Found in the Woods

Story Info
Kitty brings 2 lonely people together.
15.5k words
4.8
11.2k
41
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Found in the Woods

"So, is this how my life will be from now on?"

The question haunted me. Every sunrise I sat on my cabin porch, coffee in hand, gazing over the valley below. I could see trees and hills for miles, but there was never a person in sight. On colder days there were plumes of smoke from far-off neighbor's fireplaces, but I never saw the people. I never met any of them and I didn't particularly care to.

My mood constantly changed, daily for sure, but sometimes in the course of a few seconds. I bounced between happiness, contentment, resignation, or completely pissed off that this was how I lived. Living in the Pocono Mountains seemed like a good way to escape, but in times like this it felt more like I was lost. I had no clue as to what shaped my attitude at any given moment.

"When did I last talk to someone?"

It struck me as I asked the question that I was beginning to talk aloud to myself far too much.

I remembered calling for tech support several months back. I guess that was the last...

"What the?"

I jumped out of my chair, spilling coffee down the front of my shirt, as something touched my leg. At first glance, I feared it was a skunk, but it was an adorable black tuxedo cat lying on his back as he played with the cuff of my jeans. The white stripe on his belly would have looked very skunk-like had it been on his back.

"Hey, little guy. Where'd you come from?"

I sat so I could reach down to pet him, but he jumped onto my lap before I had a chance. He purred as loudly as a coffee grinder when I started to pet him. I swear he was trying to turn himself inside out as he affectionately rubbed against me.

"Wow! You're certainly friendly. Did you come to keep me company?"

It was amazing how uninhibited he was to come to me like that. I was always a dog person, but petting my new friend rapidly changed my mood for the better. Suddenly, I noticed the sweet odor of honeysuckle as if it wasn't there before, but it had to have been. I looked over the valley again and felt a chill go down my spine as if the beauty of the scenery captured me for the first time.

My new friend looked up at me adoringly. "You must be some kind of magic kitty. Either that, or I didn't realize just how lonely I was."

He squinted with sparkling eyes and seemed to understand. "Damn! I need to get out more often."

I looked at his red, bespeckled collar for any sign of an owner's contact information but found none. The flea and tick collar was no help either. So, we just sat and basked in the morning sunlight together.

After enjoying each other's company for about thirty minutes, I realized I needed to get my day started. "Well, my friend, I've gotta go get some work done."

I picked him off of my lap and put him down as I went to go inside, but the quick little bugger beat me through the door. "Okay. Come on in," I said with a laugh. He didn't have fleas or ticks, so I figured, why not!

I filled my coffee cup, then placed a bowl of water on the floor next to the sink. He took a drink, then followed me to my office where he jumped onto my desk and made himself comfortable on top of my printer.

"Found a warm spot, did you? I guess if you're gonna spend some time here, I should call you something. Not sure what your actual name is, though." I thought for a moment and came up with a great solution. "How about, Skunk? Not only do you remind me of one, but I think you're a bit of a stinker." He rolled and looked at me with his head upside, and purred his acceptance.

I tried to be productive, but Skunk had me wishing for someone to really talk to. The friends I had were actually my ex-wife's, so I lost them in the divorce. The damn pandemic made it impossible to have a social life or find new companions. "Maybe," I thought, "I should get a dog or cat of my own."

Late in the afternoon, my visitor arose from his warm perch, stretched the stretch of contentment, gracefully jumped to the floor and walked towards the front door.

"I assume you need to go out?" He stopped at the door, turned to me, and softly meowed his answer. I let him out and watched him run down my driveway until he disappeared. "Bye, little buddy. Come again sometime."

"Damn. Speaking out loud to myself again! Well, at least I talked to someone else today, even if it was a cat."

*****

Skunk continued to visit me faithfully each day, always arriving around 8:00 AM, and leaving somewhere close to 4:00 PM. He was having a huge positive impact on my mood, and I started looking forward to each visit. On the fifth day he visited, I decided I needed to get in contact with his owner, but isolated out here in the woods I had no idea where he lived.

I remembered something I had that might be useful. When my dad passed away, he left me all his tools, which came with box after box of miscellaneous hardware and other junk he accumulated. Dad never threw anything out if he could help it. In one of those boxes, I remembered seeing an aluminum tubular container that was about three inches long and maybe three-quarters of an inch in diameter. It had a top that screwed on and a little loop for a string or small chain.

Skunk followed me out to my cluttered garage to help me find it. Damn if it wasn't sitting on the top of the pile of junk. I found an old keychain loop that fit in the top, and I was in business. I would simply write a note, enclose it in the tube, and attach it to Skunk's collar.

For being a professional writer, I sure struggled with what to put in the note. After dozens of mental drafts, I wrote the following:

Dear neighbor,

Your sweet cat has been kind enough to visit me each of the past five days. I've come to look forward to his arrival and hope you don't mind if I share his affection. If it's okay, please let me know his name. I've been calling him Skunk, but I'm sure you have named him far more appropriately. I hope to hear from you.

Respectfully, Ryan

Skunk seemed proud of his new trinket as he purred extra hard when I looped it onto his collar. I was fairly sure it was small enough so it wouldn't get hooked in the brush, but I admit I was worried when he trotted off that afternoon.

After he left, butterflies fluttered in my stomach, and I found I couldn't sit still. "Geez, Ryan, why are you so anxious about a cat?" Making the steak I planned for dinner somehow no longer appealed to me, so a bowl of cereal would suffice.

I sat on the porch watching the late-afternoon haze over the valley and munching on my Rice Chex while I mulled over the question I had asked myself. I couldn't remember being this jittery since the day I was preparing to ask my ex-wife to marry me.

Setting the bowl aside, I leaned back into my chair, closed my eyes, and focused on the sweet aromas coming from the flora in the woods, the musty odor of wet tree bark, and the clean smell of the pine trees. My surroundings helped to calm my nerves. Pondering my emotions, I had to face the fact that I was lonelier than I wanted to admit to myself. Why else would I feel so stressed reaching out to someone, even if by a note attached to a cat?

Darkness convinced me to go inside. I sat in my reading chair and opened a book I'd been planning to enjoy. I read the first page about five times before I realized it was hopeless. I kept thinking about what reply I might receive, if any. Giving up for the evening, I retired to bed to endure a restless night.

*****

At 6:00 AM, the smell of fresh coffee did little to revive me from a sleepless night. On the porch, I watched the sun rise and reviewed today's news on Google. I kept glancing down my driveway hoping that Skunk was early today.

The little bugger scared the crap outta me when he jumped onto my lap. At least this time I wasn't holding my coffee cup.

After giving him the proper greeting of chin-scritches, I unscrewed the tube from its top and looked inside. I could see a note on pink paper. My heart skipped a beat as I recalled that I had used white paper, so I had an answer. I had anticipated the worst expecting that my neighbor was probably an old hermit, but pink paper meant my neighbor was probably female, but you never knew for sure.

I couldn't get the note out, so I fetched my tweezers and carefully removed it. Feeling like a kid at Christmas, I unrolled it to see what message I'd find.

Ryan,

What a cute way to send a note! I wondered where Velcro went during the day. She (yes, SHE) is the friendliest and most loving kitty I've ever had. You are welcome to share her affection since I work from home all day, and once my partner, Tad, leaves in the morning, I have to close her out of my office if I hope to accomplish anything. I hope we get to meet sometime.

Your neighbor, Sandy

"Well, Velcro, sorry for thinking you were male." She purred and affectionately rubbed her head against my hand.

Sandy sounded sweet. I had no idea how old she was, but that didn't matter. Perhaps I found a friend, and maybe Tad was nice, too. But I couldn't stop my mind from wishing Sandy didn't have a significant other. "Where did that come from?" After my disastrous breakup with Maggie, I swore off dating and relationships. Maybe my heart was trying to convince my head to change my mind. Or, maybe I was horny?

Hell, no maybe about it.

*****

Sandy and I wrote short notes every day transmitted via Kitty Express--her idea for the name. They started out being about Velcro and then evolved to other vanilla subjects. Roughly three weeks after we started sharing notes, I really wanted to meet her. Instead of working like I should have been, I spent most of the morning drafting what I wanted to write. Finally it felt finished and I read it one last time.

Sandy,

Getting to know you through Kitty Express has been a lot of fun, but I'd really like to meet you and Tad. This pandemic isolation is wearing thin and I would welcome some human interaction. Would you and Tad be willing to join me for dinner on Friday? I'd love to put some steaks on the grill (or, salmon, if you prefer), and get to know you both. Please, call me at 555-123-9876 to let me know.

Ryan

I rolled it up, put it in the tube, and hoped for the best.

*****

I just finished putting some Swiss cheese on my chef's salad and I nearly jumped out of my skin when my phone rang. After all, it had been months since anyone called.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Ryan. This is Sandy, your neighbor."

"Ah, Velcro's mom! It's a pleasure to hear your voice."

"I know. But passing notes through Velcro is kinda fun."

"Makes me feel like when I passed notes in high school. So, you got my invitation?"

"Yes, and I'd really like to meet Velcro's friend. She speaks highly of you."

"She does, huh," I answered with a laugh. "Well, if you trust her opinion, are you and Tad available around six on Friday?"

"Well... um... Tad can't be there, but I'd like to still come if that's okay?"

My heart jumped for joy a little bit. I felt like I knew Sandy a little bit, and was far more interested in meeting her anyway.

"Sure. I'd love to have you, and you can bring Velcro, too. She can stand in for Tad."

I felt a tingle in the center of my chest at the sound of her laugh. "Oh, don't worry. She wouldn't let me out the door if she wasn't with me. Can I bring anything else?"

"I've got it pretty well covered, but I was only planning on brownies and ice cream for dessert if you want to bring something else."

"Great! Dessert is my specialty, so count on me bringing something."

"That sounds awesome. I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person."

"Me too!"

Before we signed off, I made sure she knew how to find my driveway since the winding, dirt roads of Peck's Pond had lots of unmarked drives and trails. After hanging up, I was amazed how giddy I felt. It was an alien feeling not at all like me, but it felt good. She sounded absolutely wonderful, and I wondered how serious her relationship was with Tad. I resolved to behave and respect boundaries, but a guy can dream, can't he?

*****

Crickets, rustling leaves, and the sounds from the woods created the symphony, and lightning bugs provided visual effects on this perfect evening. Mosquitos made their appearance and attacked, so I moved the grille into the screened-in portion of the porch before I lit it. I aged the filets overnight, and they sat patiently in their seasoning on the counter while the smell of potatoes baking filled the house. I was ready for my guest.

It struck me how foolish I was by thinking I could be content in isolation. Shoot, I was jumping with nerves and anticipation just to meet a neighbor. "You're acting like a pathetic loser, Ryan!" Geez, talking to myself and calling myself names. I guessed my self-directed reprimand was too accurate.

Waiting was driving me mad, but she wasn't due for another 15 minutes. I wondered what she looked like. Somehow, I was sure she was beautiful.

The sound of a car coming up the gravel drive made the butterflies in my stomach flutter. Her dark blue Jeep pulled up and my heart lept in anticipation as she stepped out of her car.

"Oh, my gosh," I exclaimed under my breath. I couldn't believe my eyes. The coincidence was just too... just too what? I couldn't describe it. A twinge of fear gripped me when I realized she may stumble upon my dating app profile, because she matched my description of the perfect woman down to the last detail. If she found it before I could control the narrative, the consequences could ruin any chance I had with her. I wanted her to see it someday, but her reaction could go in a lot of different directions.

"Stop panicking, Ryan," I whispered to myself. "You're overthinking this."

My knees and legs didn't seem to want to function, but I fought for composure as I stepped onto the porch. "Sandy, welcome!"

She quickly approached with a smile that lit up her whole face. "Ryan! Wow, it's great to finally meet Velcro's friend."

I went to shake her hand, but she pulled me into a hug before I could react. "Sorry," she said as she shyly backed away. "I'm a hugger. I... I didn't mean..."

"Great," I quickly asserted. "Hugs are always welcomed, and I think Velcro agrees." I bent over to pet the sweet little thing rubbing up against my leg.

She seemed a little embarrassed and quickly changed the subject. "Oh, let me get dessert from the back of my Jeep. I hope you like cheesecake. It seemed fitting for a steak dinner."

"One of my favorites."

Our slightly uncomfortable start melted into the past as we strolled through my home. Her eyes took in everything when I gave her a quick tour. My eyes, however, couldn't focus on anything but her.

We made the usual small talk while I grilled the steaks and the corn on the cob. Sandy helped by preparing salad and rescuing the potatoes from the oven.

We settled down to enjoy the feast and I bowed my head to offer silent thanks when Sandy interrupted me. "Oh, if you're gonna say a blessing, please do it out loud so I can join." I felt my heart leap with joy when she grabbed my hands from across the table while I prayed.

Blessing finished and plates loaded, I basked in the growing comfort we shared. It was time to get to know more about her.

"Sandy, I'm sorry Tad couldn't be here." Actually, I was glad he wasn't here. So, I lied. I saw her smile fade a bit and her fingers started tapping against her drink.

"Uh... about that... I don't really have a partner living with me. I was, well, a bit nervous meeting a stranger in his home without some, you know, threat of consequences."

I couldn't help but laugh, and that seemed to put her at ease. "Were you afraid I was an ax murderer or something?"

"Well, I didn't know for sure," she said with a snicker.

"So, what made you decide I was safe and you could confess to being alone?"

She turned her head and the corner of her mouth formed the cutest mischievous smile. "What makes you believe I think you're safe?"

Catching her meaning, I felt my face flush with embarrassment. "I... well... I mean... uh..."

"I'm sorry, Ryan. I've embarrassed you. I didn't mean to come off so flirty. Oh... maybe I did... I just..."

"Don't apologize. Actually, I thought it was cute."

"Oh, okay. Good. It's just, well, any man that can cook this well must be okay. Plus, Velcro is a good judge of character and I trust her instincts."

"She certainly has made my workdays more enjoyable."

She looked at me and snickered. "I can't believe you thought Velcro was a boy."

"Give me a break," I exclaimed with a laugh. "I thought it would be impolite to check out her equipment."

She almost did a spit-take. "Don't make me laugh with my mouth full!"

I could listen to her beautiful laugh all night. She regained control after a moment. "You are a true gentleman, and I guess I can see your point. Not to change the subject, but I assume you work from home. What kind of work do you do?"

"I'm a technical writer. I work freelance, so I've always worked from home. How about you?"

"Believe it or not, I'm a freelance writer too. I do all the creative content and blogs for a conservative website, and I do a lot of editing for a publisher. I've also started writing some historical fiction, mostly romance."

"Two writers, living alone next door to each other in the woods. What are the chances?"

"Yeah, I know. So, Mr. Ryan--I'm sorry, I don't know your last name."

"Sorry. It's Cunningham. And you are Sandy..."

"Adams. So, Mr. Cunningham. What brings a young, handsome professional like yourself to live alone in the woods?"

"It's a long story, but the short version is that I was escaping a horrible marriage, and I wanted to be alone. Then, the pandemic kinda extended my isolation, and now I think this is where I want to stay. It's so beautiful and peaceful up here."

"Do you have friends or family nearby?"

"No. My family is gone, and the friends I had where we lived were really her friends. Once the pandemic is over, I guess I'll find new friends around here."

She raised her hand as if she were volunteering. "You have one, so that's a start."

"What about you, Miss Adams? Why would a beautiful, young energetic woman hide in the Pocono Mountains?"

Her expression changed and I feared I upset her. "It's a long story, too. Let's just say that there was a Tad. He's in prison now for a bar fight and I took the opportunity to disappear, hoping to God he never finds me when he gets out."

"Oh, damn. I'm sorry and I didn't... did he..."

Knowing where my question was headed, she interrupted. "Yeah. He had a temper he couldn't control, especially if he was drinking. He..."

"Abused you?"

She nodded as a few tears fell. I went to her, picked up a spare napkin, and dabbed the tears away. "I'm sorry. I should learn to mind my own business."

She grabbed me into a hug and buried her face in my chest. "Don't be sorry. Somehow, telling you felt right. I'm okay, so let's not waste this excellent meal."

I sat and we resumed our dinner. We were silent for a moment while what she told me ate at my gut.

She looked at me with concern written all over her face. "Ryan, are you okay?"

"Yeah... well... I don't know. It's just, guys like that, you know, inhuman bullies just really piss me off."

I was hoping she couldn't read my thoughts. I'm not a violent guy, but I can't help feeling that I'd like to grab my baseball bat and meet Tad in a dark alley. The moments of silence and my damn transparency must have given me away.

"Ryan, don't let him darken our evening. He's rotting in jail for now, so I'm sure Bubba is teaching him some hard lessons. Let's just enjoy each other's company, starting with you letting me help clear the table."