Breakfast at Sweetheart's

Story Info
Romance blossoms at the local diner.
18.6k words
4.77
17.6k
55
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,317 Followers

A/N - Hello! Time for another simple romance story in this category.

As I've explained at the start of other stories, most of my stories are set in my homeland, and many stories are somewhat influenced by the lyrics and titles of songs that I grew up with. The songs I'd hear nearly every day on the radio.

Usual caveats. All editing and reviewing done the author. Spelling is usually spot on. Definitely the occasional typo. Grammar can be ropey at times but it's been a long time since I sat in a classroom. All mistakes owned up to by the author. Please remember I'm an amateur.

Comments and feedback appreciated as always.

*****

Hey, Anne-Maria

It's always good to see her

She don't smile or flirt

She just wears that mini-skirt

Drunks come in

Paper bag, brand of vino

Dreams fly away

As she pulls another cappuccino

At six o'clock I'm goin' down

The coffee's hot and the toast is brown

Hey streetsweeper, clear my way

Sweethearts breakfast is the best in town

- 'Breakfast at Sweethearts', Cold Chisel

*****

I seemed to always be awake before my alarm nowadays, the days of sleeping until my alarm during the weekdays and sleeping in for hours on a weekend behind me. Or so it seemed. The alarm on my phone finally started to blare, linking it up to my Spotify account, so at least I could let the song continue as I got out of bed, heading straight for the shower.

Pee. Shave. Shower. Brush my teeth. Get dressed. Grab my things. Out the door. I didn't have breakfast at home during the week. Couldn't be bothered and I always grabbed something on the way. Being a tradesman, I spent most of my time on-site, whether helping build one of the thousands of apartment blocks that seems to be springing up around Sydney, or I'd do some minor work for the millions of households. Shit like landscaping and water features, and sometimes I'd even do a little decorating inside. Jack of all trades, Master of maybe one or two. My company was successful enough I had a small office as I had a dozen men working for me, and my sister looked after the office for me.

Monday to Friday, I'd drive down the road and grab breakfast at a nearby diner. Compared to many usual establishments, this one had a real American flavour about. Many Australians would joke about the continued Americanisation of our country, but this diner had been an establishment of the city for decades by the time I'd started to stop there for a feed.

It was brightly coloured. The waitresses were all dressed up to be very pretty, faces and hair done up. They were all incredibly friendly. The food was fantastic and filling. Soft 'oldies' music, mostly from the fifties and sixties, played in the background. Most of the customers were working men like myself, at least that early in the morning, families only starting to arrive by the time we departed.

Many of us were regulars. I'd stopped for breakfast at the place for the first time not long after I'd established my own company. I'd been pleasantly surprised by the food and service, promising myself that I'd return there soon. Visiting one or twice a week quickly turned into visiting every weekday, with the occasional visit during the weekend.

I'd probably eaten everything on the menu by now more than once though I usually stuck to certain favourites. Maybe some hotcakes, bacon and maple syrup. Can't beat a bacon and egg muffin with hash browns on the side. Big fry up (English Breakfast) on a Friday morning as a treat. All of this was washed down by more than one cup of coffee and a glass of juice.

Having been a regular for years, I'd grown to know the owners and the waitresses who happily worked there for years. They knew me by name, happily talking to Mario, the head chef and co-owner alongside his wife, Gloria. I'd asked them more than once about the American theme rather than perhaps an Italian theme. They admitted there were far too many Italian restaurants, and an American-style diner would provide something different.

They were right as it proved successful, and if I drove or walked by of an evening, there was almost a line waiting to be seated.

Susie was my usual waitress most days. She usually worked Tuesday to Saturday. I sat in the same place every single morning, a corner booth, facing the door and the rest of the restaurant as I was a people watcher. Always said 'Good morning' to the regulars, smiled at anyone who met my eyes. Nothing wrong with being friendly.

"Morning, Mark," Susie greeted me as normal, always bright and happy, even at 7am in the morning.

"Morning, Susie. How are things?"

"Well, I do have something to tell you later, but what would you like this morning?"

"Wednesday today, right?" The smile told me my answer, but I wasn't one of those people who stuck to a particular meal each morning. "Hotcakes and bacon and my usual coffee, please."

"I'll have the coffee with your shortly. Need anything sweet for after?" I gave her a look as there was always a subtle flirt with me behind anything she said. Considering she'd been my waitress for quite a while, we'd enjoyed some friendly banter most mornings.

"No, I'm watching my figure, Susie."

Shaking her head but chuckling, she returned with my coffee within a couple of minutes, watching as more regulars filed in. Most were working men like myself, the sort who spent time outdoors doing physical work rather than being stuck behind a desk for eight to ten hours a day. As I waited for breakfast, I checked the news on my phone while watching the waitresses working the room. Knew them all by name, working the counter while calling out when meals were ready.

Susie returned to my table with breakfast within a few minutes. To my surprise, she sat down across from me. "Tuck in, Mark. I've just got something to explain."

"Sure."

"Been your waitress for a while now, yeah?" I nodded and smiled before tucking into breakfast. "We've got a new girl starting next week. Name's Danielle, though she prefers Dani. She'll be taking over my section so, if you sit here as normal, she'll be serving you from now on."

"Where are you going?"

"I've found myself a new job. I love doing this but being on my feet for hours a day is starting to cause me problems. Not a young woman anymore."

"Wouldn't have put you a day over f..."

"Don't you say it," she warned me, though the smile was infectious.

Taking her hand, the smile remained as I replied, "Well, not sure about the other regulars, but I'll miss you, Susie."

"Thank you, Mark. My last shift is Saturday. I'm here from open to mid-afternoon."

"I'll make sure I come in for lunch, one last time."

Paying up the bill once I was finished, I drove to the office first, my sister already behind her desk, hard at work. Lifting her eyes towards me, she smiled, standing up to give me a hug as always. We'd always been close, but after losing both our parents within three years of each other, we'd come to rely on each other even more. Guess it didn't help that we were both single at the moment. She'd gone through a bitter divorce barely after losing our mother, while I had been a long-term relationship up until a year ago. We had discussed things like marriage and children until she received a job opportunity overseas hat was simply too good to turn down.

"Any news?"

"Mike's already on site in Parramatta with his team. Graham is out at Homebush by himself. Chris is on his way to Windsor to help out with that house renovation."

"Good."

"Got anything lined up for the weekend?" I snorted, which made her giggle. "Still not willing go out and try again? It's been a year, Mark."

I gave her a look and nearly asked her just as bluntly why she was single. But her divorce had left her shattered. I'd spent more than one evening on a couch with her sobbing into my shoulder. She could read my face and hugged me again, caressing the back of her head. "I'm not ready," she whispered, "Bad enough that we'd just lost Mum, then he goes and does that to me."

"Guess doing it with your best friend..."

"At least everyone else cut her off, but she just didn't seem to care that it was my bloody husband!"

"Well, you've still got me..."

"Pretty sad that I'm stuck relying on my brother."

"Thanks, Sarah. Love you too."

She gave me a squeeze before letting me go. "Shouldn't you be on your way to the city now?"

"Okay, okay. Jesus, I'm beginning to wonder who the boss of this company actually is."

"You're the boss but you need me to organise you." I gave her a look, earning a sweet smile before she kissed my cheek. "Now go!"

It was a long day on site as I was working at another one of those apartment blocks that seemed to be springing up everywhere around Sydney nowadays. Houses were being built at a rate on the outer edges of the metropolitan area, but closer to the city, no houses were being built, it was all apartment blocks nowadays. And being honest, most of them were nothing but eyesores.

The next couple of days proved busy as always. Susie was in fine form each morning, and I noticed that she spent a little more time talking to her regulars every day. On Friday morning, after ordering my usual full English, she sat across from me for a few minutes as we discussed our lives. I admitted I was sad to see her go. She smiled, admitting Gloria had offered her a little more money to stay, but she was looking forward to doing something new for the next couple of decades before retirement.

"What time do you finish tomorrow?" I asked when settling the bill.

"2pm."

"I'll make sure I'm here to say goodbye."

Resting her hand on my forearm, she leaned in to kiss my cheek. "Thank you, Mark. Going to miss my regulars. Always made the start to my day better."

Returning to the office last on Friday afternoon, Sarah was still in the office. Glancing up from her laptop, she smiled at me before asking about my plans for the evening. Admitting it would consist of me going home, probably ordering in food and enjoying a drink or two, she told me that wouldn't do.

"Want to have dinner with your sister?"

"Sarah, we have dinner nearly every Friday night because you don't want to be alone, and neither do I."

"You'll be at mine at 7pm?"

"Like I am nearly every Friday night, Sarah. I'll see you later." Before leaving, I stopped at the front door and glanced back. "Lunchtime tomorrow, we'll go the diner. Susie's last day."

"She single?"

"No, Sarah. She's my regular waitress and has been for a few years now. She's also happily married with kids. Won't call her a friend, but she is what I'd call a confidant."

Sarah and I both owned our own houses. Neither of us needed a big place so we'd bought townhouses. Wanting to live close to each other, we barely lived a couple of suburbs apart. Our parents had lived nearby when they'd been alive. When they died, we'd been the main beneficiaries of their will. We chose to sell the old family home, but we did keep certain things from the old house that had sentimental value to either of us.

After showering and changing into some casual clothes, I stopped at a bottle-o on the way to my sister's place to grab a couple of bottles of wine. Arriving at her front door, I let myself in as we both had keys to each other's houses. Calling out as I walked in, her face appeared from the kitchen, walking over to give me a hug before I followed her into the kitchen, placing both bottles of wine into the fridge.

My sister was an excellent cook. Considering we only had each other, as any aunts or uncles lived elsewhere around the country, the fact we worked together and spent much of our free time with each other probably wasn't a real surprise. Friends of ours would joke about how close we were, but as we were the only family we had left, little surprise how close we were.

Sitting back with a glass after dinner, we watched the footy as we discussed our lives. She continued to probe me about my lack of any dates, while I knew two of the guys who worked for us did like my sister, but I knew neither of them would ever ask her out.

Waking up the next morning at home, Sarah had already text me, complaining about having a head full of cotton wool as she had ended up drinking most of the wine. But it was nice to see her relax, cuddling into me as we discussed the usual topics, most of them unfortunately sad. Lost family. Lost relationships. Lost hope, I guess.

Pottering around the house until after midday, the usual dull chores that needed to be done, I showered and changed before driving over to pick up my sister. The diner had a small carpark that was thankfully not full, so after parking up, we walked inside. It wasn't too busy as the lunch rush had already peaked by the time we walked in, so was able to get a booth in Susie's section.

"Hello, Mark," Susie stated cheerfully, leaning over to give me a quick hug, "Thanks for coming."

"Your last day, Susie. End of an era."

"It is, but you'll be in good hands with Dani. She'd got plenty of experience. As soon as she sat down with Gloria, there was immediate chemistry, and she was offered a job that day. She just needed to finish up her last few ships at her current place of employment." She looked across from me towards my sister. "Lovely to see you again, Sarah. Thanks for coming."

"If I didn't know you were married, Susie, I'd have thought he was in here every day to see you."

"Oh, he is. The food is secondary to chatting up old Susie."

The food arrived and was fantastic as always. Susie was working hard up until the last minute of her shift. As soon as it was over, the background music was muted as Gloria made a small presentation. There were some tears as Susie was hugged by all her fellow waitresses, Mario and Gloria giving her a farewell and good luck gift.

After one last long hug with Susie, wishing her all the best, swapping numbers to keep in contact, I drove my sister home before getting in contact with a couple of mates, as I was gasping for a couple of beers. It was my turn to wake up with a hangover the next morning. As usual, I also woke up alone. That wasn't a bad thing. I wasn't interested in hooking up and one-night stands.

Monday morning found me in my usual booth. I was used to one of the other waitresses covering for Susie on a Monday but, barely resting my arse in the booth, I was approached by a new face. Glancing up from the menu, not that I really needed to look at it, I instantly smiled as I knew I was looking at Danielle.

She had her raven-black hair tied up in a ponytail, assuming it would have been down to her shoulders, if not past to her upper back. A few strands framed her face. Thin black framed glasses covered her gorgeous blue eyes. Nose wasn't too big, perfect for her face again. A pair of full, pink lips. Quickly glancing down, wearing the same uniform as all the other waitresses.

"Good morning, Mark." I blinked in surprise that she knew my name. She giggled and, dear god, I think I fell in love immediately. "Susie told me all about you. Same corner booth every day you visit, Monday to Friday."

"Good morning, Dani. Susie told me you would be taking over her section. Nice to meet you."

"You as well."

"So what shifts are you working?"

"Monday to Friday, with the occasional Saturday. I'm guessing you'll still be a regular?"

"Of course." Leaning back, I patted my stomach. "Good thing I work a physical job, otherwise I'd be a lot larger. Well, that and I do go to the gym regularly too."

Making my order, she returned a sweet smile, walking back towards me within a couple of minutes with my coffee. As she walked away, I did look her up and down. A little slim, but the dresses they wore accentuated any curves a woman did have. Not a large bust but the dresses were slightly on the conservative side anyway.

My meal arrived quickly as always, Danielle throwing me another sweet smile. I didn't think anything of it. She was cheerful, much like Susie had been. I ate slowly as I played with my phone. Eventually settling the bill with Danielle, I stood up and suddenly realised she was quite a bit shorter than my six-one. Glancing up at me at the same time, I'm fairly sure she blushed slightly.

"Didn't expect you to be that tall."

"Didn't think you were that... um..."

"Short? Small?"

"I was going to say tiny," I teased.

"Susie warned me about you."

"Oh, and what did she have to say?"

"Only nice things. See you tomorrow?"

"You'll soon get sick of me, Dani. But yes, see you tomorrow morning."

Susie had been friendly and cheerful, but Danielle was on another level. Her smile lit up her every face, and it didn't seem forced. She was just a naturally cheerful and bubbly person. Watching her from my booth every morning, she made the regulars comfortable, and any visitors were immediately made to feel welcome, as if they'd been visiting for years. It was obvious to see that everyone liked her very quickly, staff and customers alike.

For the next couple of weeks, I visited the diner like usual, Monday to Friday. Danielle was there each morning, smile on her face, and we quickly built up that relationship regular customers have with a waitress or two. I usually arrived when it was still rather quiet, so it gave us time to slowly get to know each other. Mostly on a superficial level, but we did manage to find a few minutes each morning to have a quick chat about things.

It was another Friday night, sharing a couple of pizzas and drinks with my sister while watching the footy, when she turned to me and smiled. "I'm guessing you like your new waitress then?"

"Huh?"

"The new waitress at the diner. You've talked about her a lot. Talked about her more in two weeks than you did in two years about Susie."

"Well, Dani is rather attractive, but she's just doing her job when it comes to serving me. But Gloria doesn't mind her taking a seat with me for a few minutes if it's a quiet morning. Usually is on a Monday or Tuesday."

"You think she's attractive?"

"Definitely. But I'm not going to do anything, Sarah. I'm a customer, she's a waitress. And the last thing she wants while doing her job is some bloke asking her out or for her phone number."

Like most people, life is a routine, particularly during the weekdays. There's usually very little variance in what people do. I rarely missed breakfast at the diner, simply because I was awake, out of bed and ready to go rather quickly each morning, so I didn't have a reason to give it a miss. Danielle got used to seeing me very quickly, going so far as to mention after a month that she missed seeing me on a Saturday. Susie used to say the same thing, Gloria going so far as to take a photo of her looking wistfully at the empty corner booth where I parked myself five days a week.

I never usually ran into anyone from the diner when I was out and about on a weekend. But it was perhaps six weeks after Danielle started that I bumped into her walking around Westfields. It's an enormous shopping centre, five levels, hundreds of shops. I usually avoided the place, but I needed a new bits and bobs, so I braved the Saturday crowds.

It was one of those fateful moments, though you don't recognise it at the time. Walking out of a store with a purchase, we pretty much bumped into each other, both of us ready to apologise until we recognised each other. What I didn't expect was her face to light up in a smile when she saw it was me. I took a moment to take in what she was wearing. Hair was up in a ponytail, which seemed to be her usual style, but the gorgeous dress wasn't what I'd expected. It wasn't styled like her work uniform, but I would have expected something a little more casual. I wasn't complaining though.

UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,317 Followers