I'm Done

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Dammit! This sucks so fucking bad! I'm so sorry Dan. Nobody deserves to be treated this way, but there is nothing I can do that will change any of it. If you insist, I will fight for a while, but it won't be long before they come after me too, and let's not forget about Bella. It looks to me like her best friend fucked her over as much as she did you.

"Speaking of Bella, is Marcy telling the whole story?"

I told her about our friendship and how I had told Bella I couldn't see her again, and my lawyer lowered her head, "Damn, that's too bad. She sounds like someone that would be good for you."

"I'm sure she would be, but eventually she would leave too. There's something about me that isn't enough. It might take her a few years to figure that out, but she would eventually. No, I'm destined to be alone. Where do I sign?"

I signed and she took the contract, "I'll get this couriered over to them in the morning. I'll get you the list of items Marcy wants as soon as they give it to me.

"Dan, you need to believe that this wasn't your fault. She did what she did and it was a purely selfish act. She did what she wanted to do, not because of you, but because it was what she wanted and she didn't care who got hurt."

"Yeh, sure thing."

I got the list of stuff Marcy wanted the next day. None of it had much monetary value. It was all stuff that reminded her of happy times in her life. None of it included our marriage. No pictures of us, or me. Nothing that would indicate that I had ever been a part of her life. I gathered it all up, wrapped it in towels, and beat it into powder with a ten-pound sledgehammer. I beat it until my clothes were soaked with sweat and my arms couldn't hold up the hammer. I woke up from my drunken rage, my cheek on the concrete floor and the nearly shredded towel full of the shards right in front of my eyes. The towel was a metaphor for my life. What was once precious and joyful was now nothing but broken shards. Nothing was left except trash and lost potential. I shook the shards into a box and shipped it to her.

~~~~~{}~~~~~

A month later I sold the house and moved out of state. I bought a small two-bedroom place in my new city and settled into a lifetime of bachelorhood. My attitude towards women was avoidance. I wasn't about to be tempted into another relationship with a woman and men held no sexual attraction to me. I settled into a life of celibacy. I still masturbated, but only to keep my sanity, and then my only stimulus was cheap porn with transparent plots and horrible actors. I wanted to see the parts and the act to stimulate myself, but the last thing I wanted was to detect any real emotion. I didn't need the reminder of what I was incapable of having and keeping.

I had decided when I left my former city to start over career-wise as well. I couldn't continue to work in an office where I had to interact with women every day. I gave up my engineering career and started my own one-man handyman company. Anything a guy working alone could do to a house I tackled. I learned a lot of the skills I needed early in life. When I was young I helped my dad with remodeling projects. He wasn't all that skilled at it and by the time I was a teenager I was pretty much working on my own. If I didn't know how to do it yet, I was more than capable of learning.

Word got around after a year or so and I made a reasonable living at it. My neighbors knew that if they had an emergency I wouldn't discuss money. You help your neighbors because it's the right thing to do. Of course, that applied in times of need. If my next-door neighbor wanted a new entertainment center built, it was going to cost him.

The hardest part was talking to the woman of the house. I believe in customer service and I was always polite and as nice as possible. Nearly all the women I met were married and that helped me be comfortable around them. They were already spoken for so I knew there was no risk of any emotional stuff. Even the married ones would flirt though. After I pretended not to notice a few times they always stopped. Looking back on it, I'm sure most, if not all, of them were just having a little fun and never intended for it to go further than a bit of innuendo. At the time I wasn't about to take the risk.

I met Penny by disaster. It was early afternoon and I had finished a job early. I'd come home, cleaned up, and thrown on some shorts in preparation for some television time. Pounding on my front door and high-pitched yells of 'Help!' brought me running to the door. I opened the door and a soaking wet woman was standing there looking panic-stricken, "Please help. Something broke under the sink and my kitchen is flooding!"

I motioned for her to go and I ran after her. She ran to the house next door and I followed her in and ran to the kitchen. Water was pouring out of the sink base cabinet. I yanked the door open and got a face full before spotting the shutoff valve. I gave it a twist and shut the water off. When I looked up her blue eyes were staring at me with relief. She was drenched. Her hair was still dripping, her t-shirt was so wet it was practically transparent and her shorts were soaked through, revealing the tiny thong she wore.

My first instinct was to laugh and I did, "God, we look like a couple of drowned rats."

She laughed along with me, as much in relief as in humor. She had a wonderful laugh and that's when I realized my new neighbor was beautiful. Her body was as perfect as I had ever seen. Her breasts were pert and her nipples stuck out proudly. I could even see that she kept things well-trimmed down south. I froze.

Her laugh faded to silence as she studied my face. She looked concerned, I guess. I really wasn't sure, but I had to get out of there for a minute, "I'll go get some stuff to help you clean up all this water. You, uh, might want to change into something drier."

I was on my feet and headed toward the door when her husband walked in, "What the fuck is going on here? Who the fuck are you and what are you doing with my wife?"

He looked pissed as hell, but instead of waiting for an answer he ignored me for the moment and grabbed his wife by both arms, "You fuckin around on me bitch?"

She cowered and he raised his hand. I grabbed his wrist, "Huh-uh. I won't let you hit her."

He tried to spin on me. I let him and used his own momentum to drive him to the wet floor, "You need to calm down. I'm not fooling around with her and she's not fooling around with me. The reason your face is wet is that the water line broke and I came to help. That's all it is."

I waited and held him in place until his breathing calmed, "I'll let you up if you can be reasonable."

He nodded and I stepped back as I let him go. He got to his feet and I wondered for a moment if I let him up too soon. His face was red with rage, "You're in your underwear and she's damn near naked. What was I supposed to think?"

I shook my head, "Look around you. Does this look like we were having fun? If I stick my head in that cabinet to see what the problem is are you going to behave?"

His shoulders dropped, "Yeh, fine. Take a look."

I had never wished for eyes in the back of my head more than I did at that moment. It didn't take long to find the problem, "Someone replaced the water line with some plastic tubing and hose clamps. The tubing wasn't designed to take the pressure and it split right up the side."

He knelt down and looked, "Oh yeah, I fixed that last week. The old line was dripping and I found that stuff in the basement. I figured it would work."

I shook my head, "You wouldn't be the first guy that didn't know how to work on plumbing. That's why there are professionals. I recommend you use one when you aren't absolutely sure you know what you're doing."

He snorted, "Those fucking guys just rip you off. There's always something more that needs doing and it always costs more than it should. They live a hell of a lot better than I do."

I looked him dead in the eye, "I'm one of those guys. I fix stuff like this for a living. The funny thing is I don't remember ever ripping anyone off and my house is right next door. You can see for yourself it isn't a mansion.

"I can fix this in five minutes. I'll be right back."

I left to get a supply hose and an adjustable wrench from my truck. I figured he needed a few minutes to get his head on right. I returned with the hose and within five minutes the water was back on. His response was priceless, "I suppose that's gonna cost me a hundred bucks for five minutes of work."

I was at the end of my patience with this asshole, "I don't charge neighbors when they have an emergency. If you call me in the middle of the night to fix your fuckup and it will cost you. What do you expect? I should work for nothing because you don't want to pay for the work to be done right? That hose costs money. My tools cost money. My time is worth something.

I don't know why I bothered, "Anyway, your water line is fixed." I stood and walked out the door. I had just dried off and put on some dry shorts when I heard the knock at my door. When I answered Penny was standing there, "Hi, I'm Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny. I wanted to thank you for helping me. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't been home."

She was so captivating I couldn't look at her. No, no, no, don't go there, "That's all right Penny. I was glad to help. I hope I didn't cause problems for you with your husband."

She paused, "Will you tell me your name?"

"Oh, sorry. I'm Dan. Uhm, listen, you better get that water cleaned up before it damages your floors. I'd be glad to help, but I don't think your husband would approve."

Her face turned red with embarrassment, "I'm sorry for how he acted. He has a temper and he's super jealous. He took off right after you left. He's in one of his moods so the soonest I expect to see him is after the bars close. Sometimes he's gone for a day or two."

I was stunned, "He just left you with the mess?"

She shrugged, "Yeh, he says that kind of stuff is women's work. I don't know how I'm going to clean all that water up before stuff gets ruined. He'll come unglued if that happens."

I knew I shouldn't, but dammit, she was desperate and she needed the help, "I'll help you. Come on."

I walked through the kitchen and out into the garage. I started handing her mops and a squeegee. When she got a good grip on them I piled a bunch of old towels on her arms. I grabbed a couple of buckets and some more towels and opened the garage door. I started to walk out and she just stood there, "Is there a problem Penny?"

"Uh-huh. I can't see."

I turned back to look at her and all I could see was a perfect set of legs, a cute little ass, three handles, and a pile of towels. Her head was hidden in there somewhere. I reached over and took a bunch off the stack and her blue eyes looked at me with humor. A beautiful smile lit her face and I couldn't help but chuckle. I added her stack to mine and we headed to her house. Two hours later the cleanup was complete. Fortunately, the kitchen floor was tiled and we caught the water before it got to the living room carpet.

I put the wet towels in the buckets and gathered the rest of my stuff. Penny helped me carry it all home. We walked into the garage and I closed the garage door without thinking. We dumped the towels by the washer and I escorted Penny through the house to the front door. She paused, then turned towards me. I could see that she intended to give me a friendly hug and I tripped over my own feet backing away from her.

She looked down at me as I lay embarrassed on the floor, "I can honestly say that I have never gotten a reaction like that when I tried to hug someone. Have I offended you?"

I didn't trust myself to speak and shook my head, "Is it a religious thing?"

Another head shake from me, "OK... Are you gay? Hate women? From another planet? What gives?"

I sat there for the longest five seconds of my life, "I'm not someone you should hug. You'll just end up disappointed."

I saw the look on her face change from curiosity to sympathy and that about undid me. I couldn't face her anymore and I started to get up. When I stood she was within inches of me and still had that pitying look on her face, "I don't know who she was, but there is no doubt in my mind that she fucked you over horribly."

I reached for the door. I needed her gone right now. She put her hand on my arm, "Dan, you've been wonderful to me and I would like to be your friend. Maybe one day you can talk to me about what she did to you. It's ok if you don't want to, but please know that I appreciate what you've done for me and if I can return the favor I will do it gladly."

Her hand reached up and settled on my cheek, "I promise that I will never hurt you. You're safe with me. I'm married and I don't cheat so, you can treat me like any other friend. We just won't be using the same restrooms."

During that late spring, she found some way to speak to me nearly every day, and I gradually spoke back. It was Saturday and she was always out working in the yard at some point. I didn't see her all day and was disappointed. That was the first time I let myself feel emotion for a woman since Marcy.

I had a bad feeling, and the feeling persisted even after I told myself I was blowing things out of proportion. Sitting on the couch in the living room was making me crazy. I left the outside lights off and went out on my back deck. I sat in the chair closest to Penny's house and listened. I wanted to hear her voice. I knew if I heard her voice the feeling would pass and things would be fine.

He must have followed her from the front of the house to their bedroom because I could hear his voice getting louder. The window lit up in the room closest to where I was sitting. I suspected that it was their bedroom, but I didn't know. I couldn't make out his sentences, but I could clearly hear the rage in his voice. I heard that unmistakable sound of a fist hitting flesh followed by Penny's scream and I was on my feet and running across the yard like a shot.

Our little neighborhood in our little town is a wonderful place to raise kids. Crime is rare and usually timid by big city standards. Most of my neighbors don't bother to lock their doors unless they're leaving for vacation. I don't lock my house. My tools are locked in my truck or in cabinets in my garage. Outside of a high-end audio system, there's not much worth stealing.

I hopped onto Penny's deck and was very thankful that Penny's views on locked doors matched my own. I needed stealth and speed and her unlocked back door facilitated that. I didn't want him to know I was coming. I still had hope that I was misreading things. If that were the case I would prefer to find out, then sneak my ass back out of their house before I got caught.

I also didn't want him to know I was coming especially if my fears were correct. I didn't want him waiting in ambush when I entered the room. Getting myself shot or clubbed in the head would only be good for getting my picture taken next to Penny while they drew the chalk outlines around us. I was edging my way down the hall toward the bedroom door ten feet away when I heard Penny start to choke. Speed was the only thing that mattered now.

He never knew I was there. One moment he was choking the life out of his battered wife and the next he was out on the floor while I shook my bruised hand. I knelt down and punched him again. Now that he was down I fully intended to keep him there. If he moved again, I'd hit him again. Penny was gagging and crying. She'd been beaten badly and was in obvious pain, but she was breathing. I dialed 911 and got the authorities on their way, then I knelt on the floor next to Penny. I kept an eye on her asshole husband while I gently stroked her hair, "Your safe now Penny. I promise I'll protect you."

Her hand came up and tried to grip mine. I couldn't hold back the tears of rage when her dislocated fingers wouldn't cooperate. I told the 911 operator to have the cops come in the back door. The last thing I was going to do was leave her alone while I opened the front door.

Soon enough the cops arrived and moments after that Penny's husband and I were in cuffs. I must have whacked him pretty good because he was really groggy. He was in his own little world and had no idea two cops were watching him and listening to every word he said. The things he said he was going to do to Penny had me shaking with rage.

The cops looked at each other, then looked at me, "Are you going to be a problem? You look pretty pissed off and I'm not taking off the cuffs until you calm down."

Penny struggled to raise up on the bed, "Let him go. He saved me so leave him alone."

"Penny! Penny, look at me." Her eyes slowly focused on me, "It's going to be ok. I need you to go to the hospital and get treated. The police need me for a while, but I promise you I will come to the hospital as soon as I possibly can. Please don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

I turned to the cops, "Where's that ambulance?"

~~~~~{}~~~~~

Penny had a death grip on my hand with her good one and wouldn't let go until they lifted her into the ambulance. I watched them drive away with her and walked over to one of the cops, "You need a statement from me and I need to get to the hospital. How can we make those things happen?"

It turns out, not well. They wanted me at the station for the statement and the better part of three hours later they 'released' me. I finally arrived at the hospital, but they wouldn't tell me anything about her condition. I sat in the waiting room for an hour before I realized that I wasn't going to get anywhere that way. I wondered if Penny had family nearby. I left the hospital and went home. I went out my back door and in through hers and went to the kitchen. I needed to find her purse.

I found it easily enough, pulled out her wallet, and apologized in my head for violating her privacy. Her wallet had one of those plastic picture-sleeve things. The picture of a generic family that came with the wallet was the only one in it. I pulled out her cell phone and was shocked to find that it wasn't pass-coded. I checked her contacts. There were two. One for her husband and one for me.

It's like he's all she has. Well, and me I guess. I put her stuff back into her purse and took it with me to the hospital. I figured she would need her insurance cards and ID. I talked to the charge nurse and explained the situation. I knew she couldn't tell me anything, but I asked her to let Penny know I was there and I gave her Penny's purse. Penny was in intensive care and I wasn't allowed in. I went to the waiting room and found a seat. Outside of a trip home to shower and grab some takeout, that's where I stayed for three days.

I don't know what Penny told them about me, but when they came and got me they took me right to her and updated me on her condition along the way. He had hurt her badly and she was going to be recovering for a while. They wanted to know whom to contact for her care and I told them that would be me. Who else was there? She didn't deserve what happened to her and she need help to recover from it. I'd be a pretty shitty friend if I walked away now. I'm not sure when I admitted to myself that she was my friend, but it was almost certainly during that time. It was a huge milestone and I absolutely refused to think about it.

The days went by and I got her settled at home. I took the back off the recliner so I could move the heavy ass thing and relocated it to her bedroom. That's where I slept for at least a month. I talked to the police and asked them for a heads-up when her husband was released. Penny had managed to get a restraining order, but it is my experience that crazy men don't pay a lot of attention to those. I made sure I had my Glock on me at all times. Penny pretended that she didn't see it.