Captain Emrah Jackson Ch. 30

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I have to call Harmon," I said to Carletti.

After a brief call, I had to tell Herrick he was free to go.

As we walked back to the concourse she asked me if we were going to do anything about the salves.

"No," I said, simply. "We are here for pirates, not to free slaves."

I could tell that it had bothered her. Her professionalism had started to slip.

"What will happen to them?"

I wanted to tell her the truth that captured slaves were almost always harshly punished and often given jobs that resulted in a quick death. I didn't want to sow any discord though, and told her that they would just go back to work.

"It isn't right," she muttered.

"No, Cap, it's not, but we have our orders."

Had they been pirates we could have freed them, but they weren't and we had to turn a blind eye.

**************

Back on the concourse we released the crew back to their ship. I spoke the Billan and told him if any more UEN ships came to inspect he should cooperate fully. He wouldn't be harmed if he did what they said.

"No one is going to punish you for selling fuel to pirates," I reminded him.

He nodded and then pulled me to the side.

"In that case," he said. "We did have a pirate ship come through a few days ago."

"Really, what direction did they go in?"

After he told me I asked him if he could tell me anything else about the ship.

"It had an all-female crew."

It was the Siren's Kiss. It had to be and I thanked him for the information.

************

Back on the Trinidad, I was in two minds about telling Harmon, but then I realised that if we weren't the ones to track them down, someone else would. I explained who they were and what they meant to me. He sympathised but told me that the safety of his crew came before my feelings and would destroy the Siren's Kiss if he felt it necessary.

We went in pursuit immediately, and I hoped the station owner had been truthful. I knew the top speed of the Siren's Kiss and knew we were faster.

The next day we caught up to them. I was called to the bridge as we started to close the distance.

"Will she fire on us?" Harmon asked.

"Probably, she is outnumbered though, she will know that."

The Siren's Kiss was armed but we were in a battle cruiser with two frigates in support. It would be a very unfair fight if it came to it.

As the distance closed we took our first hit from Berta's laser cannons. Our armour easily absorbed it, but I could see a frown on Harmon's face.

"Open a hailing channel," I said.

"Open, Ma'am."

"This is the UEN Trinidad. Power down your engines and prepare to be boarded."

"No answer, Ma'am."

"This is Captain Emrah Jackson, calling the Siren's Kiss. Power down your engines, and you will be treated fairly."

For a few moments, I stood holding my breath.

"They are slowing, Ma'am."

I breathed out with a smile.

"Their weapons are still charged."

I shrugged and told them there was nothing to fear.

"Open the channel again," I said and told Berta to assemble her crew in the cargo hold. I would be coming over personally.

Harmon wasn't too thrilled about that, but I explained that it was the best way to make this go smoothly.

*************

It wasn't the same ship that I remembered. There was a lot of damage scaring along the hull. It was in bad shape, and I was surprised it was still functional. There were no doubt casualties from what had happened.

Carletti accompanied me with the Marines. They were armed just the same as before. It was procedure and I wasn't able to talk Harmon out of it.

We docked with the Siren's Kiss, and as the doors opened I knew I was about to find out who was still alive. As I had ordered they had assembled in the cargo bay. There wasn't the full crew, some were missing. Berta was there though, which I was glad about. I halted the Marines and went to speak with her.

"I thought I recognised the voice," she said, coldly.

"It's me," I said, with a smile.

"What happens now?"

I told her the truth, we would be detaining the crew about our ship. Then with a heavy heart, I told her the Siren's Kiss would be destroyed. I could see the pain in her face, but I assured her that it was the only way, and had anyone else encountered her she would be likely dead by now.

"You will all be treated fairly," I said to the rest of the crew.

Then I saw her standing with the others. She smiled as I caught her eye. There was a knot deep in my stomach and my emotions got the better of me.

"Roki," I said and rushed towards her. She moved too and we embraced tightly. I didn't care that the Marines were watching as I squeezed her body close to mine. It had been almost seven months since I had seen her. It was a long time.

"I've missed you," I whispered into her ear.

"I thought you were dead."

"Not yet," I said, with an immense feeling of relief.

We couldn't hug for long, I still had procedures to follow and my job to do.

"I will find you later," I said, softly and let her go back to the group.

This wasn't the reunion I had dreamed of but it was better than nothing

I told Berta that her crew would now be taken aboard the Trinidad. All she could do was nod, but before she left she told me that it was nice to see me again.

************

"This is the ship you were a prisoner on?" Carletti asked.

"Not prisoners," I said, "I was the second in command."

Then I heard her laugh for the first time.

We searched the ship together. I doubted there would be anyone hiding inside, but we had to be sure especially if it was going to be destroyed. It was odd walking the corridors again. When we got to the brig I was surprised to find some of my old things still there. They were dresses and other items I had been gifted by Luna. I wanted to take them, but I left them. That was my old life I had to look to the future now.

Carletti told me that they would plant explosives near the engines. It was easier than firing on it from the battle cruiser.

"It was a good ship," I said, idly.

When we returned to the Trinidad, I found out that Berta and the other officers had been put in the brig while the rest of the girls were secured in the cargo hold. Not in cages like with the hostages, but in pens that were fitted with beds and private toilet areas. I asked Harmon what we were going to do with them.

"I think we might have to take them to Ferrin for the time being, put them in one of the camps."

That didn't sound great, but it was better than bringing them to Earth.

"Do you mind if I speak to Berta before we set off?"

"Of course," he said, "You saved their lives, you've been a great help, Emrah."

**********

With some irony, Berta now occupied the cell I had stayed in when I first got here. I wanted to make a joke about it but decided not to.

"I'm very sorry about this Berta," I said.

She was more relaxed now.

"We thought you were dead, or sold to bounty hunters."

I told her what had happened with Sakura, I even told her about my baby.

She sympathised and told me she had no clue about Sakura's true intentions.

"I didn't either." Then I admitted I should have spoken to her earlier about my fears.

"So you are back with the UEN."

I nodded, "It wasn't a warm welcome, they tried to court martial me, I got off though."

"You have some luck, Emrah."

I smiled and told her I didn't think so.

She told me about the ships that Sakura had sent to attack them. They had nearly destroyed the ship, and they had to hide out while months of repairs were done.

"How has Roki been?"

"She missed you Emrah, missed you a lot."

There wasn't much else to say, and I told her to ask me if she needed anything.

As I was leaving she said there was one thing I could do before the Siren's Kiss was destroyed. I expected it to be something sentimental, but she told me there was a pile of credit passes in her quarters. It was my payment from the hostages we had captured on the Eden. They were mine if I wanted them.

I shrugged and told her that it seemed fitting if they were destroyed along with the ship.

*************

I found Roki in the cargo hold. She didn't get her own cell and was stuck with five of the other girls. We could speak quietly though. I wanted to touch her, but the electrified fence prevented that.

The first thing she wanted to know was what happened to Sakura.

"She's dead," I said.

"Did you kill her?"

"No," I said and told her she had been eaten by cannibals.

"Emrah," she said with a giggle, "that's not funny."

"I am being serious."

I told her the rest, the baby, living on Ferrin. She nodded and sympathised. It was hard, especially the details about the pregnancy, but it was good, to be honest, and I think she appreciated that.

"I like your uniform," she said, changing the subject.

I ran my hands down the blue fabric. "Not as comfortable as a good pair of coveralls."

"So you are the Captain of this ship now?"

"No, I'm just advising them."

"Then what? Are you coming with us?"

"I don't know," I said, "I can't just leave."

She nodded solemnly.

It was hard to be positive in this situation She was a pirate and I was an officer in the UEN. Our worlds were now farther apart than ever.

"We'll talk again tomorrow," I said with some positivity.

"I ain't going anywhere, Captain," she said with a grin.

*********

Harmon and I stood on the bridge of the Trinidad. On the view screen was the Siren's Kiss. I could see the transport bringing the engineers back now. The explosion they rigged would completely obliterate the ship. Harmon told me that they would be recording the event and it would be sent to the news stations back on Earth.

"It better to show them, something like this, than the bombardment of Ferrin."

I nodded. I was sad to see the ship go out like this. It was a good vessel and held a lot of memories for me.

The officer manning the comms station suddenly spoke.

"Sir, a flash transmission had just come through from the admiral. Encrypted."

"I'll take it in my quarters," he said and told me I had the bridge.

While he was gone I made sure the Trinidad was far enough away from the coming explosion. I was going to wait for Harmon to return to give the order.

Lieutenant Bonnet was on the weapon console, and she asked me if she could speak freely.

"Go ahead."

"Why is it called the Siren's Kiss, Ma'am."

"It's from history. There was a myth, a story of women that would lure sailors to their death by singing. The Siren's Kiss was an all-female crew, I guess that was why."

She said she liked the idea of an all-women crew, which made some of the male officers chuckle.

Finally, Harmon came back.

"Emrah, you better come with me."

I followed him to his quarters. He looked disturbed.

"Just got a message from the Admiral, we are to hold position, they are coming here."

"Is everything okay?"

He shook his head. "We are at war, Emrah. Some people calling themselves the Free Systems Alliance have declared war on the UEN and Earth."

I laughed, he couldn't be serious.

"They are massing ships in the Biorian system, it's supposedly a big fleet too. That's not the worst of it, the fleet is being headed by someone you know."

"Who?" I asked, feeling ice run through my veins.

"Talia Keynes."