Hope, Charity & Faith Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He must've done something; why else would they shoot him like that?"

Two rotund women were conversing as I glanced up realizing I was standing on the side of a corner liquor store. The foreign owners were standing on its stoop watching the proceedings as more cops arrived.

"I seen that guy around, he's a fucking wino." I had this queasy feeling in my gut as I went back a few steps looking over at the body. The victim's feet were still visible to pedestrians as I inched closer affording myself a better look.

A familiar pair of work boots were sticking out as one patrol office lifted the sheet affording me a brief glance of the dead man underneath.

I wasn't prepared for the boyish looking face that would've contrasted with the booming voice I'd heard earlier. His features were twisted almost a parody of itself. A five o'clock shadow of scraggly, greying hair covered his cheeks and chin in uneven feral tufts. What was left of his face was twisted into a scowling grimace of yellowed, smokers teeth.

"I never liked that nigga anyway." Somebody commented behind me.

The incident gave agency to my actions as I hurried back towards Charmaine's apartment building desperate to tell her the good news. Providence had stepped in to even the scales and this was a chance for the girl to breathe. Halfway down the street I noticed a few police cruisers cordoning off the end of the block. Road flares were placed just a few feet away from Charmaine's rear facing room.

She'd be able to see things from her window. I didn't have her number as everything occurred on the fly. It was dusk as I peered into the alley behind her house finding a middle aged woman standing there. I was ten feet away looking at her back. She was thick, bottom heavy with some skin tight mom jeans on, a pea green t-shirt and beige bandana tied around her head.

"Pack a bag, we're visiting your aunt Minnie; no, you ain't going to no school tomorrow. Huh, did you fucking hear what I'm saying to you, Charmaine?!! Get your shit together, I want you back here in five minutes-GET IT DONE!!" She hung up, dialing up another person immediately.

"Hey, yall on the road already; yeah-Mississippi in two days Reggie, thanks." I glanced over finding a beat up orange hatchback waiting, engine running. She hung up unexpectedly turning in my direction.

"Hey." Charmaine's mother was similar, eyes covered in large butterfly shades, cigarette in mouth. She forced a smile as I walked by dodging a bullet.

I got home a little after eight in the evening and took a really long shower.

...to be continued.

************************************************