Gravity Never Suited Me

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In less than an hour, they strap into their harnesses in the cockpit. Ryan begins deceleration maneuvers, and shortly, the Jupiter Orbital Station comes into view on the external cameras. Manual control isn't needed at all for the process of docking, and Ryan taxis into position, accelerating them to match the spin of the massive ring. They wait their turns as other ships around them come and go, connecting to the station's many docking bays. When their turn comes, Ryan docks quickly and efficiently.

Now attached to the great rings, they experience the centripetal force of the station's spin, imitating Earth's gravity with 1G of constant acceleration. As the docking process completes with a loud clunk, Zoe feels gravity for the first time in months. Slowly, she unsnaps her harness. Her limbs feel like deadweights. Behind her, Riley is already out of her seat, standing on the back wall of the cockpit and stretching.

"Oh shit," Riley exclaims. "I feel like I've gained thirty kilos." Zoe struggles to lean forward and stand up, but fails. She is pinned helplessly to her seat.

"Riley." Zoe says. "I need help. Like, more than you can give me." Riley slowly and awkwardly walks to her side.

"Oooooh no. I knew you'd have it worse than me, adjusting to gravity. You never exercised that much." She chides.

"And I was out there longer." Zoe reminds her. "Besides, you gave me plenty of exercise." She winks. Riley rolls her eyes. In the background, a monotone voice begins to play over Ryan's speakers.

Welcome to the Jupiter Orbital station. If it's your first time, please contact the station Administrator's Office about paying for your docking bay. If you require assistance exiting your craft, please contact -

"Dial that number for me, Ryan." Zoe calls. "Walking will be hard enough. The ladder is just not going to happen."

Within two days, Riley has completely recovered, and Zoe is beginning to take halting steps with a cane. She spends most of her time on her ship in isolation, or on the phones with contractors discussing repairs. Riley has a cousin on the station, and so goes to spend time with them. It is a full three more days before Riley meets up with Zoe again. They find a fast food place on the interior of the ring in a shopping mall, and sit down for lunch.

"You're barely using the cane." Riley observes. Zoe nods, speaking around a mouthful of food.

"Yep. I was thinking as soon as I'm cleared by medical, I'm gonna head out again. Gravity has never suited me."

"Yeah, um, me too." Riley replies. "My parents are paying for my ticket back to Earth. And I've got to talk to Carla and Misha's families..." She pauses quietly. There is a lull in conversation, and Zoe lays her sandwich down. Neither of them makes eye contact.

"Anyway, I wanted to say thanks again. I owe you my life." Riley says. Zoe coughs nervously.

"I'm really glad I found you." Her eyes begin to tear up. "It was the best... best few months of my life."

"Me too." Riley says. They are both silent again. Zoe wipes a tear away as it falls down her cheek.

"Are we saying goodbye at the end of lunch?" she asks, fighting back more tears. Riley shakes her head, grabbing Zoe's hands.

"My parents offered to pay for a ship with artificial gravity." She says. "It's a lot more expensive. I convinced them to, I mean if you're okay with it, just pay your repairs, and then you could, if you want to, you could take me home." She looks at Zoe with big, brown, hopeful eyes. Zoe can't help but smile, relief flooding through her body.

"That's the best deal I can think of." She looks up, winking. "Ryan gets fixed up, and I get to spend more time with the most beautiful woman I've ever met."

Riley steps around the booth, sitting down next to Zoe.

"Maybe you can meet my parents when we get to Earth." She suggests.

"Don't ruin the moment." Says Zoe. They embrace tightly, happy crying. They hold each other for a long time.

"I want to stay with you." Riley admits.

"I was so upset you might leave. I want to stay together."

And they did.

The End

*****

Glossary of Terms

A.I.

: short for Artificial Intelligence. In this case a digital assistant, similar to Amazon's 'Alexa'

Cupola

: a rounded vault forming a roof or a ceiling, sometimes transparent to allow light through, a glass "bubble"

G as in "1G" or "9G"

: One g is the force per unit mass due to gravity at the Earth's surface and is the standard gravity defined as 9.8 metres per second squared. 1G is equivalent to standing still on Earth. 9G is equivalent to an abrupt turn in fast-moving jet aircraft.

G.U.I. / U.I. or Graphic User Interface

: a form of user interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices through graphical icons

Microgravity, slang "0G"

: very weak gravity, as in an orbiting spacecraft.

RCS or Reactionary Control system

: a spacecraft system that uses thrusters to provide attitude control, directional changes, and sometimes propulsion.

Yoke

: a yoke, alternatively known as a control wheel or a control column, is a device used for piloting some fixed-wing aircraft.