An Unexpected Family Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As she got out of the car, a man saw her from across the street. He crossed the street quickly.

"Bérénice! Marshall Pelletier! Are you OK?"

"Marshall! I didn't recognize you at first. I had to leave because of the fire. A state trooper helped us leave. Robert is missing!"

"Good, God! Here, let me help you with the children."

"We don't have anything, we left so quick. I left my phone! I can't call Robert!" She broke down into tears.

Marshall took her into her arms and just held her.

"Mommy!"

"Yes. OK, sweetie. We need to go to the church."

"I've got the children, Bérénice," Marshall said. "Let's go. Take our time because the lines are long at Sacred Heart."

As they approached Sacred Heart, the crowds were large. Tents had been set up on the grounds around the church. Bérénice hadn't seen anything like it.

"Bérénice!"

Bérénice turned to see her former high school math teacher and volleyball coach, Mrs. Landry. She was briskly walking toward her.

"Are you OK?" she asked.

"Robert is missing," Bérénice replied softly.

"Oh, my God! Oh, Dear God! Come with me, Sweetie. I'm going to get you registered. I'm praying hard right now. Real hard."

Chapter 9

"How's the knee, Caron?"

Jack looked up from the seat in front of his locker. Bill Ocher was looking down on him.

"Good, I'm good. Karen thinks it's a minor strain. Maybe a little bruised. I did wind sprints this afternoon. A little stiff, but, I can play. It's not painful. Just sore."

"Good!" he barked. "I didn't see your name on the injury list. That 3-4-3 double play you turned last night was great." With that, he turned to talk to the other players.

Jack shook his head. All business, that Bill, he thought. "Thanks."

A few minutes later, Jack was tying his shoes and saw a pair of cleats and leggings stop right next to his. He slowly looked up and found his teammate grinning ear to ear.

Jack leaned back into his chair and tilted his head... waiting on a comment... from his second baseman, Clyde Harris.

They stared each other down, waiting on the other to start a conversation.

"OK, Clyde. I need to warm up. What is it?"

"Thanks for making me look good last night on that 3-4-3 double last night. How's the knee?"

Jack grinned and shook his head. "I think I need you to pay me each time I make you look good out there. What's it up to now? Twenty or more times? When are you going to learn to throw a ball straight where I don't have to leap or stretch for it?" he chuckled. "The knee's fine. Karen cleared me."

"Sorry about that. You ready. I want to warm up with you tonight." Clyde offered his huge black hand to help Jack rise from his chair. Jack took it and rose to his feet.

As the two friends and teammates left the dugout, Clyde gestured for Jack to follow him.

"Let's warm up over here," Clyde offered.

Jack frowned a little. Something's up, he thought. Clyde has never done this before.

"What gives, Clyde?" Jack groaned.

"Diane Fitzpatrick called me last night. Asking about you."

Jack arched his eyebrows in surprise.

"Yeah... She said she saw you slide into second last night and knew you hurt your leg. She wanted to know if you were injured. I told her I didn't think so."

"She has your phone number? I didn't know that."

"Yeah... Jack, I swear, every time I talk to her she brings you up in conversation. I mean, like... every, damn, time. She never talks about anyone, like she does you. Wants to know how you're doing. She even asked if you had a girlfriend. I think she may have it in for you like no one else."

Clyde paused a second or two to decide if he should reveal information to Jack.

"We hooked up a few times. She's one sexy woman. A wildcat in the bedroom," he whispered.

Jack tilted his head and furled his brow a little. "You better be careful, Clyde. You'll find yourself in divorce court with Marion."

Clyde paused again. To assess Jack's trustworthiness.

"Diane and I hooked up with Marion," he whispered, more softly. "Don't tell anyone, OK?"

Jack was shocked with surprise. And it showed on his face, and Clyde saw it.

He knew Diane was an expert when it came to carnal knowledge with men. A man's dream come true. Everything he learned about sex, she taught him in 2 weeks flat. Women was the surprise. He didn't know that about her. At least, no one said anything.

Chapter 10

"This is McClennan County Sheriff Office patrol 107. Investigating the missing person. County road 1476 and county road H. Over."

"10-4 patrol 107. Stay in radio contact in case of an emergency need. Over."

"10-4, over," Deputy Sheriff Pruitt replied.

It already doesn't look good, he thought.

A burned out pickup truck with an attached trailer. He got out of his Chevy Tahoe police cruiser and approached the pickup in the pasture, looking inside the cabin and the bed of the truck. Nothing but burned out truck.

He walked all around the truck and trailer. Nothing. He looked under the truck. Again, nothing.

He looked all around. Damn, he thought. Nothing but black char as far as you can see.

He looked to the east and southeast to the tree line and could see dead and charred cattle. He took out his note pad and recorded the license plate numbers from the truck and trailer. Then, he walked back to his cruiser.

He released the rear door on the cruiser to get his binoculars. He stepped onto the fold down rear door of the cruiser. He began a sweep with his binoculars at the far east corner of the pasture where he saw the dead cattle. It didn't take long... He saw a burned out ATV and a lump next to it near the fence. "DAMN!" he said, out loud.

He continued a visual sweep along the tree line in the distance from the east corner to the south corner. More dead cattle. Again, he visually swept the south fence line. Burned out pasture... no cattle.

He closed the rear door of the SUV. As he was driving along the road toward the ATV sighting, Deputy Pruitt reflected on the day's activities. He heard, through the radio reports, there were 7 confirmed dead and 15 missing from the wildfire. He was investigating one of the missing. Air surveillance indicated a scorched path 5 miles wide and 45 miles long. One of the worst wildfires in state history.

Please, Jesus, don't let this be what I think it is, he thought. 21 year old, Deputy Pruitt stopped on the side of the road, got out of the cruiser, and walked over to the burned out fence. After he peeked over the fallen barbed wire fence, he said out loud, "Jesus, I need your strength. Give me your strength, please."

He crossed the fence and cautiously approached the ATV. Taking great care not to disturb the area and looking for anyone in addition to the single missing person reported. He rounded the ATV and his heart sank.

"Oh, God!" he cried out loud. "Let the family of this man have peace in their heart!"

Chapter 11

Bérénice was distraught and inconsolable. She found out Robert did not arrive to the Farm Bureau meeting in Waco. He hadn't answered phone calls from his parents, either. Her parents came to Sacred Heart and took her and her children home with them. It was getting near dusk and she hadn't eaten all day.

Her father went to the door when the doorbell rang.

She overheard from the other room...

"Hello, Frank."

"Evening, George."

"Is Bérénice here?"

Her father didn't answer.

Oh, God! she thought.

Her mother came rushing into the room and took her into her arms. Her father came into the room, followed by Sheriff Belanger.

"Bérénice... We found Robert," Sheriff Belanger paused. "I'm so sorry, Bérénice."

Chapter 12

"OUT!"

"Yes," Jack said, out loud, after receiving a throw from Parker at third base.

He tossed the ball to the pitcher's mound and jogged over to the first base dugout, catching a warm up ball from the equipment manager before he entered the dugout. He was on deck for the next inning.

While Baker was at bat, he warmed up with bat weights in the on deck circle. He glanced over to Ocher just when he was receiving a slip a paper from a man he didn't know. He didn't think much about it, but, noticed Ocher frown when he read the paper. Ocher looked to the sky and placed the paper into his back pocket. He then turned to the man and mouthed a few words to him. The man left the dugout and went into the locker room.

CRACK!

Yes! he thought. Baker got a single just over the third baseman's reach.

Jack stepped into the left side batter's box and took his practice swings. The Royals were ahead 5-3 in the bottom of the eighth. The A's pitcher took his stretch and delivered an unbelievable softball right over the plate. Jack couldn't believe his eyes this pitch was so easy.

CRACK!

First pitch home run over the right center field fence. The home crowd went wild with their approval.

Damn, he thought. Jack wasn't known for his power. He was more a placement hitter. He rarely hit home runs. This was his first homer this season.

He was met with congratulations in the dugout by each teammate. Coaches, too. Ocher gave him a nod and smiled.

After the game, Jack was dressing after his shower. He just finished tying his shoes, when Ocher stopped by and waited for him.

"Finished?"

"Yeah," Jack replied.

"Follow me," Ocher commanded.

Shit, Jack thought. I'm being traded again. Not Toronto... Not Toronto.

When Ocher opened the door to his office, Jack knew it wasn't good.

"Have a seat, Jack," Ocher said, as he gestured to a chair.

Ocher didn't sit in his chair, as he usually did. He sat and leaned against his desk in front of Jack.

"Jack, this is a first for me. I apologize if it isn't right." Ocher paused and dipped his head. Then he looked at Jack.

"Your parents called and left a message at the front office. Your brother Robert passed away today. I understand it was sudden. I am sorry for your loss."

Jack snapped to his feet in shock.

Robert! he thought. My brother. Bérénice. John and Patrice. Mom and Dad. My brother. The best friend I ever had... Gone? ... Really gone?

Jack nodded without a word. A tear formed in his left eye. His heart skipped a beat. An enormous lump formed in his throat and chest.

Ocher let a minute or two pass before he spoke again.

"Mr. March has given you the use of his private jet. It is waiting for you at Independence Field. You have six days off. Go to your family, Jack. A limousine is waiting for you now."

Chapter 13

Jack called his father from the limousine, despite the late hour. It was well after 11:00 pm.

"How, Dad?" he sighed.

"Robert was checking on the cattle for the Trudeau's. We'd been having a windstorm for nearly 30 hours, with low humidities. A range fire broke out and swept across 3 counties. Robert didn't have a chance to escape it. The Sheriff says he likely passed out from the smoke and then..."

"Dad, it's OK. I'm on my way to Reims and I have six days off. I will be there tomorrow morning. I will be going to the Ouellet (wah-LEHT) home first to see Bérénice and the kids. Can you meet me there? I'll call you when I leave Waco."

"Of course, Son. We need you, Jack."

Chapter 14

Jack didn't get any sleep. He didn't sleep on the plane, and the plane didn't get to Waco until after 3 am. He didn't sleep any in the Waco hotel room, either.

He didn't know how he would be able to face Bérénice. Or, his mother and father.

Driving the 35 miles to Reims, Jack reflected on his childhood and teens years with Robert and Bérénice.

Robert and Bérénice were inseparable. And he knew, because his older brother, by 13 months, always included him in their activities. And, Bérénice included him as a result. He and Bérénice became very close friends. Robert fell in love with Bérénice immediately. But, Jack fell in love with her over the years, watching the two of them interact with each other. Robert and Bérénice held hands every opportunity. He couldn't remember a time the two of them weren't holding hands.

He wept when the two of them went to Baylor University after high school. Bérénice was a varsity volleyball player and she was good; All Conference. Robert walked onto the baseball team and was a bench player the four years of college. He saw action as a pinch runner and pinch hitter often and occasionally started in the outfield.

When Jack was offered a scholarship to Texas Tech for baseball, Bérénice and Robert were ecstatic. It was a delight to see Bérénice in the stands and to play against his brother on the diamond. Jack always made it a point to see Bérénice when the Baylor volleyball team came to Lubbock.

Jack was drafted in the first round of his sophomore year and went immediately to the minors, working his way quickly to Triple A baseball, and was finally called up to the Miami Marlins within a year.

Robert and Bérénice graduated with honors and returned to Reims to marry and start a family. They bought an old farm house and 160 acres. After four years, they were still working on the house, when...

"Oh, God, I'm going to miss him," he sobbed out loud.

A few minutes passed and his phone rang.

"Oh, Jack! I just heard. I am so sorry. What can I do?" Diane pleaded.

With a weak voice from his sobbing, he replied, "You can help me reschedule our lunch date. I'm sorry I won't be able to see you today, Diane. I'm just a few miles from Reims, now."

"You silly, man. Of course I'll reschedule," she cried. "I'll be waiting for you when you return. We'll just talk. I promise."

"Thank you, Diane. I'll need that talk."

Chapter 15

Bérénice was inconsolable. The only people she would see were her children, her parents, and her mother and father in law. Bérénice's mother called the doctor to encourage Bérénice to eat. For the baby's sake.

"Bérénice, Sweetie. You have to eat and drink," Dr. Martel insisted, after completing her examination of Bérénice. "You understand why, don't you?"

"It's so hard to do anything when your heart is broken," Bérénice whispered, in a sob.

Dr. Martel took her into her arms and groomed her hair and face to soften the heart break.

Then, outside, Bérénice and Dr. Martel heard a small commotion in the front yard. A welcoming commotion.

*****

Jack parked his rental car a few houses down from the Ouellet home. As he stepped up onto the sidewalk, his father saw him and began walking to meet him halfway.

They embraced in sorrow when they met, and they held each other for a minute or two.

John, Jack's father, spoke first. "Bérénice won't eat. We're all worried sick."

"But, the baby," Jack asserted.

"Yeah... She's with the doctor now. Hopefully, Dr. Martel can encourage her."

"Jack!"

Jack looked up to see his mother walking briskly toward him. He raced to meet her as quickly as he could. "I miss him, Mom. I so miss him."

*****

"It's Jack Caron," her mother whispered.

"Jack? Jack is here?" Bérénice began sobbing. She rose from her bed and entered the living room. "Jack?"

Jack turned to face her with heart break written all over his face. He looked nearly like her dead husband, she thought. And, it was that image that caused her to nearly collapse. But, the men nearby caught her, and placed her into a nearby chair.

Jack knelt at her feet and took her into his arms.

"I'm here, Bérénice."

Chapter 16

When they each finished their uncontrollable sobs. Jack rose and positioned himself on his knees next to the chair. With a forced smile, he took her hand and pleaded.

"Bérénice... You have to eat... Please. Your baby needs you now. More than ever. Robert's baby needs you."

"Jack, I feel like the life has been taken out of me. I can't reason anything. I can't get the image of him leaving the house for the last time out of my mind. It's unbearable."

Jack turned to the small gathering in the living room. "Someone get me some orange juice, please. And, some crackers."

Dr. Martel returned from the kitchen with the order.

"Bérénice... Drink this right now... Sips only," he ordered softly, with the juice in his hand.

She tried to smile. A moment or two later, she reached for the glass, and... took a sip.

A sigh of relief could be heard in the room.

"The baby is moving," she whispered.

Dr. Martel said, "Your baby just got fed. The sugar in the juice. Baby Caron likes it."

Jack nodded in approval. "Small snacks all day long, Bérénice. Please?"

Chapter 17

"You changed when Jack arrived," her mother said.

"Yes... My, God, Mama. He looks so much like Robert. I feel... I feel reassured with him. It's like Robert is here with us," Bérénice whispered.

"I would give anything if Jack could stay with us," her mother replied. "With you. With John and Patrice."

Bérénice considered her mother's words. It would be nice for him to stay, she thought. She had missed him.

Chapter 18

Jack sat next to Bérénice during the Mass and the graveside service. She held her children close the entire time, never letting them wonder too far away from her.

Jack had never seen such heartbreak in the face of another. It was the most miserable of expressions he had ever seen. He had never seen Bérénice like this before. She had been so happy with his brother and her children.

When Bérénice and Jack returned to her parents' home, she stopped and faced him.

"When do you have to leave?" she whispered.

"Wednesday. I have to be in Seattle that evening," Jack replied.

"Mama said I changed when you arrived, and, she was right. When I saw you Jack, I felt like everything would be better after that day." She paused. "I love you and Robert. I love both of you," she sobbed.

Jack nodded softly to her comment. "I love you, too, Bérénice." He paused to measure his words. "If I can help you, I want to. I have the means. I may not be able to help all the time because of my career, but, when I can, I want to help you, John, and Patrice. Anything. Anything at all." He paused again. "Your house is gone. I want to help if you want to rebuild. Or, if you want to live here, I want to help you buy something. Bérénice, we... You, Robert, and me. We did so many things together. If you want me back into your life, I want to be there."

Bérénice reached and caressed his cheek and softly nodded.

"I may take you up on all of that," she whispered. "I don't want to make any decisions until a little time has passed. Until the ache has softened, and my mind has cleared from the shock. I may want to just hear your voice on the phone. OK?"

He nodded.

He reached into his pocket and placed a credit card into her hand.

"What's this?" she asked, with a furled brow and confusion in her eyes.

"My credit card," he announced firmly. "You are an authorized user. Your name is on the card and I had it overnighted to give to you. You've lost everything you own, Bérénice. You're going to need clothes, diapers, cribs, toys, everything. And you can contribute to your father and mother while you stay with them. Food, electricity, and such. There's a $20,000 limit on the card. Anything you need... Anything, mind you... You are to buy for you and your children. My niece and nephew. And, I won't have any discussion about this. I care too much to leave without helping the three of you. We're family... we are still family."

Through her tears, she said, "I don't know what to say." She looked into his eyes and saw Robert. "OK... Thank you."

She embraced him and Jack returned the embrace.

Chapter 19

After Jack left for Seattle, her father sat with her in the kitchen.

"You can stay here as long as you like," he offered.

"Thank you, Daddy. I don't know how long it will be. It was so much easier working out the difficult decisions with Robert. He was always patient. Now... I have to do it without him."

123456...8