An Unexpected Family Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I heard you wanted tickets. I tried to get you to call me, by the way," he replied, with a matter of fact tone.

"Thank you," she offered softly.

"You're welcome." Jack paused for a moment, looked away, then back to Diane. "Bérénice knows about you and wants to meet you. If you feel awkward, I do, too. You certainly can decline."

Diane's eyes widen. "I certainly didn't expect this, either. I'm going to need time to think about it. She's not violent, is she?"

Jack began laughing nearly uncontrollability. "Nope." His tone turned to nearly a whisper. "When I said she knows about you, I mean she knows "everything" about you and me. How you helped me become a lover. I think she is curious about you and wants to thank you. I'm not kidding. I also think she wants to be ahead of anyone mentioning you. It's no secret we were lovers. She expects to be asked about you during social events."

Diane nodded. "I'll need time."

"OK, about the tickets, Diane. I give tickets to my friends. That's what friends do. I consider you one of my very best friends. Thus, the tickets. I understand why you haven't returned my calls, but, I'm hopeful, after today, I don't have to show up at your office and pay $500 to have a conversation. Call me back? Please?"

"OK... Friends. And, Jack... this meeting is pro bono. You won't have to pay to just talk."

Jack rose from his chair and knelt in front of Diane. He whispered, "Call me about Bérénice. Either way, OK?"

Diane nodded.

Jack hugged her and kissed her on the lips. He rose from his knee and straightened his suit coat and tie.

"I look forward to seeing you with your friends behind the dugout. I'll wave to you... Good bye, Diane."

Chapter 67

Jack was a little nervous. Not much though. It was his first career playoff game after all. Against the Oakland A's... tonight.

Patrice was snuggled against him on the couch, asking questions about the scouting report he was reading on his laptop computer. John was on his other side.

"Daddy," Patrice began. "What it mean curb ball break hard?"

Jack shook his head... arched an eyebrow... Daddy? he thought.

"Yeah, Daddy," John offered. "What does it mean?"

Oh, my God, he thought.

"Yeah, Daddy. What DOES it mean... a curve ball breaks hard?" Bérénice said, as she was bringing Amélie into the living room to sit on the couch with her family. Bérénice began giggling at the expression on Jack's face. "Tell us."

Jack regained his composure and said, "Patrice, it means when the pitcher throws his curve ball, it no longer flies straight, but falls toward the ground very fast. It's a sign that the pitcher is trying to trick the batter into swinging at the ball and missing it."

"Have you been tricked by the curve ball?" John asked.

"At times I have, John. There have been times when I guessed correctly a curve ball was going to be thrown and I hit the ball."

"How do you guess it will he thrown?" he asked again.

"That is why I have a scouting report on my computer. There are men and women who work for the Kansas City Royals and they watch all of the pitchers. They write down what pitch was thrown to each batter during certain situations. Over time, one can guess which pitch will be thrown by that pitcher."

"Do you guess right every time?" John persisted.

"Not every time. But, if I study hard, I can guess a little over half of the time. Sometimes, most of the time. It depends on what pitcher I am batting against."

With that, Jack looked to his left and found Patrice sound to sleep under his arm, and Bérénice noticed.

"Baseball is not so interesting to some of us... Daddy," she mused, her last word, staccato and thrown right at him.

Jack turned to Bérénice and mouthed the word, "Daddy?"

Bérénice smiled and whispered, "You do look a lot like their father. They are small children, and I'm not surprised they called you Daddy. Jack... they are so small, they likely won't remember Robert. Only through photographs will they ever know him."

"Should I feel this uncomfortable? Being called, Daddy?"

"Go with it, Daddy. I'm hopeful you and I can make it permanent one day. Lighten up and let them call you, Daddy. For me, I'm looking forward to three or more littles ones like them to call you Daddy, too."

Jack nodded his head and his eyes became slightly watery. "I would like to talk to you after the season is over. About being your husband. And, being their father."

Chapter 68

The Royals swept the A's in three games, scoring a total of 34 runs to the A's 7 runs. Jack shared the series MVP award with pitcher, Martin Edwards. Jack batted .611 for the series and batted in 10 of the 34 runs. He stole 6 bases in three games and scored 9 times. Martin held the A's in the first game to one earned run, 3 hits, no walks, and pitched a complete game. Bill Ocher gave sizable credit to Jack for their success during the season. His success was contagious and the other players became successful and productive, too, Ocher said.

Diane was at all three games and Jack spoke to her before each game through the fence. He waved at her after each inning while he ran from the field and into the dugout. Bérénice noticed him waving after each inning from the suite box she shared with other wives and girlfriends. And, she knew it was Diane. Jack told her he purchased tickets for her.

During the press conference in Oakland, Jack shared the MVP stage with Bérénice, her children, his parents, and Bérénice's parents. He introduced Bérénice as his girlfriend and sister in law; explaining she was a widow, having lost his brother this past May. The Under Armour rep was pleased with Jack and promised a performance bonus check, per his contract, at the end of the year.

As Jack left the press room with Bérénice and their families, he saw a familiar face, and smiled. Although she was only 5 feet 3 inches tall, Jack found Diane immediately. She smiled and gave him a tentative wave. She had come to the area hopeful she could see Jack and thank him. Jack broke from his family and walked the 90 feet to greet her. He leaned over and gave her a warm embrace, which she returned.

"Congratulations, Jack," she offered, as they embraced. "You were incredible."

"Thank you. Did you enjoy the seats?" he replied, as he broke the embrace.

"Absolutely and thank you. You remember Marcy don't you?"

"I do. It's good to see you again, Marcy."

"Jack, you played like a monster," Marcy replied, with a wink. Jack smirked. He knew she was trying to get under his skin. He winked in return.

"And this is Martin and Mitchell Tomlin. They are colleagues. Attorneys in Kansas City. They are big fans of yours, Jack."

Jack greeted each of the brothers and thanked them for coming to the games.

"Jack, I'm ready. To meet Bérénice. I thought a neutral location would be best," Diane whispered. Jack nodded and smiled.

Jack turned and gestured for Bérénice and Amélie to come to him.

As Bérénice approached Jack, he gestured to take Amélie from her arms.

"Bérénice, I would like for you to meet Diane Fitzpatrick, a friend of mine. And Diane, this is Bérénice, and her daughter, Amélie. You and I have discussed Bérénice."

Bérénice's eyebrows went up and then she smiled a huge smile to Diane. She leaned over and embraced Diane, taking Diane by surprise.

"You are very important to Jack, Diane," she said, during their embrace. As they broke their embrace, she continued, "I asked for an introduction. Thank you for meeting with me." Bérénice took both of Diane's hands into hers.

"It's certainly a pleasure to meet the woman that holds Jack's heart," Diane replied. "Before tonight, I wasn't certain I could meet you. You see, it's hard for me to give up someone like Jack to someone else. But, now, I can see why you are important to him. You are absolutely beautiful."

"Thank you," she replied, then paused for effect. "Jack considers you a good friend. Perhaps we can have lunch someday... To get to know one another. Friends, maybe."

Diane nodded gently. "Perhaps... I'll need some time though, to think about it. OK?"

"Of course. I'll have Jack send you my number. Call me when you're ready."

Diane nodded. She turned to Jack and touched his arm. "Congratulations again, Jack. And, thank you for the tickets. Marcy and the boys had fun."

Jack leaned over with Amélie in his arms and whispered, "I hope this isn't the end, Diane. I have more tickets." He stood up and winked.

Chapter 69

It was crazy at Jack's house.

John and Patrice moved into the nursery with Amélie. They slept on mats. Jack's parents took over the twin beds and Bérénice's parents slept in the queen bed in the other bedroom. Neither set of parents seemed to mind Bérénice was sleeping with Jack. It seemed normal.

Of course, Jack still had to study, work, and practice for the American League Championship Series against the Houston Astros. His hours for the playoffs were crazy, and his family only received glimpses of him at home. All of the adults chipped in to help during their stay at Jack's house.

Jack, of course, made arrangements for his family to share a suite with other players' families at the games. And, while in Kansas City, one of Morgan Lancaster's favorite baby sitters stayed with the children during the games.

Jack stopped by Diane's law office and gave her tickets to the ALCS. Behind the dugout, of course. This time though, he couldn't get tickets for the games in Houston, and he apologized. Diane shook her head at him and told him she was grateful anyway, and gave him a kiss. She told him to leave quickly before she tore his clothes off.

The Royals split the first two games in Kansas City. The first game, Houston won, 4-3. The second game, the Royals won 6-2. In the two games, Jack batted .540, drove in 3 runs, and had 3 steals.

When the series moved to Houston, Jack made arrangements for his family to stay in the same hotel as the team. He hired Julie Campbell to come with his family and sit with the children during the games. And of course, Jack and other players leased a suite for their families.

In Houston, the Astros won the first game, 2-1. Jack was 0-4 at the plate, but, assisted in turning 5 double plays in the game. Amazingly, the Royals stomped the Astros in their home park for games 4 and 5. The scores... 10-4 in game 4 and 9-1 in game 5. Jack was unstoppable. Hitting .740 for both games, he drove in 9 of the 19 runs and stole 6 bases. In game 5, with the bases loaded in the 5th, Jack smacked a hard shot to right center, hitting the wall, and clearing the bases for a standup double.

It was in the 8th inning of game 5 that things got ugly.

Upset they were losing so badly, Roger Clarkson, the Astros reliever, threw a 99 mile per hour fast ball right at Jack with a 1-0 count. Jack turned his back and hoped for the best. It plunked him left of the spine just below the neck. The home plate umpire threw Clarkson out of the game because the pitch was too close to Jack's head. Bérénice turned her back to the game, fearing Jack may have been injured. Jack's mother did, too.

Kneeling on one knee, Jack roared, "You Asshole!"

He got off the ground, tossed his bat toward the dugout, and charged for Clarkson as he was walking toward the Astros dugout. Umpires restrained Jack and Clarkson before Jack could land a punch. Players from both benches emptied onto the field in fury. It was 20 minutes before umpires and Houston police officers regained control of the game. Two Astros players and James Wheelock, a utility infielder for the Royals, were thrown out of the game for landing punches.

As Jack went to first base, with Bill Ocher escorting him, Jack said, "It was on purpose. No doubt, Bill." Ocher nodded his agreement.

Bérénice was relieved Jack didn't appear injured when he took first base.

In the locker room after the game, while Karen Parsons, the team trainer, was inspecting his back, Jack was asked by the press if he thought he was hit on purpose.

"Ask Roger!" he snapped in reply.

After the press left the locker room, Karen stepped up to Jack at his locker. "X-rays. Let's go," she barked. As she lead Jack to the medical facilities, she said, "Would you've hit him?"

"Yeah. I would've."

Karen nodded. She held the door open for Jack to pass through and the x-ray technician was waiting on them. Karen couldn't resist her next comment to Jack.

"Jack, that lump on your back is nowhere close to those scratches and that bite mark I saw on you in Chicago." She giggled on the way out of the x-ray room. The technician looked at Jack with confusion on her face.

Chapter 70

"Es-tu blesse?"

"Non. Ce n'est qu'une ecchymose. It'll be fine. Karen took an x-ray and I'm good," Jack replied to Bérénice, with a smile.

"Nous avons eupeur pour toi, Jacques," his mother cried.

"Mama, c'est bien que la balle me frappe dans le dos. C'est seulement quand le ballon me frappe dans la tête, vous devriez être inquiet. J'aime ta mère. Please. Don't worry, Mama," Jack replied.

Jack's mother was not satisfied. "They should fire him for hitting you," she asserted. "He's a coward!"

Jack smiled at his mother's fury. "They will take his money tomorrow for hitting me. They'll fine him."

Bérénice interrupted Jack, hugged him close, pressed her breasts into his chest, and kissed him hard. The lovers' kiss was passionate. Some of his teammates began clearing their throats and whistling as they passed the lovers.

"Je t'aime Jacques," Bérénice sighed.

Jack caressed her cheek and looked deep into the black eyes of the woman he loved.

"Je t'aime Bérénice," he whispered.

Chapter 71

The Royals, again, gave the Astros a whipping on their return to Kansas City, with Jack leading the team to victory. In game 6 of the ALCS, Jack led off the scoring in the first inning with a no outs, bases clearing double to the left center field wall, scoring runners from first and second. He immediately stole third base, and scored on a bunt from Jackson Poteet. By the end of the first inning, 12 Royals batters had come to the plate. The score... 7-0.

When it was all over, the Royals won the game 15-1, earning a spot in the World Series. Jack, again, hit a bases clearing double down the right field corner in the 5th inning, scoring another 2 runs. He immediately scored a run when Jackson Poteet hit a single to left center field. Every player in the starting lineup had at least one hit, and many had two or more hits.

Jack was named the Most Valuable Player of the ALCS for leading the team in hits, RBIs, runs scored, and stolen bases during the series.

Again, he shared the MVP stage with Bérénice, her parents, and his parents. And, of course, Bérénice was proud of Jack. He was having a phenomenal year and was unstoppable in the playoffs so far. She couldn't wait to get him home and "congratulate" him, she told him.

Jack did see and spoke with Diane during Games 1, 2, and 6 through the fence before the games. He did sense she was becoming distant. He had a feeling the end of their relationship was would soon arrive; something he did not want.

The Under Armour rep was ecstatic with Jack and his performances during both playoff series. Again, bonuses would be forthcoming at the beginning of the year.

When the Caron and Ouellet families arrived at Jack's home very late that night, Bérénice sensed Jack was becoming melancholy. After she checked on her children and both sets of parents retired for the evening, she found Jack in bed, lying on his side, facing the outside of his bed.

In her now famous, off white satin pajamas, she cuddled up behind him and cooed her relief from the night of excitement.

"Jack," she said, and paused. "Is there something wrong?"

Jack took a moment or two to reply. "I fear Diane will soon be gone from my life. She seems distant." He paused to reflect on his words. "I'm not sure, but, I think our friendship will be ending soon."

Bérénice didn't reply. She sensed Jack wasn't finished speaking.

Jack waited a few minutes, then turned to face Bérénice. He took her hand and held it lovingly.

"Diane is one of the few people in my life whom I truly enjoyed having a conversation. I can't necessarily point to the reason why, but, it was evident the night we met." He paused. "Since I told her I couldn't be her lover, but, didn't want to lose her as a friend, it just hasn't worked between us. I have tried to stay in contact. She will not have lunch with me anymore."

He drew Bérénice into his arms and held her close. He whispered into her ear, "I think I am beginning to feel a loss, not unlike losing Robert."

Bérénice withdrew from Jack a little and found a tear falling across his cheek.

"Peut-être qu'elle ressent une perte aussi."

"Oui. Peut être. La douleur ne s'en va pas."

"Jack... From what you have told me, her lifestyle is different. Perhaps this is her way of telling you, she can't be your friend without being her lover as well."

Jack tilted his head to consider her words. "You may be right." He paused to refocus. "Bérénice... Yes, she was a lover. But, I loved her for another reason. Not the sex. It's like with you, but, with you it is more so. I love you because you are who you are. I was in love with you since high school. The love I have for you is different. It is a love of wanting to be with you always... Forever. With Diane, it is more a friendship love."

"It will work out for you, Jack. Perhaps not the way you would like, but, it will work out. It always does," she offered. "If the two of grow distant, then, it was meant to be. That doesn't mean you will forget her. Diane obviously has influenced your life. If she wants to leave, let her go because that is what friendship and love is."

Jack gently nodded his agreement. He placed his arms around Bérénice and asked her to hold him. "I love holding you like this," he said, as he held her more closely and firmly.

A few minutes passed.

"I promised you a congratulations when he got home," she whispered, with a giggle

Jack chuckled, as he pulled back from her embrace. "OK," he whispered, in return. "But, we can't roar like lions. Your parents. My parents."

Bérénice giggled again. "OK, I'll scream into our pillows. Keep them close."

Chapter 72

"Good morning, Mr. Caron."

"Good morning, Brenda," Jack replied. "I have tickets to the World Series for Diane. Just two this time. Supply and demand, you know."

Brenda giggled. "I would be interested in knowing where you are getting them. Diane hasn't had any luck getting them on her own."

Jack hadn't told anyone where he was getting them. Not even Bérénice. He had placed a clause in his baseball contract with Miami that the team would provide him playoff tickets at face value cost. When the Royals picked him up on a trade, and the Royals made the playoffs, he pointed to the clause in his contract. The Royals were happy to provide the tickets to their star player.

Jack just grinned widely at Brenda and wiggled his finger at her in reply.

"Diane is on the phone right now. I just sent her a message you are here. She'll be right out."

Jack was about to take a seat when Diane emerged from her office with a wide smile on her face. "Jack," she chirped, as she motioned for Jack to come into her office. "Brenda, no interruptions, please."

"Yes, Ma'am."

As Jack took his seat, he announced, "Two tickets, behind the Royals dugout. Both here and in Pittsburgh. I tried to get more, but, I hear the owner has friends." He chuckled.

Diane giggled and replied, "You're amazing, Jack. In many ways." She wiggled her eyebrow. "I'd strip naked right now if you tell me how you're getting these tickets."

"I'm tempted. Truly, I am. But, some secrets need to be kept," Jack replied with a laugh.

1...345678