Breakfast at Sweetheart's

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hello, Mark," she said softly.

"Morning, Dani. Fancy meeting you here!"

"Not working this morning and needed to get out of the house for an hour or two so thought I'd come browse."

Holding up the bag, I replied, "Well, I just needed a couple of things myself. Are you well?"

"Plodding on as always."

There was a moment of silence. She was almost looking at me expecting something. "You want to grab a coffee?" I finally asked, "Considering you serve me every morning, maybe we can get one together for once?"

"I'd like that, Mark."

We agreed not to stay in the mall, instead heading outside and walking down towards the river, where we knew there were plenty of restaurants and coffee shops in the area. Eventually finding one on a side street away from the main road, we found a table before I made the order at the counter. I took a moment to glance back at her, smiling when she immediately grinned at me in return.

While waiting for our drinks to arrive, we made small talk, that usual conversation people make when getting to know each other for the first time. Most of our conversations at the diner were superficial at best, the sort that take place between a waitress and customer. I'm not going to sit there and chew her ear off about all my problems, and she wouldn't do the same with me.

I learned a few things about her rather quickly. She was twenty-five to my thirty-one. She'd left school at eighteen to start working. She'd worked in the restaurant business since then, her first couple of jobs in the back, but her previous job before starting at the diner had also been as a waitress. She loved working at the diner already. The pay was good, she liked the hours, and she had most of her weekends free, her previous job requiring her to work at least every Saturday or Sunday.

"You always lived in Sydney?"

"Sure. But I used to live in the south-west. Around Liverpool way."

"Poor you."

The giggle was very sweet. "It wasn't that bad. I could have remained living there but staying with my folks was getting a bit much. I would have liked to move out years ago, but with house prices at what they are, and rent prices just getting ever more ridiculous, I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thankfully I managed to snag a decent one room apartment not too far from here. Can't afford a car but I can take the bus or walk."

Our coffees arrived, letting them cool off. When at the diner, she wore a lot of make-up. Taking a moment to look at her then, while she still wore make-up, it was faint and simply accentuated certain features of her face, notably her cheekbones, her eyes and her lips. She caught me looking and returned a shy smile. "I guess you're used to seeing me caked in make-up," she said softly, "It did take a little getting used to, though I understand the style and I really don't mind. The girls were really helpful for the first couple of weeks."

"Hopefully we regulars have also made your life easier too."

Her face lit up in one of those smiles again. You know those infectious smiles, which immediately makes you smile in return. Then the person who was smiling blushes, as they knew they've caused you to smile at them. "Everyone has been really friendly," she said softly, "Mario and Gloria are wonderful people. Make me feel like I'm part of a family. The sort of people who care for my welfare. If I show up without a smile, they're immediately worried, asking if I'm okay."

"Any reason not to be smiling?"

Shrugging, she took a sip of her coffee. "Life isn't easy all the time."

"I know that feeling."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, I've got no reason to complain but I've taken my share of hits in the recent past."

"Such as? I don't mean to pry but we're getting to know each other. I have my own issues but sometimes it's good not to hold everything in."

Sipping at my coffee, I finally nodded in agreement. "Well, I'm single, have been for a year now. I was in a long-term relationship with an ex-girlfriend for at least five years. We'd spent time discussing all the big things. You know, marriage, kids, careers, the future. Anyway, I was actually getting ready to propose. Found a ring I knew she would have loved. Started discussing it with friends. Then she comes home one night... It's not what you think, the whole 'We need to talk' and it's that she's seeing someone else. No, she got offered a great move regarding her career, but it would mean leaving the country. I realised as soon as she'd told me that she'd taken the offer."

"And had she?"

"Yeah. She'd been given time to think about it, but I realised in that moment, in her mind, her career was more important than anything else. I was heartbroken, but she did the right thing and moved out of my house. It ended amicably enough, but to be second best to a job doesn't leave you feeling all that great. There was never even a suggestion that I was being invited along to join her either."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Mark. I think she chose poorly."

Meeting her eyes, I think she realised what she said as she glanced away, her pale cheeks blushing again. "Well, thanks for saying that. But it was a difficult period, particularly after losing my parents. So that's just left my sister and myself battling against the world. We both live alone, and I was considering suggesting we move in together, simply so we weren't feeling as lonely. She's had a rough time of it too."

"When it rains, it pours..."

"Anyway, I've kind of just thrown myself into work for the past year or so."

She drained her coffee, offering to buy her another one, earning another sweet smile. Sitting back down again, she took a deep breath. "My life wasn't easy growing up. Western suburbs of Sydney, working class suburbs, lots of different cultures and what not. Adding to that my own issues..."

"Such as?"

Meeting my eyes, I could see she was judging me. "Um... I just felt different growing up. It's a long story, Mark. Maybe another time... But I know what it's like to feel lonely, at least. I had my parents for support, but school wasn't easy. I could have gone onto university, my marks were good enough, but my thoughts were to start working, save money, and then I could move and escape."

"Escape?"

Taking a deep breath, I was worried our conversation was upsetting her. Taking her hand in mine, I was surprised at how soft and delicate it was. Squeezing gently earned another shy smile. "Maybe escape is the wrong word, but so many people don't understand my issues and make snap judgements. The only people who have given me their unequivocal support are my parents. If it wasn't for them, I don't know where I'd be now."

"Are you... um... gay?"

Thankfully, she laughed out loud. "No, I'm not a lesbian, Mark. I like men."

"Oh, well, that's good." Glancing down, I was still holding her hand. When I made to withdraw, she held onto it tightly, both of us exchanging a small grin. "Can I ask a blunt question?"

"Sure."

"You get hit on much at the diner?"

"By the regulars? No. They're polite and friendly but know the rules. They don't take my friendliness as flirting." She paused before adding, "Well, there is one man I do subtly flirt with, and I'm sure he noticed, but he's also far too polite to go about asking for my phone number or anything while I'm at work."

I wasn't stupid or oblivious. "What if this man was to run into you outside of work and asked you to join him for a coffee?"

"I would immediately say yes and hope he asked for my phone number so we can organise a time that he takes me out on a date."

The look she gave me suggested I not flinch my lines. "Are you working next weekend?"

"I'm not."

"Want to go out with me?"

"I'd love to, Mark. I haven't been out on a date in quite a while."

"Me too."

"Well, then we can adorably awkward together, like a pair of teenagers on their first date together. Give me your phone and I'll put my number in."

She did that, sent a text to herself so she had my number. Finishing our drinks, I asked what she was doing the rest of the day. When she said nothing, I didn't even think before asking if she'd like to do something like catch a movie. She smiled and said that would be great, though she wanted to get home with plenty of time for our date that night.

"Oh..."

"Unless you meant next Saturday, and you had plans for tonight?"

"No, I don't. Well, movie then I'll drop you off at home, if you'd like, then I can pick you up later tonight?"

"Good idea, Mark. Thank you."

"What do you like to eat?"

"I like an Asian influence. Thai. Vietnamese. Japanese. Even Chinese if there's nothing about."

"Indian?"

"Love a good curry too."

There wasn't much choice, or at least anything I'd go and see by myself, so I let her pick some romantic comedy I usually wouldn't give the time of day. Neither of us was hungry nor thirsty so we just headed straight for the cinema, heading up towards the back where our reserved seats were. With ten minutes of the movie starting, Danielle was leaning towards me, so without hesitating, I wrapped an arm around her. Her hand immediately moved to my chest, feeling her snuggle into me even more.

"This is nice," she whispered.

I barely paid attention to the movie as I didn't really care. I spent most of my time focusing on the warm body resting against me, just gazing at her from time to time. She knew it as she'd occasionally turned to meet my eyes and smile shyly. Around an hour into the movie, I finally just bit the bullet and kissed her. She wasn't surprised, kissing me back immediately. It wasn't a full-on swapping of tongues, but it was not chaste kiss either.

Breaking apart, she smiled and rested her head against me again. "Focus on the film," she stated, "You'll have my undivided attention during dinner later."

The movie had the usually romantic and tear-jerking ending, Danielle holding my hand as we walked out of the cinema. Escorting her to the car park, she happily slid onto the passenger seat, chatting away happily as I drove her to her apartment complex. It was one of those new builds that I knew was popping up everywhere.

"Pick you up at 7pm?"

"Perfect, Mark. I'll see you then. I'm apartment 6B. I'll buzz you up when you get here, if you'd like."

"Sure."

She leaned over to give me a soft kiss. "I'll see you later."

Messaging my sister that I had a date for that night, she called me back almost instantly, asking a million and one questions at such a rate, I could barely understand half of them. Once she'd calmed down from the excitement, I managed to finally reply, telling her that I was taking Danielle out for dinner, though we'd already been to see a movie at the cinema.

"When the hell did that happen? I thought the golden rule was to never ask out a waitress."

"I ran into her in Westfields. I asked her out for a coffee, we eventually had two, then it was still early afternoon, so asked her if she wanted to go see a movie and then head out for dinner tonight."

"She must like you then?"

"Well, I'm guessing so as... um... Well, we've kinda already kissed a little bit."

"Kissed a little bit? How do you kiss just a little bit?"

"Stop teasing. You know what I mean."

"About time you got back on the bike. Or the horse. Or the woman."

"Behave, Sarah. It's just dinner for the moment."

Chilling out for a couple of hours, I was surprised when Danielle sent me a message about an hour before I was due to pick her up. It was a simple selfie of her in the bathroom, towel wrapped around her body, another around her head, blowing me a little kiss. It was very cute.

Pulling up outside her apartment building a couple of minutes before 7pm, she buzzed me up once I'd announced myself, her front door partially opened, knocking and letting her know it was me. A hallway led past what I assumed was her bedroom and bathroom, continuing to walk on until arriving in the living room. There was no-one about, hearing her in the bathroom, I think. Looking around, my decorating eye approved of what I saw. There were plenty of loving little touches that made it feel like home.

Hearing a clear throat behind me, I turned around slowly to see Danielle standing only a couple of paces behind me, looking rather shy but incredibly sexy. She'd styled her hair differently, used to seeing it in a ponytail, her raven-black hair now flowing down over her shoulders. She still wore her glasses, and I'll admit, they are a weakness. Her make-up was tasteful, taking note of the rather deep red of her lipstick. It wasn't quite a little black dress, as there were spaghetti straps over her shoulders, and invisible bra straps, while the hem was almost to her knees. It wasn't incredibly tight, but still showed off her curves. Stockings or thigh-highs with heels completed the ensemble.

"Wow," I whispered.

"You look rather handsome yourself."

I'd gone with the standard button-down shirt, trousers and leather shoes. Stepping towards her, our eyes never moved away from each other's as I leaned down and left a soft kiss on her lips. "You look stunning, Dani," I whispered.

"Thank you," she whispered back. Raising my hand, she let my fingers caress the soft skin of her cheek. My heart was beating like mad already. Hadn't even gone on a date, only shared a short afternoon together and a couple of kisses... But I was always feeling something. It felt nice to just feel anything after everything that's happened before.

"Ready to go?" I finally asked.

"Part of me thinks I just cook you a meal here and we spend all night on the couch snuggling."

"Can always do that next time."

The giggle nearly had me on my knees. "You think there'll be a next time?"

"Well, fingers crossed!"

Escorting her down to my ute, I opened the door and made sure she was sitting comfortably before closing it. Getting behind the wheel, I already knew where I was taking her, remembering the list of what she liked. I'd been online and checked out reviews, there were two of her suggestions that were within walking distance of where I'd park the ute. I'd leave the choice for her.

"Mark," she said softly. Glancing her way, she smiled and reached over to take my hand, "Thank you for asking me out."

"Soon as I bumped into you, Dani, I wanted to ask for more than just a coffee."

"If you hadn't, I may have just had to have bitten the bullet and asked you. I don't do that often, but I knew that, because we know each other from where I work..."

Parking up the ute a few minutes later, I opened her door, offering my hand and helping her out. Walking to the exit of the car park and pointed left and right. "That way is Thai, and that way is Vietnamese. Which would you prefer?"

"The latter."

Turning to our right, the restaurant was only a couple of minutes away. Though a popular joint, they had a couple of free tables for walk ins, ensuring Danielle was sat first before I sat down, the waitress arriving within a couple of minutes, asking if we'd like a drink. As I would be driving, I stuck to something non-alcoholic, smiling when Danielle did the same thing.

Given a few minutes to look over the menu, we also made the usual small talk as we were still getting to know each other. After making our orders, I took her hand in mine again, that same smile starting to form though there was also a slightly blush. "You know, I was attracted immediately," I admitted.

"But you realised I was just doing my job by being my usual friendly self."

"Even if you were giving me 'the signal', I still wouldn't feel comfortable asking you out at your place of work. And I'm figuring most waitresses wouldn't want to date their customers anyway."

"You're going to be the exception to the rule, Mark. The only thing I'll ask is that, when I'm at work, we keep things how they've been so far."

"Of course, Dani. I won't do anything to embarrass you. Though Gloria is going to notice any change in our relationship. I think we'll both find it a little difficult if we're dating."

"Would you like to come to mine for dinner this week? Say Wednesday?"

"I'd love to."

Our food arrived but I didn't miss Danielle smiling constantly as we resumed making small talk. She knew what I did for a living, so I told her about some of the projects I was currently involved in, while mentioning that my company had helped out on other buildings around the city. She talked about her previous jobs and some interesting characters she'd gotten to know, admitting she never really liked being in the kitchen, much preferring to work out the front.

Agreeing to go for a drink after we'd finished our meals, there were a couple of pubs and a few smaller bars in the area. She loved the idea of a quieter bar, taking her hand again as we strolled down back to the main street. The bar had no music playing, only the din of conversation in the air, finding a table we could sit at. No table service so had to purchase our drinks from the bar, immediately taking her hand again as we sat leaning forward, a small candle on the table between us.

Our conversation flowed easily until we did fall into comfortable silence, enjoying the feeling of her soft hand in mine. I knew my hands would have felt rather rough and tough compared to her delicate touch. She met my eyes and her smile look a little nervous as she drained her glass of wine.

"Mark, I have to tell you something. I have to tell you here because... What I'm going to tell you, I won't be comfortable doing it at home, in case you react badly."

"Dani, I'd never..."

She squeezed my hand. "I do trust you already, Mark. But this is a big thing, very personal, and may affect how you look at me."

"Dani..." I whispered. My soft tone made her smile. I was wondering what she had to tell me though.

"How up to date are you with gender and sexuality issues?"

I gave the question a moment of thought. "Well, my company is on social media and my sister mostly handles anything like that. Despite the fact we're all blue-collar, working-class people, I liked to think everyone who works for me is somewhat open-minded. As for myself, one of my good friends is bisexual. The only thing I really know about gender issues is all the news about transgender women and the impact it's having on sports. I know there are a lot of arguments over that."

"How much do you know about gender issues?"

"A little bit. But as I don't really know much about it, my motto about life is live and let live. Some people get far too emotionally invested about issues that don't impact them at all."

"What do you think about people who were born as men who think and feel they are women and want to live as a woman?"

I smiled as I wasn't stupid. I knew exactly what she was asking. When I squeezed her hand again, a faint smile appeared. "Then I can only hope they find happiness in living how they think and feel. I remember seeing on the news all the bollocks about using bathrooms and whatnot. Many of the arguments being used now are the same used against gay men twenty and thirty years ago."

"How would you feel about dating a transwoman? How would you feel sitting across from one now, for example?"

Squeezing her hand again, I took a moment to reply. "It's not something I've ever had to deal with, Dani. But just to clarify, you're telling me you're transgender?" She nodded, and I could feel her hand slightly shaking. I understood the nerves, at least, aware it must have been one hell of a thing to admit each and every time. "You're still a beautiful woman in my eyes, Dani."

She must have choked back a sob before she managed a warm smile. "You really think that?"

"Dani, I didn't have a clue. I'm guessing what you've just told me isn't easy though?"

"The last few times I've told a date, they would pull their hand back as I held it, recoiling in horror. More than one looked at me in disgust and left without another word."