An Unexpected Family Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That feels so good," she sighed. "Well? Your meeting today?"

"The meeting went well," he began. "Not what I expected, but, I think we have a bright future. Just not here in Kansas City."

"Oh? Where then?"

"Houston, maybe. Mr. House told me the Royals had lost too many players to free agency and it would be years before they were competitive again. He urged me to seek another team to play for next year. One that was a playoff contender. Jason called me after the meeting and said the Astros have made an offer. A generous one. $6,000,000 a year guaranteed, plus generous incentives. I could potentially make another $56,000,000 over the next 8 years. Plus a $8,000,000 signing bonus... Five now and three next year."

"Jack," she offered, with surprise and happiness. "It sounds wonderful. That's ... a lot of money."

"It is. I'm making $625,000 now. Just above the minimum. Jason said other teams are interested, but, the Astros have the best chance of going to the playoffs and the World Series."

"I'm excited for you, Jack. You're finally being recognized for your achievements."

He nodded. He released her feet, rose from his seat, then knelt near her head.

"I love you, Bérénice. More than you know."

"Oh, yes, I do know. I've known you since I was 10."

With that, she pulled him to her and kissed him. When they broke their kiss, Jack held her close to him and drank in the love pouring from her soul.

"I want to go back to Reims. Will you come with me?" he asked.

"Of course."

Chapter 93

"Jack Caron is here for his appointment. Send him in?"

"Yes, Brenda. Thank you."

Then, Diane hung up her phone and rose from her desk to greet Jack just as he opened the door.

"I always look forward to seeing you, Diane," Jack offered, as he held her closer and more snuggly that usual.

Diane noticed.

"Jack, I'll never tire of seeing and holding you. Have a seat. Brenda tells me you have work for me to do this time." She giggled.

"I do," he began, as he took his seat. "I want you to sell my house."

Diane was stunned. "Sell your house?" she whispered.

"Yes... I'm leaving Kansas City." He pursed his lips and nodded.

"Jack. Where are you going?"

"Houston... The Astros made an offer and they have playoff prospects. I signed a memorandum of understanding yesterday and I'll be signing my contract in two weeks."

Diane began to weep, unable to hold back her tears. Jack rose from his seat and knelt beside her. He took her into his arms and they held each until the hurt subsided a bit.

"Oh, my," she whimpered, as she released him. "I'm going to miss you."

Jack nodded as he wiped tears from his face. "Me too." He rose from his knees and took his seat. "I will never forget you, Diane. Never."

Diane nodded while wiping tears from her face. She rose from her seat, yanked a tissue from its box on her desk, and opened the door to her office.

Through her sobbing, she said, "Brenda, I need a Limited Power of Attorney, please."

"Yes, Ma'am. Is everything OK?"

"It will be. Jack's leaving Kansas City and... well, come in here when you are finished, please. I need you to take down the description of his house. We're selling it for him."

"Yes, Ma'am."

When the documents had been signed and notarized, Brenda left the office.

"This will be pro bono, Jack. The quid pro quo is still heavy in your favor after the playoff and World Series tickets. Marcy and I had great fun. You and I never talked after the World Series. Why did you want to talk to the boy sitting next to me?"

"He's a distant relative from Canada. He came to see me play, but, I didn't know him. I saw him sitting next to you and he looks just like my brother. That is why I had to meet him. Providence brought the two of you together, so I could meet him and his father. Crazy, huh?"

"Way crazy. What are the chances of you getting tickets next to him?"

Jack shook his head and shrugged his shoulders.

They rose from their chairs and held each other.

"Jack... May I kiss you? One more time, please?"

Jack leaned in and kissed her. She held the back of his head firmly against her lips, knowing it would be their last. Diane broke the kiss with tears in her eyes. "Thank you. I will miss you, Jack."

Jack nodded, turned, and left the office.

"Brenda," Diane said, as she saw Jack leave the outer office. "Reschedule for the rest of the day, please. I'm going to Jeff City for the weekend."

Chapter 94

"I'm going for a walk. Would you like to go with me?"

"Sure... Let me get a sweater. It's a little cool this afternoon," Bérénice replied. She went to her bedroom closet and put on a sweater. She went to the kitchen and told her mother where they were going.

"Let's go."

The two lovers stepped out of Bérénice's parents' house and began walking along the sidewalk, hand in hand, on this November day before Thanksgiving in Reims.

"Any place in particular?" she asked her lover.

"I thought I would stop by the cemetery. For a moment or two, then to Sacred Heart. OK?"

"Sure."

When they arrived at the graves of Caron family members, they stopped at Robert's grave.

After a few minutes, Jack turned to Bérénice. "I haven't told you this. I saw Robert... In Pittsburgh."

Her eye brows went up. She didn't comment.

"Not the boy, but Robert. Our Robert."

Bérénice's eyes widened and she tilted her head again.

He nodded. "He was in the seat where the boy was sitting. Then, he was gone and I saw the boy." He paused to wipe tears from his eyes. "He said that it is OK and that you loved me."

Bérénice took Jack into her arms and pressed herself against him. Jack returned her embrace. They both cried holding each other.

"I miss him, Bérénice. So much."

*****

The lovers found themselves walking toward Sacred Heart Church, hand in hand. Jack leading them to the entrance and into the sanctuary. They were alone. He then stopped at a pew on the right... three rows from the front. He gestured for her to enter the pew first.

They sat down and took each other's hand. Jack looked up to the front and reflected how the church hadn't changed much since he was a child and teenager.

Then, he turned to his lover on his right.

"I remember vividly, you and Robert, here in this pew. Holding hands like we are now. Your parents on your right, and me and my parents on the left of Robert. We sat here as a family. Two families together seemed like one family to me. Because of you and Robert."

Jack looked away from Bérénice and gazed at the altar. "I remember when you and Robert were married here. I was standing next to Robert and you were beautiful. Robert couldn't keep his eyes off of you. And, you were the same to him. I also had a hard time taking my eyes away from you."

Another tear slowly appeared and fell across his cheek.

"I prayed that I would find someone like you someday." He paused to wipe a tear away from his face. He turned to Bérénice and did his best to speak without a knot in his voice.

"I never imagined there would be a time that you and Robert would never be together. But, here we are. Both of us missing him so much."

Bérénice was crying and sobbing, doing her best to hear her lover's words.

"Bérénice, I'm going to ask you to marry me," he sobbed. "For me, my heart will always be broken because of Robert, and, I suspect the same is for you, too. But do you think you can love me? Even with Robert still in our hearts?"

"Yes," she replied, through sobs and a quivering voice, nodding her head and wiping tears from her face. "I know I can. I have loved you both since I was 10. I knew within weeks, that you two loved each other as much as Robert loved me. I couldn't love Robert without loving you, too. Jack, you have always been a part of my life. And I want to continue being with you. Tell me you want me. Right now... Please."

"I haven't a ring to give you, because, I want you to choose the ring with me. A moment I can share with you is what I want. With many more moments in the future to share. The important and happy ones and the sad ones, too." He paused. Then he rose from his seat and knelt in front of her.

"Marry me, Bérénice. I want you for my own. I love you. I will always love you."

"Yes. I want you for my own, Jacques. I will always love you."

Chapter 95

The lovers were married the first weekend in January. In the same church where they grew up. It was simple. Family and close friends were in attendance. The reception was in the parish hall and it was simple also. Punch and cake, with a few snacks for the children.

Jack signed his baseball contract with the Astros after the previous first week in December. Bérénice and the children were present. His only change to the agreement were playoff tickets. He wanted guaranteed playoff tickets at face value, for up to 10 tickets, behind the Astros dugout, both at home and away. He also wanted guaranteed access to a suite for his family to attend games during the season and playoffs.

He took some of the signing bonus and bought the house Bérénice found in The Woodlands, Texas... A six bedroom, 4 bath ranch style home. Bérénice chose the house because she and Jack agreed to have at least three children, for a total of six children. She furnished the house for $15,000, half of what Jack had given her. She bought everything on sale and returned the money to Jack to invest for their future after baseball.

He took Bérénice to France for their honeymoon. A 12 day affair, which was cold in January, and they found their French had a Texas accent, for which the Parisians were fascinated. They visited Reims, France, the namesake of their home town in Texas.

When they returned to The Woodlands from Europe, Jack went to work preparing for the upcoming season. Athletic training at home and at Minute Maid Park became the routine. Jack wanted the Astros to know he was worth the money he was being paid. He spent every spare and precious moment with Bérénice and their children.

With Jack's new contract with the Astros, his endorsements came flooding in. He re-signed with UA and numerous businesses in the Houston area sought his face and name to sell their products and services. Soon, Jack's income from his endorsements was enough for Jack and Bérénice to live on. Thus, Jack invested his baseball salary in mutual funds for the next 12 years, accumulating a very sizeable sum for their retirement from baseball.

Before Jack left for Florida and spring training, Bérénice informed him she thought she was pregnant. She suspected sometime while they were in France. She would let him know for sure in a few days. Jack almost didn't leave, he was so happy. Bérénice had to shoo him away... She needed her man to go to work.

On her first weekend visit to Florida with the children, she told Jack she was pregnant and the baby was expected in September. He pleaded with her to stay 2 more days, because he missed her and the children. She stayed the 2 days.

When Jack returned to Houston from Florida, he was playing the best baseball of his life. From the very beginning of the season, Jack was an elite player. He lead the majors in batting average, stolen bases, on base percentage, RBIs and runs scored. This time, he was elected the American League Most Valuable Player, by a near unanimous vote.

He was honored with his second All Star selection. He sent two guest passes to Diane, along with a note to have fun. He never saw her there, but, she called him to let him know she was there with Marcy.

Right before the season ended, Bérénice and Jack welcomed a son. They named him Robert.

The Astros did make the playoffs. With Jack's leadership and elite play on the field, the Astros won the World Series in six games against the St. Louis Cardinals. Jack, for the second year in a row, was awarded the MVP of the series. He was the first player to achieve the award in back to back series.

Jack retired from baseball at the age of 40. He played 12 seasons for the Astros, making the World Series five times. The Astros won 4 of the 5. And for each of those World Series, his distant relatives from Quebec City were his guests. Robert, the boy he saw in Pittsburgh, along with his parents, his brother, and three sisters attend all of the games. The boy, Robert, was now a man, when Jack played in his last World Series with the Astros. Jack and Bérénice had lunch with them every day before each game.

He played the last two years of his career at Kansas City. Diane was no longer in Kansas City at the time. Remarkably, she had married a wealthy attorney, who practiced in St. Louis. She practiced law part time and did frequent pro bono work for the needy. She had two sons.

Bérénice and Jack moved to Reims, Texas upon his retirement. Together, they had four sons and one daughter. John and Patrice were in college. Amélie and Robert were in high school. Frances (Frank), Jacques (Jack), Paul, and Adele were in middle and elementary school.

Robert, Frank, Jack, and Paul all played professional baseball. Frank and Paul made it to the majors, with Paul making it to the World Series with the Los Angeles Dodgers. They lost.

Ten years after Jack retired, he was selected to the baseball Hall of Fame. A surprise for him. His entire family, along with his elderly parents and in laws joined him in the celebration during the induction ceremony.

In Jack's retirement, Bérénice was more beautiful than ever. The hints of gray in her hair made her ever more beautiful.

And Jack enjoyed the remainder of his days, surrounded by his children and grandchildren on a small ranch outside of Reims... with his lover in his arms.

The End

1...345678