Dan's Story Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He returns to find her just finishing with breakfast. He stops and stares. She has pancakes and sausages, topped with eggs and on her plate she has added whipped cream. He takes his place at the table and she sits down opposite him.

Dan: "You built up quite an appetite this morning, didn't you?" He grins.

Marie: "I'm hungry, that's all."

Dan: (Taking a bite) "Mmmm, very good. But how can you eat it with whipped cream? It looks like it should have a cherry on top."

Marie: "You eat what you like, and so will I!" She proceeds to clean it up. Dan eats in silence, but can't finish it all. She eats up what he doesn't want as well.

Dan: Well, today is Friday. I am going to see if I can't get hold of Clay this morning and see if he is busy all weekend. Its time I took you out to see the countryside. How would you like to go dancing tonight?"

Marie: "Oh Dan, could we? I'd love it, but where?"

Dan: "There's a local club that has dances on Friday nights and I think they have a dance at the men's wet canteen at the base. Your choice?"

Marie: (coyly) "Dan, how do you know where the dances are?"

Dan: "I took a date to the club in town." He ducks just in time. "My date was Sam!" he cries. "That's where we met Theresa. She was with Clay."

Marie: "A likely story! And the one at the base?"

Dan: "Heard the guys talking about it at work."

Marie: "Hmmm. Okay, Lets!"

Dan calls the Radar Workshops at the base and gets Clay on the line "Good morning, It's Dan ...you were going to call me? ...to the club, eh? ...We'd love to join you. What are you doing tomorrow? ...Brown's? ...Mind having some company? ...Just a minute, Clay. Marie is trying to get my attention here. What is it, dear?

Marie: "Can Betty and Gord go with us to the club?"

Dan: (into the phone) "Hey, why don't we meet you at the club tonight? Marie would like to invite Betty and Gord to go with us and we'll walk over... O.K., and we can discuss tomorrow there... See you tonight."

He hangs up, stands up and catches Marie around the waist and swings her. "We're going dancing tonight!" he sings and they end up laughing together.

Marie: "Lets go for a walk!"

Dan: "That would be great." Then snidely, "You have to wear off some of that breakfast anyway."

Marie: "I can think of better ways to wear that off!" She grins at him.

Dan: "Let's go for a walk!" They chuckle together.

This time they turn left in front of the house and go a couple of blocks. They turn right and left again. Soon they are approaching the house with potato fields on both sides. Dan tells her about the little girl with the faded blue eyes. She's horrified, but even though they watch closely, there is no movement around the place.

Marie: "That is so terrible. How could any parent treat their child in such a manner? It isn't just that they are poor, or that they can't afford proper clothes for the child, but they verbally abuse the child by fighting in front of her and, if she was unwashed and unkempt, she is neglected. Also the mother seems to take her anger out on the child. Why did they ever have her? Or why did she not give her up for adoption when she was born? It's tragic!"

Dan: "I didn't break it all down like that, but I know that it made me very sad and it troubled me for quite a while afterwards. Children are people too, and deserve some respect."

Marie: "We've never talked about that before. I'm glad to hear you say what you did. You'll make a good father!"

Dan: (coloring slightly) "Not for a few years, I hope. We need a nest egg and a little time to build on experience, eh?"

Marie: "Hmmm, I think your right."

They continue out of town for a mile or two. Dan is pensive.

Dan: "We haven't talked before about being parents, have we?" She shakes her head in the negative. Dan goes on, "I know the struggle my Dad has in bringing home money for food, let alone all the other things he has to pay. And I'm beginning to see how much it's going to cost us to live outside the base. I know you want to work as soon as we can find something, don't you?" This time she nods yes.

Dan: "I guess we better start making sure you don't get pregnant. Would you like to see about a shield next week?"

Marie: (Looking confused) "How? We don't have a doctor, do we?"

Dan: "Don't you just get one at the drug store? ...like safes?"

Marie: "Oh Dan, you have to be fitted for one of those things. That's what the doctor does."

Dan: (now turning very red) "You mean he has to measure you down there and fiddle around your..."

Marie: "Dan! First it doesn't have to be a 'he', there are female doctors as well, you know! And secondly it's no big deal, they do it every day."

Dan: "My doctor doesn't! He's the military doctor at the base and...just a minute. We do have female airmen, or airwomen, I guess. Maybe he does. He's also the doctor for most of the families in the PMQ's at the base. Would you want to go see him?"

Marie: "I would prefer a female doctor but if there isn't any, I guess he'll do." They wander along heading towards home, hand in hand and both deep in thought. As they pass the dilapidated frame house again Dan notices there is an old car in the drive. On the front step sits the little girl sucking her thumb. She spots him and hesitantly she raises her hand and waves. Dan grins and waves back. A smile crosses her face and she hides her face in her hands, peeking at him through her fingers. As they head on down the street, Dan says: "It almost makes me cry. Such a small thing as a wave of recognition makes her so happy. Why can't they see the treasure that she is and cherish her? She only wants recognition and a little love." He has to stop talking because of a lump in his throat.

Marie studies him as they walk along. "You'll do." she murmurs. He glances at her as they continue their stroll. Long legged and in shorts today, with a tube top and ponytail, she is the very picture of his dream mate. I'm so lucky, he thinks.

As they continue town ward, Dan takes her by the house with the separate apartment at the rear in what has once been a garage. They stop by the fence and he explains about the layout of the place and how expensive it was. Just then a head pokes out of an upstairs window and some one calls down to them. "Hi! I'll be right down."

Marie: "It's Betty! That must be their upstairs apartment! And you were here to look at the one out back! What a coincidence!"

Dan: "Are you sure that was Betty. You're going to look funny standing here waiting to see her if she turns out to be a perfect stranger. I think we should walk slowly on. She sounded like she was expecting some one. If it's Betty, we can walk back." He tugs on her hand but she stands firm.

Marie: "I know its her! Stay here with me. Don't you trust me, chicken?"

By now there was no sense arguing. It was Betty and she was coming down the walk. "How did you ever find our place? Did I give you the address? It's so nice to see you. Come on into the yard under the shade of the trees. I'll get some iced tea. Please, come in." She holds the gate for them. She leads them around into the side yard to some lawn chairs at a light table in the shade. Then she leaves them for the tea. Dan took this opportunity to explain more about the separate apartment that they now are sitting near.

When Betty comes back she says that a couple with a little girl have moved into the apartment just recently. Her and Gord had looked at it and thought of moving, but it was just too expensive. They are paying enough for the one they're in, she says. But it would be nice to have a laundry room, she muses, instead of going to the Laundromat.

Marie: "Maybe someday, Betty. It does sound like a perfect apartment. Privacy, lots of room and on ground level." She sounds wistful.

Dan: "Gord still at work?"

Betty: "Yeah, but he should soon be home. You ready to go dancing?" Marie smiles and nods in the affirmative.

Dan: "Yep, but I don't know about Marie. I've been walking her legs off today." He explained where they had been. Marie explains about the little girl and Betty shakes her head sadly.

Gord arrives at the gate and calls to them: "Hi guys, nice to see ya. So we're going dancing tonight, eh? Betty says its some club in town. Is it the French Social Club?"

Dan: "That's right. Things get hopping there about 2000 or 2030. That eight or eight thirty for you ladies."

Marie: "I know military time as well as you do. We aren't some dummies, you know!" Betty wrinkles her nose and makes a face at him, and they both burst out laughing. Dan just looks at Gord and shrugs his shoulders.

Gord: (grinning) "Don't pay any attention to her. It only makes her worse!" and the guys have a short laugh.

Gord goes on, "Anyway, you have to be a member to get in that place, you know!"

Dan: "Well, you're looking at one."

Gord: "You're not French!"

Dan: "They don't know that. Sam and I joined when some friends of his took us there on our first night here at the base. Besides, Clay's a member and he certainly isn't French. Theresa signed him in and vouched for him the first time. They just gave him a membership card."

Betty "Sit down, Gordie, and I'll get you a glass."

Gord: "No, I want to go and get out of this uniform. I'll be right back, you guys." He goes off around the house towards the front door.

Betty: "I think he hates that uniform, or at least he hates wearing a tie and hat. Those wedgies look funny anyway, don't they?"

Marie: "I don't know. I'm so used to seeing Dan in his and I never heard him complain about it."

Dan: "They are a bit uncomfortable, but they're talking of putting us all in forage caps and that'll be worse. The officers wear them and they're really hot in the summer. There's also talk of us getting Tropical Worsteds (Tdubs). That's light khaki pants and tunics with brown forage caps with black peaks. The uniform should be cooler but it certainly won't be our traditional blue."

Betty: "It won't matter. Some of you will complain about it anyway. I think some airmen just like to complain."

Marie: "We better get going. I have to put supper together yet. We'll be over later."

Betty: "Why don't you stay and have supper with us? You can give me a hand and we'll have it ready in no time. Besides, you haven't seen our apartment yet. Please say you'll stay."

Marie looks at Dan and he nods in assent. She smiles and takes his hand. "We'll stay, but you have to come to our place some evening, too." They follow Betty around the house and upstairs.

Gord is in a housecoat in a large stuffed chair with a hockey game on the TV. "Gordie, I thought you were getting dressed, not watching TV. Come on, we have guests for supper. Give me a hand."

Gord: "Yeah, okay", and he sits there glued to the screen.

Dan: "Who's playing Montreal, is that the Leafs?"

Gord: "Yep! Hey, you want a beer? Wow! Did you see that! Man, that puck must have been going a hundred mph and he trapped it with out a blink. I was sure it was in! Sit down! Sit down! Betty, can you get Dan a beer?" he calls.

Betty is already half way across the room with a cold beer in her hands for Dan. She slips it behind her back and says, "You get up and get it yourself."

Gord mumbles and grumbles and heads for the kitchen. Marie's standing in the door with a grin on her face as Gord passes her. Betty hands Dan the beer and turns to confront her husband. She does that funny little trick of hers of wrinkling her nose and sticks her tongue out at him as he comes through the door. Gord just glares at her as he resumes his seat in front of the TV. "Did anything happen while I was gone?" he asks.

When they're called for supper the second period has just ended so they gather in the dining room, an extension of the kitchen. It's a delightful meal, but as soon as the game starts again, Gord picks up his plate and a fork. He starts for the living room, but Betty steps up in front of him. "Gordon, sit down! Can't you leave the game long enough to eat?"

Gord: "Sure, honey." and he goes around the table and puts his plate back down. He walks back through the door and turns the TV so it's facing the dining room. He comes into the room and sits down. Now he eats and watches the game. Betty just shakes her head. Everyone talks around him and once in a while he puts in a word or two.

After supper Dan and Marie walk home. It's only about three blocks and they enjoy the stroll in the coolness of the evening. The sun will soon be setting and the sky is clear.

When they get home, they dress to go dancing. Marie puts her high heels in her purse and puts on a pair of comfortable loafers to make the walk to the club. She's excited and rushes Dan along. He's having some misgivings and wishing they were going to the base instead. He's afraid that Theresa's aunt might be at the club.

They walk over to Gord and Betty's then they all walk on down town to the French Social Club. Dan looks for Clay's Volkswagen but doesn't see it. He leads them upstairs to the check in desk. "Bonsoir, mes ami" he says at the desk. "Vouley vous me raconte?" He shows his I.D.

Ticket Checker: "Mais oui, monsieur. Comment sa va?"

Dan: (smiling) "Bon, bon. C'est ma femme, Marie. Elle et Anglaise."

Ticket Checker: "Good evening, Mrs. Millare"

Marie: "Good evening."

Dan: "Et c'est mes ami Anglais, Gordon et Betty Hamilton. Puis-je les faire signe?

Ticket Checker: "Oui, ici." He hands Dan a pen and pushes the check book to him. To Gord and Betty he says, "Your friend's French is not too good." and he winks at them. Gord grins and Betty looks guilty. Dan signs them in and they get their I.D. Cards. He pays the entrance fee and they go on in. He passes their cards out and Marie says, "They didn't spell my last name right!"

Dan: (looking appalled) "They Frenched your last name?"

Marie: "Oh Dan! Is that how our name would be in French?"

Dan: "Oui, Mistress."

Marie: "I'm not your mistress, I'm your wife!"

Dan: "In French a wife is 'la femme' or 'la mistress', but you are better than both."

Marie: "Flatterer! Keep it up and I'll see you get rewarded later!" She smiles and tries to wink. Dan chuckles at her effort.

They find a table for their purses and Marie changes her shoes. Now she faces Dan and draws him to his feet. She looks him eye to eye and says, "Come on, Short stuff, let's dance."

Dan leads her away from the table saying, "Yes, Horny" and as they swing into step with the music she steps on his toe. "Don't call me that! Especially in public!" and she's serious.

Dan: "Sorry Dear, I didn't think. It might not sound so innocent to others who overheard me. I'll not do it again."

She rubs her nose against his, "I just don't like that word. It belongs in the gutter. But I do feel powerful urges around you, like right now when we're dancing."

Dan pulls her closer and they dance around the floor with the colored lights spinning around them. When the music ends they wend their way back to the table. Gord's been to the bar.

Gord: "Dan, they sell quarts here! Just like in Quebec! I got some Molson's Export Ale! Thirteen percent alcohol! Wow!"

Betty: "Now Gordie, don't go getting yourself sloshed. Remember we have to walk home. Dan, you keep an eye on him."

Dan grins and says he will, but the grin freezes on his face as he sees Clay coming in the door with Theresa and her aunt. Clay waves but Dan just stands there. Marie sees them and waves back. She pulls on Dan's arm and tells him they're here. He weakly waves at the advancing party.

Theresa: "Hi, everybody. I'd like you to meet my aunt. This is Betty and her husband, its Gord, isn't it?"

Gord: (not even getting up) "Yeah, and you must be Marie Theresa Gaspre." He reaches across the table and takes her hand. "How do!"

Clay looks at Gord but Theresa goes on, "And this is my Aunt Ginger." Gord only nods his head.

She turns to Dan and says, "This is Dan and Marie Miller, guys meet my aunt, Ginger Gaspre.

Marie says, "Pleased to meet you." Dan says "Likewise."

Clay and party find seats around the table and Dan puts his head close to Clay's. He whispers, "What's she doing here?" Clay shrugs his shoulders and says it was Theresa who dragged her along.

Dan: "It was not! She cooked this up to embarrass me and conned Theresa into inviting her. I'll bet!"

So far Ginger is the perfect lady. She chats with Betty, Marie and Theresa and never bats an eye in Dan's direction. Soon Clay takes Theresa out to dance and Dan nods to Marie to do the same. They dance for a bit when Marie says, "Poor Ginger. Look. Gord has got up to dance with Betty and she's sitting there all alone." Dan changes the subject, "Dear, I can't look. I only have eyes for you." He draws her close and she blows in his ear. "You're making your bed..." she whispers.

At the end of the dance Dan and Marie are the only ones to return to the table. Ginger smiles at Dan across the table.

Ginger: "I think I know you." she says. "Didn't you go into the telephone office about a month ago to order a phone?"

Dan looks trapped! "Ah, yes. Why?"

Ginger: "I work at Fran's across the street from the telephone office and I was over there paying my bill when you came in. You probably don't remember me."

Dan: "Why would I?"

Marie: "Dan! That's not a very nice thing to say. Ginger's a very attractive lady. You might remember seeing her."

Dan: "Well, I don't. It's that simple."

Marie: "Ginger, please forgive Dan. Sometimes he can be very thoughtless and blunt! You wouldn't believe what he called me earlier tonight when we were going out to dance." She lowers her voice; "He called me 'horny'. It was his little joke as a play on words when he should have said 'honey'. I told him to have a little consideration for other people's feelings."

Ginger: (in a confiding tone) "And are you?" She grins.

Marie: "Sometimes!" and she giggles.

Ginger: "Aren't we all!" They laugh together. "Oh look, he's turning red! How quaint. A modest man!" says Ginger.

Dan: "Honey, and please note I use the proper term, would you like to dance?"

Marie: "Of course. I'm horny, ain't I?" and she kisses him. They go out on the floor and Dan glances over her shoulder at Ginger. She twiddles her fingers in a secretive wave. He looks away quickly.

Everyone comes back to the table at the end of the dance and more beers are bought at the bar. They all talk at once except Dan who is quite quiet. During a lull in the conversation Marie turns to him and says, "Dan, why don't you be a gentleman and ask Ginger for a dance." Betty chimes in, "Yeah, Dan, what's wrong with you? Get out there and shake a leg." Ginger looks across the table and smiles at him invitingly.

Dan: "Can't! I have to go to the washroom." He gets up and so does Ginger. "I think its time for me to powder my nose, too." She trails along behind him.

At the bathroom doors Dan wheels and says in a low seething voice, "How come you're not in Halifax this weekend? Is your husband in town?" Ginger just smiles and puts her hand on the door, "See you later, Curley"

When Dan comes out Ginger is already back at the table. Clay is dancing with Theresa and Betty is in a deep private conversation with Gord. Marie and Ginger are talking across the table. Before Dan can sit down, Marie says, "Here he is." and Ginger stands and turns to him. She is poised with one hand reaching for his and backs him onto the floor. Dan puts his hand on her waist and his other on her shoulder and they move in time to the music. As they mingle with the crowd she moves closer to avoid another couple behind them. She presses herself against him suddenly and whispers in his ear, "So you know about our weekends in Halifax! Are you going to tell Clay?" Dan pushes her slightly away, "It's none of my business. Before I found out, I warned him to keep his eyes open. No real good looker like Theresa falls into your lap without troubles. It's his problem! Now, how about you? Are you going to back off?"