Blueprints Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"In terms of what, honey?" His expression eased.

She rolled her dark eyes, a smirk tugging at her lips. "I don't know, feelings, attraction, all that stuff that seems to have evaded me."

Steve contemplated the question, swirling the deep purple liquid in his glass as he did so. "No." He decided firmly. Her dark eyes flashed in surprise. "I used to think it did. But now, no. I think it's down to the person." He rested his hand on hers. "I know you hate to hear this, but it's not your first time with another woman and those girls never changed how you are when it comes to relationships."

"Those hardly counted. And, anyway how do you think I am with relationships?" A hint of defence creeping back into her voice.

"Hell, you're like me." Steve said, cracking a brilliant smile. "We are these gregarious, outgoing folk, life and soul, but it's all a big defence. It's the look at us, we are so content without you, I don't need you to make me happy."

"I don't think it's a defence." She frowned. "It's just, the truth? I've never met anyone that made me-" She stopped herself, "I've just never, haven't." Jesus, this wine is lethal, "Haven't met anyone that I've really clicked with. That doesn't mean I'm not friendly, up for a laugh."

"I agree." He smiled. "But, you're also guarded, or you usually are. Maybe something's changed?"

"Well obviously not." The stammering defensiveness of her voice betraying the point she was attempting to make. "That's not going to change after one night with anyone."

"Look." Steve filled her glass before she could stop him. "Just, take it easy, see where it goes, don't go doing anything daft because you've got feels for the first time."

"I don't have feels." She mumbled.

Her mind was already slipping back to Professor McKenzie, when Steve, finally, changed the conversation. "So, since you've been such a bitch," She raised a warning eyebrow in his direction, but allowed the quip to pass, "You need to do me a favour, two favours actually."

"Oh aye?"

"Aye. You'll love it, well the second one you will and that one's not really a favour, more a-"

"Spit it out, babes."

"Right, I've got this trail run in a few weeks, you know the one up north." Zara nodded slowly. "And I start my sponsored cycle just after it." Again, she nodded, her hazed mind not really seeing where this was going. "Well, you need to do it for me."

Zara choked on her drink. "Will I fuck." She blurted a little too loudly. "You were a mess after it last year."

"Exactly. I can't be doing it and hurt myself. No way I'm risking the cycle." He kept going before she could interject. "You said last year that you'd love to push yourself to do something like that. You're fit, we've been training loads. Why not put it to good use?"

"I can't do that! The type of running I do and that race are two completely different things!"

"No, they're not, plus you're competitive, no way you'll allow yourself to not give it a decent go." He grabbed her hand again. "Pleeeaaasseee."

"Oh for God Sake!" The young woman snapped. Even the thought of the gruelling run up slippery slopes, through woods, hurtling down the mountain's craggy paths, was, was, kind of exhilarating?

Maybe it was the wine, maybe it was this pleading face, or maybe because the focus may help push her bubbling feelings back where they belonged. "Let me check my diary."

"Smashing!" Steve smiled. "Honestly, Zara, can't thank you enough."

"So, what was the second thing? I need something good after just agreeing to that." A feeling of regret already clutching at her.

"Oh! Well, I actually got some good news." The young man elaborated on his upcoming philanthropic journey through South East Asia. "So my work have committed to gifting an additional 50% on top of the funds I raise, some tax bullshit no doubt, but whatever, it's all money in the bank." He said excitedly with a flick of his hand. "And, they have also given me another week off work. So, I was thinking, I'm out there anyway, I'll stay and chill. Maybe see Vietnam or somewhere?"

"That's great." Zara exclaimed, beaming at her jubilant friend. "You should stay for a bit longer; actually enjoy the place."

"Yeah! With you!" He beamed. "You said you'd love to come with me, back when I signed up."

Zara didn't scoff, brush it off, or tell him he was being ridiculous. Instead, she regarded him thoughtfully before retrieving her phone from her pocket. Opening the calendar, she flicked it forward to November.

"This is crazy." She muttered.

"You said you have loads of holidays to use up." He reminded her.

She nodded, glancing at the schedule. Work was busy, very busy. Then again, when was it not?

"I'll put some money towards your flight seeing as it's so last minute." Steve pleaded.

"No you will not! If I go, I'm paying my way. But thanks."

A frown formed across her face after several moments. "I mean, I've always wanted to go, it's on the bucket list, but an eighteen hour flight is such a long way to go for seven days, Steve."

"Why only go for a week?"

She cocked her head, causing her ponytail to flick to one side. "Fair point."

*********************

"And that leaves Jason and Zara. Jason, what's on your four week plan? Any scope to get anything closed out?" Stephanie Buchan asked, standing at the head of the boardroom.

"Not a snowball's chance in a hot place, boss. Girl Wonder here," He gestured to Zara, not noticing his colleague's vacant expression, "Sorting out that excavated basement means I'm at capacity and then some." The man grumbled before rambling his way through the rest of his weekly report.

Every Thursday morning the little team; five architects and the two partners, would meet to provide the status of their projects. It was a good way to voice challenges, concerns, and pick up work from a colleague who may have been thrown off course, as was often the the way in their industry.

These meetings had proved invaluable to the young woman's quick success within the company; she'd sat here and, with a slight push from Stephanie, picked up some of her most prestigious designs. However, today the Buchan & Bruce team could have been offering her the refurbishment of Edinburgh Castle and she'd be none the wiser.

Zara's mind continued its struggle to push past her Joanna induced daze. Instead of functioning at its usual quick speed, her brain merely replayed their encounter over and over again. It was doing little for her productivity, not to mention she was going through underwear at an alarming rate.

She lusted to crack through, preferably with her mouth, that stoic facade once more. The way Joanna had hesitated when Zara straddled her made the young woman curious about how Joanna truly wanted to be pleasured. The most obvious answer was that Joanna would bestride her face. Grind herself into Zara's mouth. Probably more than her mouth; her chin, nose, cheeks.

The young woman swallowed hard, unaware of where her unfocused eyes were resting. Joanna would probably want to use her hands, wouldn't she? Getting Zara off, causing her that delicious discomfort seemed to please Joanna just as much, maybe more so, than anything Zara could do to her.

Yes, she'd definitely use her hands; those groping dexterous fingers would trail down Zara's torso as she lay, helpless, under Joanna. Nails would rake at the young woman's smooth skin before toying with her breasts. She'd take a handful of the soft flesh, gripping Zara's tits before finally pinching her hard nipples. Zara shifted in her chair, completely unaware of the conversation around her.

Joanna would probably enjoy her crying out into her; that was a given. Maybe she'd pull her hair too, force her head this way and that. To do all this Joanna would have to be in some sort of reverse-cowgirl position. Is that even what it's called when it's two women? Subconsciously, the young woman tilted her head at the mental image. From that position, Joanna could bring her own mouth to Zara's-

"Millar!" Jason's voice hissed.

Zara jumped at the elbow that had dug into her bicep. "What? Sorry!" She stammered, eyes refocusing on Stephanie who was regarding her with a mixture of expectancy and annoyance.

"Come on, Zara. We've not got all day. What's your status report?"

"My status? Oh. Right. Erm." She felt like her brain was fumbling with its zipper as she tried desperately to push the sixty-nining image from her mind.

She stammered through her updates which, despite her uncharacteristically idle output, were progressing. "So, we've," she gestured to Stephanie, "got another catch up with the council about the Leith development later today. St Mary's has made no progress because the civil engineers are still looking into the subsidence, so I can help with the excavated basement if needed and the planning permission still isn't through for Joa- for Albert Street."

"The Council are the bane of our existence just now; everything is sitting with them." Stephanie tutted, eyes turning to slits momentarily. "You're all going to have to be mindful that they'll end up doing their usual- holding onto applications to just before the end of the year and then grant everything at once. Nevermind." She decided, her eyebrows unworming. "Better to be busy, eh?" There was a resounding agreement around the table.

"Zara." The young woman's wondering mind snapped back to the present. "Who's the Albert Street application sitting with?"

"Harry North, as far as I know."

"Go and give him a phone after this meeting. See what the turnaround time is on that application. Least we can do is try to get ahead with the smaller projects."

"Whilst you're on the phone to him." Jason turned to her, "Gonna flirt the application for my loft conversion through?"

"Jason!" Stephanie snapped. "We don't flirt our way into or out of anything. But," She turned her attention back to Zara, a smile splitting her lips. "Maybe just this once, you know he's got a soft spot for you."

Her fingernails drummed against her desk as she waited to be put through. Harry was a pleasant enough man, however the young woman was eager to get the call over with. Zara had only just realised she was supposed to have updated the plans for the Leith development, therefore she was uncharacteristically ill-prepared for her forth coming meeting. So now, when she could really do with pushing the Professor from her mind, Zara found herself being forced to think of her, albeit in a professional capacity.

"Zara. Thanks for holding. How are you?"

"Thanks for taking the call. I could have tried again later if you're in the middle of something."

"No, not at all. How are you?" He persisted.

"Yes, I'm well thank you." She glanced at Jason who had caught her eye by, much to her amusement, pushing what he could of his chest together and pouting in her direction. She waved him off with a grin and attempted to concentrate on the phone call. The architect put up with the exchange, succumbing to the man's desire to waste her time.

"Reason for the call," Her voice in that octave reserved for getting her own way, "I'm really needing to give the client feedback regarding the decision on Albert Street. The application is submitted under my name and the owner is a, Doctor Joanna McKenzie. It's a simple extension, tasteful, back of the property. Shouldn't be an issue surely, Harry?"

"And my loft." Jason hissed.

"I know just the one you're referring to Zara; Morningside, extra hundred and twenty metres and yes, as you say, a tasteful L-shape. Hardly surprising, seeing as I'm assuming you designed it." Pass the bucket, she thought as she gave her best fake laugh. "Look, it's a verbal yes from me and I've had approval on that, however, as you know until the paperwork is done we can't give you the green light to do anything."

"No, no, of course not. We are swamped here and it gives us an idea of how to plan up until the end of the year. So, thank you so much for the feedback."

"Yes, noticed Buchan & Bruce are never out of our offices at the moment. In fact, a little birdie said you're down here this afternoon?"

"Yes, myself and Stephanie will be popping down later today." She hesitated.

"Excellent. I'm in all day, so perhaps we'll bump into each other."

"Sounds great." The young woman retorted, trying to sound professionally keen.

"Magic. Anything else I can do for you?" The brunette just really wanted to get off the phone and her pleading expression said as much when she glanced in Jason's direction.

"Just ask!" He urged in a loud whisper.

Zara gestured for him to keep his voice down, sighed and reinvigorated her scrupulous tone. "Actually, Harry, now you mention it."

"Another four weeks! Why?" Jason demanded when she killed the call.

Zara mumbled something about the change in design sending the application back to the bottom of the pile. "Was going to be eight before I talked him round."

However, young woman wasn't really concentrating on her colleague's annoyance. She was already navigating through her phone. The unofficial update was an ideal excuse for her to contact Joanna who she'd not spoken to since Sunday evening. Just the thought of it sent a pleasurable shudder through her. Nonetheless, Zara pulled up short, sitting her phone down as her mind flicked back to the brief conversation in Joanna's car.

Following the hallway escapade, Joanna had encouraged the shaken girl to go and get dressed so she could be taken home. In the short time it took Zara to do so and follow the Professor out to her car, the stoic facade had well and truly solidified. Nonetheless, this didn't stop Zara stealing glances at the woman as she drove. Well, more than glances; she indulged herself in taking in Joanna's flawless bone structure, quick glinting eyes which flicked periodically to the rear-view mirror and the way her slender but strong fingers gripped the leather steering wheel.

"Which one are you?" Joanna had asked, looking out at the rows of sandstone.

"Just here's fine, thanks." Zara tried to say casually. What she really wanted to do was ask Joanna in. However, no excuse apart from the obvious came to mind and given that the blonde hadn't gifted her with so much as a glance, she'd rather not set herself up for the fall.

"Zara." Joanna began, turning to the young woman and fixing her with a piercing stare, "Do not call me."

Disappointment must have flitted across the young woman's now tight face as she absorbed the statement. However, was she that shocked; really, what had she expected? For this, successful, intelligent, bewitching woman to drop her guard for Zara? Fine, she may have said she wanted to see the young woman again, but a lot could be voiced in the heat of the moment. Hell, following the way she had clammed back up, it took quite a stretch of imagination to picture Joanna McKenzie tolerating another human for more than a couple of hours, let alone what Zara wanted from her. And that was fine, Zara didn't really want to- "I'll call you. However, I need to shut myself away and write this week so I can't commit to when I'll resurface. Enjoy what's left of your weekend."

In hindsight, Zara gawped at her, properly gawped at her and, as was becoming usual when the equilibrium shifted in Joanna's favour, her green eyes glinted in amusement and a smirk tugged at her lips.

"Eh, OK." The young woman stammered as she fumbled with the car door. Joanna pressed a button and the catch released. Smooth.

"Zara?" Joanna beckoned, a finger moving in that come-hither motion having watched her make her way to the flat's entrance. Of course, Zara did. Striding back to the driver's side door before bending to meet Joanna's gaze.

"I was serious about what I said in the hall." Joanna reminded her, slender fingers toying with the cashmere lapel of Zara's jacket before using it as leverage to pull the girl close. "I want to know what you like." And with that she kissed her hard once more before slipping the vehicle smoothly into gear and pulling away.

So, Zara hadn't called. Snapping her mind back to the present, her was now sitting cross-legged on her bed, making sure she had covered everything that was brought up in today's meeting. It had gone well and although there was no concrete approval in place, Edinburgh City Council were keen to progress any work that would continue to gentrify Leith, an area of the city close to the harbour. Much to the young architect's delight, this meant she had a major new project to start from scratch. However, it also meant she was playing catch up and really had to pull her unruly mind into check.

Her eyes were getting heavy and the raucous from the pub across the road informed her it was late, kicking-out time. However, her mind sparked once more as Zara remembered the genuine need to contact the Professor. As per her wishes, she didn't call, instead Zara typed out a one sentence email which she reread a dozen times before hitting send.

She didn't receive a reply, but awoke to a preferable alternative:

Joanna McKenzie (Albert Street), 06:13: Tigerlily. Tonight, 9pm.

***********************************

Zara felt her presence a split second before fingertips trailed across her shoulder as a tall, slender figure entered her peripheral vision. Looking up, she took in the monochrome apparition; an elegant grey coat concealing an androgynous outfit.

"Evening." She greeted, a smooth smile touching her eyes as they bored into the young woman.

Zara's skin electrified as the pair embraced briefly; a hand on the young woman's forearm, lips brushing her high cheekbone. She'd been smoking; Zara could smell the faint pang of nicotine, almost, but not quite, masked by spearmint and subtle perfume.

"I hope you've not been waiting long? I got held up." Joanna did not elaborate, shrugging off the coat as she blatantly assessed the brunette, whose body was encased in a figure hugging dress.

"Just a couple of minutes." She lied. Zara made a move to return to her seat, but thought better of it given Joanna's warnings about interrupting her visual appreciation. Instead, she hovered awkwardly whilst the blonde took in her body, only sliding back into the booth when the woman's gaze dropped.

As Joanna joined her, their legs brushed together causing Zara a slight startle. Her companion feigned ignorance, whilst positioning herself so the architect had little choice but to succumb to their tangled limbs.

This constant contact did little for Zara's resolve and when combined with the excruciating silence, which Joanna clearly enjoyed, her anxiety rose. The young woman's mind whirred with possible topics of conversation, her palms went clammy, and the more she worried about losing her cool the more she did so.

"So, how are you?" She said eventually, kicking herself at the stupid simplicity.

"I'm fine Zara, thank you." Joanna replied, not hiding her amusement as she sat back and regarded the girl. "And you?"

"Yep. Good. Thanks." Attempted nonchalantness.

"You sure?" Joanna's eyebrow twitched. "You seem a bit, on edge?"

Fortunately the waiter saved Zara, coming over to take their drinks order, leaving a bottle of water and glasses on the table as he did so.

Zara had had time to look at the menu and ordered instantly; Whiskey Sour.

"I'll have an Ice Breaker." Joanna decided. The irony.

"So." Her deep green eyes flashing back to Zara's. "Why are you so het up?"