Can Married Couples Date?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The dinner party was like old times, the guys all standing around talking football. It was Nolan who said, "Guess I won the dating game."

"Like hell." Phil muttered.

"Come on, let's ask the girls who provided the better date. Not you that's for sure," Nolan jeered.

"We didn't know you were going to go all out. You spent more on your night out than the rest of us combined. Bloody hell, Six Sixty. That must have cost a packet," Joe sneered good naturedly.

"Hey, just trying to be the best date," Nolan said proudly. "I showed you lot up, that's for real."

The discussion became boisterous, and the girls came to join in. "What the hell are you boys arguing about now?" Leanne asked.

"We were talking about the dates, and whose was the best."

"Well, mine was lovely," Jade said warmly.

"Yeah, so was mine," Renee added.

Things had been so good between her and Sonny that Helle said nothing. She didn't want to do something to restart the war.

Marissa wasn't taking a backward step. "Well, mine was a disaster. On a scale of one to ten, it was minus one."

Everybody laughed, even Helle.

Sonny shrugged. "I'm surprised I scored that highly."

"I was being kind," Marissa threw back at him.

Nolan interrupted the laughter. "Okay then, what's say the girls all score us one to ten and then we see who the best date was?"

"Nah, that's not fair," Clive argued. "If we knew how far you were prepared to go to win, then on the next dates we would have gone all out. If we're going to be scoring them, we need to finish the game."

"No, lets leave it there," Marissa said. "Sonny's not comfortable with it. We have to respect that."

"Yeah well, he doesn't have to participate. He and Helle can be the judges. We'll invent a scoring card that takes into account, the novelty factor, the enjoyment factor, conversation, food quality."

Sonny felt a flush of guilt wash over him. He had spoiled his friends game through stupidity. When he glanced across at Helle, the disappointment was printed on her face for all to see.

"Yeah, we can be judges." Helle said, the disillusionment clearly obvious. She looked up, and caught Sonny staring at her. She smiled, although she wasn't sure she was able to hide her dissatisfaction.

The mocking laughter swirled around the room as the boys all tried to out do each other. Again, because of what happened, Sonny felt segregated.

On the drive home, he couldn't help but ask. "How was your date with Nolan?" They had both steered well clear of the subject, but now he had reopened the can of worms.

Helle, for her part, tried to play it down. "It was nice, you know. Hard to argue with Six Sixty. They were great."

"Don't do that, Helle. We need to be honest. I'm asking for the truth. How was your date?"

She stared at him as his eyes flicked from the road back to her. "Be honest," he mumbled uncomfortably.

"Okay, you want honesty. Well, here goes. It was wonderful. He was really charming, he took all of the awkwardness out of it. He made me laugh, he listened and made me talk about me. The food was amazing, we went to that fancy Japanese restaurant on Lincoln Road. Then the concert, oh my god. It was amazing. The tickets were VIP ones, but we ended up down in front of the stage dancing, and he never complained once. I'm sorry if that makes you mad, but it was incredible."

"I sort of got that from the guys. He really stepped up."

She giggled warmly. "Yes he did. For a first date, it was amazing."

As they drove, Helle sighed. "I feel sorry for Marissa, though. She floated the idea and she didn't get to experience it."

"I will keep on apologising, but never really make it up to her. She didn't deserve everything I threw at her."

"No she didn't. What you don't know is she was so worried about you. Anybody else would have just wiped you. She was concerned. It was her idea that we, or you, see a specialist. She really likes you. I feel ashamed about the way you treated her."

"Yeah, me too."

As he applied the handbrake and switched off the engine, Sonny said, "You're disappointed that the others will get to go out on the rest of the dates and you will miss out, aren't you?"

She nodded slowly. "Yes... Yes I am, actually. I enjoyed it, I won't lie. The date was wonderful and I was looking forward to seeing how the other guys would do. That sounds silly, but it's true."

"I can try to make it up to you. See if I can do better than Nolan."

She giggled. "Oh, I think we all expect our husbands to go all out. That was a given. Sonny, I can't explain it. If you had gone on the date with Marissa, you would understand. Our little group is split down the middle. Most nights, you boys talk football while us girls do what we do. We don't interact that much."

"That's true, but I think that's natural. Most parties are like that."

"Yes, absolutely. What I was getting at is, during the date, I got to know Nolan, the real Nolan. Now I feel so much closer to him. I know everything about the girls. We don't hold much back. The guys; however, I know very little about. Real friends are like that, they know the real you."

"Yeah, I get it." Sonny sighed before exiting the car. As he opened her car door, Helle said, "You should do it. Take Marissa on her date."

"What? No. I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not, at least then you would understand."

"That would make me a complete hypocrite."

"Who cares? I think you should do it, but you would have to be good. Make it the best date she's ever had."

"How the hell would I do that?"

Helle giggled. "I know something the others don't know. I mean, the girls know, just not the guys. Marissa used to be a ballet dancer."

"What?" Sonny interjected. "I never knew that."

She laughed. "See, that's what I mean. You know nothing about her. Anyway, what I was getting at is, the New Zealand ballet Company are in town next week for two nights. She's been hinting like crazy, but Joe being Joe, has completely missed them."

"Are you suggesting I take her to the ballet?"

"Yes, dinner first, somewhere posh, then off to the ballet, buy flowers, oh, and chocolates. Then after the ballet, go to an intimate bar and get some drinks. Talk to her about the show."

"And you'd be okay with that?" Sonny gasped in shock.

"Yes, of course I'm okay with it, dummy. I said all along that I liked the idea. We are all friends. I trust Marissa with my life. My husband, blah, she will make sure you don't get up to mischief."

"You don't feel any hint of jealousy?"

"Not jealousy. Envy perhaps, but you could fix that by taking me next time."

"But you hate ballet."

"I've never been. I think this is an opportunity to try new things. Sonny, not everybody is like your father. Men and women can be friends without involving sex. On my date with Nolan, I was never sexually attracted to him. I felt no desire, or lust. It was all innocent fun."

"I'll be honest, it still doesn't feel right to me. Taking another man's wife out somewhere. It just seems wrong."

"That's because you're stuck in the dark ages. You need to stop thinking about men, or women. You wouldn't even think twice about going out with one of the guys. Because it's a woman, it's a no, no... Sorry, babe. I think you're wrong. We should be able to go out with a friend, regardless of gender."

"Yep, I'm an old stick in the mud." Sonny sighed defensively.

"At least you're my stick in the mud," Helle said with a giggle and a kiss. They walked inside holding hands.

Sonny was more than hesitant, his sessions with the anger management therapist had really helped, and he felt strong enough to talk and discuss his concerns, but to actually ask his mate's wife on a date... Jesus, that was scary.

Helle, though, kept pestering him. She actually bought the tickets. When she handed them over, Sonny gasped. "Helle... I'm not sure about this. She might say no, I'm still not really back in her good books."

"If she does, we will go together. It would be our first date... I think you're worried about nothing. She is never going to turn down a night at the ballet, especially Swan Lake. It's her favourite.

Sonny knew he first had to talk to Joe.

"Oh really?" Joe sneered mockingly. "You want to take my wife on a date. Shit, mate, talk about an about face."

"Yeah, I know. I'm a bloody hypocrite. It's bloody Helle's idea. She is fixated on the fact that Marissa didn't get her date night. She thinks I owe it to her. I get that you're not keen, mate."

Joe laughed heartily. "Fuck off, dude. Helle's right, you do owe her. She was in tears when I got home that night. If you're taking her out, you better be on your game. KFC won't cut the mustard." He laughed again. "Listen to me giving the bloke wanting to date my wife advice."

"Helle suggested you guys come over for dinner tonight, and I'll ask her."

"We can do that, and you better get a decent bottle of scotch. None of that cheap shit you usually get."

The dinner was nice. Marissa had softened, and she welcomed a chance to talk to Sonny outside while Helle and Joe did the cleaning up.

It took Sonny a great deal of time, they talked work, kids, and general stuff as he tried to build the courage. He had to get a second glass and a refill for Marissa before he just blurted it out. "Marissa, I was wondering whether you might like to go out on Saturday night?"

She just about choked on her wine as she gasped, "I beg your pardon. What did you just say?"

"I asked if you would like to go on a date Saturday night?"

"Holy date night," she spluttered. "You're okay with that?"

"No, not really. I still feel uncomfortable about it. Helle has been on my case about how unfair it was. She told me I owed you some fun after the terrible things I said to you, and I agree."

She smiled warmly, her brow furrowed. "That's not much of an invitation. You are only asking because Helle told you to."

"No, I said I agree with her. I would love a chance to put things right. A chance to get to know each other better."

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"Sorry, it's a surprise."

"What should I wear?" She enquired mischievously.

"Well, there will be dinner, and dancing, so. I think your very best ball gown, and shoes you can dance in."

"Are we talking ballroom, disco, or dance club?"

"Think ballroom."

They walked back inside to find Helle and Joe glued to the window staring at them. "You knew?" Marissa asked.

"Yeah, the bloody idiot asked me at work today. It was like he was asking for your hand in marriage. I told him if he could put up with your incessant talking all night, he could have you."

She slapped him on the shoulder. "Shithouse."

"Yeah, but I love you."

Marissa then dragged Helle away to see if she could pry any information out of her about what to wear. Helle played dumb, but encouraged her to wear the appropriate dress, in fact, she helped her shop for a new one.

As they shopped, Marissa complained, "The only thing that pisses me off is I've been dropping hints to Joe about the ballet. Now I'm going to miss it."

"Oh, sweetie, there will be other times. At least you won't be sitting at home moping."

"Yes, true. I'll make the bastard sorry. When he sees how much this dress cost, he's going to have a flying fit."

Helle laughed with her conspiratorially. "We haven't even got to the shoe shop yet."

"Yes, I'm worried about that. He said we would be dancing. What's he like, I don't think I've ever seen him do anything but wobble around like an epileptic."

Helle laughed again. "Honestly, he's terrible."

"Figures." Marissa sighed. "Maybe I should get some steel toe cap boots?"

"No, he's not that bad."

Helle helped as Sonny got dressed. She picked up the flowers and chocolates on the way home. She stood admiringly as Sonny finished straightening out his suit. "Oh heavens, Sonny. You look devastatingly handsome. Now I am jealous."

"Don't be a smart arse, Helle. Nobody likes it."

"I'm serious, you look very nice."

"Thanks, but I still feel weird."

"Don't, you have to make this a special night for her."

"Why?"

"Call it pride. I want all of the wives to be jealous. I want you to win best date." She helped him adjust his tie. "Remember, let her speak, don't hog the conversation, listen, be empathetic. She will open up to you if you give her a chance."

Sonny laughed. "Me, hog the conversation? Fat chance of that. She will be lucky to get two words out of me."

It felt completely surreal as he knocked on Joe's front door.

Joe opened up and laughed. "Fucking hell, who the hell is this?"

"Arsehole," Sonny muttered.

As he walked inside, Joe saw the flowers. "Oh you fucking crawler. You sneaky bastard."

Marissa walked in, doing her impression of the grand entrance. Sonny choked back his words, which were going to be. "Holy fuck, you look gorgeous." He settled for reaching out with the flowers. "You look very nice, Marissa."

"You polished up pretty well yourself."

In the car, she asked, "Okay, mystery over. Where are we going?"

"Dinner," Sonny said without any flamboyance.

As they pulled up outside Chillingworth Road restaurant, Marissa said a quiet, "Wow, really?"

Sonny chuckled. "Yep, no costs spared tonight."

Inside, they waited at the bar for their table. "What changed your mind, Sonny?"

He winced. "Marissa, I haven't changed my mind. I still feel weird about this. I listened to Helle, she convinced me that I owed you this, and really, I owed it to her. I behaved so despicably, not in saying no, but letting my anger take control. I said some terrible things. This is my way of saying sorry. Hopefully, tonight will convince you I'm not a complete arsehole."

"You've made a great start. This place is really good, and the cosmopolitan is perfect."

"Good, The one aspect of this dating game that intrigued me was getting to know my mate's wife. You and I spend time together with the group, but I don't know you. Tell me all about your life."

Marissa a little taken aback by the charm offensive slowly opened up. By the time the waiter arrived to guide them to their table, the conversation flowed like cascading water. There was laughter, anecdotes, stories from their youth.

Over the sensational meal, Marissa finally got to the period of her life where she danced.

"Really?" Sonny sighed. "I can't picture you as a ballet dancer. What went wrong?"

"I fell, broke my ankle. It had to be pinned in three places. I'm able to walk, but it will never be able to take the stress of dancing. I had to give it up. It broke my heart."

"I can only guess what that must feel like."

"I had to hide it away, pretend it never happened. It's why I never talk about it."

"Joe knows though?"

"Yes, of course."

"You never go to the theatre or anything. If you were that into it surely you would want to be part of it?"

"No." She shook her head slowly. "I asked Joe not to. I wanted to forget. We made up for it in other ways, it's just lately I feel like trying again."

"What, dancing?"

"No, just going to the theatre, ballet, opera. I have been thinking about it. I could do other things. Acting, or perhaps admin. That is my job these days."

They finished their dessert, and Sonny checked the time. "We better hurry. Don't want to be late."

Marissa smiled, managing to scowl playfully. "Are you going to tell me where we're going?"

"Not just yet, lets see if you can guess." He opened the car door for her, holding her arm as he helped her in.

"Ballroom dancing, hhhmm, I can only think of the club, they often hire out pubs or clubs.

Sonny chuckled, "You realise I said dress as if we were, I didn't actually say we were."

"Now I'm confused," she said softly.

Once they pulled up in front of the James Hay theatre, Marissa gasped in astonishment. "How did you know? Oh my god, it was Helle wasn't it?"

"Yeah, she gave me the hint."

Marissa felt the goose bumps. It's what she wanted, but there was still that uncomfortable feeling in her tummy. She had pushed back these emotions. They enjoyed a glass of champagne as Marissa read the program, enjoying the dancer profiles and information.

Inside their booth, high overlooking the stage, Sonny guided Marissa to her seat and they relaxed to enjoy the show. Even Sonny had to admit he was impressed. The sound was incredible, the full orchestra sounded so crisp.

There wasn't much conversation during the performance. Marissa remained spellbound throughout. There were tiny gasps as the dancers flew through the air or swirled majestically. It was a hell of a show.

Afterwards in the bar, they enjoyed a quiet drink as Marissa gushed about the show. Remembering Helle's instructions, Sonny listened. As they talked, little bits of Marissa's story appeared and Sonny absorbed. It was amazing, he learned so much about Marissa that he would never have guessed.

This was what Helle had talked about; it started to sink in. It was fun.

At Joe and Marissa's house, they pulled up in front of the garage. Marissa sighed. "Thank you, Sonny. That was the most incredible evening. I can't express my gratitude."

"It was my pleasure," Sonny replied.

"Are you coming in for coffee?"

Inside, Joe was watching a movie. When he heard the door opening. He jumped up and came out to meet them. "Well, did you enjoy it?" he asked.

Marissa slipped into his arms. "It was amazing. We went to see Swan Lake, it was absolutely stunning."

Joe chuckled. "You sneaky bastard. How did you know?"

"Hey, just because you don't listen, doesn't mean I don't," Sonny said with a taunting chuckle.

Joe scowled, reached into his pocket and pulled out two tickets. "I guess you won't want to go to tomorrow's show then?"

"Joe..." Marissa gasped. "You got tickets?"

"Sure did. You won't want to go twice though, I imagine."

"You don't know me at all, do you?" she gushed with glee. She turned to go into the kitchen to make the coffee. Joe stood with Sonny. "Well, you escaped with your virginity intact then?"

Sonny smiled before answering. "Yeah, it was a nice evening. I really enjoyed it."

Marissa arrived with the coffee and they all sat together while Marissa ranted on and on about the ballet.

At home, Helle waited expectantly, and she rushed into Sonny's arms, the question hot on her lips. "Well?"

"You were right, it was a great night. I enjoyed it immensely."

"I'm so glad," She sighed. I've been so nervous. Did Marissa like it?"

He laughed loudly. "Did she, she's probably still rabbiting on in Joe's ear."

"I'm so happy for her. She has talked about little else lately. Joe completely missed all of her hints."

"No he didn't, he had already brought tickets for tomorrow night's show."

"Oh my god, really?"

"Yep, he's a little brighter than we give him credit for."

"Still waters, huh?" she said thoughtfully. "That's what I mean, we are all friends, but we know so little about each other."

"Helle, we don't have to date them to find that stuff out. We just have to take opportunities to talk to each other. We get together a lot, but you're right. We don't talk. That's what we need to change."

"Yes, you're right, but the date, you did enjoy that?"

"Yes. I still feel weird about it, but I have to say I enjoyed it."

The next dinner party was full of teasing and complimentary moments for Sonny. The girls refused to mark the boys on their dating prowess, although Sonny was right up there. Marissa gushed about how good it was.

The decision was made not to finish the dating game, although with all of the hype, the guys decided they all needed to pick their game up. Date nights, and even group date nights, became regular occurrences.

They were a much closer group of friends than when it started, and in a way, the dates fulfilled expectations. It proved, men and women could be friends without sex getting in the way. True friendship is genderless.