An Unexpected Family Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you, Jack," she sighed, as she took the tickets from his hand. "You are so generous." She looked down into her lap. Jack sensed words he did not want to hear were about to be spoken.

"Bérénice says hello," he offered.

Diane nodded her head softly and looked up to Jack. She had a small tear on her cheek.

"Diane, I..." he paused. "I think I know what needs to be said, so, let me say it for both of us."

Before she could reply, Jack continued, "This is not the break I wanted. But, I understand your feelings. It's like I said at the club. I can't be your lover. And I know you can't be friends without me being your lover. They go hand and hand for you."

Jack broke down and placed his hand over his face.

"I will miss you, Diane. So very much," he cried, through a quivering voice.

Jack rose from his chair and gestured to Diane so he could hold her. They held each other for a few minutes to let the hurt soften a little.

"There will be no good byes for me, Diane," he said. "It is... until we meet again and embrace as friends."

With that, Jack opened the door and left.

Chapter 73

Bérénice was in the kitchen and heard the garage door going up and a car pulling in. She opened the door to the garage and found Jack smiling as though he hadn't seen her in years. She knew where he had been.

Jack pressed the button to close the garage door and stepped into her loving and welcoming arms. After they hugged and kissed as lovers do, she looked into his face without a word. Jack nodded gently.

"It went like I expected. You were right. We can't be friends without being lovers. As much as I want to be her friend, she equally wants to be my lover." He paused and looked at the floor. "It's over, Bérénice. It's time for me to move on with you and the children. I want you more than I need her. Again, you're right. It will hurt for a time, but, I will get over it. Now that I have you and the children with me, it will be easier."

With that, four cute eyes showed up at his feet... Two brown ones from John and two nearly black ones from Patrice. Jack smiled as he looked down on the smiling faces of his niece and nephew. He looked into Bérénice's eyes. Her eyes were nearly black, and he tried to focus to see if he could see the pupil within the iris of her eyes. He couldn't see the difference in color without being nose to nose with her. Exotic, he thought.

"How about lunch?" he announced. "Waffles at Waffle Hut?"

"Yeah!"

Chapter 74

Jack stepped over to first base to hold the runner who had just been walked by Nelson Ryan. Jack looked up to the scoreboard... Kansas City 1 Pittsburgh 2, bottom of the 7th, 1 out, game 4.

Kansas City had won the first three games of the World Series and Ocher and the players were hoping for a sweep, but, it wasn't looking good. Runners were on first and second with one out. A hit would score another run.

"TIME!" yelled Bill Ocher to the umpire as he stepped out of the dugout.

As Ocher walked to the mound, he motioned to Jack to join him.

Jack furled his brow in confusion. As Jack stepped up to the mound, he heard...

"You're done Ryan."

Ocher extended his hand to take the ball from Nelson, then slapped him on the butt as he left.

"You're in, Caron."

Jack couldn't believe his ears. His brain froze for a second to understand the words he heard. He blinked... Twice.

"What?" Jack replied.

"I need one out, Caron."

"Are you nuts? I haven't pitched since high school!"

"I need one out, Caron. I don't care how you do it. Quinn is up next. Lefty. Low and outside," Ocher ordered. Ocher placed the ball into Jack's hand. Ocher then turned to Baker, the catcher. "Give him the signs if you want something else. Fastballs only." Ocher then faced Jack again. "Low and outside."

With that, Ocher slapped Jack on the butt and returned to the dugout. The equipment manager ran past Ocher and gave Jack a right handed fielder's glove and took his mitt.

Jack looked up in stunned silence. He looked around PNC Park to find the crowd equally stunned as Jack.

Chapter 75

"What the Hell?!"

Bérénice turned from her mother to find Jack's father staring onto the field. Everyone in the suite was also staring toward the field in stunned silence.

Bérénice and her mother moved toward the window to see what was going on. Bérénice looked to the field to find Jack standing on the mound talking to the catcher. A few moments later, the catcher tapped Jack on the butt with his mitt and ran from the mound toward home plate, leaving Jack standing on the mound... alone.

"Oh, my God!" she yelped, clasping her hands over her mouth.

"Ocher's lost it!" John Caron growled.

Chapter 76

"What's going on, Doug?"

Baker smiled and tilted his head. "Ocher told me this might happen. Months ago. He's been clocking your throws to third, second, and home since the All Star game. That triple play got him to thinking. You're throwing the ball in the high 90s; sometimes, over a hundred; and with accuracy!" Baker paused for Jack to process what he had been told. "Look... Ocher is looking to throw Quinn and the rest of the Pirates off their game. One batter. That's it... Just Quinn." Jack nodded. Baker did, too.

"OK... Low and outside is one finger. Two fingers is up and in. Three is low and in"

Jack nodded again.

"Fastballs only. Nothing fancy and you're done."

"OK," Jack replied, with increasing confidence.

Baker smiled, slapped Jack on the butt with his mitt, and ran back to home plate.

Jack looked over to first base to find James Wheelock smiling and nodding, having taken his place on the field. He point his mitt at Jack. He mouthed, "Get 'em."

Jack stepped into the rubber and threw his first left handed warm up pitch to Baker. Low and outside. As he stepped back to the rubber, he glanced at the scoreboard. 97 miles per hour. His second warm up pitch... 99 mph.

Jack shook his head and didn't look at the scoreboard again for the remainder of his warm up pitches.

Jack took a deep breath and let it out slowly when he heard the umpire yell to play ball.

Quinn stepped into the left side batter's box and took his warm up swings. Jack stepped into the rubber, took the low and outside sign, applied his stretch, and held the runners at first and second. "What was Ocher thinking," he growled to himself. Then, he threw his first major league pitch.

The missile raced to the low and outside corner.

CRACK!

Silence fell upon PNC Park. Jack saw the ball curling rapidly down the third base line to the corner of left field.

"FOUL BALL!" yelled the left field umpire and echoed by the third base umpire. Both umpires waving their arms for foul.

"Damn," mumbled Jack.

Chapter 77

"Ocher is out of his mind!"

Bérénice stood in stunned silence while standing next to her father in law, who just offered his opinion of Ocher's mental state.

Then she managed to say something. "I didn't know Jack could pitch."

"He hasn't pitched since high school," her father offered.

"Why now?" she asked.

"Ocher's had a stroke," her father in law growled again.

At that moment...

Jack threw the pitch.

CRACK!

In unison, everyone in the suite turned their heads to the left to watch the ball sail into deep left field foul territory. In unison, an audible sigh left their lips.

"That pitch was 101 miles per hour," Frank Ouellet said, pointing to the scoreboard.

In unison, everyone looked at the scoreboard.

Chapter 78

With his back to the plate, Jack was rubbing the new baseball he just received from Baker; trying to calm his nerves and show Quinn he knew what he was doing.

Jack stepped into the rubber and took the low and outside sign. Applied his stretch, checked the runners, and launched his next missile. Low and outside.

Quinn whiffed.

"STRIKE TWO!"

Jack didn't dare look at the scoreboard. He took the throw from Baker and marched back to the mound, taking another adrenaline filled deep breath and exhaled slowly. He tilted his head to stretch his neck and rolled his shoulders.

Stepping into the rubber, he took the sign... low and outside. Applied his stretch and checked the runners.

Jack then launched his next missile.

"AH, SHIT!"

Chapter 79

Bérénice was holding her hands, prayer like, over her mouth and nose. Her mother was doing the same on her right. Her mother in law, on her left, was mumbling a "Hail, Mary" with her eyes closed and hands held out; palms up.

Bérénice had just witnessed Jack throw a strike to Quinn. She felt adrenaline enter her body and she was frozen in place, watching every move Jack made.

She held her breath as Jack stepped into the rubber. Moments later...

CRACK!

She watched in horror as the ball slammed into the side of Jack's upper left thigh near his hip.

A loud gasp consumed the suite.

Chapter 80

Jack knew when he let go of it, the ball was going straight down the middle of the plate. It was a bad mistake.

He thought he saw Quinn smiling.

CRACK!

Jack never saw it coming until it had already hit him in the side of his left leg, near his hip. He recovered quickly, not feeling any pain... yet.

He picked up the ball with his left hand. He quickly turned to second base to find Morris racing toward second from shortstop. Morris was pointing to second base, to let Jack know that is where he wanted Jack to the throw ball.

Without any hesitation, Jack threw a left handed strike, chest high, directly above second base. Morris snatched the throw without breaking stride, skipped across second base, and fired his throw, in one fluid motion, to Wheelock at first base.

"OUT!" cried the umpire at second base.

"OUT!" echoed the umpire at first base.

The crowd roared their approval. Those for the Royals, that is.

Then... the pain...

When Jack took his first step towards the first base dugout, he knew it wasn't broken. A bad bruise at worst, he thought, but, his leg had been numbed by the impact of the baseball, and he was limping. Karen Parsons met him at the first base foul line.

"It's not broken," he reported. "Bruised I think, but, the hit caused it to go numb."

"Do you need help?" she asked.

"No!" he snapped. "I don't want those pricks to know I can't play."

"OK," she giggled, as she walked beside him toward the dugout.

Jack looked up to find Diane, who was standing in her seat, clapping her hands, smiling and looking directly at Jack. He tossed a gentle wave to her.

Then...

He saw a familiar face he thought he would never see again. It froze him in his tracks...

"Robert?"

Chapter 81

"Robert?" he whispered, consumed in incredulous and paralyzing surprise.

Standing next to Diane, on her left, was his brother. Wearing a black felt cowboy hat, a starched shirt, blue jeans and applauding with a wide smile on his face. He nodded to Jack and mouthed the words, "It's OK. Bérénice loves you."

Jack was standing just outside the dugout staring into the stands at his brother. Unable to move or speak. His teammates were offering thanks and congratulations, but, Jack didn't hear a word. His eyes were focused on Robert.

"I asked for one out, Caron," barked Bill Ocher, as he stepped into Jack's field of view. "I suppose two outs will do. You're back at first next inning."

Jack tried to keep his eyes on Robert, but, Ocher blocked Robert out. When Ocher left, Robert was gone.

In his place...

Was a boy.

A boy who looked remarkably like Robert as a child. Jack shook his head and blinked his eyes, refocusing on the boy. "That looks like Robert," he whispered.

The boy was about 12 years old, dark hair, dark eyes, wearing a Royals baseball hat, and a white Royals baseball jersey with the number 7 on the front. He was smiling and clapping, along with the other fans near the Royals dugout. He was looking directly at Jack. Jack couldn't get over how he looked like Robert when they were younger.

Jack quickly gathered his thoughts. He motioned to Diane that he was going to send her a text message. Diane nodded. He raced to the locker room, pulled out his phone and typed in the message.

The boy on your left. Quickly. Send him to the right field side of the dugout. I want to speak with him. Now. Please.

He placed his phone back into the locker and raced back to the dugout, looking for the boy. He forgot about his leg bruise.

The boy was weaving down the row of seats toward the aisle, with a man following him. They turned left toward the dugout and saw Jack waiting for them. They smiled.

As the boy neared the fence, Jack said, "Hello, what's your name, young man?"

"Robert Caron," the boy replied, in a thick French accent.

Jack's heart skipped a beat... a lump formed in his throat and chest. He was amazed how much this boy looked like his brother and also had his name.

"Where are you from, Robert?"

"Quebec City, Canada. This is my Papa. His name is Robert, too."

Jack looked to the boy's father. The boy's father favored his own father.

Incredible, Jack thought.

"Look, I have to go. When are you returning to Quebec, Mr. Caron?"

"Tomorrow. We're staying in Pittsburgh tonight."

"May I meet with you and your son tomorrow morning? Say at 9 am. I will give you my phone number. Send me a text message telling me where to meet. I will bring you gifts. Baseballs, bats, jerseys. Please? Call me tomorrow morning. I would like to visit with you and your son."

"Papa, je veux le rencontrer. S'il vous plait," the boy said to his father. The father nodded.

"OK, Mr. Caron. I'll call you tomorrow morning. At 9 am," the father said.

Jack turned to get a pen and paper, but, bumped into Karen.

"What are you doing, Jack? You're in the hole!" she barked.

"Quickly! Give me a pen and paper! Hurry!" he replied, shaking his hand at her.

Karen presented both items from her hip pouch. Jack took them, wrote his phone number, and passed it through the fence to the father.

"Robert, do you have any brothers and sisters?" he asked the boy.

"Yes... One brother and three sisters," he replied.

"I will have gifts for them, too. I must go. I'll see you tomorrow."

With that, Jack waved to the boy and his father... and... smiled.

Chapter 82

"He doesn't look like he is OK," Jack's mother complained.

Bérénice was watching her man limping from the field with Karen by his side. Everyone in the suite were ecstatic for the double play Jack started.

"Marie," Bérénice offered her mother in law. "He's walking. At least it isn't broken." She sobbed softly, hoping it wasn't anything serious.

"Damn, Ocher. Luckiest sum bitch on the planet, only because of Jack," groaned John Caron.

"John!" Marie yelped. "Not here!"

Bérénice tried to laugh but was suddenly surprised by Jack's unusual behavior near the dugout.

Chapter 83

The top of the 8th inning found the Royals in the top of their order... Jack batting third.

Jason Morris led the inning with a 2-1 count single to the right center field fence. Jack stepped out of the dugout to the on deck circle, glancing toward Diane and the Caron father and son. He smiled at each of them and they returned his smile. Jack smiled at Marcy, too. She winked. He shrugged his shoulders and grinned to himself. At least those two are having fun, he thought.

He turned his attention to the game. Doug Baker took four pitches for balls and was awarded first base, moving Morris to second base. No outs.

Jack began his walk to the left side batter's box when time was called by Pittsburgh. The pitching coach for Pittsburgh began a slow walk to the mound to have a chat with Dan McKeenan, the Pirates reliever and saves leader.

When the umpire broke up the conference on the mound, Jack began another slow walk to the batter's box. He dug in and took his practice swings.

McKeenan took his stretch, checked his runners, and delivered his pitch.

"Sum Bitch!" Jack yelled, as the ball whizzed by his chin into the glove of the catcher. Jack felt the wind cross his face when the ball passed by.

"TIME!" cried the home plate umpire. The umpire pointed to the pitcher. "THAT'S A WARNING!" He then pointed to the Pirates dugout and repeated the warning. He turned to the Royals dugout, and again, repeated the warning.

Ocher came charging out of the dugout like a madman. The home crowd offered boos for Ocher's appearance.

"Bill! There won't be any retaliation on that pitch!" the umpire told Ocher as they met nose to nose.

"What the Hell?!!! Why didn't you throw him out? Their pitching coach told him to do it! That's why he came out to the mound!" screamed Ocher.

"That's enough, Bill! I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt! If he, or others, do it again, they're ejected, including the Pirates manager! And I won't have any retaliation from you. Try it Bill and out you go!"

"Bullshit!" Ocher replied, as he stomped back to the dugout.

"Step in number 7," the umpire ordered, as he returned to his position behind the catcher.

Jack stepped in and waited for the next pitch. Jack took two pitches. One for a ball and one for a strike. The count... 2-1.

Jack stepped out of the box, turned and looked at the Caron boy. He received a nod and a smile.

Jack stepped back in.

Then... McKeenan delivered his pitch...

CRACK!

Chapter 84

"The umpire's an idiot!"

Bérénice chuckled at her father in law's comments this evening. He obviously was excited about the prospect the Royals may very well win the World Series, as, she was also.

"That damn near hit Jack in the mouth!" John Caron offered again.

Jack took two pitches. One for a ball and one for a strike.

Bérénice noticed Jack looked toward the dugout before the next pitch.

CRACK!

"Oh, my God!" she squealed, as she saw the ball rocket toward right center field and careen off the wall, rolling rapidly back toward the infield. Pirate outfielders and the second baseman were racing to pick up the ball. She looked to the infield and saw Morris racing for home. Baker had already turned second and was nearing third.

The Texas Jackrabbit was already near second base looking to go to third. She saw Jack looking for permission from the third base coach. He was waving his arms to Jack to take third. She saw Jack tuck his head and dig for a sliding triple. She quickly glanced at Baker and found him nearing home plate for a stand up score. She then saw the right fielder had already fielded Jack's hit and had launched his missile to third.

Bérénice turned her attention to third base. She was oblivious to the cheers and encouragements offered in the suite to Jack.

The third base coach was laying down the slide signal to Jack.

"Oh my, God!" she cried. "It's going to be close!"

Chapter 85

Jack knew it was going to be close, but didn't care. He knew two runs had scored and the Royals were ahead 3-2. If he made it, OK. If not, OK, too.

He looked to the third base coach for a final sign. George Wells was signaling Jack to slide to the right side of the bag and come in head first. Jack complied with the instructions.

Jack felt the glove of the third baseman slap him in the face. But... Jack had his hand on the bag.

"SAFE!" cried the umpire.

Wells immediately called for time when he saw blood on Jack's face.

"TIME!" yelped the umpire.

Wells began motioning to the dugout for Karen to come out to check on Jack. Jack rose to his feet and felt blood slowly drooling from his cheek. He dusted himself off from the slide.

"That was one helluva hit and base running, Jack!" Karen barked, as she approached him. "You sure have the crowd worked up! Our dugout, too!" She then went to work on Jack's cheek.

The crowd was worked up because the Pirates were behind with only 6 outs left.

"It's just a scratch!" she reported. "Got the bleeding stopped." She cleaned the cut and wiped a glue stick across the cut and sealed it. She then stepped back to let the umpire inspect the cut. He nodded his approval.

1...345678