Cast a Long Shadow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It was definitely heated, that's for sure," I agreed as I kissed him once more and then scampered to the little bathroom. "We should be okay this time since my period just ended, but we'll need to be a lot more careful in the future."

Stu gave me a few moments, but when I stood up, he entered the doorway and leaned against the door frame like a smiling Adonis. "Say, do you think we could both fit in that tub? You know, clean up and cool off so we can go again in a little while."

I leaned over, pointing my rear end right at him where he could see anything he wished, and inserted the plug in the drain. Still bent over, I wiggled my ass at him, swaying from side to side, before turning on the water. Looking back over my shoulder at him as he grinned and stared, I asked, "You really think you might want to go again in a little while, Mr. Evers?"

"Yes, Mrs. Evers. Most definitely!"

***

And we did.

In fact, we made love at least twice more that evening and many more times over the next few days, but we were much more careful, always using a condom.

We frequently did it in the cottage, sometimes in bed, sometimes overlooking the ocean, and at least once with me holding on to the side of that iron bathtub for dear life. We also made love a number of other times when and where the mood struck us when we were appropriately alone.

We did it in a tropical rainforest, beside a pretty waterfall, in the dunes on the beach, and, more than once, with me hanging off the tailgate of the jeep with my knees pulled high and wide and Stu standing between them slamming into me over and over.

***

About three weeks after we returned from our honeymoon, my enlistment ended. Those weeks crawled by because Stu and I couldn't be together at night, so we spent as much time together as we could and made love on the all-too-rare occasion when we found ourselves some much needed privacy.

We'd booked passage for San Francisco on a Pacific steamer that offered "staterooms" on the upper deck. With my late mother's old trunk loaded with my nursing uniforms, presents for our families, some reminders of my time in the islands, and a few other things I wouldn't need on the trip, it went in the hold while Stu and I each carried a suitcase in hand with our spare clothes and necessities for the trip. Mine also held some special things that I'd purchased at a ladies' boutique in Honolulu as a surprise for Stu on the trip. That was fortunate since our cabin (the more appropriate term for our quarters) was much smaller than we expected, but the bed was great and we made much use of it—and my special purchases—by night and by day.

The train ride across the country was similar, with us spending most of our time in our private roomette in the Pullman car and only occasionally visiting the dining or observation cars. We were disappointed the berths were so small but we shared one when we wished to sleep together and generally slept in separate bunks when we were interested in actual sleep.

Toward the end of our trip, I found that our travels were getting the best of me. To my surprise, I found myself queasy and looking forward to the time at our destination when we weren't moving. It was only when we arrived at Columbus' Union Station that I began to question whether it really was our travels making me ill or if it might be something else. Even without being a nurse, I was able to do a quick calculation in my head and nod at my suspicion. I quickly decided to get it confirmed before I told Stu.

Mom and Dad, Christopher and Nancy, his new girlfriend, and Matt, Luke, and Theresa all met us on the platform just moments later. Introductions were made but Mom clapping her hand over her mouth was the first sign that anyone had noticed. She reached out, took my hand, and then turned to Stu to give him a hug.

"Welcome to our family, Stuart," she said. It only took a moment after that for everyone else to spot the rings and realize what she meant and there was a veritable explosion of whoops, hollers, and backslaps along with hugs and kisses for everyone.

They'd made my old apartment over the garage ready for me, so it became Stu's and my home for the next couple of weeks while we visited my parents and family plus a number of friends in the area. We did some shopping and my parents hastily arranged a reception for us scheduled for shortly before we moved to Lundsboro. Stu and I contacted his parents, told them the news of our nuptials, and invited them to the reception, but they declined with thanks due to the short notice and promised they'd host a Texas-style reception for us soon after we arrived. They invited my parents and siblings, too.

Finally, I arranged to see Dr. Addams, our family physician of recent years. Two evenings later after it was confirmed, I gave Stu the news.

"We're...we're having a baby?" he sputtered, leading me to smile and nod.

He took me in his arms and held me close but so lightly I wondered if he thought I, or perhaps our little one inside me, might break.

"Honey, Dr. Addams said that we can keep doing things like normal for a while...everything...as much as we want...and since there's no risk of me getting pregnant again right now..."

He smiled as he got the idea and pulled me even closer, a little tighter. Our lovemaking that followed was soft and slow, gentle and sweet even, as we enjoyed the feeling of skin against skin, him against me and me against him, and then, him inside me, over and over. We switched, allowing me on top of him for a while as he held my breasts and caressed them and thrust up into me. In the end, we switched back as the sensations built for both of us and it wasn't too long before they became too much and soft and slow and gentle and all the rest were soon forgotten as we pounded against each other to the finish line.

After a quick bathroom break, we lay in bed holding each other for a while before our hands started wandering and, with giggles, we started all over again.

As happy as could be, we shared the good news with our families the next day and with the guests at our reception a couple of days before we caught the train for our move to our new life together in Lundsboro.

***

It was almost a month to the day after our son was born that North Korean forces invaded the south to start the Korean War. Holding my little boy in my arms, I recalled the stories of my father's service and that of my mother in the First War. I also remembered how I'd wanted to serve in the Second but instead did what was needed at home to help those who were.

Now, I knew, my place wasn't overseas or even somewhere else in the U.S. No, my place was being at home with my husband and my baby boy, being the best wife and best mother I could be. I might not be a hero, but I hoped, for them, that it would be enough.

The End

___________________

Endnotes:

Thanks for reading this story and for any favorites, follows, and comments you might offer. They are all greatly appreciated.

This is the sixth tale in my "Old Trunk" series (the fourth chronologically); each story stands alone but is connected to the others through the old trunk and the family. If you're interested in reading any of the other stories in the series, please see the suggested reading order in my profile.

The following notes are just for those who enjoy the historical aspects of the story. Please feel free to skip them if they're not your cup of tea. You've been warned.

Fort Shafter, then located just outside Honolulu, was established in 1907. Now annexed into the city limits, it is now the headquarters of the United States Army Pacific.

An army hospital was established in 1907 in Fort Shafter. In 1920, it was named after American Civil War surgeon, Brevet Brigadier General Charles Stuart Tripler, who helped make major advances in military medicine, and it was renamed Tripler Army Medical Center during World War II. The current facility was completed in 1948 as was noted in the story.

The Hukbalahap Rebellion in the Philippines started in 1942 as against the Japanese invaders but changed to a fight against the Americans when the Japanese were expelled and against the government in 1946 when the island gained its independence. Fearful of the rise of communism in the region, the U.S. gave arms and significant training to the Philippine government and military to prevent the regime from toppling. The rebellion finally ended in 1954 after the government won several military victories and agreed to a series of reforms. In return, the Huk leader, Luis Taruc surrendered and was sent to prison for insurrection and other crimes only to be later pardoned and, once again, be made a government official.

Looney Tunes' Marvin the Martian made his first appearance with Bugs Bunny in Haredevil Hare on July 24, 1948. Marvin wasn't given a name until 1979 in The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie.

Divorce in the United States was known but relatively uncommon until sometime after WWII and there was often a social stigma attached to divorcées. When circumstances allowed, a past marriage and divorce might be hidden to avoid such issues.

Finally, the undersea telegraph cable between Honolulu and San Francisco was completed and activated in early January 1903. It would be 1950 before limited phone service was available between Hawaii and the mainland and 1957 before an undersea telephone cable would be completed to make calling more accessible.