And What a Time It Was

Story Info
A simple tale of love, but love is never that simple.
78.1k words
4.59
1.9k
4
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story starts with a warning and I feel I should also put one here for you, dear reader. It is a long tale (sorry) and the sex comes a long way into it (sorry again).

It also has some references to violence and abuse (really sorry) but they are a feature of one of the characters.

Anyway... given that, I hope you enjoy.

________________

Chapter 1

My sister warned me about her.

"Sure, she's my best friend, but stay away from her, she'll fuck you over."

I had known Kate for years, a frequent visitor to the family home and constant companion to my sister. I also had a crush on her, one of those that starts early and someone goes from being your sibling's annoying little bratty friend to a cute girl and blossoms from there. Of course, nothing happened, we were too young really, but there had been flirting. She had no siblings and teased Suzy about her brother, often when I was in earshot.

"Hey Suze, your big brother is pretty cute for a nerd." being the most common one.

Despite my sister's warning, I was looking forward to meeting Kate again, although my excitement had been somewhat stymied by the look Suzy was giving me as she spoke.

"Seriously, don't!" she stared at me hard. "I don't know what's up with her, but she is gaining a reputation and not a good one."

"You talk with her about everything, so what's going on?" I asked, wondering how this shy and cute girl had gone off the rails.

"I have no idea. I've seen her go off with guys who have come over to talk with her when we are out. She'll just leave. She's turned into a flaky bitch." she said, the anger more at the loss of her friend than anything else I suspected. "Anyway, she's a prick tease, or worse, just remember that and don't get any thoughts into your head about doing anything." Her eyes softened. "I love her, but I love you more, you're my brother, a fucking annoying one at times, but still my brother. She's..." her voice trailed off as she thought what her friend was to her now, "She's Kate." she mumbled.

We were born three years and three days apart. A fabulous symmetry that enabled us to have joint birthday parties. Kate added to the symmetry by being three months ahead of Suzy. Kate had been at a fair few of the parties over the last eight years, in fact, I can't remember her not being at one in that time. This was a special one, Suzy was eighteen and I was twenty one and newly back from Uni. I didn't have many friends, so I had asked a few people from my new job. I had only been there four weeks, so didn't really know people, but there were a couple of guys who I had bonded with. There was also one who I hadn't. Alas, he had walked in as I asked Charlie and David to come and he accepted the non-invitation. Greg was that kind of guy.

"Ok. If I am not to try anything with Kate, then you have to avoid Greg." I said to Suzy.

"This isn't some mediation thing, I was trying to help you not get fucked over. Anyway, what's up with him?"

I gave her a brief rundown, the bragging of his conquests, his derogatory remarks about any girl he met, the usual laddish behaviour.

"And you invited him, why?" Suzy glared at me. I explained I hadn't really, he had just jumped at the invite of others and I was too green at the firm to really argue.

"Well, I am pretty sure he won't be bragging about me." Suzy said and smiled. She was pretty smart, but I worried about her, especially with bastards such as Greg in the same way as she worried about me with Kate. For a little sister, she was pretty cool and we looked out for each other, always messaging and emailing, even being friends on Facebook and teasing each other. in comments.

The party was at the family home. I had moved out a few weeks earlier, across the other side of London as it was better for work, plus, I had got used to being on my own now. I missed the place, it was in a good part of town, close to lots of parks and the river and my little one-bed place was on a busy road with barely a tree to be seen, but it gave me privacy. It didn't stop me going back to see Suzy, plus mum and dad for the weekends.

"Welcome to the party." Suzy and I greeted the guests. There weren't that many of mine and Suze had been reticent about inviting too many of hers as the parents had trusted us with the house and gone away for the weekend.

I didn't see Kate arrive, maybe she had been there earlier. She was such a regular visitor to the place she may well have a key and let herself in. I looked for her every time the door opened, but then she appeared on the sofa, looking shy and slightly awkward, a warm smile beaming at me.

"Hey stranger. How are you?" She said, standing and her arms going wide as I walked to her. "I hear you have a fancy schmancy job now." she giggled and the warmth in the room shot up.

I sat on the footstool and we started chatting. She was keen to hear about my job and how Uni had gone. We talked like we always did, easily with lots of laughing, frequently touching the arm of the other, flirting, but not, but maybe. Kate had dark hair and eyes and tended to look quite serious, until she warmed to you, then the sparkle would light up your soul as her soft laugh tickled over you. She was slim and quite modest in her look, which made my sister's comment all the stranger. I had always known her as quite shy, never really talking to people or giving much away, but, clearly, something had changed.

She was wearing jeans and t-shirt, nothing fancy or suggesting she would be eating any men tonight and I tried not to stare at her legs in the tight material. We chatted away, oblivious to anyone else, but I did see a glare from Suzy from across the room now and then. She told me of her own Uni plans and job ideas after that, wanting to move away, but still torn as she loved London. She would be going with Suzy to University and she looked forward to being on campus with her 'bestie'. She was clearly oblivious to my sister's concern and she would lean in closer as we talked, her soft breath on my cheek and the light in her eyes clear. I was torn, I trusted my sister, but my schoolboy crush was now a beautiful young woman and I could feel my heart racing as we spoke, just us in a little bubble.

"Hi Mark, great party." The voice threw me, I didn't recognise it and I looked to see Greg smiling widely, his eyes flicking to Kate. I didn't want to introduce him. "Who's your friend?" He scuppered my plans straight away.

"This is Kate." I said quietly, hating the words as they left my mouth. She looked up and smiled, but only a little and I took some faith in that. "Kate, this Greg. From work." His smile was slick, as were his moves and he quickly wedged himself onto the sofa next to Kate.

"Lovely to meet you, Kate." he said, the voice turning my stomach and Kate's head and her smile warmed. He started to ask her how she knew me and, with each question and answer, her body turned from me to face him, slowly, like a glacier until I was stuck fast, frozen out and trapped watching her as she was now sideways on to me and edging away. Her laughter now sickened me, the false lilt in it slapping me, taunting that it wasn't me causing it. I stumbled to think of something to say, but Greg had sat back on the side of the sofa and Kate had moved with him, slowly, surely, further from me until I wasn't anywhere in her vision.

I tried to catch her eye as I stood, heading to get another drink. Neither of them looked away, wrapped in each other. I stood and breathed deeply, trying not to vomit as my stomach sunk lower with each laugh from them.

"Sorry." Suzy said, squeezing my arm, "But..." she didn't need to say anything else. I understood. I breathed deeply as I stood in the garden, watching the aircraft pass in the darkening sky, the Swifts screeching between me and the jet.

"What changed?" I said, knowing Suzy didn't know. "I mean..." I stared at another aeroplane that rumbled over.

"I don't know. This is who she is. A guy pays her attention and she is his. Well, only if they are totally unsuitable."

"I am not sure he is unsuitable to her." I mumbled, feeling the bitterness rising.

"Is he the one you warned me about?" Suzy said, standing close, resting on my side as I tried to control my feelings.

"Yes. That's him. Maybe I should have warned her." I said, feeling choked.

"It wouldn't have mattered. In fact, it may have just encouraged her. I am sorry, Mark. really. For years I had hoped you two would... Imagine, my best friend and my older brother." She laughed, but a cynical one and I realised I hadn't been alone with that thought. "Anyway. I still love you." she added softly and hugged me.

We walked back inside and the sofa was empty. I walked around, hoping to find Kate and talk to her, try and bring her back, away from Greg, but she was nowhere to be seen. Worse still, Greg had gone too.

The party wound down. Everyone had been well behaved and nothing was broken. Charlie had tried to chat up Suzy, but they ended up just talking, all serious intent lost in the warm summer sky as they sat in the garden with various other friends as the gathering drifted away.

"Charlie was nice, but not my type." Suzy said as we tidied up. "He asked me out, but I was honest with him. He still said he'd like to meet. Is he trustworthy?"

I laughed. "You know I wouldn't trust anyone with you. No one would be good enough." I said and she gave me a little slap. "But, he's a nice guy. Very gentle and quiet. I was quite surprised to see him talking to someone, especially a girl."

"You could have said beautiful girl." Suzy said and crossed her arms across her chest to look angry.

"I could have, but he was talking to you." I said and then ran back to avoid her flailing arm as she laughed.

Then came the silence. We both knew what we wanted to say, but... I took a breath. "Kate vanished and..."

"Yeah, your creepy friend went too. I guess..." We looked at each other and I tried not to be sick.

"I really don;t know what to say." Suzy said quietly as I sat on the sofa, my head spinning. I had known Kate for years, I knew there were feelings, but I had hoped this party might be the start of something. A chance for us to get to know each other now we were adults and the 'schoolkid crush' tag was lost. It seems I was too late, my signals had been badly crossed by the earlier talking too, so easy and light, finishing each other's sentences at times as we laughed... until he had come along.

The weekend after the party had been subdued, Suzy and I going for walks. She had no messages from Kate, not indication she was ok, no thanks for the party. Nothing. "That's standard Kate." she said with a wry smile.

I didn't see Greg until Wednesday. Then I wish I hadn't. I was in the small kitchen area and I heard his laugh, it went straight to my insides and made me want to get rid of my lunch. He sat down and grinned at me.

"Thanks for the party." He said and slapped my shoulder. I wanted to slap him back, but didn't have a brick handy. "That bird was fucking fit." he added. It had taken all of ten seconds.

"Yeah, she's..." I couldn't think of anything to say in this context.

"Fucking 'ell." he chuckled and I had to stop eating. "Got her against a tree as I walked her home. She wanked me off as I fingered her snatch. Gave her a hard finger banging and I shot my load all over her skirt." He smiled with a look that suggested I give him a medal.

"Nice." I said and looked down, trying not to throw up.

"Yeah. Dropped her off at the bus stop. She had my spunk all down her." He laughed loudly.

"Then what?" I said, but I had no idea why, I didn't want to hear any more of this.

"Nothing." he said with that fucking annoying smile. "I sent her a message, hoping to hook up and get my hands on her again." he chuckled and my muscles strained to not hit the bastard. "But, she must have made a mistake with her number as it wasn't recognised." I looked up at him and blinked, several times. "She said she needed to get home early, so, after I'd cum, she said she had to go and..."

"Huh?" was all I could say.

"Yeah, hoped to get at her again. I mean, her tits looked good, but I didn't get a chance... Also, wanted to fuck her." He looked at me as if I would help him with this. "I don't suppose you have her number?" he asked with all the confidence of someone with no common sense.

"No. No I don't. She's my sister's friend, I don't have her number." It was actually true. I mean, I could get it quite easily, but I had never been given it.

"Oh." he said, but the idiotic look on his face remained. "Nevermind, Plenty more meat at the market." he said and I breathed in deep and hoped something heavy would smash through the window beside him. I smiled and threw my rubbish in the bin and walked away. He never mentioned her again. He didn't even ask.

The summer was quiet. Most weekends I would go 'home'. I didn't see Kate, but Suzy had, briefly. She was ok and didn't mention the party, but had asked how I was. Suzy told me she wanted to tell her what a bitch she had been, but realised that Kate just didn't understand how she had treated me and re-iterated that I was better off not getting involved, she was "A complete bitch and prick tease." and was only interested in a "Fuck and run." I understood,, but it didn't solve the heavy feeling inside as the girl I fancied moved further away.

"Have you got any other cute friends then?" I asked Suzy.

"Oh fuck off." she laughed and we continued to watch the sky turn orange over West London as summer went away, the Swifts having dragged it south with their wings.

Chapter 2

"HEY! How ya doing big bruv?" I took a step back, really not expecting Kate to be there when I opened the door. I actually looked at the number to check it was the right house.

"Hey." I mumbled and caught sight of Suzy scampering down the hallway, looking concerned. "You know you're not my actual sister, right?" Kate stared at me and pouted.

"Not yet, but I am hoping you parents will adopt me for Christmas." she smiled at me. That sweet, warm smile and my frosty attitude melted in its sun.

"Yeah, a dog may be for life, but a bitch is for Christmas." Suzy said as she reached us, almost barging her friend away to open her arms around me.

"Hey actual sis." I said as we laughed and then moved back and looked at each other as we still held the other.

I hadn't seen Suzy since the end of summer and she had gone off to Uni, Kate with her, the inseparable best friends. She had changed a little, still growing into womanhood. Her hair was now longer and she flicked it around as if to show it off. She held herself higher too, confident now. I heard a soft cough, but we both ignored it and smiled, then hugged more.

Kate hadn't changed much, still cute and hard to get my eyes away from. Her hair was in a long bob, but that was the only change, she still looked awkward and shy, except with her friend and fake brother. She was fidgeting as Suzy and I hugged, shuffling in the hallway and then waving to beckon me in and leading us to the living room as if I didn't know the layout of the house.

"Sorry, I didn't get a chance to warn you." Suzy whispered as we held back just enough to be away from Kate's ears. Her eyes showed concern and then they flashed. "Hey, Kate, I'll just show big bruv his room." she called and yanked me towards the stairs and we hurried up and I threw my bag on the bed.

"What's going on?" I whispered, although it felt like shouting.

"Her parents are breaking up. Badly." Suzy said, looking around to check Kate wasn't following us. "She was distraught. I mean, full on body shaking crying type. She said she had nowhere to go, so..."

I smiled at Suzy. Even though Kate had gone somewhat rogue, she wouldn't abandon her.

"Just... try and be nice." She whispered.

"I will. She's your friend. She's mine too, I guess, it's just..."

"Have you even seen her since the party?" I shook my head and felt that hollow feeling inside again. "Do you message or text?"

"I don't have her number. I see her posts online and we like each other's, but that's the extent of our contact since the summer." I said and really wanted to go back to my tiny flat and spend Christmas alone.

"Come on. Let's try and act normal. She's having a shit time and I'm sure she wants to have her big brother around." Suzy laughed. "She talks about you a lot. It's odd you haven't been in any contact." she said as she checked down the hall to see it was clear.

"What do you mean?" I had that sudden spark inside again.

"Just... you know. Asks if you are ok. Says she misses you to talk to. Even..." Suzy blushed a little and checked the hall again. "Even uses you as a comparison to how cute some guys are." She looked at me and I saw the look in her eyes. The look of 'I have no fucking idea' and she sighed. "Just, don't get involved." she said quietly and squeezed my hand and we walked downstairs to see our 'adopted' sibling.

"Did he find his room alright?" Kate asked, smiling with her head tilted. She knew we were up to something, we actually were like siblings, it was hard to keep secrets.

"It was right where I left it." I said and then bounced down on the sofa next to her, causing her to shriek with laughter and she hugged me and fell against my side and my arm automatically went around her and I saw Suzy give me that look again.

"I'll put the kettle on." she said as she stomped out to the kitchen.

"Where's mum and dad?" I called, Kate still wrapped around me.

"They went off as they only have the one ton of food." Suzy said, the sound of the crackle of the kettle getting louder. "Also, because someone is vegetarian, they had to buy even more food, because, you know, there aren't enough vegetables here already."

"Who's vegetarian?" Kate asked, finally relenting with her hug.

"Me." I said and she moved back to look at me.

"Since when?" her head went to one side again.

"Since two years ago." She blinked at me.

"Why didn't you tell me?" she said, sounding hurt for some reason.

"You never noticed I always had the veggie option when we went out anywhere?" I said, trying to decide whether to laugh or be annoyed she had taken no notice of me.

"I was too busy checking you out." she giggled and I was sure I heard Suzy swear from the kitchen.

Our parents arrived back shortly after, laden with bags, bottles clanking as the three of us helped unpack and they laughed at their extra child getting in on the act.

I had never understood, but our family would celebrate on the evening of the twenty-fourth. We weren't Scandinavian or eastern European. Apparently, it had started years back and just continued. Suzy and I had been so used to it, we just assumed everyone else was doing it wrong. It did mean that Christmas Eve was busy as food was prepared. So much food. Yes, there was an extra guest, but she hadn't brought her family as the kitchen carnage would indicate. Suzy and I headed out as mum and dad prepared stuff and Kate insisted on helping as payment.

"How's your love life?" I teased her and she glared at me.

"Well... I did meet a cute guy, but someone got there first." she snarled and I regretted my silly question. "She did her usual, went off with him, fucked him over and didn't want to even speak to him again. So, he stopped hanging out with me as well." Suzy kicked a stone down the path and it smacked against a tree.

"Maybe it was good. I mean, if he went after her for a quickie." I tried to be kind and help my sister out of her sudden slump.

"Maybe. But still. I have lost several male friends to her. Once word got out, they just faded away." Another stone clattered along, powered by anger, "Her reputation is pretty bad and it's only been one full term." Suzy said, sadness mixed with the slight rage in her voice.