Instant Photo

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Garrett's gonna need a separate cabin just for your all's luggage!" announced Bryan.

"Shut up!" both women yelled simultaneously. Bryan figured that this was his welcome to married life.

"Jeez, how big is this ranch?" asked Sarah.

"He's got about 9000 acres give or take that he owns and he leases another few thousand from the state for cattle ranges," explained Bryan.

"Wow, that's huge!" said Sarah.

"It's about average for this part of the state," replied Bryan. "Gives him plenty of elbow room I suppose."

"I can't even picture how big that must be," said Sarah. "He owns all of this?"

"Sure does," said Bryan. "He's a self made cowboy! Made his money raising cattle. He doesn't keep as many head as he used to. Guess it's more like a hobby to him now. He owns all this outright!"

Sarah just stared out the window. The rolling hills went on as far as the eye could see. A little creek meandered next to the road. At one point she looked up to catch an elk drinking in the cool clear water.

"My God, it's beautiful out here!" said Sarah.

They continued up the drive until they came to a group of buildings, including a large residence. They pulled up to the guest quarters. "When we landed, I phoned Garrett. He told me when we make it in to just make ourselves at home in the guest house. When we're ready we're supposed to meet him down at the barn. He'll introduce us to our horses."

"Oh...How fun!" exclaimed Liz.

"So what exactly is the plan?" asked Sarah.

"We're going on a 3 day, 2 night horseback riding and camping trip," said Bryan. "The first night will be at a rustic off-grid cabin and the second night we'll be in tents. It should be fun!"

"Really? We're riding horses for three days? My butt hurts already," complained Sarah.

"It's not that far," explained Bryan. "I've been on this trip before. We'll have plenty of time at each spot. It's not like we will be riding for hours on end."

"How are the horses going to carry all of our luggage?" asked Sarah.

"Yeah...about that..." Bryan smirked. "There will be a couple of saddlebags and one other duffle that we'll have access to each. You'll need to pare down your needs to fit into those bags. It's all that the horses will be able to carry."

"Shit!" exclaimed Sarah. "I need choices! How am I supposed to look my best without all my luggage?"

"I don't think the bears will care what you look like!" teased Bryan.

"Bears! Oh my God! What have you roped me into?" complained Sarah.

"Oh, stop it you two!" said Liz. "We're here to have fun. Quit 'yer belly achin'"

"Oh God! You too Liz? I can't believe you talked me into this!" shouted Sarah.

"Let's get settled," said Bryan. "You'll probably want to dress for a quick ride today. We'll meet out here in the living room when you're ready to roll."

Sarah settled into one of the guest bedrooms. It had an attached deck. She pulled open the curtains to a stunning view of the Valley and Flint Mountain Range beyond. It was serene. "What a view" she said to herself. "Wish I was sharing it with someone!"

Sarah picked out a pair of jeans and one of her new western shirts. She pulled on her boots and reached for her bedazzled Stetson. She took a look in the mirror. "At least I look the part," she thought. She rejoined Liz and Bryan in the living room.

--

Garrett was just finishing grooming his pony-horse mare, 'Baby Doll'. "There you go old girl," he whispered into her attentive ear. "All prettied up and ready to go."

Baby Doll let out a little snort and shook her head, just as if she was shaking out her new hairdo. Baby Doll was a sweet and gentle little mare. She was dark tan with a few cream patches with a long blond mane and stood just about 14 hands high. She was really one of Garrett's favorite horses, although he really never rode her much. She was previously a show jumper, but like most of the horses he had on his ranch, the previous owners couldn't keep up with her care. He found her at a rescue. Her mane was knotted and her hooves were badly in need of clipping and cleaning. He had owned her now for a few years and Baby Doll thrived in her new environs with proper care. It was something that always stuck in Garrett's craw. Owning horses was a responsibility and he took it seriously.

Pokey let out a loud long 'whinny'. Garrett came up to his horse in the neighboring stall and rubbed his nose up and down, offering a piece of apple from his pocket. "Don't worry there boy!" He said to the paint. "You're going on this ride too, I won't take her away from you!" He checked the bridle hanging next to the stall. Everything was set to go. He went to open the gates to the adjacent paddock to give them a little room to ride and then to the front of the barn to wait for his guests.

Bryan, Liz and Sarah arrived about 15 minutes later. Bryan pulled his brother in for a big hug. "Thanks for havin' us out here, Garrett!" said Bryan. "I've been looking forward to getting back out here. It's been too long."

"You said it, pardner!" replied Garrett. "You need to make this trip more often! Hello Liz!" Garrett moved his embrace over to his new sister-in-law. "Guess you're family now!" he said leaning in and kissing her on the cheek.

"Sure 'nuff' am!" replied Liz in her best western drawl.

"You're gettin' it!" replied Garrett. "Gonna have to make you an honorary ranch hand! Say! Look at the city-slicker!" he shouted at Sarah. "That hat's gonna scare off all the cattle!" He pulled her in for a hug and a kiss to her cheek.

Sarah protested. "I like this hat. It suits me just fine!"

"I suppose it does," smirked Garrett. "But we're gonna have to keep you outta' the sun! That band may start a brush fire!"

Liz tried to stifle her laugh but only proceeded to snort into her hand. Bryan let out a chuckle as well.

"Gee, thanks you two! Not another word out of you!" scolded Sarah. Bryan just threw up his hands in surrender.

"You all up for a short ride?" asked Garrett.

"Yep!" they all answered.

"Good!" replied Garrett. "Bryan, I know you and Liz can take care of yourselves. Your horses are in the barn on the left. Bryan, go ahead and get them saddled up. Sarah and I will meet you in the paddock."

Bryan took Liz's hand as they made their way to their horses. Garrett picked up Sarah's hand and led her in the other direction.

"Ever ride before, little lady?" he asked.

"Once, a long time ago," stated Sarah.

"Well, don't you worry none," said Garrett. "You'll love Baby Doll, she's the gentlest mare I've ever owned. Here, let me introduce you two." He opened the door to the stall.

"Oh...she's beautiful!" exclaimed Sarah.

"Yep, a beautiful horse for a beautiful lady!" piped Garrett.

Sarah blushed and playfully smacked Garrett on the arm. "You're so sweet!" she said.

"Here," said Garrett. "Let's get you two acquainted." He handed her a piece of apple. "Give her this and go ahead and scratch her cheek. She likes that. Remember to keep your hand flat when you feed her. No need to feed her your fingers!"

Sarah giggled as Baby Doll tickled her hand with her lips grabbing the apple and munching it down. "Oh...I love her!" said Sarah.

"Looks like she likes you too!" said Garrett. "Ok. Let me get the tack on her and we'll get you going!" Garrett began to outfit the horse with the saddle and bridle, explaining as he went. "Do you remember if the horse you rode before was western or english?" he asked.

"I don't think I know the difference," answered Sarah.

"Here, let's get you in the saddle and I'll explain," said Garrett. He stood against the horse and locked his fingers together, making a step for Sarah. "Go ahead and step in my hands and I'll help you up on Baby Doll."

Sarah stepped into Garrett's hand and he easily lifted her up as she swung her other leg over Baby Doll's back.

"There you go!" said Garrett. "Now get your feet into the stirrups." Baby Doll let out a loud snort and bounced her head up and down. "Whoa girl!" Garrett commanded.

Sarah settled into the saddle and picked up the reins into her right hand.

"Yeah, that's western," explained Garrett. "Take one rein in each hand. Baby Doll was trained in the english style."

Sarah adjusted her grip. "You mean like this?"

"Yes, you got it!" replied Garrett. "That's english, you pull on the rein you want to turn towards and you pull both to stop. You look ready, let me lead you out to the paddock before I get on my horse." He led Baby Doll and Sarah out of the barn. As they passed Pokey's stall he let out another loud 'neigh'. He was looking at Sarah and Baby Doll attentively. "Whoa there, Pokey!" Garrett scolded.

Once out in the paddock, Garrett instructed Sarah to take a ride around the perimeter. She gave Baby Doll a gentle kick. Nothing.

"You're probably going to have to be a little more assertive!" laughed Garrett.

"I don't want to hurt her!" worried Sarah.

"Don't worry, you won't," said Garrett. "She likes to ride!"

Sarah kicked her a little harder and Baby Doll slowly began to walk around the paddock. "See if you can get her up to a trot!" called Garrett.

Sarah kicked her once more and yelled, "Come on, girl!" Baby Doll responded with a trot. "I'm doing it!" shouted Sarah.

"You sure are!" Garrett called out encouragingly. "I'll be right back to join you." Garrett walked back into the barn and opened Pokey's stall. He led the horse out into the adjacent paddock.

"Aren't you going to ride in here with me?" asked Sarah.

"Yeah, in a bit," replied Garrett. "But I gotta' get Pokey under control. He doesn't take too kindly to ridin' sometimes." Garrett mounted Pokey in the other paddock and Pokey immediately expressed his distaste for the idea. He ran and bucked in several different directions. Garrett expertly rode his bucking bronco.

"Yee haw!" shouted Bryan as he waved his hat at Garrett. "Ride 'em Cowboy!"

Garrett outlasted his foe and Pokey settled down for a ride. He kicked Pokey into a trot and entered the paddock with Baby Doll and Sarah.

"That was some ride, cowboy!" Sarah exclaimed. "But you have so many horses, why are you riding this one if he's so adamant about bucking you off?"

"Pokey here is sweet on Baby Doll," he replied. "He hates to be away from her. I've had him knock down fences in order to get to her. Can't have him knocking down my barn if you ride Baby Doll away!"

Sarah just looked at Pokey with a smile. The stallion seemed to immediately calm down when he pulled on up next to Baby Doll. They made a few more passes around the paddock.

"Want to try ridin' outside the fence for a while?" asked Garrett.

"Sure!" replied Sarah. The four of them made their way outside the fence line. Liz and Bryan trotted up ahead while Garrett stayed behind with Sarah. Garrett seemed to be a bit preoccupied with Sarah's rhinestones.

"What!?" protested Sarah.

"That hat is blinding me...hmmm," said Garrett. "Guess I'm just gonna have to give you your cowgirl nickname. I'm just gonna' call you 'Sparkles' from now on!"

"Oh no you won't!" protested Sarah, her face turned a beet red.

"I don't see why not," replied Garrett. "You certainly are sparkly. Yep! That's your name when you're out here on the range!"

"Oh really? Then what do I call you?" Sarah said in a huff.

"I'm sure you're thinking of a few good ones right now," chuckled Garrett as Sarah pouted. "What do you want to call me?"

Garrett was right. She had a few not-so-lady-like nicknames she wanted to throw at him, but his wide smile and easy demeanor made her think better of it. After all, they were going to spend the next few days together. Besides, 'Sparkles' wasn't so bad. It was even already starting to grow on her.

"I think I'll just stick with 'cowboy'" she muttered.

"Works for me Sparkles! Heyaw!" he shouted as he kicked Pokey into a gallop to catch up with Bryan and Liz.

"Why you!" shouted Sarah. She gave her mare a kick and they galloped after him. When she caught up to the rest of the posse she stuck her tongue out at Garrett. He responded with a big belly laugh.

"What's that all about?" questioned Liz.

"Sparkles over here doesn't like her new nickname!" explained Garrett.

"Ha!" laughed Liz out loud. Bryan was laughing so hard he nearly fell off his horse.

"Stop it!" yelled Sarah.

"I told you that hat would get you into trouble!" Liz reminded her.

"Too heck with all of you!" Sarah yelled.

"Don't worry little lady," said Garrett. "It's a pretty hat, and the only thing that out sparkles it are your beautiful green eyes!"

Garrett's complement caught her by surprise and completely disarmed her. She felt a little tingle down her spine. It felt good. It was something she seemed to have lost a long time ago. She turned to look at Garrett. How could she be mad at that big cowboy smile?

"I'm glad you've all had your fun!" said Sarah with a bit of a pout, but she flashed a little smile at Garrett. They turned the horses around and headed back to the barn.

Once they'd made it back to the barn and all the horses were taken care of and fed, Garrett handed them the duffles and saddle bags they could use for their luggage on the trip. He asked them to go ahead and pack once they got back to their rooms and that he'd meet them for supper up in the main house.

Despite the relative small size, Sarah was able to pack what she thought she needed to last the trip. She was actually pretty proud of herself when she moved the bags back to the living room. Her pack seemed no bigger than Liz's. She didn't want to overtax Baby Doll. She was such a sweet little horse.

Everyone was in great spirits at dinner. The upcoming adventure had them all talking and laughing. Garrett introduced his 'cookie' to his guests. "You all better eat up this good food tonight because you'll be stuck with my cooking for the next couple of nights!" joked Garrett.

Dinner was delicious. Sarah, Liz and Bryan thanked the cook and their host. As much as they wanted to 'shoot the shit' all night, they knew they'd need to have an early start tomorrow. "Goodnight Bryan and Liz! Goodnight Sparkles!" called Garrett with a tip of his hat.

"Goodnight Cowboy!" said Sarah.

--

After a hearty breakfast the four of them headed up to the barn. The banter all morning had been light and free flowing. Everyone was excited for the trip. Bryan and Garrett outfitted the horses with all the tack and luggage. Garrett rechecked the belt on Baby Doll's saddle before he called them all over for a quick orientation.

"We have about 3-4 hours of riding today," Garrett explained. "I suspect we'll stop for a light lunch about half way. We are in no hurry so if you have to stop for any reason just call out. We'll pass by one of the other remote cabins about half way and we can stop and use the facilities there. Keep an eye out for wildlife, other than that, just have fun. Y'all ready?"

"Sure are!" responded the trio.

"Saddle up!" shouted Garrett. He helped Sarah into the Baby Doll's saddle. He led Pokey out into some space before he swung himself up in the saddle. Pokey decided not to resist this time. Garrett urged Pokey into a trot next to Sarah and Baby Doll as they took the lead.

They took their time as the scenery unfolded before them. Sarah was in awe of the wide open spaces. She had spent most of her time in the city, but now she felt much more comfortable with her surroundings than she ever could have imagined. Each vista was so beautiful and she found she really loved riding Baby Doll. She resolved to just enjoy the next few days as much as she could and forget about her troubles back home.

The trail was wide so they each took turns moving up to ride alongside Garrett or with others in the group. At one point Sarah and Garrett were well ahead of the other two.

Garrett started the conversation. "Sure am glad my brother found a special woman to get hitched to. I can see it in his eyes. He's really in love with Liz. They seem to be a tight couple."

"I know Liz feels the same way about Bryan," Sarah replied. "She's so lucky. I wish I had a man that loved me half as much as Bryan loves her!"

"For the life of me I can't believe that's not the case," responded Garrett. "How can a beautiful woman like you not have a suitor?"

"I have a confession to make," said Sarah. "I thought I'd be engaged by now. I really thought he'd propose..." Sarah began to choke up.

"Yeah," said Garrett. "Bryan let it slip that you had a boyfriend already. He said you were pretty upset at the wedding."

Sarah just nodded in the affirmative.

"Frankly, I can't imagine why he's beatin' the devil around the stump about it," Garrett said with a bit of a smirk.

"What does that mean?" asked Sarah.

"It means he's an idiot for not snapping you up," replied Garrett. "A beautiful lady like you? You should have a long line of cowpokes hankering to get their lasso around you."

"After last week, I don't know if I even have one," confessed Sarah. She looked down at the horn on her saddle.

"Don't sell yourself short, Sparkles," Garrett grinned. "There's at least one cowboy lookin' to follow your trail." Garrett laid into Pokey and they galloped off ahead.

Sarah slowed Baby Doll to a walk. She really didn't know what to think. She looked up at the trail of dust kicked up by Pokey as he galloped off. She was so torn that she didn't know if she wanted to gallop off after him or turn around and gallop all the way back to her apartment. After a few minutes lost in her own mind, Liz saddled up next to her.

"You Ok Sarah?" asked Liz.

Sarah was roused out of her trance. She shook her head up and down. Liz slowed her horse to match Sarah's pace. They watched as Bryan's horse galloped off after his brother.

"He knows," said Sarah.

"About what?" asked Liz.

"About Josh," Sarah said with sadness in her voice. "I'm so confused Liz. I don't even know how to feel."

"That's Josh's fault, not yours!" counseled Liz.

"I know!" replied Sarah. "God, why didn't he just propose? Then I wouldn't even be faced with this!"

"With what?" asked Liz.

"Garrett!" exclaimed Sarah. "God! He's so...He's so...wonderful! I've had butterflies in my stomach this whole trip!"

Liz just smiled. "What's wrong with that?" asked Liz

"Josh is what's wrong with it!" protested Sarah. "What if I fall for Garrett and Josh proposes when I get back? Then what? How in the hell can I make that choice? I don't want to be in that position!"

"Maybe Josh won't propose after all," offered Liz.

"I'm not that lucky," said Sarah.

"Listen to you!" shouted Liz. "Last week having Josh propose to you was all you could talk about, now you don't even want it!"

"Yeah...and that's your fault for meddling in my life!" complained Sarah. "I was just fine before you set all this up."

"No you weren't, don't lie!" said Liz. "You were a mess. Tell you what. I'll make sure that anything that happens out here stays out here. Why don't you just see where things go?"

"Oh yeah?" said Sarah. "How are you going to keep Bryan from spilling the beans?"

"Don't worry about him," smirked Liz. "Tonight when I've got one hand on his cock and the other wrapped around his balls I'll give him a little squeeze and make him promise not to tell. You won't need to worry about him!"

Sarah gasped, "you wouldn't!" but Liz just started to laugh out loud.

"Damn right I would!" laughed Liz.

Sarah realized she was laughing too. It was just like Liz to bring her out of her doldrums. She'd been doing it all her life.

--

The rest of the ride was filled with sunny weather, clear blue skies and more amazing views. Sarah spotted more elk and deer than she could count. Beautiful bald eagles carved spirals in the sky. She even enjoyed the part of the ride when they came up on one of the herds of Garrett's cattle. Several new calves romped around the field next to their mothers. Watching the little ones go in for a drink on their mother's udders just made her think about the circle of life. She felt at peace with nature.