case seems very odd. Do you know if your son has ever used weed?"

"Well I am not home that often but my answer is no, if Robin knew I am sure she would have told me."

That is the odd part, your son purchased the weed from an undercover narc we planted in the school. In talking to our plant he claims your son has never purchased before from any supplier. Your son's friends say the same, in fact we learned that your sons friends knew he was a plant and yet Chad still purchased the stuff. Don't you find it a bit odd?" Lieutenant Brooks asked.

"Then the local police were called by some young girl from a pay phone and told them your son had weed. We looked at a video for that phone and the young lady bears a striking resemblance to your daughter, a, ... Blair?" The officer was looking at her notes. "Do you have any comment?"

I looked around the room to see if I was the only one surprised by this story, Carol was slowly shaking her head "no".

"I am sorry officer but I am as confused as you are!"

"Well thank you Mr. Nichol's I look forward to seeing you tomorrow. Lieutenant Brooks, left the room.

"Carol tell David what you told us." Mr. Clark spoke.

"Chad is not in serious trouble, at least as far as the law is concerned." She smiled at me."He will be arraigned, he will plead no contest, he will be placed on probation. If he stays clean his records will be expunged when he is eighteen and the matter will be over legally. I have written down a good lawyer, I suggest you call her. If he makes a second mistake all bets are off."

"There will not be any second mistakes." I explained.

"Good, now let's get you home, but first I would like a private word with you David." Mr. Clark replied. Robert and Carol left the room. "David if you are as smart as I think you are, you know what is going on here?" I nodded in agreement.

"Word has it that you have been faced with a seeming insurmountable dilemma. I want you to go home and take a week off, better yet take a month off, your son, daughter and your mother need you!"

"My mother?" I was stunned when he mentioned her.

"Come, come David, truly you do not think we would let you work with the projects you do without doing a complete back ground check, and I mean complete. And yes before you try and deny it we know how far that ship has sailed shall we say it delicately. In fact I am led to believe it would be in our best interest as well as yours and Robin's, if I may be so bold, if the ship was, let's say on a more permanent dock." He smiled I did not.

"I have been talking to the cruise directors and I might have some encouraging news on that front, very encouraging when you decide. Well enough of that, back to young Chad. David I am no expert, far from it but this is a very critical point in a young man's life. I believe this is a wakeup call, lord knows I wish someone had given me one. One month, no less, I will be in touch. David you are a very important person to this company, you have done some amazing things. I have plans for you, so get your head out of your ass and keep this woman happy." This time I smiled as he said it.

"Mr. Clark before I go, will you tell your son Sparky I want to thank him for everything he has done for me, with your support of course." I started walking out the door.

"My son?" He replied.

"Come, come Mr. Clark, you don't think I would come work for a company like this without doing a complete back ground check, and I mean complete." I smiled at him now. "Thank you and thank your son."

The cab dropped me off at the front drive, I tipped the driver and headed for the door. Robin was there her eyes red from crying.

"David wait! It's all my fault, please stop!" I had not even made it to the steps when she started protecting him.

"This is all your fault? Really?" Chad and Blair were behind the screened door looking on. Chad's fists were clenched he looked ready to attack.

"Yes, Yes it was me!" She was desperate now, I had just one more step to clear, she moved in front of me, but I could see the door start to open. I bound the last step and put my arms around her waist and pulled her close.

"We will see about that!" I wanted to kiss her so bad but not yet not until I was sure.

Chad burst through the door ready to fight, he stopped dead in his tracks as I moved around her putting myself between them. Chad was a bright boy but not as smart as Blair. He was protective though, like me, I was hoping my move would diffuse his desire to fight me. But like his old man he was stubborn, and this was one fight he was not going to be denied.

"Leave her alone, If you have a problem see me, I am your problem now mister!" I could see his face turn crimson he was so mad! Chad might even give me a good shot or two.

"So I have been told. But you are not the one I am here to see right now. No I am looking for the mastermind of this little game she has you playing." I looked through the screen and saw Blair stare back at me. Slowly a smirk crossed her face.

I stepped forward. Chad backed up to the door willing to give his life up if needed for his sister. He had done so at school and was willing to do it here.

"Not another step... liar!" Chad spat at me. Now it was my turn to smirk.

"Chad you cannot talk to your father like that!" Robin started forward.

I turned to Robin so only she could see my face.

"Go to your room Robin! I need to talk to our children!" I winked hoping she knew I was not really mad. She started to say something but I cut her off. "Robin go now!"

"You're a liar and we know it." Chad threatened.

"And how do you know it?" I replied. Chad said nothing, then looked back at Blair.

"So who is hiding the truth now?" I challenged them. Robin had not moved waiting to hear more.

The smirk on my face continued as I focused on Blair.

"She loves you!" Blair's voice cracked as she spoke.

"And I love her, more than you could..." I hesitated confirming my thoughts. "But you do know don't you?" Chad again looked back at Blair but held his ground.

"But you left her, you left us!" Blair responded. I could see her eyes well up.

"You have read the letters haven't you? You know why she left me then!" I replied.

"Letters what letter...Oh David. NNNNNOOooooo!" Robin's voice trailed off. I pulled her from behind me. Tears were flowing again, she looked away from me trying to hide her embarrassment. I pulled her close so I could whisper in her ear.

"I need to talk to OUR children!" Robin instantly turned to look me in the eye checking to see if I indeed meant what I repeated. "Please go to your room, trust me." I nodded in the direction of the door. Slowly she slipped from my hands and entered the house gently touching each of the children.

"She left because she loved you, you left because you could, to be with one of those tramps!" Blair defiantly trying to explain Robin's actions. Blair struggled to understand how I could love someone so much and leave them behind. Robin was finally figuring this all out, she looked back to me and moved close to Blair taking her hand.

"No honey, your father loves you so much...he loves me so much that he could not bear to see us apart. Don't you see? He knows as his mother we could never be together, he knows he would have to take you both from me. He knows that you would blame him if you left me and hate him forever, just like you do now. Don't you see he loves us so much he is willing to go away just so we can be together?" Robin pulled Blair tight. "That is why it is I that must go!"

Blair and now Chad were in tears, they knew there was nothing they could say.

"Robin ..."

"No David this is your family, I am their grandmother, not their mother. It is time we fix this once and for all. I have made my decision, and that is final" Robin then did as I had asked earlier and went to her room.

"Dad you need to fix this!" Blair wailed seeing her walk away.

"Can we take this indoors, I would like to say something and the neighbors are starting to watch.

1...345678