Forever is a Strong Word

Story Info
Two singles with different stories get together.
19.1k words
4.78
11.9k
23
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PickFiction
PickFiction
1,431 Followers

All of my writing is fiction, and the stories and characters are products of my imagination. They were created for my fun and, hopefully, your enjoyment. Some of the events in the stories are not particularly condoned nor encouraged by the author but are there to create and enhance the story of the imaginary characters and their lives. Comments are always encouraged and carefully reviewed. All characters within the story that need to be are 18 years of age or older. I hope you enjoy! And take a second to vote and comment.

◇-◇-◇-◇

"I'm just not happy with them, that's why." Tanny's words sounded frustrated, a bit discouraged, and tinged with a trace of anger.

"Unhappy enough to pull Mikaela out just like that. I mean, she probably has friends there. You don't want to upset her too much." Brenda had always been the voice of reason, keeping Tanny from making too many quick and sometimes destructive decisions.

"Yes, I want the very best for her. That's what Terry would have wanted and gotten, and I can't do anything less."

"What's so bad about this daycare?"

"It's too big and has too many kids for the number of people they have looking after them and teaching them. I think they're just after more money, and Terry would have hated that. Mikaela deserves the best, and I'm going to see that she gets it, despite the fact that I'm alone."

"Tanny, you're doing a good job with Mikaela. Don't punish yourself for something you don't deserve."

"It just isn't fair," Tanny said softly, two tears streaking her cheeks.

"I know it's not, sis. But it happened."

"Why did it have to happen to us? I mean, we weren't perfect, but we were in love, happy, and new parents. Terry worked, and I could stay home with Mikaela. It was wonderful, and I was dreaming of more children, a son for Terry,...and then the plane crashed. Why wasn't it Sam's turn to fly that day?"

"Tanny, don't. That's cruel."

"Sam isn't married--he didn't even have a girlfriend. It's just not fair."

"So much isn't fair, Tanny. You have wonderful memories and a beautiful daughter to remind you of Terry and what you two had together."

Tanny was silent for a moment, then looked at her sister.

"I know. It's just that I still haven't accepted that he's gone. I mean, I'd never imagined I'd find someone like Terry and that he'd fall in love with me and we'd be married. I still wake up at night and reach for him." Tanny blotted the tears. "I'll get there, I'm sure. But right now, I need to find a new daycare for Mikaela."

"You said before that money wasn't an issue, right?"

"Right. Between the insurance the company carries for its pilots and the insurance Terry had for himself, I'm practically a millionaire, so money isn't a problem." Tanny paused and sighed. "I'm the problem. I hate to do anything that reminds me that I'm a single mom. I have trouble holding it together when that happens."

Terry Fischer had been a pilot for Carrigan Building and Industries, a large company with two corporate jets, thus the two pilots. But, when things were a little slow, and only one was needed, the two pilots would alternate flights. It had been Terry's turn when the plane developed mechanical issues and had crashed into the Arizona desert. Terry was alone at the time, flying to Phoenix to pick up one of the company's clients. Tanny liked to say she was nearly a millionaire when the total insurance settlement had been $1,250,000, give or take a few dollars.

"Would you like me to help you find a new daycare?" Brenda asked finally.

"That isn't fair to you," Tanny said. "You have your life to live, and I don't want to interfere."

"Don't be silly, sis. It might be fun to poke around together."

Tanny hesitated. "It would be fun to do that. And also helpful to have a second set of eyes and ears."

"I have a couple of friends I'll question about it. They may have some input. I'll get back with you tomorrow."

"Let me give you a hug," Tanny said, extending her arms to her sister. "It's nice that you always have my back."

The hug was a little longer and stronger than most of them were, but this one was special.

◇-◇-◇-◇

"Marcy, I've got a little problem. Actually, my sister has the problem, but I'm trying to help her out."

"So, am I going to be part of this problem?" Marcy asked with a chuckle.

"Part of the solution, I hope."

"Go on."

"She's looking for a new daycare for her daughter, who's just three years old. "

"You know my kids haven't been in daycare for quite a few years, don't you?" Marcy couldn't keep from laughing.

"Yeah, I know, but you always have contacts--people who know everything."

"That would be me." She laughed again. "But let me check with my neighbor. I know her kids used to go to daycare, and she had good things to say about it. I'll call you back."

Brenda was hopeful. She knew that Tanny didn't handle stress well, and with no Terry to shield her, she seemed more vulnerable than ever. She knew this wouldn't be the last crisis she'd have to help with, but perhaps Tanny would become, well, more stable and able as time passed. Sometimes it seemed a faint hope, but it was a possibility.

Thirty minutes later, Brenda's phone rang.

"That was quick, Marcy."

"I was lucky. I went next door, and she was there and happy to give me the information. The daycare she used to use is called Darla's Daycare. She wasn't too hopeful, though, as Darla only takes four little ones at a time. If you're lucky, you might get in, or at least on a waiting list. My neighbor says that Darla just loves kids and isn't trying to make lots of money with it. She doesn't advertise or anything. Most of her kids come to her through recommendations. Let me give you her name, address, and cell number."

Brenda copied as Marcy recited the information. It certainly sounded good, and she was hopeful that Tanny could at least get on a short waiting list.

"Thanks so much, Marcy."

"Good luck to your sister. Let me know if it works out."

"Will do."

Brenda could hardly wait to call her sister and share the information she'd gathered. It sounded like a long shot but was certainly worth a shot. She called Tanna and told her about Darla's Daycare.

"It sounds like it might be exactly what I'm looking for. And I'd be willing to pay more for something like that."

"I don't think Darla's interested in money, or she'd want more than four kiddies."

"That makes sense, Brenda. You say you have her number?"

"I can be at your house in fifteen minutes, and we can call."

Brenda knew that Tanna would be extremely stressed and nervous about making the call by herself. Thus the trip to Tanny's house.

"Here's the number, and be sure to be on speaker mode."

Brenda had given Tanny the information but hadn't said anything about what a Longshot this seemed to be. There was no need to discourage her sister.

Tanny made the call.

"Darla's Daycare. Darla speaking."

"Hi, Darla. My name is Tanny Fischer, and I have a three-year-old daughter who's looking for a daycare, and you were highly recommended. I'm just hoping you have an opening."

Both Tanny and Brenda held up crossed fingers.

"As of yesterday, I do. But I have a waiting list as well, and you are added to it as of this call."

Both sisters looked disappointed.

"Let me add something, though. I always give preference to single mothers, and the three on my waiting list are not. Are you?"

"I am," she said, enthusiasm sounding in her voice. For once, single mother wasn't a bad thing.

Brenda smiled since this was about the first time she'd seen Tanny show any enthusiasm since Terry's death.

"Perfect. I have two boys and a girl, so your daughter will even things out. If you can be here at six, we can work out the details."

"I have your address, and I'll be there."

"Looking forward to it.

◇-◇-◇-◇

Tanny was at Darla's five minutes early, a reluctant Mikaela in tow. The grass had just been mowed, and that fresh aroma filled the air, causing Tanny to smile as she walked to the front door. Maybe that was a good sign.

Once inside, Darla took over, showing the three-year-old around the big room and telling her in carefully metered words what she would be doing if she came to school there. The place smelled of cleanliness and something else, possibly one of those freshening sprays. It seemed clear that Darla's preschool was meant to be a very pleasant place. When it came time to talk to Tanny, Mikaela perched herself carefully on Darla's lap. The two adults wore big smiles.

"Well, an important question has been answered," Darla began with a chuckle.

"She does seem to have a new friend."

"What exactly are you looking for here, Tanny?"

It was a very direct question, and Tanny thought she had an answer.

"I'm sure that most single mothers who use daycare do it so they can work. I don't work, but I'm busy all day volunteering at the Wharton Center, which serves the homeless and others that are left behind. I want Mikaela to get a good start in life and in her education, something I'm not equipped to give her." She was ready to say more but wanted to hear Darla's thoughts.

"That is a little different, but it's not a problem. With just four kids, I can spend a lot of time with each one and get to know and understand them."

"My husband was a pilot for Carrigan Building and Industries, and his plane crashed in Arizona, so there was lots of insurance. That's why I'm able to volunteer at the center. One of their employees left, and I'm filling that position as a volunteer. I think it saves them a lot of money."

"Your mother is a good person, isn't she, Mikaela?" Darla said into the little girl's ear.

"Good," Mikaela repeated.

Darla smiled at Tanny. "The other three parents are divorcees--two women and a man, and they drop their kids off at seven. That's not required, but it's nice when we can all begin together."

"Seven o'clock is no problem."

"I might mention that while the man is a single parent, I found out after his son started that he and his ex share custody, so she drops the son off every other week."

Tanny shrugged, that being of no consequence to her.

"Does that mean she's accepted?"

"I don't see why not, as long as you sign the price agreement."

"That's no problem," Tanny exclaimed, a look of joy filling her face. "Where do I sign?"

"Did you hear that, Mikaela? You'll be coming here to see me again."

Two tiny hands clapped while two eyes were fixed on Darla's face

◇-◇-◇-◇

"We need to work something out," Bryan said to his cell phone, dreading the answer he was probably going to get.

"Sounds like you need to work something out," the voice on the other end said coldly.

"Paula, come on. Be reasonable."

"I don't think it's reasonable you're looking for. I think it's a favor."

"A favor, a little help, whatever you want to call it."

"I don't do favors for my ex, you know."

Bryan sighed. "I know this will cost me, but I need the help."

"Now we're beginning to communicate. What's up?"

"I have to leave town next week for a conference that lasts Monday through Friday, so I need you to take Bart for that time. I was hoping we might just trade." Bryan closed his eyes, the look on his face saying he was relatively positive that wouldn't happen.

"My schedule is pretty tight, Bryan, but for, say, a hundred and fifty, I could probably do some rearranging." Bryan noticed a lightening in her tone.

Another sigh from Bryan. It wasn't the one-hundred-fifty dollars that bothered him. That was very doable. It was the humiliation of having to beg his ex to do it, to do something to help their son. Paula had been unhappy when she'd found she was pregnant with Bart and had blamed Bryan for causing it despite the fact that her losing her birth control pills and neglecting to replace them had been the culprit.

There had been a few times when Paula needed the same help, and, rather than mimicking what she had just done, Bryan was more than happy to have Bart for an extra few days.

"You're so kind and considerate, Paula." There was more that Bryan wanted to say, but it would just be wasted words. "I'll give you the money when I drop her off."

"Forget the money," Paula said. "I'm not going to charge you to take care of my own child. When will you drop her off?"

That sounded like a different Paula, but he had been noticing little differences lately. She still sought to stay a little defiant, but he'd just noticed a softening around the edges.

"Sunday, about two. I hope that's okay since I have to catch a plane at five."

"That's a little early, but I guess I can give you that. Bye now."

Bye now was about as pleasant as Paula ever seemed to be these days.

The marriage had been nice enough...until Paula found she was pregnant. Bryan had always assumed they'd have a family, but evidently, Paula had other thoughts. It had been tense until Bryan had gotten sick at work and had come home early and found Paula and a delivery man sitting in the family room with Paula looking a bit flushed. She'd never admitted anything, and perhaps they were just talking. But sometimes suspicions are hard to discard.

The divorce had seemed normal enough, Bryan just wanting to get it over with and get custody of Bart. But privately, Paula was in a seemingly vengeful mood and insisted on shared custody, threatening to make things ugly if he didn't agree. Bryan was just biding his time, knowing Paula would eventually do something foolish, and he could get full custody.

So custody was shared, and Bryan hoped that Paula was doing her best with Bart. He'd checked with the daycare and learned that Bart was always there on time. That was a good sign, and he hoped it was an indication of how things were going in general.

It was Monday morning, and Tanny was at Darla's five minutes before seven when she met someone else coming up the walk.

"Bot," a little voice said, the closest she could come to Bart.

"Hi, K-la," rang out as two little ones ran inside.

"You must be the new mother," the natty dressed man said.

"Naw, she's three years old," Tanny said, a big smile on her face.

He laughed. "That didn't come out quite right. Let me try again. Your daughter is the new student, right?"

"Yes, Mikaela is my daughter, and I'm Tanny."

"Bot is mine, and I'm Bryan." His look darkened. " My ex brought him last week."

"I met her."

He shrugged. "Lucky you," he sneered.

It didn't take a Swami to tell Tanny that was a good subject to drop.

"Do I sound bitter?" Bryan asked, shaking his head.

"It's fine," Tanny answered. "I guess we all have baggage."

"True, but I shouldn't drop it on your toes."

Tanny chuckled at Bryan's words.

"I need to be off to work," he said, "but it's good to meet you."

"The same. And I'm sure we'll be seeing each other again."

Tanny waved and went inside to be sure the two little ones had gotten to where they belonged. She peeked around a corner and received a thumbs-up from Darla.

Tanny was off to the homeless shelter, enjoying and feeling fulfilled by her time helping those who needed help the most. It wasn't difficult work, it just took time, dedication, and caring.

Some days Tanny wished there was a volunteer whose time, dedication, and caring were centered on her. Adapting to living without Terry wasn't going well. Despite having no financial worries, she was having difficulty dealing with the loneliness. Her days were full, and her evenings were spent playing with Mikaela. After her daughter went to bed, the loneliness attacked. She spent hours sitting in her daughter's darkened bedroom, often shedding tears and wishing Terry could see what a wonderful daughter he'd fathered.

But what had happened wasn't going to change, and she needed to learn to live with it.

◇-◇-◇-◇

"Hey, buddy, I've been trying to call you for a couple of days. What's going on?"

"Sorry, Jerry. I switch my phone off at work so I won't be distracted and then forget to switch it back on. I figure it out when I try to set the alarm."

"Listen, I have something I think you may be interested in."

"Really?" lt was too bad Jerry couldn't see him roll his eyes.

"Yes, we have a new lady at work, a good-looking lady at that, and she said she'd be interested in a date." Jerry sounded enthusiastic...as usual. He did his best despite Bryan's wishing he didn't. Bryan was learning to be single again and wasn't interested in multitasking.

"Thanks for thinking about me, Jerry, but it wouldn't be fair to the lady. She's probably looking for something more permanent than I am."

"So what are you looking for, Bryan?"

Bryan thought he heard a note of frustration in Jerry's voice, not surprising given how intent Jerry seemed to be in his efforts to find a new woman for him. Bryan was about to decide to tell Sam point-blank to leave it alone.

"Peace and quiet, Jerry. Just peace and quiet."

"How about Bart? Do you think he might like a nice mama?"

"That might happen one day, and Bart might be what makes it happen."

That was certainly true, particularly since he wasn't certain how good Paula was with Bart. Otherwise, he was content with the way things were.

"Okay, man. Are you in the office tomorrow?"

"Yep. I'll probably see you there."

"I'll have a photo so you can see what you're missing."

"Bye, Jerry."

Bryan sat down and watched Bart playing with a big truck, doing his best to supply all the sounds. Maybe Jerry was right, and Bart needed someone he could call mother. Someone besides Paula, that is. He wasn't sure what Paula was called...except what he called her. Bedtime came for both the boys, Bart falling asleep almost immediately, Bryan not so much.

"Ah, we meet again," he said, coming up the walk at Darla's.

Tanny laughed. "Bryan and Bart, isn't it? And good morning."

"It is. And you're McKenna and...I'm terrible with names, except at work." Bryan had an embarrassed look on his face.

"I'm Tanny, and this is Mikaeka."

"None for two," Bryan said, shaking his head. "Tanny and Mikaela. Tanny and Mikaela. Tanny and Mikaela. There. That should do it, I hope."

That brought a laugh from both of them.

"The weekend will probably erase it again," Bryan added with a chuckle.

"I think it was the two B's that helped me. Bryan and Bart."

"I try to do that at work, association to remember a name. Like granny for Tanny, but that just doesn't fit."

"Thank goodness for that," she laughed.

Bryan had another word that rhymed with Tanny, but he wasn't about to say it aloud. It certainly did fit her very well, though.

They led the little ones inside.

"Hey, glad you two are here," Darla said. "Every once in a while, I have an extra event, and this time it's a picnic, and it's this Saturday. It allows the kids to play together in a different setting, and it's at Blacklick Park, which has a nice nature trail. That allows me to begin to teach them a little about nature and allows the parents a chance to share experiences and information. I hope you two can come. Bryan, I think Paula came to the last one."

It surprised Bryan that Paula would take time out of her Saturday to spend time with a bunch of three-year-olds.

"I can be there," he said.

"Me too. What time?"

"We'll meet at the main shelter house at ten. If everyone chips in five dollars, I'll supply the food."

"That doesn't sound like enough, Darla," Bryan suggested as he pulled a ten from his wallet.

"Thank you," she said, watching Tanny fumbling in her purse.

Tanny waited till Bryan was saying goodbye to Bart, and she handed Darla a twenty.

"Oh my gosh, that's too much."

"If you have any left over, just keep it in your fund."

"Thank you as well, then. We should eat well on Saturday."

PickFiction
PickFiction
1,431 Followers