Dan's Story Pt. 03 - Everything Goes Awry

Story Info
Life is becoming unravelled.
58.5k words
4.41
3.7k
4
0

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/25/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

THURSDAY, AUGUST 31: 1650

Dan comes in from work to find Marie elated. She has Danny in her arms all dressed and says, "Turn around and go back out to the car. I'll be right with you."

She's smiling and bubbly, so he doesn't question her, he does as she asks. "Where to?" he says, as she piles in with the baby. "Just drive downtown. I have a great surprise!"

Dan pulls out the driveway and heads downtown. She says, "Pull in over there by the railway station." He scratches his head and pulls in. "I'll be right back." she hands the baby to him and goes inside.

Dan has a funny feeling her parents or his have sent something by rail. Soon she comes out with an envelope in her hands. She gets in and says, "Now Dan, this is my surprise and I don't want you getting upset over it. I'm very happy about this so please don't spoil it for me. Oh Dan, I love you so much and I try to do everything I can to please you, but sometimes I think you're unreasonable." She sits on the passenger side of the car against the door as if she's afraid he'll hit her. She looks like she could start to cry at any time.

Dan just looks at her and his feelings have turned to dread. "What's in the envelope?"

She holds the envelope out to him and her hand is trembling.

Dan is afraid to take it but he does. He looks it over before opening it and glances again at her. She is visibly shaking and Dan's fear grows. He opens the envelope and examines the contents. A telegram, a CP cheque and a Tele Order for Plane reservations with TCA. The sender: Mrs. A Elmsdale, Clinton, Ontario. Dan tries to control his emotions but he's young and cannot completely hide his anger. He hands the envelope back to Marie and lets Danny play with his fingers. He concentrates on Danny and makes little shapes for him with his fingers.

Marie: "Say something, Dan!"

Dan: (with a very firm clenched jaw) "What do you want me to say?" He contemplates the mirror and moves it so Danny can see himself. He moves his fingers in front of it so Danny looks at them and then moves them back. Danny stares at himself and grins. Dan softens and grins a little too. "Why did they send it, Marie?" he says softly.

Marie: (sliding closer and reaching to hold his tense arm) "Mom called this morning just after you left for work. I told her about your course and she insisted I come home while you're away. I told her we couldn't afford it but she said she would pay for my trip. I tried to explain that you would be upset, but she said it didn't matter, that I should not stay all alone in an apartment with you out of town. She was happy to hear about our new home, Dan. She knows you're trying to do the best you can. Please, Dan, she just will feel a lot better knowing I'm safe and Danny is out of harms way with them while you go on course. They'll enjoy seeing Danny, too. Please say its all right."

Dan: "You know how I feel about this!" he points at the envelope. "I can't change my feelings! That damn woman interferes in our life every time I turn around! Why can't they let us work our own problems out?" He glares out the window at the railway station. "That reservation is for tomorrow morning! I guess we better get home so you can pack!"

Dan starts the car and they drive home. Marie has his favorite foods on for supper, but Dan's not hungry. He's thirsty and gets a beer. Another follows the first and by the time Marie has finished her packing he's drunk and flopped out on the couch.

When she has Danny to bed she comes and urges Dan to come to bed. He tells her to leave him alone so she goes to bed. Later he gets up and has a shower. Quietly he gets into bed beside her and notices she has cried herself to sleep. He turns out the light and tries to sleep. Everything is hazy and he realizes he's in Clay's Volkswagen with Clay and Sam. Far away Marie runs away through the mist and he fights to get out and run after her. "Marie," he calls, "Marie, wait for me!" He struggles to get out as Sam and Clay laugh at his efforts. "Marie! Marie! Wait, Marie!" he calls, "MARIE! MARIE!"

"I'm right here, Dan. Wake up, wake up, Dan. I'm right here!" Marie holds him and Dan awakens from his nightmare. He holds her tight and tells her he had a nightmare that she was leaving him. "Oh Dan, I'll be back when you come back off course. I'll make sure I'm here the day before you get back. We'll be together then."

They settle down and hold each other as they go to sleep.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 1: 1600

Dan goes with Sam to supper at the base and they plan their trip to Greenwood. They have decided to take the Ford and go over tomorrow. Dan took the bus to work this morning so Marie would have the car to bring her luggage and Danny to the base to catch her plane. He took time off to see them off on the flight, then took the car back to the shops with him. Now they're putting together their agenda for going on course.

Sam: "My stuff's all packed so why don't we put it in your car after supper? Then that's out of the way. What about your stuff? You packed yet?"

Dan: "No, I'm going to pack tonight. Think I'll bring the Plymouth over to the house tonight, too. Its still in Irma's garage. Want to give me a hand?"

Sam: "Sure."

They finish up their supper and go to load Sam's gear, then head into town. Dan pulls into Irma's and knocks on the door. She comes right away.

Irma: "Why Dan, its nice to see you again. Come to visit? Where's Marie?" She sees Sam in the car.

Dan explains to her about the course and Marie's trip with Danny to Ontario. He tells her that he's come by to pick up the Plymouth. By this time she has a cup of tea in front of him, so he sits with her and chats for a few minutes.

When Dan comes out, Sam is patiently waiting and he asks Sam to drive the Ford over to the house. He goes around and gets the Plymouth going and drives it out into the alley. Without plates he's going to have to quickly drive it directly to the house and hope he doesn't get caught. He does so and finds the Ford parked by the curb on the street by his drive. Dan pulls the Plymouth right up to the house and Sam pulls in behind him. Dan waves for Sam to come on in and he goes to the door. Sam comes in and takes a proffered beer from Dan's hand.

Dan: "Thanks, Sam. You saved me a walk to get the jalopy."

They sit down at the kitchen table and enjoy their beer.

Sam: "This is sure a nice place you got here. Lots better than our barracks. Have Jack and Lorena been back over, yet."

Dan: "No, I don't know why, but Marie doesn't seem to like Lorena much. What's going on between you and her? You screwing her, or is Ginger keeping your wick wet?" He grins.

Sam: "Nothing doing with Lorena. I haven't had time to work on her. Never did get in her pants yet. Might one day. Who knows!"

Dan: "Oh, I've got to go up and make arrangements with Gord and Betty to look after things while we're away. Check the mail, water Marie's plants and check the place is all right. That sort of stuff you don't have to worry about in the barracks."

They get up and go around the main house and upstairs. Dan knocks and Betty comes to the door.

Betty: "Come on in, guys. Did Marie get away all right this morning, Dan?"

Dan: "Yep. How'd you know she was going? I thought I would have to tell you she's gone."

Marie: (wrinkling her nose and grinning at him) "We girls know everything. Haven't you figured that out yet?" she pokes him in the ribs. "She called me this morning after you left for work and I went down and gave her a hand to get ready. She was worried about you getting your own supper tonight but I guess you must have figured something out... or are you still hungry? Come on, I can fix you something."

Dan: "Don't worry. I grabbed supper at the base."

Marie: "Want to watch TV then. Gord isn't home but I don't mind. If its not sports I might even sit down with you. I have to keep an eye on you for Marie, you know." she giggles, "I may sneak down and have you show me some action. That would show Marie that she shouldn't leave you here alone with me." Dan laughs and she does too.

Dan: "I just came up to bring you the keys. I can lock the door on the way out without them. Marie'll get them from you when she gets back. That should work out all right. By the way, I parked the Plymouth up by the house and the key for it's there too. If you need to move it or anything."

Marie: "O.K. Sure you won't stay and have a beer or something?" She winks and rubs her shoulder against his. They laugh together again and Dan goes to the door with Sam.

Betty: "You guys take it easy and have fun on your course. I'll look after your place, so don't worry. Bye."

They go down the stairs and Sam says, "She's hot after your bod, man!"

Dan: (laughing) "No, that's just Betty's way. She flirts and teases even in front of Gord and Marie. I guess she feels safe around an old married man like me and just loves to let herself go. She sure is cute, isn't she?"

Sam: "Cute and frustrated! She needs a man in her box in the worst way! Believe me, I know! What's the matter with Gord?"

Dan: "I don't know. He just isn't interested in sex much."

Sam: "You ever been in the shower with him at the base? He's got the smallest peanut I ever saw. Had to keep looking the other way or he would have seen the grin on my face."

Dan: "Oh Sam, I never seen it and don't suppose I ever will. What you guys showering together for?"

Sam: "Back from a hot flight last summer he grabbed a shower in the barracks with us. Don't look so shocked, we were in different showers side by side!"

Dan: "You heard the one about the guy from Mississippi? Had his pecker tattooed with MISSI, at least that was what all his buddies thought. But his girl friend straightened them out. She told them it was MISSISSIPPI, and she should know. Maybe Gord's the same. Not much to look at but look out when it grows!" They laugh about that but Sam says he has his doubts.

Sam: "Guess they just love each other and make do with that. But I bet she sure would like some loving!"

They go down town after packing for a while and Sam decides to spend the night on Dan's couch. He says he'll watch to let Betty in and he has a twinkle in his eye. "I'll show her where your bedroom is, good buddy!" he cackles.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, NOON

Dan is on the payphone in the messhall. Sam is standing behind him.

Sam: "Are you sure you dialed the right number?"

Dan: "Certainly, how could I forget my own number. It's forty four eleven. How could anyone forget that. Maybe she's up at Betty's. I'll try later."

He hangs up and they go for lunch. After lunch he tries again. Still no answer. They go back to class and the last review of the afternoon. It's a short session and they're finished by 1500.

Dan and Sam return to the barracks and look at their gear packed and piled in Dan's room.

Dan: "I'm going to give her one more try." He goes down the hall to the payphone while Sam starts to load the luggage. He lets the phone ring ten times, then hangs up. After a few minutes he tries again but still no answer. He wishes he had Gord and Betty's number. He could get it from information but decides against it. He helps Sam with their bags and they make a last minute check of their rooms.

On the trip home they chat about the course. "I was surprised how much of the theory behind the ASV is similar to the APS. Of course they're designed to do the same job but the Brits have their own way of achieving the same effects, ... and more efficiently, too." says Dan.

Sam: "I don't know. I think the whole system is bass akwards. I couldn't see why they seemed to be doing everything from a point of origin near the end result."

Dan: "But there are reasons. They avoid many of the physical problems that the Yanks encountered by placement and shielding. It only seems backwards because you're familiar with the APS first. If you had never seen the APS system, you'd find this one much easier to understand."

Sam: "I guess that's why you topped the class, ...or at least tied for first. That guy from Comox really knew his stuff."

Dan: "You didn't do so bad yourself. If you hadn't had that distraction in class you probably would have scored right up there. She's from the States, eh? U.S.A.F.?"

Sam: "I'm happy! I scored right up there with her!" he chuckles. "Two weeks in bed with that was worth any marks. I'm just glad we passed."

Dan: "Going to see her again?"

Sam: "God, no! I hope not! She's gone back to Biloxi, Mississippi. By the way, I told her your joke about the guy with the tattoo. I think she's heard it a hundred times already." They laugh together.

Dan: "She might get back up here with a flip if you wanted her to."

Sam: "No, no, no! Twice this week the damn condum broke and I didn't tell her! That's what I get for using Air Force issue, I guess. She's probably up the stump already and doesn't know it. Hope she jumps into the sack with some old boy friend tonight and goes bareback. She'll think its his." He laughs.

Dan: "Probably was a safe time of the month anyway. You don't know that she's caught!"

Sam: "Why do you think she insisted I wear a glove. I hate those things and tried to convince her I could pull out before shooting, but she wouldn't take the chance. She said she was halfway between periods and at her most fertile. That's why I didn't tell her when the damn thing broke. I stayed in her till she went to sleep and by morning it was all dry and she couldn't tell the difference. It worked both times, but I was sweating for a while."

Dan: (laughing) "Sam, your impossible! How many kids you got around the Maritimes?"

Sam: "Three that I'm sure of. Only one of the girls has blamed me though. She's back home in St. John. She says she's waiting for me to get out of the service and she's going to marry me. I got news for her. I'm a career man. I'll stick with the service till I'm old and gray."

Dan: "I'll bet there are lots of other possibilities, if your sure of three."

Sam: "Yeah." He gets a faraway look in his eyes. Dan just shakes his head. He pulls in at the next service station to gas up. He uses the payphone and tries his home number again. Still no answer. He puts the phone down and looks thoughtful and a bit angry. He pays for the gas and they get on the road again. It's dark now and they're only about fifteen miles from the ferry landing.

Sam: "Still no answer, eh?"

Dan: "No. She's not there! I'm sure she's still at her mother's. I've been thinking that all day. I'll call when we get in."

Sam: "Why does she stay so long when she goes home, Dan? Isn't she happy here with you?"

Dan: "I don't know. She seems happy and I know she's happy with our new place. She likes Betty and hangs out with her a lot. I don't know why she doesn't seem to want to come home."

Sam: "Sex life O.K.?"

Dan: "The best! Oh, at times we drag a bit. Who doesn't? After all it can be a strain to raise a youngster and be pregnant for another one, but she doesn't complain. She's some disappointed that she can't work out, but being pregnant and all has put an end to that for now. When she looks tired I try to help her. Most of the time I live in a sex orgy, morning and at night ...and lunch if I asked. Our sex life is more than O.K."

Sam: "Figured it must be. You don't even look at another female any more. Ginger'd love to get you in bed and she says Theresa would, too. And that kid upstairs is panting after you and you don't even notice."

Dan: "Sam, your all wrong about Betty. She's just having fun. She knows it and I know it."

Sam: "Yeah."

They pull up to the ferry landing and the ferry is just loading so they almost immediately pull on board. The crossing is smooth and when Dan pulls off the ferry he drives around to one of the nearby houses. He parks and goes inside for a bottle of moonshine. "I'm thinking I might need that this weekend." he says.

They drive to Summerside and out to the base. Dan helps Sam with his gear and tries the payphone again. He only lets it ring half a dozen times before he hangs up.

Dan: (in Sam's door) "See you Monday at noon. We're on the new shift. Don't forget now. See ya."

Dan drives home to a cold empty house. He goes upstairs. Its late but Gord won't be in from work for another hour so he knocks. Betty opens the door and waves him in. She's on the phone and is dressed in a light see through nightgown and she stands in front of the dining room lights that filter through the material and outline her figure. He mouths "wow!" as he looks her up and down. She wrinkles her nose and sticks her tongue out at him.

Betty: "Just a minute, he just came in." She hands the phone to Dan. 'Marie' she mouths and it looks like she's blowing him a kiss. He grins and shakes his head as he takes the phone.

Dan: "Hello honey, what's up? ...I tried to call home today and when you didn't answer I figured you were still there. ...Honey, I'm tired. I just had a long day and I Don't want to argue. ...Two weeks! Betty is offering to take me to bed so you better get back here (Betty hoots in the background and Dan laughs) Why two weeks? ...Well I think you better think up a good reason before I call again." Dan hangs up the phone.

Betty brings him a cup of coffee. "Jesus, Betty, do you always just let people into your place with next to nothing on. Don't you know lots of guys would jump at the chance and rape you. Thanks for the coffee."

Betty: "Would you ravage me, Dan? I knew it was you. I heard you out back. Here are your keys." she hands him the keys.

Dan: "You know I'd never hurt you. You are just like my kid sisters. And I would punch the lights out of any son of a bitch who ever touched you. That's not the point. I give up!" He grins and shrugs his shoulders. "Is that the see through outfit you got to tempt Gord?"

Betty: "No. Do you want to see it?" She runs into the bedroom.

Dan: (calling after her) "No, Betty! For God's sakes, I'm only human. Don't put that on!"

She carries it back to the light by the table. "I'm not going to model it for you!" she wrinkles her nose and chuckles. "Do you want me to?"

Dan: "Let's see that thing. Whew, I think I'd like to see you in that!" they both laugh and she goes to put it away while Dan finishes his coffee. She comes back and picks up his cup and drains the last drops from it. "I wonder why Marie always likes to drink your coffee? It tastes the same to me." Dan gets up grinning and says he has to go. She sees him to the door and says, "Good night."

Dan goes downstairs and lets himself in. He turns on some lights and gets a beer from the frig. He sits down at the table and pulls the phone over to him. He plays with the dial as he drinks his beer, then he picks up the receiver and dials. "Hello, Marie? ... Yes, its Dan. ... Did I? ... Can you explain to me why you are not here waiting for me to come home? ... So she's paying for your visit, so what! ... Don't promises to your husband mean anything to you? .. Don't pull that crying bit on me! Explain! ... Shit! I'm sitting here looking at four walls and an empty house. Tell me about it! ... If you miss me so damn much, why are you there? ... Oh God, if I hear that again I'll scream. ... O.K. Two weeks! I'll see you on the twenty ninth. I'll go crazy waiting for you. I love you so much. How's Danny? ... He has a rash? What is it? ... I wouldn't doubt it. Maybe if you changed formulas. Never had that problem when he was nursing. ... I suppose she doesn't! Too bad! If it gets any worse, check with the doctor. ...I love you ,too. Please take care of yourselves, I need you and miss you both... See you the end of the month."

He hangs up and gets another beer. He looks at it, then puts it down. He locks the house and jumps into the car. He drives to the French Social Club. Upstairs the music is sounding out and he climbs the stairs. He stands at the entrance looking for familiar faces. None. He debates then goes on in. He circles the tables along side the dance floor and does not see anyone he knows. As the dance ends he turns back towards the entrance and almost trips over Lorena. She's with a stranger, who she introduces as another brother of Jack's. This is Harvey. He's small and wiry like Jack. Edgar is tall and rangy in contrast and it is hard to believe they're brothers. This guy you would take for Jack's brother at a glance.