An Unexpected Family Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jack arched an eyebrow.

"Jack, I'm happy for you. The settling down part," Marion offered. She looked around to make sure no one was nearby to overhear. "I have to say this to you... I can't help it. Diane didn't give me any details, but, she did lead me to believe... well... how loving you are." She giggled and paused to gauge Jack's reaction. Jack furled his eyebrows. "I know Clyde has told you about us, and Diane. And I hinted a few minutes ago... about our friend. I asked Clyde if you would be interested in... you know... some fun. He told me he wasn't interested because you two are teammates. And, he's right. We don't play with teammates. But, if I were to break that rule... Well... It would be with you." She winked at him.

She leaned back in her chair and smiled as wide as the table in front of them. She got the reaction she wanted from Jack and chuckled.

Jack's mouth fell open. Clyde turned to him and wiggled an approving eyebrow. A moment or two later, the two of them rose from their seats to leave.

"What time will you be at the ballpark?" Clyde asked. "I want to warm up with you today."

"About 2," Jack replied. "I'm going over the recent scouting reports for the pitchers and batters. We can warm up about 3:30 before the game starts at 6."

"Great," Clyde replied.

Jack rose from his seat as Marion approached him. She leaned in to whisper in his ear, "Jack, if you change your mind... About settling, down."

She then kissed him hard on the lips.

Chapter 39

Bérénice was getting ready for lunch with Jack. She was picking out earrings, a necklace, and bracelets for the royal blue sleeveless sheath dress she bought with Jack's money. She was wearing matching pumps, which would make her nearly as tall as Jack, who was 6 feet 3 inches. Her black hair was up in the same messy ponytail she wore the previous day. Jack had complimented her hair style the day before.

She woke up that morning when her alarm went off at 5:30 am and found Jack missing from her bed. She soon found his note in the bathroom and returned to bed.

She rose at 7:00 am, dressed in a t-shirt and jeans, and retrieved her children from Mrs. Landry's room. She nursed Amélie, got her children dressed, changed diapers on Patrice and Amélie, and went to the buffet breakfast in the hotel dining room with her children. She ate with her parents, in-laws, her friends, Marie and Louise, and their husbands, and Mrs. Landry. She knew Jack would still be sleeping in his room.

She was placing the last bracelet on her wrist when a knock came to her door.

She opened the door to find Jack, smiling as wide as the hallway. My, God, she thought. He looks so handsome in that suit. The same suit as yesterday, but with a clean shirt and different tie.

As Jack approached her for a hug, he said, "You're beautiful, Bérénice. Stunning. I love your dress."

As they held each other, she whispered, "You better like the dress, you paid for it." She giggled. "Jack, I swear. You are so handsome this morning. Thank you for last night."

Jack pulled away a little after his hug and looked her in the eye. "Thank you. I enjoyed it. You, know... that's the first for you and me." His expression to her turned solemn. "I'm having a hard time concentrating on baseball because of you. And, I think you know why."

Before Bérénice could respond...

"Uncle Jack!"

Jack smiled as he released Bérénice. He knelt and lifted nearly four year old John into his arms.

"There's my replacement at first base! John? Have you been minding your manners for Mrs. Landry?"

"Yes. We have been playing games. She knows lots of games. I'm better at them than Patrice."

"John, that won't last long. Don't brag," Jack chuckled. "She'll be beating you at the games when you least expect it."

"Unk ee, Jack!" two year old Patrice chirped, as she was steadying her balance on his pants leg. Bérénice picked up her daughter to see Jack.

"You are so pretty, Patrice. You'll be beating John at these games before you know it," Jack replied. "Patrice... Where is Amélie? I need to give her a hug and kiss."

Patrice wiggled out of her mother's arms and her mother complied. "Ober dare. Sissy is ober dare." She ran to the floor crib and pointed inside. "EeMeEe is here," she chirped.

Jack grinned as he set John down and followed Patrice. He reached into the crib to find a sleeping Amélie and cradled her in his arms. "She's beautiful," he sighed. He looked up to Bérénice and smiled. "Beautiful... You, Patrice, and Amélie."

Bérénice hugged his arm firmly and hummed her approval. "Thank you, Jack. Are you ready for lunch?"

Chapter 40

Jack followed the maître d' into the dining area with his family following him. He was carrying Patrice and Bérénice was by his side carrying Amélie. His parents, Mrs. Landry, and Bérénice's parents were with him. A few minutes later, Marie and Louise, Bérénice's friends, and their husbands joined them. Jack had reserved the tables in advance.

As Jack entered the dining area, some of the players, coaches, and even Bill Ocher noticed their entrance and waved to Jack and his family. They wondered who the beautiful and exotic young woman was. They took note she was nearly as tall as Jack.

Jack made sure Bérénice sat next to him. He thanked everyone for coming to see him play and asked if they were enjoying their time in Arlington. The women had plans to shop in Dallas that day and the men planned to visit Cowboy Stadium and the Texas Motor Speedway north of Fort Worth.

After lunch, Jack spoke up. "Thank you everyone. For being here, and coming to see me. I miss you and everyone in Reims. More so now, because of Robert. I want to thank Marie, Louise, and their families, Mrs. Landry and her husband, for stepping up to be with Bérénice when she needed it the most. As most of you know, Bérénice and I have been close since we were children. I so wish I could be with you, Bérénice; to offer comfort. I am grateful, to everyone here at this table, for giving yourselves to Bérénice when I couldn't be there for her. I will miss all of you when you leave tomorrow."

Everyone gave a soft clap and Bérénice hugged his arm. Jack rose and said goodbye to each of them before he had to leave for the ballpark. Mrs. Landry hugged his neck and kissed him on the cheek. "We are watching after Bérénice," she whispered. "Because of you."

Jack smiled and thanked her.

As everyone left the dining room, Bérénice, with Amélie in her arms, stopped Jack to speak with him privately.

"I know you are going to be here another two days. Would it be OK with you if I sent the children home with Mama and Daddy? So we could spend some time alone?"

Jack's heart jumped with joy. "Bérénice, those are the sweetest words I've ever heard. Yes... I've missed you so much because of Robert. I've ached to be with you and to comfort you. Call me or send me a message and tell me your plans."

Bérénice leaned in to whisper, "May I stay with you?" She smiled and waited for an answer. Jack set Patrice down on the floor, reached into his pocket, and gave Bérénice the electronic key to his room.

"I'll get another key at the desk," he said with a wink.

"I'll have the children tonight," Bérénice began. "Will you come to our room? We can talk... whisper while they sleep."

"Absolutely," Jack said, with a smile. "It takes me about an hour and a half after the game to get back to the hotel. The dining room closes before I get back, so I'm going to IHOP and bring something back to the room. Send me a message after the game if you want me to pick something up for you."

Jack kissed her quickly on the lips and picked up Patrice. He then followed Bérénice back to her room before he left for the ballpark.

Chapter 41

"Mama, I asked Jack if I could stay another two days. To be with him and talk."

Amélie Ouellet, Bérénice's mother, was looking through a dress rack at Neiman Marcus with her daughter and only child.

"Oh?" her mother giggled. "Why am I not surprised? Sweetie... I understand. You need to be with Jack. The two of you lost someone you both loved. It will be good for you and Jack to be together."

"Thank you, Mama," Bérénice replied. "I was afraid you would think the worst. Would you mind if..."

Her mother cut her off. "And yes, I will take the children back to Reims while you are with Jack." She smiled as wide as the dress rack. "The worst, you say. Bérénice... Everyone in Reims knows you and the Caron boys were inseparable. They never gave it another thought, because, everyone knew you loved them both. They expect you to be with Jack. Your father and I expect you to be with Jack. Jack will be good for you, Bérénice. Good for you and your children. Go to him."

Bérénice began to cry. She looked at her mother, Amélie, who was as tall as herself. Amélie nodded her approval. She placed the dress back on the rack and took her mother in an embrace. They held each other for a minute or two until the tears from each of them subsided.

"Thank you, Mama. I needed to hear that from you."

Chapter 42

Jack walked into the IHOP expecting to see other players and there were a few there. He sat down, ordered take out, and visited with his teammates. The Royals pulled off a miracle against the Rangers just two hours ago.

In the top of the 7th inning, with the bases loaded, 2 outs, and the Royals behind 6-1, Jack hit a curve ball just over the 1st basemen's reach and the ball died. It rolled slowly all the way to the first base side stands. The first baseman, second baseman, and the right fielder raced to retrieve the stopped ball. The second baseman reached the ball first and threw a missile to second. Jack had cleared the bases for three runs and slid into second for a double, just missing the tag. The score was now 6-4. The next batter, Joseph Malone, hit a 2-2 count home run into the left field seats, tying the score 6-6.

Both teams went scoreless until the top of the 9th, when the leadoff hitter, 2nd baseman, Clyde Harris; not known for homers; smacked a lead off, first pitch shot barely clearing the fence in left field. The Rangers couldn't match the run, and the Royals, with 6 unanswered runs, won 7-6.

"Hey, Jack," his teammate, Wilson Abbott barked. "I saw you at lunch today. Family?"

"Yeah... They drove up to see me play. Some friends were there, too. I invited them 3 weeks ago," Jack replied.

"Yeah, I saw you, too, Jack," Mitchell Elliot spoke up. "The woman you were with... She's hot. Your sister?"

Jack chuckled. "She is hot, Elliot. Not my sister... My sister in... LAW. My brother's wife."

Mitchell's expression suddenly changed. "Oh, shit, Jack. I didn't mean... I forgot about your brother, man. I'm sorry if..."

Jack cut him off with a shake of his head and a wave of his hand.

"It's OK... Bérénice and I are trying to move on. We both loved Robert. Forget it, OK?"

"Thanks, man. I feel like an ass. Sorry."

Chapter 43

Bérénice unlocked and blocked the door open for Jack when he called to say he was on his way up... She didn't want to wake up the children with a knock on the door.

Jack tip toed in and set the take out meal on the table, unloading the sacks as quietly as he could. Patrice stirred a tiny bit with the rustling of the sacks, but, fell back to sleep.

Jack and Bérénice sat across from each other and whispered as they ate.

"They are so cute, Bérénice. Especially Patrice and Amélie," Jack offered.

Bérénice smiled at his comment. "They are cute. You're lucky though, Jack. Patrice and Amélie fell asleep 20 minutes ago. They were playing with each other until Patrice collapsed next to Amélie on the floor. Amélie a minute later. John watched the game on TV and he pointed you out every time you appeared on the screen. He passed out in the 5th inning. He missed your hit in the 7th."

"What about you, Bérénice?" Jack asked. "How is their mother?"

"I'm doing better, Jack. I still miss Robert, but I miss you, too. You were a welcome relief when you came to Reims in May. It felt like everything would be better. And the money you gave me was a Godsend. Thank you," she said, with a smile and a tiny tear on her cheek.

Jack reached across the table and took her hand into his. "You want to stay for two more nights. Can we discuss it?"

Bérénice paused and dipped her chin to collect her thoughts.

"I've missed you, Jack. Since Robert's death, a day hasn't gone by I haven't thought of you. I have mixed emotions. I have a husband, who I love so much, and I have a brother in law, who I love so much, too. We... you, Robert and me... We have a wonderful relationship with each other. Now that Robert is gone, I need you. I need a shoulder to cry on and to hold you. I need you to hold me, too. It's... It's been so hard being alone."

Jack rose from his chair, knelt, and took Bérénice into his arms. "How's this?" he mused. Then, he whispered in her ear, "I have missed you, too. You are the reason I invited you and your friends to come here. I so wanted to see and hold you." Jack paused to gather some courage.

"I have an idea, Bérénice. An idea I would like you to think about. My contract expires at the end of the year. I can't guarantee I will still be in Kansas City. I was thinking I would temporarily move to Reims so I can be with you and the children. When I sign a new contract, I would like to take you and the children with me. Move to a house near my home in my neighborhood. I invested my $4,000,000 signing bonus and it has nearly doubled in 5 years. I've been investing my salary since I was promoted to the majors. I live a modest lifestyle. I have enough set aside, where, I can buy another house. For you." Jack paused and gathered his thoughts. "I'm interested in being with you, Bérénice. To explore a relationship with you and your children. A relationship beyond our relationship now. I will be patient because I know how much you loved Robert. I will not press you for a decision on this idea."

Bérénice nodded. She encouraged Jack to get off his knee and stand. She rose from her chair and took Jack into her arms... her arms around his chest, back and shoulders; her head lying on his chest. Jack embraced her in return.

"Jack... We both have mixed emotions because of Robert," Bérénice said, while still lying her head on his chest. "But, our love for each other existed before Robert died. I know you will never replace Robert and, I don't want you to replace Robert. I want you to be the Jack I have always known and loved."

Bérénice lifted her head from Jack's chest, and looked into his eyes with a loving smile. She tilted her head a little. She leaned up and kissed him. She waited for his approval. Jack kissed her, firmly and readjusted his embrace. Bérénice released him and placed her hands around his neck and head and explored his lips with her tongue. Jack obliged and they gently dueled with their tongues. Bérénice broke their first romantic kiss.

"Ask me, Jack," she whispered, as she gazed into his brown and sexy eyes. "Ask me to come with you to Kansas City."

Jack smiled, but, was apprehensive for a moment.

"Are you sure, Bérénice? Are you really sure? It will be a big change in your life. I will be away for days and sometimes weeks at a time."

Bérénice nodded. "Ask me, Jack. Ask me right now."

Jack smiled.

"Bérénice... Come with me to Kansas City. You and your children. I need you in my life. I love you and I want to love you more.

She nodded and smiled.

"Yes... Yes, I will come with you. I want to love you more, too."

Chapter 44

"Jack played well last night. He started a rally."

Bérénice was putting the final touches of packing for her children so her parents could take them back to Reims.

"Yes, he did, Mama," she replied. She stood up from her packing and looked at her father and mother. "He stopped by my room last night. He brought some take-out food and we talked. Whispered, really, because of the children." She paused to gauge their reaction. "His contract expires at the end of the season. He suggested I move with him when he signs a new contract after the baseball season is over. He wants to explore a relationship with me and the children. A family relationship."

Mr. and Mrs. Ouellet smiled wide with approval.

"I urged him to ask me now. To move there now... to Kansas City."

Her parents looked at each other and smiled ever wider.

"He asked me to come to Kansas City. And... I said yes."

Amélie Ouellet set Patrice down on the floor and took her daughter in her arms. "We're happy for you, Bérénice. This will be good for you and Jack. For your children, too. Love him as much as you loved Robert."

"Thank you, Mama. I needed your approval. Thank you, Daddy."

With that, Bérénice followed her parents and children to the lobby and loaded Mr. Ouellet's Suburban with three children and luggage.

Frank Ouellet took his daughter into his arms before they left. He kissed her on the cheek.

"I will be here early on Wednesday to pick you up. Then, we will make plans together to move you to Kansas City."

1...345678