An Unexpected Family Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Karen grinned at Jack before she left the field. "If we win this game, Jack, I'm going to kiss your mouth!"

She laughed at the expression Jack gave her as she walked back to the dugout.

Chapter 86

Bérénice and the entire population of the luxury suite were hugging each other and exchanging high fives. Thirty people were hugging, kissing, and slapping backs after Jack's run leading hit and dramatic slide into third base. The other players' wives were hugging and thanking Bérénice for the runs. She just laughed and enjoyed the attention.

She was concerned when Karen was called out to third base to look at Jack. But, when Karen left smiling widely, she knew Jack was OK.

When Jackson Poteet stepped into the batter's box, her father announced, "Bunt."

"What?" she replied. Confused as to his announcement.

"Bunt," he returned, as he pointed to Poteet. "Poteet is the best bunter on the team. Jack's going to score any minute. There's no outs... Bunt."

Bérénice twirled to look onto the field just as the pitch was delivered.

Poteet tapped a bunt down the first base line and sprinted for first, as Jack sailed across home plate standing up. Jackson was thrown out by the pitcher.

The score... 4-2, Royals. Jack was personally responsible for three of the runs.

No more runs were scored, and... that, folks... was how the Royals won the World Series in four games.

Chapter 87

It was after 4:00 am Eastern when Jack and Bérénice stepped into their room at the hotel in Pittsburgh.

Jack won the MVP award for the World Series. The first time in history, a single player won 4 MVP awards. The All Star game, the two playoff series, and the World Series. For the World Series, he lead the Royals in batting average, RBIs, runs scored, and steals. His RBI triple in the 8th inning secured the Royals win, and scoring on the sacrifice bunt, Jack closed the door on the Pirates. No fielding errors by Jack during the playoffs, sweeten the victory over the Pirates.

It was pandemonium in the locker room with champagne and beer poured on every soul present. Karen Parsons came through on her promise, when, in front of the TV cameras and the entire team in the locker room, she planted a kiss on Jack. A long and juicy one. The team erupted in whistles and roars of approval.

Jack received the MVP award on the field in front of the crowd. He also was given a brand new Royal Blue C7 Corvette from the MVP sponsor. Bérénice and his family were present on the field for the presentation. He introduced his family and girlfriend during the TV interview.

By the time celebrations were over, Bérénice and Jack were exhausted. The children were spending the night with Julie Campbell, across the hall from Bérénice and Jack.

As each of them readied for bed, Jack spoke.

"I have a meeting at 9 o'clock in the morning. I would like for you to go with me."

"OK," she replied, as she readied to take a shower. "Who will be there?"

"Some friends," he sighed. "Some friends I would like for you to meet."

"OK... Where do you know them from?"

"I met them at the game tonight. They're from Canada... Quebec."

"Interesting," she mused. "Canadians in Pittsburgh for the World Series. Funny that you met them. Where in Quebec?"

"Quebec City."

"Sounds like fun. I always enjoy brushing up on my French. You could use it, too. You're a little rusty."

"You'll go with me?"

"Of course."

Chapter 88

Bérénice and Jack rose at 7:30 am with very little sleep, but, Jack promised long naps that day. He ordered room service for breakfast and herded the children into their room, along with Julie Campbell. Bérénice bragged about Jack to Julie and they had fun, with Patrice particularly interested in what her uncle had done the night before. John, too.

At 8:30 am sharp, a knock on the door silenced the group. Jack smiled and answered the door.

"Good morning, Mr. Caron," Gabriel, the team assistant, yelped. "That was a great hit you had last night. Crushed it! Congratulations for the MVP. Getting used to it this year, I suppose." He chuckled.

"Come in," Jack offered. "Did you get everything I asked for?"

"Yep, and more. I used every bit of the money you gave me."

"What?" Bérénice asked, as she left her chair and approached Jack. "What's going on?

"I have some gifts for the meeting we have at 9," Jack replied.

"Why the gifts?" she insisted. "What kind of gifts?"

"The people we are meeting are a father and son," Jack said. "They sat near the dugout and I struck up a conversation with them."

"It's bats, baseballs, gloves, World Series memorabilia, hats, jerseys, cards, photos, etc.," Gabriel offered.

Bérénice turned to Jack with a confused look on her face.

Jack chuckled. "When you meet them, you'll understand... I think."

At 9 am sharp, Jack's phone rang.

Chapter 89

Jack, Bérénice, and Gabriel stepped out of the shuttle van Jack hired from the hotel. He tipped the driver and helped Gabriel unload the gifts.

As they entered the Pittsburgh Inn lobby, there was Robert Caron, smiling, and standing next to his father.

When Bérénice saw the boy, she gasped, and placed her hands over her nose and mouth. "Oh my, God!" she whispered. She looked to Jack, who smiled and nodded.

"Me, too," he replied.

"He looks like Robert," she whispered, in stunned surprise.

"Yes, he does," Jack agreed. "Let me introduce you."

"Congratulations on your MVP award, Mr. Caron," Robert's father offered, in a thick French accent.

"Mr. Caron, before we begin introductions, may I suggest we address each other by our first names," Jack mused.

"Caron?" Bérénice asked in shock.

"Yes," Jack replied. "This young man is Robert Caron. And this is his father, also, Robert Caron. They are from Quebec City."

"Robert?" she whimpered.

"Robert and Robert. This is my girlfriend, Bérénice. We grew up together in Reims, Texas. Also, this is Gabriel. He is a Royals assistant and I asked him to help me this morning."

Gabriel stepped forward and shook the hand of each Canadian.

Bérénice leaned over and shook the hand of the boy and her eyes roamed his face, drinking in every detail.

Jack walked over to the hotel desk and requested a meeting room for two hours. He paid the clerk and they were escorted to a room. Bérénice sat next to the boy with her eyes rarely leaving his face.

When everyone settled in, Jack spoke to the father.

"Robert, I asked for a meeting today for a very specific reason. You see, your son here, looks very much like my brother. His name was Robert Caron."

"I know a little about your brother," Robert offered. "Robert here, saw you in the All Star game on television. He was curious about your last name. Before I knew it, he had done research on you and came across your brother. I am sorry to hear he passed away in May."

Jack nodded to the boy with a grin. "What else do you know about me, Robert?"

"I know you grew up in Reims, Texas. You played baseball at Texas Tech. You were drafted in the first round by the Miami Marlins when you were 20 years old and within a year of playing in the minors, you were called up to the Marlins. You were traded in October 2018 to the Royals. And, I found out about your brother. It appeared in the Kansas City news and also the news in Texas."

"I'm impressed, Robert."

Before Jack could say anything further, the boy continued.

"I also did some genealogical research. Because of our names. We... I mean, my father and you share a common ancestor. You each share a great, great, great, grandfather. His name was Jacques Caron. He was born near Montreal and grew up near Ville de Québec; Quebec City. That makes you and my father to be fourth cousins. Also, your great, great, grandfather, as a very young teenager, immigrated to Texas after the American Civil War, along with about 60 other families from a small town near Quebec City. He left his family behind at age 15, and traveled with another family."

Jack nodded in astonishment. "I knew about the immigration," he offered. "His name was Robert also, am I correct?"

"Yes, sir."

Jack reached into his back pocket, withdrew his wallet, and presented a photograph to Bérénice, with a smile. Her eyes widened at the photo and she looked directly at the boy.

"Robert," Jack addressed the father. "This is a photograph of myself and my brother Robert. Robert is on the far left. The girl in the photo is Bérénice, my Robert's widow."

"Je suis désolé madame. Mes condoléances," the father offered.

Bérénice nodded. "C'est gentil de ta part. Je vous remercie."

He took the photo from Jack and his eyebrows arched and his eyes widened. He then showed the photo to his son, who also was surprised at the likeness to himself.

"You now know why I asked to see you last night at the game. You were sitting next to a guest of mine from Kansas City. When I waved to her, your son caught my attention."

Jack didn't mention the apparition of his brother. It wasn't time, he thought.

"Incroyable. Quelle coincidence," the father replied. "Tell them, Robert."

"Jack, when I found out about our relation, I began tracking your career with the Royals. When it became apparent the Royals were in the playoffs, I used my savings to purchase World Series tickets. I prayed the Royals would be there and I could see you play."

Jack couldn't believe his ears. "You bought tickets to the World Series before we earned the right to play?"

"Oui. If the Royals did not play, I would flip the tickets for a profit," the boy replied, in a matter of fact tone.

Jack turned to Bérénice with surprise on his face and shook his head.

"What are your plans today?" Jack asked the father.

"We had planned to leave this morning for Quebec. But, you asked to see us. We drove here. It is a 12 to 14 hour drive to return home. We will stay overnight in New York before continuing to Quebec City."

"I would like for you to meet my parents. They are here in Pittsburgh. May I ask for a delay in your return so that you may meet them? I will pay for your hotel, meals, and fuel to return to Quebec."

"Oui. Nous aimerions rencontrer vos parents. Cependant, nous n'avons pas besoin de remboursement pour nos déplacements."

"Merci. J'ai des cadeaux," Jack said, gesturing toward Gabriel and the bags.

Robert, the boy, was amazed at the gifts he had received. Jack had brought enough balls, gloves, bats, and shirts for his brother and sisters, and any friends he wished to share them with. Jack gave them "Caron" number "7" baseball jerseys for everyone in Robert's family.

Jack autographed the items Robert requested and did the same for his siblings. Gabriel took photos with the Canadians' phones so they could show family and friends. Bérénice was included in the photos.

Jack had called his father and mother and asked them to take a taxi to the Holiday Inn. When Jack's mother saw the boy, she wept and held him close. Jack was amazed at the similarity with the boy's father and his own father. They could have easily been mistaken for brothers.

"Thank you for the gifts, Jack... Mr. Caron," the boy said, as it came time for them to say good bye.

"You're welcome, Robert. Thank you for meeting me today. I believe Providence brought us together last night and today. And the next time I make it to the World Series, I will send you the tickets. Deal?"

"Thank you!"

Jack smiled and offered his hand in friendship.

Then... He knelt and took the boy into his arms... And held him... very close.

"I know you're in there, Robert," he whispered softly...

"Thank you."

Chapter 90

Jack returned to Kansas City as a household name. Everywhere he went in public, fans greeted him and begged for photographs. He cheerfully submitted and asked them their name and where they were from.

Kansas City provided a parade for the World Champions, and Bérénice and her children joined Jack in the celebration.

When, in Lees Summit, Jack took his new and unexpected family to Waffle Hut for the kids' favorite waffles, he was mobbed by the patrons.

The two love birds had been back in Kansas City for about a week, when Jack received a call at home. After he answered the call, he looked to Bérénice, nodded, and went to the front yard to continue the call.

Bérénice, with Amélie in her arms, watched him through the window of the dining room. Jack was pacing along the sidewalk near the street. The call was brief. Then, he placed the phone in his pocket and turned for the front door of the house. Bérénice met him when he entered and waited for him to speak first.

"That was the assistant to Kirby House. The general manager. He wants to see me at 3 o'clock this afternoon. I'm sure it's about my contract."

Bérénice took him by the back of the head and pulled him in for a kiss. He returned her kiss and then he kissed Amélie in her arms.

"I'm not going to think about it. It will work out no matter what because you and the children are with me. I'm the happiest man on the planet."

She nodded and hugged his arm.

Chapter 91

"Good afternoon, Jack," Millie said, as he arrived for his meeting. "Great hit and base running in the 8th in Pittsburgh. Congratulations on the MVP."

"Thank you, Millie. Any hints on my meeting with Mr. House?"

"Nope, but I will tell you it won't be long. He has someone scheduled at 3:30."

With that, the door to Kirby's office opened. "I thought I heard you out here. Come in, Jack," Kirby offered cheerfully. "Have a seat."

When Jack entered, Trey Lancaster was in the room, standing near a chair along the wall. He was smiling and had a folder in his hand, along with folders in the chair next to him.

Jack took a seat in front of the desk and Kirby took the seat next to him.

"Thank you for coming in on short notice, Jack."

"You're welcome. Thank you for meeting with me. It's an honor to visit with you anytime," Jack replied.

"It's too bad you didn't win the American League MVP award. It's always tough to lose a close one like that. Damn it, Jack. I felt like you should have run away with it, the way you played this year."

Jack chuckled and shook his head. "I figured everyone thought I had more than my share of MVPs this year. I don't mind losing to Jalen Woods. At least this time."

Mr. House laughed, along with Trey.

"I hear you and your sister in law are going to make a go of it. It was a sad day for us when we took that message from your parents. I hope everything is getting better."

"Thank you. Bérénice and I are trying. We're happy. My mother and father are still coping with Robert's death. Understandably. The loss of child."

"Of course they are. Still sad. Well, I also hear you have an unexpected family. Bérénice has how many children?"

"Three. One son and two daughters. Ages 6 months to 4 years. The best nephew and nieces a man can have. I'm bragging, of course."

"Yes, you are. You look happy," he sighed. "Bill Ocher is expected to be with us this afternoon, Jack. He wanted to sit in on this meeting about your contract."

With that, Ocher knocked on the door and entered, taking a seat next to Trey.

"OK," Kirby began. "Jack, I was on the phone with your agent before you came into the office. Everything you are going to hear from me, you're going to hear again from Jason. I wanted to speak with you personally instead of through your agent." Kirby paused to let Jack taste his words. Jack nodded.

"I felt like you were a hidden gem three years ago, Jack. But, I couldn't get Mr. March to let me trade for you until last year. You certainly made me look good this year in the eyes of Mr. March." He paused again. "OK... Here's the situation we find ourselves in. Raines, Baker, and Morris have all told me they're leaving." He paused to give Jack a chance to consider his words. "Without them, I can't promise the Royals will be competitive for the next three to five years. I mean, we likely won't make the playoffs until we get some younger players in here with elite talent."

Jack nodded.

"I recently had good intelligence the Astros are going to make you an offer."

Jack's eyebrows went up... his eyes widened.

"Didn't expect that, did you?"

"No, sir."

"I called Bill Ellison in Houston and confirmed he was going to make an offer. I suspect he's speaking with Jason right now. He so much as told me what the offer was going to be. Jack, I can't match the offer." He paused again.

"With the loss of Raines and the others, I'm going to make a recommendation to you. The Astros have good playoff prospects for the next six or more years. If you go to Houston, there is a strong prospect you will be in the World Series again within the next two to three years. That will absolutely not happen here."

Kirby paused to let Jack consider the information he had been given.

"Well, that's about it, Jack. I'm giving Jason a formal offer later today, but, I'm encouraging you to consider the Astros, or perhaps, an offer from a contender. Pittsburgh and the Dodgers are looking good over the next two years. So, do you have any questions of me, or perhaps Bill?"

"No, sir. I haven't any questions. I do have a comment or two. Thank you for helping me with the loss of Robert. The private plane and the time off were Godsends. Also, thank you for giving me the opportunity to show another team my talents. I don't think the Marlins were using me, and others, very well. You and Bill knew I could succeed and again, thank you. And, I will miss the friendships I have made over the course of this past year. And... well. That's it, I guess. There just won't be enough thank yous from me, Sir."

"Well said, Jack."

With that, the four men stood and shook hands.

"Jack," Ocher said, before Jack left the outer office. "You're the best player I've ever had. Thank you."

Jack nodded, smiled, then left the office. And then...

Left Kaufman Stadium... for home.

Chapter 92

"Daddy's home! Come with me, Mama!"

Patrice raced from the dining room window to the kitchen to await Jack's return from Kaufman Stadium. She snatched her mother's hand and pulled her along to the door that enters the kitchen from the garage.

Too small, Patrice begged her mother to open the garage door. Patrice stepped through the threshold and ran to her...

Daddy.

Jack picked her up and held her close to enjoy the warmth of the soul in his arms. He closed his eyes and drank in the unconditional love pouring from her tiny frame. He could feel Robert's presence.

"I love you, Patrice."

"I love you, Daddy."

Oh, those words, he thought. The sweetest words ever heard.

He opened his eyes to see his woman standing in the doorway. The woman he had been in love with since he was 15 years old.

She was smiling widely at the scene before her. The man she loves was loving her daughter.

He mouthed the words, "I love you." She returned the words silently.

"I have groceries for supper. Will you help me, Patrice?"

"Yeah!" she replied, and wiggled her way out of Jack's arms. He gave her a small sack to carry into the house.

"I bought ribeyes and hot dogs to grill tonight," Jack reported, as he neared Bérénice. "It's still warm for November. I thought I would get at least another grilling in before winter."

She nodded with a gentle smile. He gave her a quick kiss as he passed her into the kitchen.

"I'll tell you later, after the children are asleep. OK?"

*****

Jack entered the living room after placing John and Patrice in their beds. They fell asleep two pages into one of their favorite children's books.

Bérénice was relaxing on the couch, having taken a shower and wearing a thick terry cloth robe to ward off the chill in the house. Jack liked it cool in the house. Jack sat at her feet and began messaging them.

1...345678