Apprehended Ch. 21

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I glanced up and froze, unable to formulate coherent thought or movement for long, tense seconds.

Seconds that filled me with utter dread. Seconds that shifted my reality into shattered, defective pieces that no longer held the promise of progression. Instead, I was transferred into the past; the past where Ethan was non-existent. A past that was a nightmare with no end.

Because life without Ethan was no life at all.

And as I stared into the male's cold, lifeless eyes, I realized that Ethan truly didn't have a place there. He didn't belong in what had previously transpired. They were two separate entities in two different times and locations. I found that it pained me even more than confronting the agony head-on. It hurt me in new ways, dividing me and stressing that despite my happy present, nothing could hide the horror of my tainted past.

The restaurant faded in obscurity. Lily faded into obscurity. And sadly, even my Ethan had disappeared, no longer invading my thoughts. No longer the safety net that made me feel secure. Because he wasn't here. I would always carry the weight of my abuse like a chain, and no one-not even Ethan-could bear the force of it for me.

I suddenly felt bereft and cold; a lifeless being with no rhyme or reason for existence...floating into a realm that alienated me from the world...from my dear Ethan.

Here and now, it was only him and I.

Him and I.

Him and I.

The male in front of me smiled sardonically, revealing straight white teeth. "Fancy seeing you here, Annie."

I swallowed the bile that resurfaced. Only, I had no intention of vomiting. I was too stunned to do anything other than stare...and shiver. I tried to move away but he squeezed my upper arms, holding me in place...unwilling to let go. To let me go.

I briefly wondered how he knew I was here.

"Now, now," he said, lowering his voice slightly. It was deep. Deeper and darker than I remembered. It was ragged and guttural; filled with hostility. Filled with hatred and rage. I wanted to get away from it. It blanketed me in darkness. It was a voice derived from nightmares. "That's not polite. Why don't you introduce me to your new friend."

I barely registered whom he was speaking of. In fact, I didn't register anything or anyone other than him. His presence was suffocating. It was revolting and sickening. It invaded my senses, filling me with a pain so severe, I was momentarily rendered ignorant.

"Annie?" he warned, forcing a wider smile.

I was unable to answer his question specifically. I was too dazed and confused. Too scared and out of focus. I said the only thing that was eurhythmic. "How did you find me?"

He squeezed my arms impossibly tighter. "I heard this lovely woman call your name as you passed my table," he said.

I shook my head back and forth in disbelief. Of all the places. Of all the times. He had to be here. Here. In the very same restaurant that I happened to be dining in.

Fate was most definitely a cruel bitch.

"Annie, who is this?" asked Lily. She stood beside me, grabbing my hand and squeezing it lightly.

It grounded me and I inhaled sharply, realizing what was happening. Realizing that this certainly wasn't going to end well.

I glanced at Lily uneasily, giving her a silent warning with my eyes. I wasn't sure if she understood what I was wordlessly conveying, but it was worth a shot.

"I'm Annie's fiancé," said Jerry, offering her a hand. He spoke for me.

He spoke of lies.

Lily's eyes widened and she stared at his hand, unwilling to accept it before refocusing on me, completely confused.

I was no longer his fiancé. His audacity knew no bounds. It both terrified and angered me. After all this time apart, it seemed that separation did little to alter his true nature of deceit.

Lily must have realized something was monumentally wrong, because she smiled warmly and played along, finally accepting his hand. "I'm Lily. Annie's acquaintance."

"Is that so?" asked Jerry, towering over us with his height. Though he was tall, Ethan was so much taller.

Ethan.

My strong Ethan.

I suddenly craved him, wishing he would show up or see us at any minute. I wanted to be in the safety of his arms. I wanted his protection now more than ever. Because Ethan was my haven; my home and sanctuary. Never had I wanted someone as desperately as I wanted him...amongst this slithering monster.

I tried to steal a glance at our table, hoping Ethan would see me. But Jerry followed my every movement, making it a point to block my view.

"Annie has very little friends. How did you meet?"

Lily was about to give him what was no doubt a fake answer, but I spoke first, unable to let the conversation go further than necessary. I had to alert Ethan. I just didn't know how. Especially in a full restaurant. "What are you doing here, Jerry?"

He shifted, releasing my arms to take my hand and squeeze it tightly in his large palm. I hid my wince, unwilling to show him the pain he loved to inflict. Which made him smile broader. "I'm here with my parents. Why are you here?" he asked. "You're not one to leave without telling me." He emphasized his meaning by squeezing my hand so harshly, I felt the bones crack with the severity.

I couldn't hide my whimper of pain fast enough.

But things were about to get worse. Much worse.

"What's this?" asked Jerry.

"I forgot my blush in the bathroom," said Lily, interrupting Jerry's abuse. She tossed him another fake smile. "I'll be right back."

Jerry ignored her, his eyes solely on me. Things were about to get worse. Much worse.

"What's this?" he asked, lifting my left hand for a gander.

Shit.

Fuck.

He was looking at my engagement ring.

"You move quickly, don't you, whore?"

I winced. I loathed that word.

"What sort of idiot asked you to marry him?" He laughed. "Surely, he's desperate." He turned my hand harshly, the ring catching the light of the chandeliers above. "Expensive too. You snagged a rich man?"

I didn't answer.

"Oh come on," he said. "You can tell me. You shouldn't be ashamed. In fact, the poor bastard should be. He did ask you to marry him after all. Unless...he's a loser? You're not worthy of getting any decent man. Which means he's either extremely old or a thief. The list is quite endless. You can attract even the dumbest of sorts."

I glared, unable to hide my tears. "Clearly that's true considering you're my ex."

He didn't like that. He shifted and wrapped a hand around the nape of my neck, giving another squeeze that made my eyes water. "I'm the best thing you ever had, you fat, fucking, ugly bitch. You were lucky to have me. You're also lucky that I'm willing to take you back. You see, you'll find that I am a very understanding man. But there are conditions if you wish to have me."

Was he serious?

"If you ever leave me again," he threatened, his voice dark and low, "I'll find you...and chop you up into little tiny pieces. Only then can you truly say you'll be skinny. I'd be doing you a favor."

I tried to pull away, but he was strong. He kept me in place, his hands hot and unyielding. He leaned in, inhaling my scent with a grimace.

"You don't smell the same, princess."

I held a sharp intake of breath. He reeked of his cologne. A cologne I absolutely abhorred. One that filled my senses with battered memories.

"You don't look the same either." He cocked an arrogant brow. "Who are you staying with?" He glanced around. "Is he here with you?"

I gritted my teeth and spat, "none of your business."

He tangled his fingers through my hair and pulled the strands, forcing my head back slightly. "Don't make a scene, Annie. You wouldn't want your friend coming back out here and seeing what I had to do to you to keep you in line. We all know that it won't end well for you." He smiled. It held no benevolence. "You are positively radiant, my princess." He pressed a nasty kiss across my cheek. His breath reeked of wine. "Someone is taking care of you...and I'm determined to find out who the asshole is." He chuckled lowly. A few people at a table nearby turned to stare, but Jerry made it a point to look completely casual. He pressed his lips to my ear and whispered, "is his dick as big as mine? Does he give it to you good, princess?"

Tears fell down my cheeks...

Just as Ethan arrived...his eyes alight with rage...his body tense in power.

He moved so quickly, his body was a blur; faster than the speed of light. One moment, I was in Jerry's arms, and the next, I was free. Ethan had yanked him away from me with such force and celerity, it took me a solid thirty seconds to process what was happening.

I gaped, my eyes widening in horror as every head turned to focus on us in the crowded restaurant. Ethan held Jerry against a wall; his hand wrapped tightly around Jerry's thick neck. His feet hovered above the floor as Ethan held him effortlessly.

He growled, an inhuman sound that reverberated throughout the expanse. "You dare touch my female against her will...in a crowded restaurant...with me nearby?" Ethan smiled, revealing elongated fangs that made Jerry's eye's bulge. "That's either extremely stupid of you...or extremely bold," he said, tightening his hold.

Jerry grabbed at Ethan's hands and arms, attempting to break free. Several onlookers screamed in panic. I took a step forward, reaching out to Ethan to stop him. We were in public.

Ethan held out his free hand, stopping me in my tracks with a finger pointed in my general direction. His eyes never shifted off of Jerry. "Don't you come any closer, Annie. Don't you fucking dare."

I shivered. Ethan never spoke to me in such a way. Nor had I ever seen him so lost to his animal.

Jerry was turning an odd shade of blue, his body convulsing as he tried to breathe.

Ethan was strangling him.

He leaned in, his height towering over Jerry; making him seem small and insignificant. "I am the reaper of death, motherfucker. One twist of my hand and you're dead. I deem your fate." Ethan sneered, his expression contorting slightly as his wolf threatened to break free.

He squeezed tighter. Jerry faded out of consciousness and more people screamed. No one interceded.

No one dared. Not against Ethan.

He was a monster. A palpable inhuman being hell-bent on killing.

Gavin pushed passed, urging me back with a shove to my shoulder. I jerked as warm hands encompassed my arms and held me tight-my back flush against a body.

Janet.

"Let him go," Gavin demanded. He invaded Ethan's space, showing no fear.

Ethan turned to him, his eyes wild and unsteady. He was breathing harshly, his breath ragged and uneven. His veins bulged and his body was so tense, he came off as a rigid, immovable statue. "He hurt my female," Ethan grumbled, pulling Jerry back to slam his entire body against the wall.

The power of it caused Jerry to open his hooded lids momentarily.

"He threatened my mate when I was in the goddamn vicinity!"

"I know that," said Gavin calmly and lowly. "Believe me, I know...but you have to ease up on him, Alpha. We're being watched. You cannot kill a human in a room full of onlookers."

Ethan's eyes glowed and he growled again, his wolf rising to the surface with every breath.

I stole a glance at our surroundings. All eyes were on Ethan. All were horrified. All were witnesses. And Ethan was on the cusp of shifting, revealing the impossible amongst strangers who would no doubt take out their phones to expose the truth of what they were witnessing.

"Ethan," I called out.

He froze.

And turned to look at me, his eyes and body on fire.

"Please," was all I said. It was low and filled with pain.

It was also all he needed to hear.

Immediately, he released Jerry, who fell to the ground in a heap. His parents arrived, rushing passed Ethan to tend to their son, who was unconscious on the floor.

Ethan turned on his heel and ignored the petrified stares as he stalked over to me. He lifted me effortlessly and carried me away from the scene. "Get the coats," he barked at Gavin.

Gavin obeyed as we all left.

We exited the restaurant in silence. No one stopped us. Gavin handed Ethan my coat on the sidewalk and Ethan wrapped it around my body, holding me closer to him. However, I wasn't cold.

I was numb.

We stopped by Ethan's truck. He turned to face his Aunt and Uncle, who followed quietly behind us. "Aunt Janet, Uncle Levi, can we see you tomorrow evening? Dinner at my house?"

"Yes, of course my boy," said Janet, looking solemn. "Annie...are you alright?" she asked, approaching to touch my hand.

I held back a wince. Jerry had squeezed my hands. "I'm fine," I lied.

She nodded gravely. "If you need anything...any of you," she said, looking at her son, Lily, Ethan and I, "you call us. We'll be at the hotel. We will be there all week. Don't hesitate."

"Absolutely," said Gavin.

"Alright," she said. "Goodnight." We exchanged our goodbyes.

Ethan placed me in the passenger seat when Janet, Levi, Gav and Lily left, buckling me in and grabbing a blanket from the backseat to cover me. He held out his hand. "Let me see, female."

I knew what he was asking. He wanted to check my hand.

With trembling fingers, I lifted my palm to his...and inhaled sharply the minute he held it.

"Easy," he whispered, assessing it. He muttered a curse before adding, "keep your fingers still. They're bruised."

I didn't really care about the injury. I was too numb. Too lost in the crashing waves of disbelief. Too focused on the scene that just took place.

But Ethan's rage was stronger than ever. He pulled out and slammed the door shut, walking over to the driver's side. He started things up and began driving in silence, his hands squeezing the steering wheel with force.

I could tell that he was attempting to control his blatant, untamed rage. A rage that threatened to break free in the form of his wolf.

But he was holding off.

No doubt for me. Always for me.

We drove in silence, the ascent filled with heavy snow. A heavy presence. Like the very heaviness that weighed upon the truck...my head...my being. The same heaviness that afflicted Ethan, who was just as lost to the waves as I was. There were little words to expatiate the turn of events. I wasn't expecting to see my nightmare tonight. Ethan wasn't expecting to protect me from them in a physical, corporeal form. He always took care of my emotional detriments. Having the culprit was something else entirely.

Despite my current life with Ethan-which was still so new and raw-I was grateful for the small reprieve away from Jerry. There was a poison in my past, and it had no right to claim my present. Not with Ethan. However, when I saw him, I realized how easy it was for that poison to seep through the cracks.

That terrified me more than Ethan's near shift in a restaurant full of people.

We arrived home rather quickly. Ethan picked me up and carried me inside, sitting on the couch with me on his lap. He didn't turn on the lights. He didn't start a fire. We simply sat there quietly; the sounds of the night permeating the thick silence of the cabin.

Only to be broken by my sudden cries.

I buried my face in Ethan's neck and cried like never before. It was a deep, solemn cry; one that thoroughly relieved me of my agony-both physical and mental. He held me through it, whispering words that I couldn't discern. But I held onto him like a lifeline, squeezing him closer to me, hoping to lose myself in his love and his body. His security and understanding.

I was grateful for him.

So fucking grateful.

And when I was finished, we sat there a little longer. I was spent. Ethan let me be, simply holding me and grounding me. He pressed me against him tightly, never letting me go. He kissed my forehead, my face, my eyes, nose and lips. Lastly, he kissed the top of my head and finally got up with me still in his embrace.

He carried me upstairs and placed me on our bed. He took off my boots and coat, wrapping me underneath the blankets with my clothing still on. He slipped in beside me, wrapping me up once more against his strong, hot body; my back to his front.

And I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

It was not lost on me that Ethan slipped out of bed sometime during the night, donning his boots and exiting the room silently. I didn't know where he was going.

But I had a pretty good idea.

12