Give & Take Among Friends Ch. 06

Story Info
Exploring the new dynamics.
3k words
4.03
5.7k
4

Part 6 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/21/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The weekend arrived. In keeping with our usual pattern, we were due to meet up with our good friends, at their house this time since they were over at ours the previous weekend, during which the big shakeup had taken place.

Eli had called Thursday, after getting back from his tour of duty at the university, and begged off tennis since he had some things to catch up on, but asked if we were still on for the weekend. I told him we were planning on it.

"How's it going?" he asked, probably curious how we were adopting to the new dynamics, for which he was largely responsible.

"Pretty good," I replied, noncommittally. I was not used to feeling awkward talking to my best friend. "I'm sure we'll have some things to talk about Saturday."

Driving over there around dinnertime, Lila seemed pensive. I asked her if she was okay. She nodded, lips tight. Seasonal change was in the air and she was dressed in tight jeans with a white sweater, which provided a contrast to her long, dark hair. As always, she looked stunningly beautiful.

"Hi, you're just in time for the first course," Rachel exclaimed with a wide smile, opening the door for us. She also looked fine, in a frilly blouse and what my mother called "pedal pushers," which showed her shapely calves and ankles. The dining room table was set and Eli was ladling out soup into bowls. A good red wine was already in the glasses.

As we sat down, Eli and Lila's eyes met. He looked at her appreciatively and with ease, as one would toward a recent lover. She smiled, not warmly but not cool either. When Eli looked at me, I felt he was less comfortable, trying to divine my thoughts. The three of us had not uttered a word.

Rachel, in contrast, was her usual ebullient self. She had hugged Lila when we came in the door, put her arm on my shoulder and steered us toward our seats. She began chatting about her gardening and other commonplace themes as if this day was no different from any in the past. Actually, maybe she was chatting too much. Was this her way of covering up nerves?

Eli raised his glass, and made a toast.

"They say that friends cannot also be lovers, that it's a dangerous mix. However, it is also said that a relationship is stronger when you're best friends first and a couple second. Of course, that was meant to apply to just one traditional relationship. When we involve more than one friend and two couples in the mix, it may change the dynamics, but challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. Here's to both love and friendship."

"That is absolutely beautiful," Lila said. I was also impressed. Rachel smiled.

"Did you compose that?" Lila asked.

Eli nodded. "But I did have a backup in case it fell flat: 'Love is the answer, but while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions.' That's by Woody Allen."

We all laughed. That was the Eli we knew.

"Too many words. Soup's getting cold," Rachel said.

The soup was followed by one of Rachel's delicious vegetarian meals, washed down with more wine. Conversation flowed more easily, a cornucopia of good cheer. We were all still friends. Following dessert, Eli suggested, "Why don't the ladies retire to the drawing room for cigars while this schmuck and I tackle the dishes?"

Lila and Rachel seated themselves on the small couch and were soon smiling and laughing over something. Eli washed dishes while I dried. We talked about major prospects in the U.S. Open at Flushing Meadows and some local political issues before a lapse in conversation.

"That really was a nice toast," I told him.

"I'm glad you're not pissed at me," he replied.

"Who says I'm not," I responded. He looked serious for a moment before I smiled and added, "No, I'm not pissed. You gave me fair warning you were going to poach. I have only myself to blame for being so overconfident -- I thought my serve was strong and my partner could handle your best shot."

"Well, it's still early in the match," he said. "and you and I never worried too much about score. If it's close and the points well-played, we both win, or it may be more correct to say we all win since we're really playing doubles. Hey, maybe we should get them out on the court with us tomorrow."

"Sounds good to me," I said, as a pungent aroma drifted over from where Lila and Rachel were sitting. They had lit a pipe. We finished the dishes and went over to join them. I sat down between the girls while Eli put on some music. When he came back, we all moved to make room for him. Rachel was on one end of the couch, then me, Lila and Eli on the other end. It was a tight fit, but made it easy to pass the pipe containing the remainder of what Lila had brought back from California.

It did not take long for the conversation to become punctuated with silly remarks and broken trains of thought, resulting in amused laughter. We did manage to firm up the doubles match for the next afternoon, and then went on to other subjects. At one point, while I recounted some incident at work that was nowhere near as funny then as it now seemed, I noticed that Eli's palm was resting on Lila's thigh and Rachel's arm was around my shoulder. Lila's head was resting on the back of the couch, her feet elevated on the coffee table in front of it. She spoke.

"There are a couple of things I've been wondering about," she said, dreamily. "One of them you touched on a little while ago. "Where does friendship end and love begin, and can they co-exist without ruining a relationship?"

"That's where the challenge comes in," Eli said.

"I hope we're up to the challenge," she said, looking thoughtful. "Danny and I have been discussing things, and have come to a few conclusions and a few questions. One of the conclusions is that we feel strongly involved with you guys." She paused, laughing. "We sure are." She could not stop laughing, and it got the rest of us going too. Finally, she composed herself.

"We do love you," she said, looking first at Eli and then past me at Rachel. "But for love to last, there has to be honesty. Danny wasn't completely forthcoming with me about the chain of events leading up to last weekend, at least not at first." She looked at me. "And I think he's still a little uncertain about things in his own mind." She looked at Rachel. "Was he very difficult to get into bed?"

For once, Rachel did not have a quick answer. Her jaw started to move, and stopped. "I wouldn't say he pushed it," she said at last. "In fact, he seemed like he was in a trance."

"Did the view through the vent help?"

"I don't know if it helped or hurt," Rachel said, a little surprised at the question.

"How was he the week before? In a trance then too, or more proactive?"

It was one of the few times I had seen Rachel flustered. After a moment, she replied, "He was great, but I don't..."

Lila had turned toward Eli. "What went down a couple of weeks ago, before you left for the university? What did you ask Dan to do?"

Eli held her gaze, then looked briefly at me and Rachel. "I asked him to visit Rachel while I was gone, check how she was doing, and... have sex with her if she needed it."

"Was that all your idea?"

"No, it was mine too," Rachel said, before Eli could answer. Lila and I both looked at her in surprise. True, we had considered the possibility, but the confirmation came so easily. Rachel was even smiling. "Or maybe I should say that I kicked it off. I told Eli that I needed someone male around me while he was away, and it would be tough to wait a week for him to get back. Gardening and crafts can take a girl only so far. He said he'd see what he could do to hook me up with 'someone acceptable,' as he put it."

"How many times before that did Dan help you?" Lila asked. That question bothered me. Despite my sworn confession, she still doubted my honesty -- was still combing for inconsistencies.

"That was the first," Rachel replied, with a puzzled glance at me. "Really. He was Super Eagle Scout before that."

"When you and Eli talked over this matter, did I enter into the equation at all?" Lila asked.

"How do you mean?" Rachel asked. "It's not like we went behind your back. I'd already told you more than once I had the hots for your boyfriend, and when this opportunity came up you weren't even around to consult -- you were out in California fraternizing with horny pushers. Eli and I just... facilitated things. It seemed like the right time."

"I wasn't exactly accusing you of going behind my back," Lila said, "although you certainly did wait for a convenient time to 'facilitate,' didn't you." Rachel started to say something, but Lila waved her off, and went on. "Anyway, that isn't what I was referring to. I want to know how I fit into this plan. Was it a quid pro quo type of thing? Was I Eli's reward because he was such a good sport sharing you with Dan?"

"If so, it was a damn good reward," Eli said, grinning.

She looked at him, not smiling. "Did Dan offer me to you in return? An even-Steven swap?" Another question that hurt.

"No way," Eli responded, smile fading to an incredulous look. "If anything, when I told him I'd like to return the favor he did me by occupying Rachel, he told me not to waste my time, that it wasn't your thing."

"You can lay this one on me too," Rachel said. "I've told Eli more than once that if he wants you he should go for it. If you want to lay some blame, here I am. But you're not Miss Innocence. When you and I have talked about these hot guys, you admitted that Eli turned you on too. There was no deal to swap partners. There didn't have to be -- this was something mutually appealing. Also mutually beneficial, I think."

It was time for me to hop into this discussion. "Well, you guys did have your game plan figured out pretty well. After spending time with you, Rachel, I sure didn't have any high ground to stand on to fend off a move on Lila by Eli. But even so, it only worked because I love this woman," I said, squeezing Lila's arm. "I told her I respect her rights to explore and make her own decisions." I paused, adding, "But I wouldn't have been so open-minded if I didn't love both you guys, and trust you to treat her right."

"I'm not a touchy-feely guy," Eli said, "but I return the sentiment for both of you."

"Goes for me too," Rachel said, "and I do like to touchy-feel," she said with a laugh, gripping my arm with one hand while reaching across me to take Lila's hand with the other.

"I do appreciate the honesty," Lila said, with a smile. "Now it's ground rules time, and they are the same ones that Dan and I agreed on for ourselves. Honesty is the key word. We all share the way we feel, the desires we have, the things we do and want to do, so there are no negative surprises."

"Do I have to call you every time I want to ball Danny?" Rachel asked.

"Should I keep a list of every co-ed I tutor?" said Eli. "Should I confess every time I wake up with a hard-on from dreaming of you?" A mock look of horror came on his face. "Do I have to admit it if the erection was from dreaming of someone else?"

Lila laughed, and found it difficult to stop. "Well, I can accept dreams, but no secret peep shows like Danny and Rachel are into," she managed to gasp, and we all convulsed in laughter.

"I'll smoke to that," Rachel said, lighting the pipe again. We all sort of laid back and got into the wacky weed state of mind. I was studying a spider spinning its web between the wall and kitchen light pull cord, marveling at its engineering skill but its poor choice of a construction site, when Eli broke the spell.

"According to the new rules, I have a confession to make," he said. "There's nothing else in my head right now except the thought of getting it on with this beautiful woman." He looked at Lila.

"Wow," she replied, "I have to confess that bothers me." Eli seemed taken aback. Lila added, "It bothers me in a good sort of way." She grinned at him, stroking his cheek, then turned to look toward me, a trace of a question in her expression.

I had a touch of that sinking feeling I had when observing her with Eli through the vent. But I had no wiggle room in the matter.

"The ground rules have been set," I said, kissing her. "It's a level playing field."

Rachel was squeezing my arm. "As the chief facilitator, I say go for it. I'm sure I can entertain this guy while you two resolve Eli's problem."

"It's time to rise to the challenge," Eli said, standing, and holding out his hand to Lila. "To make life interesting and meaningful." She took his hand and rose from the couch. "I don't think you've ever seen the rest of this house, have you?" Eli asked, affecting a tour guide tone and leading her toward the hall off the parlor. "Let me show you the master bedroom." She turned to look at me, again the trace of a question with a wistful smile, but continued following him.

They were no sooner out of sight than Rachel practically knocked my front teeth out with her own, as she planted her mouth firmly on mine. I could feel her tongue probing wildly as she wrapped both hands around the back of my head. My tongue responded, as much in defense as anything else. Her boobs pressed against my chest. One part of my brain was telling me that I should be obsessed with what Lila was about to get into with Eli, while another was allowing me to become aroused. I encircled Rachel's waist with both arms as we held the kiss. When we broke for air, she brushed some strands of hair back into place, smiling triumphantly at me.

"Thank God," she whispered. "Lila had me worried there for a while."

"She wanted to be sure she wasn't set up," I said. "She was probing you guys to see if there were any discrepancies between my version of this story and your own."

"It seems like you did a pretty good job of bringing her up to speed, and judging by how fast she went off with Eli she's comfortable with things, even enthusiastic."

I had to agree.

Rachel reached down and felt my groin. She pressed her forehead against mine. "Feels like you're not lacking in enthusiasm either," she said, with her seductress smile. "Hey, how about a tour of the house -- I don't think you've ever seen our guest bedroom." She rose and held out her hand to me. She did look so sexy and desirable.

It felt a little strange, making love with Eli's woman behind the closed door of the guest bedroom, knowing Eli was doing the same with mine behind the closed door of the master bedroom at the other end of the hall. Once in a while, I thought I could hear muffled voices and unintelligible exclamations, maybe the rhythmic creaking of a bed, but in all candor Rachel and I were making so much noise of our own that Eli and Lila would have had to be on speakers for us to hear them. Toward the end of experimentation in several postures, we finished in zealous missionary style, Rachel with her legs in the air, knees bent, drumming my butt cheeks with her heels, as Lila often did. We came just moments apart. I stayed in her a while, catching my breath and enjoying the afterglow, then withdrew and lay down on my back beside her.

She reached for a tissue from the box on a night table and held it to her pussy to collect my outflow of semen, handing me another tissue to wipe love juices from my softening erection. We showered together, which would have been a turn-on if we were at the start of the activity rather than the end, then dressed and went back to the parlor. Lila and Eli were not to be seen yet, but before long I could hear water running from the direction of the master bath, and figured another shower was in progress.

Rachel and I replenished our wine glasses and stretched out comfortably on the couch, making small talk. Before long our significant others reappeared, Eli just in boxer shorts and T-shirt, not the jeans and collared shirt he had on when the evening started. He appeared very relaxed and at ease, Lila almost as much so. They sat down in separate chairs the other side of the coffee table. We all chatted a short while, but the excitement had gone out of the evening. Even Rachel appeared to be getting weary. Lila and I looked at each other, and I suggested we call it a night. She agreed.

"Tennis tomorrow, 1 p.m.," Eli reminded us, as we left.

On the drive back home, Lila snuggled against me sleepily, her hand on my knee. We did not say much, both seeming lost in thought.

"Life is so interesting," she said sleepily, as we snuggled in bed.