Can Married Couples Date?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sonny glared at her. "I'm busy, Marissa. If you'd called, I could have saved you a drive over."

"Sonny, please. Just talk to me, I thought we were friends?"

"So did I, at least up until you organised dates with other men for my wife."

"Sonny, you're being overly dramatic. They aren't dates, as in dates. We are all friends. This is just a chance to spend some one on one time with our friends spouses, get to know them, lavish compliments on them and try and enjoy a little affection from somebody other than their partners."

"You're an idiot, Marissa, a complete fool. I don't want to spend time with you or the other wives. When I want affection, I get that from my wife. This hair-brained scheme is all about sex, okay? It might not happen on the first date, or the second, but that's what it's about. You are just using smoke and mirrors to create a situation where we all become accustomed to being around each other, then whammo. You have us in your trap."

"What the fuck are you talking about? I said from the outset this is not about sex. In fact, it is exactly the opposite. Just friends, being friends."

"No, fuck that, Marissa. I can see what you're up to. The others have been fooled by your carefully chosen words. I haven't. I see right through your paper-thin facade. You might be unhappy in your marriage, but that doesn't give you the right to destroy ours."

"Oh, for the love of god. You're the fool, Sonny. We don't live in the dark ages anymore. Members of the opposite sex are allowed to spend time together. It doesn't have to involve sex. If you can't allow yourself to be alone in the company of a woman without thinking about having sex with her, then I think you're the one with the issues."

She held out the pot. "Do you want the food, I'm leaving."

"I don't know what poison you put in the food, Marissa, but I have eaten already.

She turned and walked away, cursing under her breath. 'The man's a complete idiot. Where the hell did he get the impression this was about sex?' She wondered whether he had some secret desires towards one of the girls.

As Nolan and Helle finished their meal, he said, "We better get a move on, or we're going to be late."

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"That'd be telling. You'll figure it out when we get there.

Mysterious, thought Helle. She knew some of the clubs in the area, and none would require casual dress. When he turned the car into Orangetheory stadium car park, she shrieked, "Oh my god. Are we going to the concert?"

"We are indeed," he said with a smile. The look of sheer surprise on her face made the expense all worth while. "Ha, beat that, losers," he said under his breath. The other guys would never be able to top this.

He flashed the VIP tickets as they walked past all the normal ticket holders. They eased through the gates into the arena. A local band was already warming up the crowd, and they sounded pretty good. Nolan stopped at the bar and they had a couple of quick drinks before wandering down to the VIP area.

The sound hit them in the face, their bodies vibrating with the driving bass-heavy sounds.

When LAB walked out onstage, the light show started for real and they quickly started playing. Helle, who was delirious with excitement, dragged Nolan into the mosh pit where they danced wildly, enjoying the powerful rhythms of one of her favourite bands.

She sang along, lost in the moment, her hands waving wildly over her head as she got down and dirty, bumping and bouncing off of the bodies all around her.

Nolan was into it, as well. They danced together, Nolan careful not to let the stumbling bodies surrounding them spoil her night.

At the end of their set. Helle hugged Nolan tightly. "Wow, thank you for tonight. It's been awesome."

"It's only just getting started. Six Sixty haven't played yet."

"I know, god what a night. Sonny will be so envious; he loves these guys. They are his absolute favourite band." She hoped Marissa had more success at talking sense into Sonny than she did.

Six Sixty were amazing, the volume went up a couple of notches, as did the intensity. By the end of their set, Helle was exhausted.

Nolan led her off to the bar area where they got a couple of drinks. "Let's let the crowd ease. It'll save us battling queues to get to the car."

For the next hour they talked about the show, the highlights and memorable moments.

The drive home was fun, and Nolan again kept Helle entertained, not by talking, but by encouraging her to talk. He prised her stories out one by one.

As they pulled up into the driveway at Sonny and Helle's place, he quickly scooted around to open her door and then escort her to the front door. "Would you like to come in for coffee?" she asked him.

"Yeah, I'd love that. Hopefully, Sonny will be in a better mood than the last time I saw him."

Helle felt the pangs of concern. Not seeing Marissa's car in the driveway meant she had already left. 'God, I hope it went well,' she thought pensively.

She swung open the door to hear the TV roaring loudly and Sonny yelling at one of the fighters. He looked up when he saw Helle and Nolan walk in. He turned away, trying to ignore them.

Helle, however, had other ideas. She was in such a state of euphoria she missed his sullenness. "Hi, babe, I'm just making Nolan and I a cup of coffee. Would you like one?"

Sonny waved his half empty beer at her without saying a single word.

Nolan saw Sonny's dark mood, and thought, 'I have to try.' He walked over, and said, "Hey mate, haven't seen you for a while. Hows things?"

"Piss off, Nolan. I'm trying to watch the fight. That is if you can move your fat arse."

Nolan tried to laugh it off. "Sorry, mate." He moved aside. "Hows work been?"

Sonny glared up at him angrily. "Mate, I'll say this one more time. Piss off, I'm trying to watch the fight."

Nolan sighed sadly. "Yeah, whatever mate." He walked over to where Helle was sadly making coffee. "I'm gonna hit the road, Helle. Good luck."

She hugged him as she had done a hundred times before. "Thanks for a wonderful night, Nolan. It was amazing."

With the door closed behind him, she walked into the lounge where Sonny was doing his best to ignore her.

"Why the hell were you so rude to him? Two months ago, you were as thick as thieves."

"Yeah, that was before he decided it was okay to take my wife on a date. Now I see him for what he really is a slimy dog."

"Good lord, Sonny. We just went to a concert. It was nothing more than a great night with a friend."

"So you say. Excuse me if I don't believe you. You reek of booze. He was just priming you for a sleazy fuck in the back seat."

"Oh, for the love of god. I don't know where your head is at the moment. Did Marissa come over?"

"Yeah, I gave her the same fucking message. Filthy slut."

"Oh my god. To hell with this, I'm going to bed," Helle growled, as she absolutely stormed off. "Sonny, I don't know why you think it's okay to speak like that about Marissa, but she came here tonight with her heart open. All she wanted to do was talk to you. She felt sorry for you. You have no friends, you've insulted everybody. "I hate to say it, but if this is who you really are then I'm sorry I married you."

"Yeah, well ditto that, bitch." Sonny slung back at her.

The slamming of the bedroom door was like a knife slicing through their marriage. Helle felt nothing but confusion. Sonny had changed; in just a short few months he had flipped. Once a warm loving caring man, he had somehow been replaced by this crazy man. He seemed to have lost all ability to think clearly. He openly slandered his friends. She felt sorrow for her once friendly and outgoing husband.

In all the time she had known him, he was surrounded by friends. People loved and respected him. Now he was so bitter and twisted, it was like he was a different man. He was now cast adrift in a friendless ocean. Joe and Phil said their colleagues at work mocked him.

In the lounge, Sonny paced like a caged lion. He snarled and cursed as his temper worsened. He hadn't meant to say those things. He just couldn't stem the anger. It oozed out of every pore of his body.

It started with Marissa and her visit. What a bloody bitch. She hid behind this mask of friendliness, but underneath she smelt of deceit. Why in gods name had she started this stupid game? He couldn't figure out what was in it for her.

Was she just unhappy? If their marriage was in trouble, Joe had never said anything. Did she just have some sick desire to destroy all those around her?

He flopped onto the sofa, the TV buzzing, the pay per view finished. He laid back with his feet up, the tears streaming down his face. What was happening to him?

Sleep, he didn't get much of it. When he awoke, Helle was dressed and getting ready to go out. She gave him a very cold glare. "I'm going to meet the girls for brunch. I'll be back later. I think we need to talk."

"Whatever," he yelled at her back as she slammed the front door.

The girls were already gathered together. They giggled and laughed, welcoming Helle into their fold. "Well, looks like you won, girl. Holy snapping duck shit, girl. Six sixty and LAB. I mean, I got a nice dinner and some dancing, but damn it, girl. Nolan threw everything at you," Renee stated loudly.

"It was wonderful. The night was incredible. You know, that's the first time in my life I have been out with somebody other than my husband. It was remarkable. Nolan was a real gentleman as well. He made it nice. I learned so much about him last night."

"Yeah, it was the same for me," Jade added. "Phil was lovely. The restaurant was fantastic, the music was great, but it was the conversation. In all the time I've known him, I was unaware about who he really was."

"It was nice. Joe took me to that Mexican place, then we went to Blue Smoke. There was this really cool punk band rocking it out. I never even knew, he was into that music. We had a blast. I think the good thing is, we know stuff about each other. He was so expressive," Jade gushed. "He's a really cool guy. I always thought he was a bit stand-offish."

"It was finding out some more about a friend. I loved that part of it. I wasn't really into the old time dancing thing, but I discovered stuff. I think it will deepen our friendship. That's the sweet bit," Leanne whispered.

"Marissa, I'm really sorry about Sonny," Helle sighed apologetically. "Sounds like he was pretty nasty."

"It's okay, Helle. It wasn't your fault. I just feel for the guy. Something has snapped. He was never like this. He was always pleasant, fun loving. I thought we had a real friendship. I think he needs to see a professional. He may have a serious problem."

"I agree, Helle," Jade interjected. "He was never like this. In fact, on what I know of him, I thought he would be the one most into it. He seemed so in touch with people. You know, empathetic and caring."

"It's definitely out of character. That's for sure," Leanne added.

Sonny became the major topic of conversation as they giggled their way through, recounting their dates. Laugh as they did, the conversation kept going back to Sonny.

Driving home, Helle was trying to figure out how she could raise her concerns with him. How did she tell him she wanted him to see a therapist, or even a phycologist?

Sonny was in the workshop when she got home. He had finally finished the turbo rebuild for the TR6. The big Nissan motor was a tight squeeze, but it was going to have some get up and go.

He loved the TR6; it was the compromise he and Helle arrived at when she threw her hissy fit at him buying a motorbike.

Helle stood in the door way watching him. "Sonny, can we talk later, after the kids have gone to bed? I'm really worried about you."

He looked up, the sound of her voice aroused so many emotions at the moment. He still loved her. He always had. Now, though, her voice raised other feelings, anger, distrust, disbelief.

"We can talk, Helle, but don't try to make this about me. You're the one fucking around with other guys."

"Oh my god, will you let that go? We went to dinner. Then went to a concert with twenty thousand other people. We had a couple of drinks after the show. That's all there was to it. Why won't you believe me?"

"Because normal people don't go on dates with other men. You're a clever woman, Helle. You know that."

"Sony, you've got some twisted thing going around inside your head. Why are you so fixated on sex? Is it you just passing your insecurities onto me?"

As she pulled the door closed, she said, "Dinner's going to be in about ten minutes. You might want to wash off some of that grease first."

Dinner was pleasant. Kirk and Sonny talked about the fight. Amy asked how her night out went. When she found out she had been to see the concert, she flipped out. Kirk was pretty impressed and asked about what songs they played, what the light show was like. They were both envious.

Sonny had to listen to Helle recounting the whole show. His anger slowly bubbling away. They all pitched in with the clean up, the kids then scurrying off to bed.

Sitting together in the lounge, Helle asked, "How are things at work? It must be tough not having Phil and Joe to help out?"

"It's okay, I just talk to different people. They were never much help anyway."

"That's bullshit, and we both know it. Be honest with me, Sonny." Little tears streamed down her cheeks as she spoke. "I have asked Phil and Joe. They both told me you're struggling at work, and not just with them."

"That's their bloody fault. They told everybody what was going on. Everybody knows about this stupid dating game. They think I'm some weak dick head for letting you get involved."

"That's bullshit, as well. They told everybody because they thought it was cool. If people thought that way about you, they'd think the same things about Phil and Joe. But they don't, do they?"

"God knows what the bastards have been saying. All I know is they have turned people against me."

"No they haven't, Sonny. You did that all by yourself. Those people were your mates, as well. I've been to your work functions, people there liked you. If they're saying shit now it's because they, like the rest of us, think you've overreacted."

Sonny couldn't answer; deep down he knew what she said was true.

Helle reached for his hand. "Babe, could we go and see a marriage counsellor, a therapist of some kind? We really need to sort this out."

"A counsellor... What would we tell them?"

"The truth, everything. It would be pointless to speak to somebody and not get it all out in the open."

"We tell it exactly as it is?"

"Absolutely."

"What are you going to do if the counsellor says you have to stop going on these fucking dates?"

"If the counsellor thinks what we're doing is wrong, then I'll stop." She stared at him, concern flooding her mind. "Sonny, if I thought your concerns about it were valid, I would stop now. It's just a bit of fun. If you could explain to me why it upsets you, I would stop, I just don't get it. We have all told you there's no sex involved, and yet you keep saying that's what is worrying you."

"Of course there's sex involved. Nolan didn't blow over a thousand dollars on your date last night if there's nothing in it for him. He's just playing a sneaky game. He's grooming you for later. Eventually, you'll have to pay for that date."

"You're a dummy." She sighed. "It's a bet the guys are running. Marissa told me, they're all trying to win the best date award. They have all wagered to see which one of them is chosen as the best date. Read my lips. There is no sex."

"Then why not stop? I've told you I don't want you doing it."

"Because you don't own me Sonny. I'm not a possession, I'm your wife. If you had talked to me sanely and if you could give me a sound logical reason, I would never have gone on the damn date. You telling me you forbid me to do it... Bloody hell, man. That just made me want to do it to piss you off."

"Well, mission accomplished there," he sneered.

"Would you go to a counsellor with me?" she asked.

"Yeah, we're not making any headway here."

She stood up. "Lets go to bed. We need to make love. It's been far too long. Come on."

She led him by the hand, and for the first time in over a month, they made love. It was a bit awkward, but as they eased into it, the passion of times gone by returned.

In the morning, the smiles were back. They talked warmly as they both got ready for work. The kids zoomed off to school, and they were left alone. "Shall I call a counsellor, or do you want to organise it?" Helle asked.

"You do it, but see if you can find a guy. I would prefer that. He might understand my position."

"Yep, okee-dokey. I'll try."

"Helle, will you stop going on these stupid dates until we've seen the counsellor?"

She nodded. "Yeah, if it makes it easier for you."

"It sure as hell wouldn't hurt."

They shared a warm kiss as they parted for work. He took his bicycle. He'd found it helped him get rid of the anguish.

That night after dinner, she told him, "I managed to find a counsellor who can see us on Wednesday afternoon. Could you get off work by three?"

"Yeah, I think I can do that," Sonny replied. "Is it a guy?"

"No, it's a woman. The only male ones I could get couldn't see us for something like two months."

"That's okay. There's no rush is there?"

"Sonny, this isn't just about you and me. We have a group of friends who are invested in this, as well. I rang Marissa today, and she was disappointed. Apparently, Joe has something planned for Saturday night, which was supposed to be the next date night. Now he's trying to reschedule."

"Did the counsellor say how long this would take?"

Helle sipped her glass of wine before replying. "No, she said it would depend on us. She won't know until she's seen us."

"Then it could take months?" His mind felt lighter. At least there would be no more shenanigans until the sessions were finished. It felt like a win for him.

She nodded. "Yes, it could take months, then again, it might be over in one session. Who knows?"

They snuggled together on the sofa, Helle's hands roaming over Sonny's chest and his hands caressed the bare flesh of her shoulders. Intimacy seeped back into their relationship. That night they made love again, and this time it was filled with passion, both letting their worries and concerns ebb away.

Joe and Phil tried to talk to Sonny. Phil rocked up to Sonny's office, popped his head in, and said, "Hey, Sonny, just wondering if you wanted to talk?"

Strangely, Sonny felt the bile in his stomach do a flip. "No thanks. I'm busy."

Phil slammed the door and walked away, frustrated. "How'd it go?" Joe asked.

"Don't waste your time. He more or less told me to fuck off," Phil complained.

"Man, what a fucking arsehole. What is his problem?"

"I dunno, mate. Maybe he was playing a part before. Maybe this is the real him. If it is, I don't like him."

"Roger that, me old mate. He's been a real dick."

Wednesday, Sonny wandered nervously to the address on Blenheim Road. He waited outside for Helle. As usual, she was running late.

"Sorry," she gushed as she tried to run in her heels. "The traffic was shocking."

"Yeah, but I got here on time," he moaned.

"I said I'm sorry. I was with a client, and I couldn't get away."

Ngaire called them both into the office together. She directed them to the sofa, where they sat side by side. "Coffee, tea?" she asked them.

"Yes please, coffee, white with two, please," Helle said.

"Same for me, thanks," Sonny replied.

Ngaire pulled up a chair, armed herself with a notebook and sat directly in front of them. "Right, let's get started. Helle, you said to me that there has been some problems in your marriage. That you were worried about Sonny?"